Body Beast Women's Group!

Options

Replies

• jensurr
    jensurr Posts: 23
    Options
    Welcome to all the new people, it's great to see some activity on here! I finished the second week of the Bulk phase. Today I'm going to do the total body workout for the fun of it.

I'm curious if any of you wear heart rate monitors and what your calorie burns are. My numbers are always so low with this program, I don't know how some people are getting such high burns. I'm adding 30 minutes of cardio every day to get up to about 300 calories burned. I do realize that after HIIT or weight training, your body continues to burn calories. I really hope this is happening, lol.

Have a great weekend girls!
  • ddavies919
    ddavies919 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    Hello ladies! Hope you're all enjoying your weekend so far!

Ok, let's all introduce ourselves with our names. If we're gonna be beastettes together, let's get to know one another on a first name basis. Besides, it's easier to type than the long usernames. LOL So, I'll start, I'm Debra! You can call me Deb or Debra, not a fan of Debbie! LOL

2bmeagain: Welcome! Yes, you will sweat like you're doing Insanity when you do Build Legs!!! It's an awesome workout! The Body Beast program is what got me to LOVE leg day!!! Before, hated it! Now, it's one of my favorite workouts!

jensurr: I wear a heart rate monitor sometimes and yes, my count is low too. However, you're right in saying that with weight training, especially heavy lifting, you're burning calories loooong after you're done! This is what I try to express to my female clientele who are hesitant about lifting and I try to get them to get off the treadmill and pick up some weights! LOL Keep at it and I'm sure the HIIT workouts and extra cardio will do the trick!
  • 2bmeagain12
    2bmeagain12 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Hi Deb and ladies! My name is Melanie, or Mel. Thanks for the welcome.

Boy am I feeling the good pain from build-legs yesterday. Ouchie!

Jen - I wear Polar FT4 HRM when I work out. When I was doing Stronglifts the weightlifting portion burns would be anywhere from 150-300 depending on the day. I typically did 20 minute HIIT and/or yoga on top of that and would end up with 400-700kcal+ total burned. When I did day one of BB (chest/tris) the other day my burn was 220, but doing legs yesterday the burn was 503. I start the HRM right before I start the first lift, but I don't stop it until my heart rate comes down to the 90's range, as my resting heart rate is 46. My regular range, just doing things around the house is 70-85.

Off to do Back/Bis today. I do have a question looking ahead though, what is the difference between build and tempo on day 7, week 1 for chest/tris? I see it on weeks 2 and 3 also.
  • jensurr
    Options
    Thanks Melanie and Deb for the answers :) It's crazy the differences in calories burns for different people. I want to burn more! lol:bigsmile:

Melanie, I haven't done the tempo workouts yet. But as far as I'm aware, for the tempo workouts you vary the amount of time you lift and release the weight (and at the moment, I'm totally losing my mind as to the right terminology for that). I'm choosing to not do those workouts since it drives me bananas to do anything that slow. For example, yoga is not my thing :)

As of this morning I am feeling very frustrated with my progress. I know my body very well and have decided it's the new BC pill. I'll be calling the doctor first thing Monday to switch back to my old ones :frown:
  • 2bmeagain12
    Options
    Jen - Thanks for the insight into build vs. tempo. Good luck getting your pill switched today!
  • ddavies919
    Options
    Good morning ladies! Well, I am happy to announce that I am down 9lbs with the 21 Day Fix!!! Woo hoo!!!!! I am going to keep up with the eating plan, which is really just what I was eating before anyway, with a few new changes but I am liking how I am feeling! Of course, when I start lifting again, I will simply just increase the caloric intake. But, I am pleased!

Melanie: The Tempo workouts are slower, more concentrated but using lighter weights. To me, it's more intense than Build but I would try it once, see how you like it.

Jen: Yes, good luck getting the pill switched! Stay focused girl! You're doing great!
  • jensurr
    Options
    Wow Debra, 9 pounds is a lot in 21 days! Way to go, proud of your effort and will power! Good luck with managing the calories for Body Beast. Let us know how much you are increasing and the results.

Hope everyone had a fabulous Easter weekend. I had a few too many desserts, oops!

Thanks girls, my doctor switched my pill yesterday, so hopefully I'm back on track :)
  • 2bmeagain12
    Options
    Deb - Nine pounds in 21 days?! Terrific! And impressive!!

Cardio was quite the challenge yesterday. It's no HIIT elliptical! I had to ice my knee last night (I've got two small tears in the meniscus). I like how this program is pushing me in all sorts of new directions. It hurts so good. My bis are so sore this morning. I've got shoulders today - my weakness. Wish me luck!
  • healthyfitwell
    Options
    Hi ladies!

So, I started Bulk phase yesterday and today I met Bulk Legs. AAAARGH! Now I know what all the fuss is about when it comes to Legs day. OMG. When I was done I was sweating and shaking and my heart felt like it was going to pound out of my chest! When it came down to the last ten minutes I honestly wanted to stop, but I pushed through. I'm so glad I did because it feels awesome to have it done, but those progressive sets are BRUTAL. The one bit of entertainment I had was Eric. :) I think he's a riot in Beast Cardio because he overdoes everything, so when Sagi asked him to "calm down" during Legs today, I couldn't help but chuckle!!

Mel, I LOVE the Tempo workouts. It's similar to Chalene's slow lifting style in CLX, so you do counts of 6 seconds up/6 secs down, or 6 up/3 down, etc. Whenever I do the Tempo Chest/Tris, my arms shake like mad. It's kind of funny because I've got Chalene's voice engrained in my head, telling me to lift slowly so when Sagi goes so quickly, I'm having to stop thinking about it and just do it.

Deb, congrats on the 9lb loss. That's awesome!!

Today is my son's 13th birthday so we're headed out to eat and then home for cake. I'll track but I know my calories will be way over. Not going to sweat it!

Have a great night everybody!!!
    Cristy :)
  • healthyfitwell
    Options
    btw, does anyone use FitBit or know anything about it?
  • 2bmeagain12
    Options
    Thanks for all the info about tempo ladies! I appreciate it. I'll try it out on Thursday's workout.

I had to make the tough decision to switch tomorrow's rest day for today. My bis and forearms are still on fire from two days ago. So I'll do shoulders tomorrow.

Cristy - I have a FitBit Flex and a Polar FT4. I wear the FitBit 24 hours a day to make sure that I keep my steps up around 10K (I've only missed one day this month). It's helped to keep me motivated. I also use the TDEE daily info and weekly reports to determine caloric needs. I wear the Polar FT4 HRM only when I workout. Not sure if that helps, but I'm happy to answer any questions.

Melanie
  • eating4me
    eating4me Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I LOVE Body Beast; I'm on my second round, and will continue doing this program for a long time. I'd love to friend anyone who is currently doing Beast! Only true Beastettes can understand what we go through on a daily basis! :flowerforyou:
  • eating4me
    eating4me Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Oh...sorry...I just read the post about introducing ourselves. My name is Connie. I use a Garmin HRM during my workouts. My first round of Beast was Lean, but this time around I'm doing Huge. I'm currently following the 25 protein/50 carb/25 protein macros suggested. I'm seeing some changes in my body; no real weight gain, but increase in muscles & decrease in fat (according to my scale, which I just use to monitor trends). I'm loving the body recomposition happening from this program. Today I'll be doing a Tempo Back & Bi workout for a change of pace. :)
  • healthyfitwell
    Options
    Melanie, thank you for the FitBit info! What is TDEE? Does the FitBit tell you how many calories you've burned daily? Does it also tell you how many you burned during a specific time, like a workout? I'd like to integrate something techy into my day but want to make sure it's worth it. I used to have a Bodybugg and it NEVER worked and was so frustrating. I have a HRM somewhere that I used to love but honestly, I just want to try something different and something that tracks the entire day. I can't wear a heart rate strap all day, it'd drive me nuts! Suggestions are welcomed!

Hi Connie! Nice to meet you!

Today I have Bulk Arms for the first time. I'll be doing it when the baby sleeps. If I don't get up first thing in the morning to get it done, that's pretty much my only other opportunity to make it happen!!

Cristy
  • kel7298
    kel7298 Posts: 1,542 Member
    Options
    Good Morning all! You can probably guess by my user name what my name is...Kelly or Kel :wink: Finishing up my last week of Bulk, then on vacation for 9 days. I am going to be active but not obsess as it is vacation anyway. My last Bulk workout is Friday, but I think I will continue to lift Sat, Sun & Mon and not take my scheduled rest day. Any suggestions on which routines to try?

Also, is it just me or do any of you feel more sore (DOMS) not the next day, but the day after? My chest is screaming at me this morning after doing it on Monday.

Connie - Nice to see you here. I'm thinking you and I are possibly the oldest in the group. (I'm 53)

Cristy - I don't know too much about FitBit either but sounding more interesting each time I hear about it

Mel - I tried the routine once and think I used to heavy of weights. Gonna have to give it another go. I love your relation to Chalene. I have done that numerous times...slow down my head screams...:sad:

Deb - Congratulations! That is awesome. I didn't lose as much (only 5lbs) but that was probably due to the fact I had at least 1 each day a week :blushing: I am going to give it another go when I get back from vaca.

Jen - I used to wear mine but being the numbers girl I am, was crushed to see those low numbers. I am trying really hard to curb my obsession with cardio. My knees, feet and ankles just don't appreciate it like the rest of me :ohwell: I have been doing Jillian Michaels 20 min Kickboxing Fastfix on days I have more time.

~Kelly~
  • healthyfitwell
    Options
    Kel, congrats on almost being done with Bulk! That's fantastic! :) I agree, enjoy your vacation and don't obsess about being active, etc. That is what vacation is for anyway! We all need a flat out break now and then. Whenever I have a day that I want to do something not scheduled, I tend to throw in Burn Intervals. I just like using weights and getting the cardio too.

I am so surprised not to have DOMS today after Bulk Legs yesterday! BUT I do feel it in my chest from Monday, so I'm kind of happy to at least feel something somewhere. What supplements do you all take? I've been told glutamine is really good to help with DOMS. Right now I'm just doing one scoop of the P90X R&R. I love the idea of supplements and can be a supplement junkie (I admit it!) but am never sure if it's worth it or not.

BULK ARMS: DONE. WHEW. Starting with a progressive set was cruel and tricky! Maybe it's because I wasn't warmed up enough or because of my crappy dinner last night, but that first set was tough on me. I thought I could go heavier than I ended up having to do. Anyone else use Selecttechs? They're turning out to be a real pain in the *kitten* during progressive sets, I can't keep up!! :)

Cristy
  • kel7298
    kel7298 Posts: 1,542 Member
    Options
    I am so surprised not to have DOMS today after Bulk Legs yesterday! BUT I do feel it in my chest from Monday, so I'm kind of happy to at least feel something somewhere.
    Yes, I tend to feel it more the 2nd day as opposed to the day after.
    What supplements do you all take?
    I am currently using Cellucor C4 Extreme preworkout and Scivaction during.
    Anyone else use Selecttechs? They're turning out to be a real pain in the *kitten* during progressive sets, I can't keep up!! :)
    Same here, plus on certain movements I find them slightly bulky.

~Kelly~
  • ddavies919
    Options
    Wow! Love all the activity here ladies! :drinker:

So, where do I start? LOL Well, I had to get in a quick workout in between clients at the gym today, I usually don't (like to workout at home) but it was only an hour and a half in between so I figured something is better than nothing. Got in some Bulk Arms followed by a 15 minute HIIT on the treadmill. Hoping to get in some more later!

On the HRM subject: I used to have a BodyMedia, wore it for like a good year and I liked it because it tracked all day long, even when I was sleeping. It was interesting to see just how much (or little) sleep I was getting. The only thing I didn't like was that it left a little bit of an indent in my arm, not because it was too tight but because I only took it off to shower! I have recently switched to a Polar FT7 and I love it! It does have the chest strap but I only wear it to calculate my heart rate and caloric burn during exercise but it does a great job. I had a FitBit but returned it only because I was looking for something more accurate in calculating a burn. But, I think it's a great tool to keep you motivated and moving and to help get those steps in!

Kel: I hear ya on the DOMS!!! It's always the second day that gets ya!

Connie: Welcome to the group! Love to hear that you're seeing results!!! What other programs have you done?

I keep saying to myself, I wish MFP would allow you to post pics to the forums kind of like Facebook! They need to get with the times! lol

Have a great day Beastettes! Keep pushing!
  • 2bmeagain12
    Options
    This is so much fun to have an active group of Beastie Girls!

Cristy -- TDEE = Total Daily Energy Expenditure is the amount calories your body burns in a 24 hour period, sleeping, working, exercising, playing and digesting food. It's your total burn. This is a great explanation: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/931670-bmr-and-tdee-explained-for-those-needing-a-guide. Once you have that number figured out (there are plenty of online calculators) then you can take -30%, -20%, -10% as your caloric deficit. I keep a running average of my TDEE and adjust my % off based on that information on a weekly basis. If I'm having a low activity I can monitor where I am based on the FB app and either step up the activity, or eat less to stay on the track I've chosen.

FitBit (FB) is worn 24 hours a day. I have a One that clips onto the waistband or bra strap. I switched over to the Flex last summer as it's waterproof, we have a pool and go to the beach often. I didn't want to miss getting credit for walking around the pool and jumping in the waves. However, it really is only good for walking at a regular pace, and the steps you take each day being your awesome self.

I bought an HRM so that I could get a good sense of when I am in the zone and a more accurate burn during an intense workout. For example, the FB can tell that you're taking steps on an elliptical, but it has no idea about the resistance or incline you have it set at therefore burning more calories than if you were taking regular old steps. On the days that I walk/run at the beach I wear my HRM simply because the FB would only give me credit for the steps, but it's not aware of how hard my heart is working based on how windy it is, or how hot it is. I recently upgraded to the Polar FT4 and love it!

Hope that helps!
    Melanie
  • 2bmeagain12
    Options
    Kelly - I'm totally with you on DOMS being worse 2 days later! Congrats on getting ready to wrap up bulk! That should make you happy as you leave for vaca!

Cristy - I take D-Ribose as it's supposed to help with muscle retention while losing fat. I also add Bee Pollen and gelatin to my PWO shake to aid with recovery. Although my protein shake has L-Leucine somedays I add more to my water. I think I have some glutamine somewhere and should add that back in. I have a long list of vitamins I take daily from dandelion to vitamin D to magnesium and potassium for a variety of reasons, you can see the full list in my diary. I just ordered the Xtend watermelon to drink during workouts. I'm a bit nervous as I haven't had caffeine in over a month, so I'm not sure if I'll be bouncing off the walls with Xtend added, but if I can get an extra boost during workouts then I'm going to give it a shot.

I also use the Bowflex Selecttechs and find them tricky to switch up between sets. I definitely need to think ahead and it's not easy when I'm just trying to stay on time. Congrats on finishing bulk arms!