WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR APRIL 2014

Options

Replies

• jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Good Morning Ladies,

I am new to all of this and a friend said this is a great place to be.

Have a fabulous day!

Donna

You treat this lady nice!!!!! She is a nice woman. And don't tell her anything bad about me:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Joyce, Indiana
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Cindy, it's not the cost of the granola that gets me, I can handle it. What gets me is the sweet taste is so addicting.
  • Cindy781
    Cindy781 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Good evening Ladies,

Went over my calories at dinner. We went to a great Italian restaurant. Back at it tomorrow.

Joyce, sugar is addicting. I understand, I used to make my own granola with dates and figs. It was hard to stop eating it once you started.

Have a great evening everyone.

Cindy in OK
  • nccarolb
    nccarolb Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the encouraging words. I feel some better now. I went ahead and logged to the best of my ability. I don't know what was going on in my head when I thought I could walk into a bakery and come out with one doughnut hole or something! :noway: I know for sure that my body is changing, though--it rejected (literally) what I was putting into it. A year ago I would have eaten twice as much and walked away as if it was nothing. I have been craving bread and bread type items for the past couple of days which probably made everything worse. I did exercise off the calories! To repeat what was being quoted over much of the world last night: "It is finished." (Sorry, I'm way too involved in churches!)

I did get some good news today. I took my car in for his new brakes and tire rotation this morning and asked them to also check to see if they could figure out what the clanking/clinking noise underneath was. They couldn't find anything wrong, but the noise was gone when I picked it up. The owner even went for a ride with me to see if we could hear it. As I had hoped, pulling the wheels seems to have fixed it. He also assured me that the things the dealership quoted me over $700 to repair were actually not issues at all! He said it was normal and the things they were making such a fuss about were just protective coverings and that the car would be okay without them if they did ever completely fall off. Dang!! I've been using this same business for brakes and tires for over 25 years and I trust them so much more than the dealership. I need to write them a thank you note!

So, tomorrow is Easter and, in the age old tradition, I have something new to wear--including shoes. I purchased a pair of heels for the first time in MANY years and was excited about wearing them tomorrow. But, then I found out I was going to have to be "hall monitor" during worship because the scheduled volunteer is out of town (at least she let me know!) and that means being on my feet for the entire hour (or more). Now I'm re-thinking what I should wear. I have something else new, but it is not "springy" at all so I need to decide how important my vanity is. :laugh: If I wasn't also serving as usher, I would just wear whatever and not think twice about it, but I do need/want to be conscious of appearing put together since I will be very visible for that part. I guess I could just go barefoot while everyone is in worship and put on shoes for ushering... :tongue:

Anyway, I hope everyone gets a good night's sleep and wakes up refreshed and ready to fight the demons of chocolate bunnies and marshmallow eggs.

Carol in NC
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,381 Member
    Options
    Joyce - what inventive clues you would gave! I don't think there is anything bad for Drandmadp to say about you!

jb - so glad the recital went so well. I just knew it would. Thanks for the definition of an optimist. Really liked it

drandmadp - welcome. Tell us a little more about yourself.

Moondoggz - you joined by posting! Now whenever you go to the "community" tab, it'll be under "my topics"

Gloria - I only wear my HRM when I do spinning. I find that when I do spinning it is so so easy for me to get into my anaerobic zone, so I do keep track of that. I don't feel "weird" or anything, not lightheaded or feel like I'm in tacharcardia. I probably wouldn't even have noticed yesterday if it weren't for the fact that I had my HRM on because I was doing spinning. So is it back to normal? Honestly, I don't know. I can tell you that I don't feel different at all. I figure that as long as I feel fine, things are OK.

I know that I'll go over on the calories today since we're going to have our Easter dinner tonight and will probably go over tomorrow since we'll most likely go out after church (that is, IF i can convince Vince that we should. Maybe if Jessica and I gang up on him he'll relent). But I also know that as soon as Jessica leaves, I'll be back to "normal" eating.

It was interesting -- you know how I have always said that fat and sugar combined are my downfall? Well, they still are, but while making Kris' cake yesterday I realized that I wanted so much less.

Gloria - I woudn't force Aaron to go on the hunt. He might be outgrowing it, he might be grieving, but in either case I wouldn't force him to do anything.

Did an hour of Jari Love Ripped 1000 DVD today. I think the idea is that you (supposedly) burn 1000 calories. I don't think so. Tomorrow I'll do some training games on the Wii. I think there's one where you "cycle" to get these flags. I can never get the last one but time seems to go by quickly.

Renny - glad you're feeling better. Sleep really helps, so get lots

Donna - hey there

Carol in NC - did you make yourself vomit or was that your body rebelling?

Heather - you can add me to the "cha cha girl" list!

kayzoola - it seeems the more I eat veges, the more and more I want them. It used to be that I really liked my fruit. I still like it, but now it seems that I'm constantly looking for different veges.

Went and did my lectoring tonight. Honestly, at these bi-lingual masses, maybe it's just me, but I don't get a thing out of it. I suppose I might if one reading was in English and then the same one was in Spanish, but there were 4 different readings, I only understood the 2 that were in English. The other two I was completely clueless about.

yanniejannie - after we put down a lot of the riverrock last year (remember, I'm sure you do), a friend said to me "oh, the snakes like rocks". I almost passed out! I HATE snakes. If anyone has anything at all that repels them, I'm willing to give it a try.

looseseal - welcome! Which app do you use? I used a few different ones before coming here. Glad to have ya!

Well, tonight we had our Easter dinner and then the two cakes I made for Kris's birthday. I know I went over. You know something? Now I feel so "yukky". It honestly didn't used to be like this. Right now I'm having a cup of tea to try to settle my stomach. In some ways I can't wait until Jess and Kris leave so I can get back to "normal" eating. Well, I think she's planning to leave around noon tomorrow, Kris has to be at work at 9p.m. Can't even bear to look at people's food diaries tonight, just the sight of the written food is too much. This would NEVER have happened a year ago, not in a million years. My, how things change!

Michele in NC
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,651 Member
    Options
    Yanniejannie - How funny, I thought of you as tall…. I am only 5’1” so a shorty too…. I will look into the Kellerman’s I love mysteries and historical in particular! :smile:

Barbie – I am with your friend’s hubby – I would not be eating the easter bunny unless he/she was chocolate! I am going to have trouble leaving out sauces… I am such a foodie! I’ll be playing with ways to make stuff “lighter”! :smile:

Pat- Wow they are talented. I have never even heard of “Shag Dancing” but I would fall over if I tried any of his leg moves! (in all honesty I can’t dance at all) :ohwell:

Looseseal, Donna – welcome!

Carol – Great news about the car!!! :bigsmile:

Michele - I am glad to hear that tastes are changing - I am just begining to get a hint of it... but wasn't sure - that will make things easier... :smile:

Smiles Kim in N. Cal.
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,328 Member
    Options
    Good Easter morning my friends!

The rain I was wanting for the garden has been very feeble, but I continue to hope for more. DH says he will water if it doesn't rain, but he never puts enough on.:grumble: He seems to have a blind spot about watering the veg and I can't get any sense out of him about some sort of system to make life easier. :noway:
    Today I am grateful for having no visitors :ohwell: and not having to cook and entertain a crowd.:ohwell: Really.:tongue::laugh:
    I think I will have a go at modelling my gorgeous granddaughter in icing this afternoon. If I can do it I will have a great sense of achievement. :bigsmile: We are seeing them again on Friday up in London, so not too long to wait.:love:

I did a good workout this morning so I will be able to stick to my calories. No chocolate in the house, apart from cooking chocolate. :bigsmile:

DH managed to have a talk with his nephew yesterday as they were walking back to the cars after football. The young man is very emotional and confused. He doesn't want to talk to his mother as he feels she disapproves and will get on his case, so he is not answering his phone to her. He is obviously very besotted with the young woman he is seeing and says his life as the father of a young baby has been nothing but unappreciated nagging. I feel for everyone concerned because I love them, not least DH'S lovely sister.:brokenheart: :heart: I expect she fears she will lose her only granddaughter.

Enjoy your celebrations, those of you who are having them.:love: Otherwise, enjoy your own company.:flowerforyou: :love: :heart: I am reading a new "spiritual" book as I like to have one on my Kindle and hence on my phone for times when I am hanging about. This one is "The Wise Heart" by Jack Kornfield. I read The Path With Heart many years ago when I was in turmoil and I found it helpful. These days I find the books good for sleepless nights.:laugh:

Heather in gloomy, but not exactly raining, Hampshire UK
  • DeeDee2211
    DeeDee2211 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Good morning beautiful ladies:flowerforyou:

Popping in today to wish a very happy and joyful Easter to those that celebrate:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: !!!

Hugs,
    DeeDee in NC
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    Happy Easter to all who celebrate & Happy Spring day to everyone. We are going to DDs,just 6 miles.
    DD will do the ham,deviled eggs & salad. Son in laws family will also be there. Everyone will take something.
    Weather is amazing! Sunny 74* today,77* tomorrow.
    Easter memories .........there were 4 kids,so a family of 6,we had all our holidays at home.Colored eggs,lots of chocolate & peeps.The kids all got new outfits,
    Easter baskets & Mom's good cooking :love: Loved having a new outfit & way too often we had to wear our old winter coat
    because it was snowing or cold rain.:grumble: no one could see my new clothes.:cry:
    One reason our holidays were at home,was because our step Dad's Mother wasn't happy that Dad married a woman with 3 kids.
    Funny the things we can be thankful for.......he was a wonderful Dad who loved seeing his kids having a good time.They went all
    out for holidays,birthdays & Christmas was a magical time.

Kim,Glad you liked the dancing.Even DH watched it.Never heard of the dance,we called it jitterbug :flowerforyou:
  • cityjaneLondon
    Options
    I remember one year having a new yellow coat for Easter, a yellow hat and cream gloves. I felt amazing. I must have been about 10 years old. Afterwards I hardly ever had an opportunity to wear a yellow coat so my mother had it died navy. It came out a sort of dirty blue. I had to wear it though as a shadow of its former self. :cry:

It has rained, though we could do with more.:frown:

My step daughter rang DH and asked his opinion on a man she had met, liked very much, but didn't "fancy". He did his best, bless him, with advice.:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :love:

Heather in still gloomy, so I'm hopeful, Hampshire UK.
  • Cindy781
    Options
    Happy Easter Everyone,

I hope everyone has a wonderful day! It is rainy here in Oklahoma. I stepped on the scale this morning to see if last nights dinner added pounds and am happy to say no!

Heather, I read A Path With Heart years ago too, it helped me through a difficult time as well. I also like There's A Spiritual Solution to Every Problem by Dr. Wayne Dyer. I agree with you that books are a great comfort. Best wishes on modeling your granddaughter.

Welcome everyone new.

Hugs,

Cindy in OK:heart:
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Happy Easter.Have a good one.
    Off to church.
    Hugs jane
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Welcome newcomers! This is indeed a great place to hang out!

OMG, I just watched those kids dance in that utube video. They were amazing! Thanks for posting the link. I once had a sister in law who lost a lot of weight by jitterbugging. It was her exercise plan. I wish I could dance, but alas, I am very uncoordinated.

Today I put the ham in the crock pot. I read online how to do it, so I hope it works. It'll be a very expensive experiment if it doesn't. I have cut the watermelon so far, and shucked the corn. And I baked a chocolate poke cake. Resting a bit before I start the rest.

Molly was outside barking for hours last night, and hubby finally went out with a flashlight and saw that she had something up a tree. Not sure what, possibly a raccoon or a cat. He just saw beady eyes glowing in the light. So he put her on the leash and brought her inside.

The kids are coming around noon.

If you celebrate a religious holiday today, I wish you a happy one. If not, I wish you a happy day anyway!

Sylvia
  • kathrineb57
    kathrineb57 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Hi to everyone, Wishing you a Happy Easter, a glorious Spring Day, a many happy memories with your family and friends.

I read in a little Diabetic Healthy booklet something you all would find interesting, I am sure. I tried to scan it, and post it, scanning I did, it was the posting part that confused me. So here it is without the graphics.

DO THE MATH - Walking X 30 min. = 150 calories burned = 1 cream-filled chocolate egg

I hope the Easter Bunny does NOT pay a visit to your house with those Cadbury eggs.

Be healthy and strong women.

Kathrine from Kansas
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,785 Member
    Options
    morning all ma Happy Easter to those who celebrate..
    went for a race walk this morning, and DH even brought be a cup of tea in bed..
    only because I teased him about bringing his Ex coffee in bed :laugh:
    anyway that was nice, made him cheesy hashbrowns with ham for breakfast, he wasnt to happy, I thought it would be something different but he thought it was more of a dinner thing~ OH well...
    doing a turkey breast.. stuffing,salad for me with a baked sweet potato and corn for the boys...and made a coconut poke cake yesterday for dessert.
    DH out doing yardwork... I am waiting to skype with DGD and DD, so will do that and then get the turkey breast in the oven...
    going to take the boys for a walk, then skype.. beautiful weather here today...:heart:
  • jb_2011
    jb_2011 Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Good morning, happy Easter.

When I was growing up, my family would always have Easter dinner together if we weren't camping at the Colorado river for Easter Week, which is what we called it then. We'd load up a week's worth of clothes, camp gear and food, and with boat in tow, we'd travel to the river for a week of waterskiing, fishing, singing around the campfire and sleeping on cots in the big tent. :bigsmile: Such fond memories. My mom informed me many years later that she didn't enjoy camping....too much work on her part taking care of 3 kids, doing the cooking, dishes, cleaning up camp, etc. Of course she never let on. :huh:

Today I'll be sowing more flower seeds for summer color. :flowerforyou: I've got to do some transplanting as well...some of the seedlings have grown too large for their little pots. Once I've done that, I'll move them from under the grow-lights to the greenhouse where they'll be protected for another few weeks before planting out.

There were boxes of cookies leftover from the recital, I took them to my lesson studio yesterday for the kids to have next week. I tossed lots of them in the trash, and brought a few home, what a bad idea. :angry: Got that out of my system, the rest are going to work with me tomorrow. No sugar for me today. :tongue:

Thanks for your congrats on a successful show the other night~ it was a good one! :flowerforyou:

Looseseal, and all of the new ladies, welcome! Yes, there's always room for one more. Hop right in. :bigsmile:

:smile: jb in Portland
  • meyllisa
    meyllisa Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Happy Easter everyone, wishing you a great day

Juanita in sudbury
  • cityjaneLondon
    Options
    Here she is - the fruit of my Easter Sunday afternoon! The face looks a bit devillish, but I am quite pleased with her and relieved to have done it. Her rabbits to go with her on the top will be easy in comparison. Phew!:happy: :happy: :heart: Those are also some of the big daisies - I have also done lots of smaller ones and need to do the centres.

It has been RAINING all afternoon! Hooray! :flowerforyou: :drinker: :bigsmile:

Heather UK
  • Cindy781
    Options
    Heather, she is lovely! You are gifted!

Cindy in OK
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    yanniejannie - after we put down a lot of the riverrock last year (remember, I'm sure you do), a friend said to me "oh, the snakes like rocks". I almost passed out! I HATE snakes. If anyone has anything at all that repels them, I'm willing to give it a try.

Michele in NC

I hate snakes, too. The worst my neighborhood has to offer are garter snakes and knowing they aren't dangerous doesn't help a bit. I did discover that they love to eat slugs, and slugs are attracted to doggy poo so I've been doing a diligent job keeping the poop scooped. It has made some difference. One of my neighbors has a snake catching cat, and she was "rescuing" the snakes and putting them into MY lawn. She made fun of me for my aversion to snakes. I told her to release the snakes at HER house.