I'm running a marathon...

Options

Replies

• firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I don't require anybodies pity and the NHS don't give you therapists unless you are going to kill yourself (trust me I've asked)

Just like they give you sub-standard rubbish wheelchairs that don't work on old cobbled streets and expect you to deal with it.

Nope it was a crap idea, I know that now, I will just have to tell him I can no longer run in any way and therefore can't fundraise for him. He hasn't lost anything I suppose, its just a shame for all of us. I would have crawled round that course if need be but you are all right, when it comes to 'going the distance' I am just a bit crap.

So I quit right now.

Was a stupid idea.

Are you able to find a therapist? A quick look-through of your post history shows that others have certainly recommended this for you, even months ago, so it seems like it's something you should really look into. I saw that you had one but it was a way aways? If you were willing to put the time in to train for a year for a marathon, you should definitely funnel that motivation into traveling to your counselor.

I can't emphasize enough how much a therapist is needed and will help you.
  • TAsunder
    TAsunder Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I would think that people would donate enough to get the guy a wheelchair even if you attached it to a 5k.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I've already been pledged £300 by friends and family, so I can do this!

I hope you're going to give the money back?
  • HMB_87
    HMB_87 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Good luck!!
  • badbcatha05
    badbcatha05 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Threads like this make me sad that I have a job and can't devote more time to the forums . . .

Today is my day off. How serendipitous that I finished my own 11 miles this morning and was able to come back and enjoy this today!
  • DYELB
    DYELB Posts: 7,407 Member
    Options
    I don't require anybodies pity and the NHS don't give you therapists unless you are going to kill yourself (trust me I've asked)

Just like they give you sub-standard rubbish wheelchairs that don't work on old cobbled streets and expect you to deal with it.

Nope it was a crap idea, I know that now, I will just have to tell him I can no longer run in any way and therefore can't fundraise for him. He hasn't lost anything I suppose, its just a shame for all of us. I would have crawled round that course if need be but you are all right, when it comes to 'going the distance' I am just a bit crap.

So I quit right now.

Was a stupid idea.

If you're going to throw in the towel based on this how could you possibly hope to finish a marathon?
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options

So I quit right now.

Was a stupid idea.

Are you able to find a therapist? A quick look-through of your post history shows that others have certainly recommended this for you, even months ago, so it seems like it's something you should really look into. I saw that you had one but it was a way aways? If you were willing to put the time in to train for a year for a marathon, you should definitely funnel that motivation into traveling to your counselor.

I can't emphasize enough how much a therapist is needed and will help you.

http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/Counselling/Pages/Introduction.aspx

You don't have to be suicidal to get counselling in the UK

But I imagine you gave up trying to do that as well.
  • FeebRyan
    FeebRyan Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I have no access to a therapist, trust me I have tried.

Anyway being a bit mental is nothing compared to not being able to get out in nature or achieve anything which is why I wanted to help my friend, that is what he is facing right now.

I honestly thought it was something I could proactively do to help. Obviously not. I'll definitely help him with charity applications and so on, just not with the half/full marathon.

Nobody has donated yet so that is easier.

I just thought it was some way that I could really help.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    If my friend needed a wheelchair, and I had to run 100 miles to get it, there is not a thing in this world that would stop me, whether or not I was going to have the time to properly train for the distance.

Sack up and do it, or don't, but don't blame the internetz if you quit before you even try.
  • FeebRyan
    Options
    LOL at people thinking they have any comprehension of the NHS counselling service because they have looked on google

and seriously, people who find the end of someones dream to help a mate some sort of massive entertainment? Good for you, what lovely people you are.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

Anyway being a bit mental is nothing compared to not being able to get out in nature or achieve anything which is why I wanted to help my friend, that is what he is facing right now.

I honestly thought it was something I could proactively do to help. Obviously not. I'll definitely help him with charity applications and so on, just not with the half/full marathon.

And then YOU decided you couldn't.
  • TAsunder
    TAsunder Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    If my friend needed a wheelchair, and I had to run 100 miles to get it, there is not a thing in this world that would stop me, whether or not I was going to have the time to properly train for the distance.

Sack up and do it, or don't, but don't blame the internetz if you quit before you even try.

Actually this plan is kind of genius now that I think about it.

Step 1 - Run 100 miles without adequate training, thus injuring yourself
    Step 2 - Go to the doctor, who will prescribe a wheelchair since you can't walk anymore
    Step 3 - Give it to the friend.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options

There are plenty of other races distances that you could prepare for and fund raise for. 5K? 10K? Half Marathon? Just because you interpreted (yes, you interpreted, it was not told to you) that you won't be able to do a marathon, does not mean that you do not have the ability to run at all.
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options
    LOL at people thinking they have any comprehension of the NHS counselling service because they have looked on google

and seriously, people who find the end of someones dream to help a mate some sort of massive entertainment? Good for you, what lovely people you are.

Um, she is in the UK and you have no idea what her knowledge base is regarding access to them. Just because she linked a page doesn't mean she doesn't have first hand knowledge.
  • FeebRyan
    Options
    I'll find other ways to help him. Got to be easier than all this.

I would have done the running as much as needed and as long as needed but all this 'you dont know what your talking about your such a **** you haven't the time how could you possibly think you would be ready/good enough' stuff is enough to put anyone off.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options

I'm in England - I know LOTS about the counselling service in the NHS. Several of my friends get counselling on the NHS.

LOL at people who make assumptions about others.

edit: joffed :laugh:
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options

There are plenty of other races distances that you could prepare for and fund raise for. 5K? 10K? Half Marathon? Just because you interpreted (yes, you interpreted, it was not told to you) that you won't be able to do do a marathon, does not mean that you do not have the ability to run at all.

For the record when she changed her mind to the half marathon distance every single person who commented on that was really supportive and encouraging of that idea.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

Well LOL to you at thinking that the people advising you on NHS soley googled it. I mean, they couldn't POSSIBLY live in England either....or have to deal with NHS, right? You are like, literally the ONLY MFP person there I guess.
  • FeebRyan
    Options
    No I do know that she has no experience of them or she wouldn't be suggesting that getting counselling on the NHS is some sort of easy process, it isn't and anyone who has been involved with them will know that.

Anyway, I've been reminded quite clearly that I can't achieve what I need to so I am moving on, I suggest you all do the same. Life goes on, I am a continuous disappointment, this is no different, its silly that I thought it could be.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    You don't have to be suicidal to get counselling in the UK

But I imagine you gave up trying to do that as well.

The waiting list is about two years long, and as it tends to be CBT it's unlikely to be appropriate for depression, which previous posts indicate are the issue.

Broadly what I was alluding to earlier on when I pointed out just how demanding the training is. While running, or indeed any physical activity, can help with depression, there is no point in setting an excessive target too early. As we've seen the outcome of that today...
This discussion has been closed.