i dont understand what a "dirty eater" is...??

Options

Replies

• CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    So you're telling me that because I choose not to eat wheat, white flour, fast food, cake, cupcakes, cookies, brownies, cheesecake, ice cream, soda, caffeine, candy, etc. because I know they aren't healthy and won't do any good for me, I have an eating disorder? LOL okay. That makes a lot of sense...
    Unless you have a variety of food intolerances/allergies, all of those have the potential to 'do good' and none of them are specifically unhealthy when incorporated into an appropriately focused diet.

I'm gluten free (and dairy free for the most part) because I have Crohn's disease. I can't eat processed foods and refined carbs because I have severe insulin resistance and hypoglycemia. My health is more important to me than incorporating those foods into my diet.

mentioning that in your original post would of been useful...

You really didn't see that coming? Do you even MFP?! :wink:
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    So you're telling me that because I choose not to eat wheat, white flour, fast food, cake, cupcakes, cookies, brownies, cheesecake, ice cream, soda, caffeine, candy, etc. because I know they aren't healthy and won't do any good for me, I have an eating disorder? LOL okay. That makes a lot of sense...
    Unless you have a variety of food intolerances/allergies, all of those have the potential to 'do good' and none of them are specifically unhealthy when incorporated into an appropriately focused diet.

I'm gluten free (and dairy free for the most part) because I have Crohn's disease. I can't eat processed foods and refined carbs because I have severe insulin resistance and hypoglycemia. My health is more important to me than incorporating those foods into my diet.

mentioning that in your original post would of been useful...

You really didn't see that coming? Do you even MFP?! :wink:

lol, I guess I am slow today..it is Monday ..
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Processed foods are typically high carb, high in saturated and trans fat, and high in sugar.
    So not actually anything to do with processing?

Of course that too. The processing of food diminishes the quality. So much crap is added to food nowadays… sugar, white flour, hydrogenated oils, food additives, etc.
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options

Of course that too. The processing of food diminishes the quality. So much crap is added to food nowadays… sugar, white flour, hydrogenated oils, food additives, etc.
    So, how exactly does 'processing' food diminish the quality (we still haven't defined processed very well)?
    As for the things you mention nope, sugar and white flour are perfectly fine (maybe not for you, but for most people).
    Hydrogenated oil in excess I'd agree could be questionable, but in the UK at least is rare these days.
    'Food additives' is such a broad description that I don't see how you could claim it must be 'crap'.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

Do you also have diabetes and phenylketonuria?

Considering I have an A1c of 3.9, no, I don't have diabetes. And if I had PKU, I would've been diagnosed at birth.

So what's wrong with all the non gluten stuff you listed?
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    It's mostly an oppositey concept from "clean eating" which also has no firm definition.

The vague generalities are that some people insist that weight loss happens when one "cleans up" their diet and rids it of foods they deem to be unwelcome. Some people omit fats, others sugars, some carbs, etc, etc. Some go whole hog and just keep omitting till they are eating gum and tic tacs. LOL just an exaggeration but you get the point. The numerous diet "plans" out there do a lot to define "good" foods "bad" or "off limits" foods "free foods" and etc.

Other people "dirty" eaters feel that no particular foods are bad and that the cal goal itself is all that's necessary to lose weight. These people are considered "dirty" eaters because they will eat any number of things that are off limits to the person who has decided to become a "clean eater".

That's the general idea. In a nutshell. Which no one can eat. That's truly off limits to everyone. Fer reals.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Processed foods are typically high carb, high in saturated and trans fat, and high in sugar.

so I guess naturally occurring sugar is "good" but added sugar is "crap"…?
  • RHachicho
    RHachicho Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    Ok here's my opinion. Dirty eating is just fine in moderation. The thing is "dirty" foods tend to be relatively high in calorie for their volume and low in nutritional content. So if you fill up our diet plan with dirty food you will be very VERY tempted to cheat. Your body will be crying out for it's missing nutrition and the small amount of food you are able to eat won't trigger your satiety hormones very well. in short you will be hungry for more all the time. Not to mention the fact that sugar is metabolically addictive. So yeah you CAN lose weight eating dirty foods all the time. But you will honestly have a MUCH easier time if you moderate or restrict them.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    Depends on shower timing.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options

If we are talking about taste, then I agree with you. In terms of diminished nutritional value, while I will agree, I think it is a moot point as you can still achieve adequate nutrition despite nutrient loss through heat, friction, and time.
  • George_Baileys_Ghost
    George_Baileys_Ghost Posts: 1,524 Member
    Options
    If you saw my mustache after ribs and/or wings, you'd totally understand.
  • LifeAsMrsA
    LifeAsMrsA Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I think I'm a half dirty eater too... Sometimes I have my cravings for bad food and I cave because I don't want to binge eat all bad food later on!
  • LoupGarouTFTs
    LoupGarouTFTs Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    Some people omit fats, others sugars, some carbs, etc, etc. Some go whole hog and just keep omitting till they are eating gum and tic tacs.

Tic Tacs have refined sugar or artificial sweetener. So, just gum then?

Seriously, there is no such thing as a dirty food unless you forget to wash it. The second you label a food and demonize it you are begging for issues with your food. I am not a "dirty" eater or a "clean" eater. I am a food eater. Hence, the need to lose weight.
  • C3001
    C3001 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    See this phrase quite a lot in posts ..what does it mean?

I don't shower between my morning run and my first meal.

Does that count?

*Gasp*
    I'm a "double dirty" eater!
  • RHachicho
    Options
    Some people omit fats, others sugars, some carbs, etc, etc. Some go whole hog and just keep omitting till they are eating gum and tic tacs.

Seriously, there is no such thing as a dirty food unless you forget to wash it. The second you label a food and demonize it you are begging for issues with your food. I am not a "dirty" eater or a "clean" eater. I am a food eater. Hence, the need to lose weight.

I'm not advocating omitting anything. But if you think eating 3 slices of cake a day and making that a 1200 calorie diet is going to do your body any favors whatsoever then you are living in lala land.
  • LoupGarouTFTs
    Options

I'm not advocating omitting anything. But if you think eating 3 slices of cake a day and making that a 1200 calorie diet is going to do your body any favors whatsoever then you are living in lala land.

That's not "dirty" eating. That's poor judgment.
  • JulsiePie
    JulsiePie Posts: 166 Member
    Options

Well, now that's just a lack of common sense......stupid eating perhaps.
  • RHachicho
    Options
    Aye but I think this is what people refer to when they say "dirty eating" the consumption of calories with no real value that cause you to simply crave more. And believe me people so do diet like this and then wonder why they can't stick to their calorie limits. Now don't get me wrong i'm not "EAT CLEAN YO!" Nazi. I enjoy a slice of cake and other delectable treats every now and then. In moderation ;) In the end foods like this are good for your god damn soul. As far as I'm concerned delicious is a macro-nutrient. BUT fact is you will have an easier time with weight loss and preserving or even growing muscles during dieting if you eat cleaner. I'm not advocating a sterilized diet. Just not a sewage one XD.
  • LoupGarouTFTs
    Options
    It is definitely easier to lose weight not eating cake. However, that does not make cake a "dirty" food. It's just food.