Anyone taking Adipex (Phentermine)?

Options

Replies

• deezo16
    deezo16 Posts: 7
    Options
    PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!!! LOL. I've been on wellbutrin for about two months for depression and has been really helping me out, but come to find out one of the side effects is appetite suppressant. it is helping me with both my issues no longer hungry no longer want to eat I'm well under 2000 calories a day from about 4000. my question is can I /should I combine wellbutrin and Phentermine together is anyone taking the two together? I going to ask my doc this week if he will write me a script. Please I need advice I've heard there are a lot of bad side effects from Phentermine is it worth the risk compared to the weight loss???thank you for your time guys please feel free to add me. Happy Easter!!!
  • Junebuggyzy
    Junebuggyzy Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Deezo, your post sounds really spammy, but I hope you are really asking for help.
    1. Why do you need Phentermine if you don't feel like eating?
    2. Welbutrin never suppressed my appetite when I took it for a few years.
  • deezo16
    Options
    spammy??? yes i'm really asking... Wellbutrin is well known for reducing hunger sorry you didn't have the same effects
  • Junebuggyzy
    Options
    spammy??? yes i'm really asking...

Sorry, Deez, I wasn't sure. So it sounds like the Welbutrin is helping, and you want to know if you started taking Adipex, if it would help you even more? It might be helpful to talk to your doctor about it and see what he or she thinks about it. Do you have a lot more weight to lose?
  • idohair3
    idohair3 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I took these same drug years ago . I did lose 75 pounds unfortunately I lost it so quick that my gallbladder started developing stones and I had to have my gall bladder removed. You can lose weight with the help of this drug, but at some point you will have to come off of it and sometimes maintaining a weight loss is harder than trying to lose weight. Good luck to you. Most of us on this site know exactly how you feel....
  • deezo16
    Options
    no worries in a perfect world I would like to lose 50 lbs
  • Junebuggyzy
    Options
    I took these same drug years ago . I did lose 75 pounds unfortunately I lost it so quick that my gallbladder started developing stones and I had to have my gall bladder removed. You can lose weight with the help of this drug, but at some point you will have to come off of it and sometimes maintaining a weight loss is harder than trying to lose weight. Good luck to you. Most of us on this site know exactly how you feel....

Oh boy, that sounds painful. You make a really good point. The hard part is coming off of the drug. I have found that my appetite comes back with a vengeance. I had my internist prescribe it for me before, and he really didn't monitor me. Now I am going to a diet clinic. I feel much safer getting my blood pressure taken each month, and discussing concerns and problems with the doctor. Getting monitored is making all the difference in the world. I told the doctor my fears of coming off the drug. She said she will wean me off of it very gradually and monitor me for a few months after that.
  • deezo16
    Options
    thanks for your response im just worried about the side effect I've read they can be really bad any where from headache to hair loss to having a stroke...
  • Junebuggyzy
    Options
    For most people (women especially) the fear of being fat or staying fat or getting fat is simply the fear of being socially ostracized, socially marginalized, less loveable or unlovable. Sad but true.

Good point. It reminds me of that cartoon where a tubby man looks in a mirror and sees a guy with a hunky physique. And a slender female looks in the mirror and sees an overweight, out of shape woman.

I like that my daughter's generation doesn't seem to be affected by it. Or maybe it's just her and her friends that are secure in who they are. I grew up with big sisters that had magazines laying around that showed us what was wrong with us and what we needed to change. I believed every word.
  • Nicolee_2014
    Nicolee_2014 Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options
    I took diet pills. Lost 8kgs in about 6-7 weeks. Didn't notice any difference really, aside from the scales. My clothes still fit the same etc. Then fast-track 8 months. I gained all the weight back that I had lost. Wasn't worth it for me.
  • ItzBubble
    Options
    So, I've been trolling these Adipex threads for about a week now. I started on Adipex 5 days ago. I'm 29, 5'5, HW- 190, SW 181, CW- 172. I also have PCOS, and a family history of Type 2 Diabetes (but not me).

I have a history of dieting- more intensely at times but basically for the past 15 years I've always felt like I was on a diet. I've gotten to the point where exercise is just part of my daily routine- i workout frequently- weights, crossfit, hot yoga, spin, cardio 5-6 days a week.

Because I've been "on a diet" for so long I really do make mostly healthy choices, but I had become slightly relaxed on just how healthy I was eating.

Well, I kicked it up a notch at the beginning of the year (Jan 2014) . I cut my my caloric intake to 1,200-1,400 range and my weight had barely budged in 3 months- literally I lost 2 pounds in 3 months.

I went to see my doc in March and told him I was just so frustrated. Its almost depressing to do it all right- measure, count, weigh, track, exercise and see NOTHING change. So he gave me Adipex. But i didn't start taking it right then. First I decided to try one more thing- eat for my PCOS.

So 5 weeks ago I went low GI, low carb and I cut grains, legumes, sugar, dairy, soy and alcohol- 90% of the time (a few cheats here and there so I can stay on track). In those 4.5 weeks i lost another 2 lbs.

Finally i said screw this- and started taking Adipex. In 5 days I've lost 3.2 more lbs. I hope that the weight keeps coming off for me.

All these people that say "track and exercise and you'll lose weight"... its sadly not always true for everyone.

I'm so worried that once I stop taking it, even though I will maintain my exercise and low carb/ essentially paleo lifestyle, I will start gaining again. I cant keep going on like this- Being obsessed with food/ calories and depressed over my body and weight, and the inability to lose weight.

Has anyone been in a similar situation? Made Healthy choices, regular exercise and still not able to lose- took Adipex, had success and kept it off?
  • Kellyjo145
    Kellyjo145 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I do not think you are supposed to take antidepressants with diet pills. I would for sure check with your pharmacist before combing. They will likely know more about serious interactions than your doctor.
  • megans1980
    megans1980 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    My personal experience with Phentermine was not a good one. It was GREAT while I was taking it. I lost 35 pounds in a few months and loved it! As soon as I stopped taking it the weight started to pile on. After 6 months being off of it....I had gained 60 pounds more than my starting weight. I am still struggling to take that weigh off. :(

What they don't tell you is how confused your body becomes once you stop taking it.
  • idojpdx
    idojpdx Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I do not think you are supposed to take antidepressants with diet pills. I would for sure check with your pharmacist before combing. They will likely know more about serious interactions than your doctor.

It can be done. When fenfluramine was pulled from the fen-phen combination (and the market) years ago, many doctors started prescribing phen with certain antidepressants.

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB1008283866328426880
  • idojpdx
    Options
    My personal experience with Phentermine was not a good one. It was GREAT while I was taking it. I lost 35 pounds in a few months and loved it! As soon as I stopped taking it the weight started to pile on. After 6 months being off of it....I had gained 60 pounds more than my starting weight. I am still struggling to take that weigh off. :(

What they don't tell you is how confused your body becomes once you stop taking it.

I'm sorry to hear you had a poor result. I lost 60+ pounds on phen about 20 years ago, and I was fine when I came off it. I maintained the loss for 12 years +/- 5 lbs. because I continued to track calories and exercise. I had a baby and got lazy, so I gained much of it back, but I'm back on track again. I have gained plenty of weight back after dieting without phen, too. In my case, I think it's more about retaining good habits than it is some sort of post-phen whiplash.
  • atipsycherry
    Options
    I used it a few years ago with great success, I did gain the weight back but only because of my pregnancy. I felt it really helped and I would use it again if I could. I now live in Ohio and the drug laws are very different than in Florida. I think as long as you realize you must keep the life style change up, you can keep the weight off after you get off them.
  • idojpdx
    Options
    I used it a few years ago with great success, I did gain the weight back but only because of my pregnancy. I felt it really helped and I would use it again if I could. I now live in Ohio and the drug laws are very different than in Florida. I think as long as you realize you must keep the life style change up, you can keep the weight off after you get off them.

My experience exactly. Ugh.
  • Junebuggyzy
    Options
    Same here. It's really tough, too, when the appetite comes back gangbusters.
  • Junebuggyzy
    Options
    Junebuggy,

You're lucky to have such a daughter. There'll be so much less to worry about as she gets older :)

I believed all the evil advice and suggestions of Cosmo, Mademoiselle and Glamour magazines too. Including what a terrific idea it was to *kitten* around. Which they're still advocating, by the way, for women in their marketing sphere. I suppose it made up for how fat and ugly I felt too when I was in my 20s and a mere 140 lbs at 5'6'' - courtesy of what those magazines suggested. How wrong I was.

Those mags are *really* bad.

I'm so glad I undid that brainwashing in my 30s. When I was actually fat. HA HA HA HA HA HA! The unexpected silver lining :)

Nice to meet you Junebuggy.

Nice to meet you too, Newmeadow!

My sister and I were recently looking at old photos of ourselves where we were tiny! And we thought we were fat, at a Size 5. I wonder if those magazines have anything to do with young girls becoming anorexic.

I never really undid the brainwashing. Bu I am somewhat more realistic now. I can look in the mirror now, at 140 and 5'1 and I like what I see. 140 is still over the range that is supposed to be normal for my height. I wear an XL, but I still feel good. A few months ago, when I was in Plus Sized clothing, I felt miserable about how I looked.

It's kind of embarrassing to say, but I probably care more about how I will look than about the health benefits of losing weight.
  • Junebuggyzy
    Options
    Has anyone been in a similar situation? Made Healthy choices, regular exercise and still not able to lose- took Adipex, had success and kept it off?

I have heard other people say that they are eating 1200 calories and exercising, and still not losing weight. I wonder if it is from
    "being on a diet" so much that metabolism gets kind of wacky.

One thing about diet pills, it is really easy to just not eat enough in the beginning. That usually goes away after a week or so. For me, staying under 1200 including exercise is still a challenge, but it is easier when I am taking Phentermine.