Gluten. Dairy. Sugar.

Options

Replies

• jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Jonnythan.... If what I posted from google was misinformation or a lie, how does one know what to believe then? Why does information have to be so darn misleading?

What do you do for a living that you are very knowledgeable in this?

Science. It's a pretty great thing.

But you can start by ignoring these blogs and whatnot. If you don't want to or lack the knowledge or experience to examine and understand the science yourself, your best bet is to find people who are unbiased, not trying to sell you books or website memberships, not trying to scare you away from demon nutrients, have a track record of personal success, and can back up all of their arguments and claims with peer-reviewed science.

Anyway, what I do for a living is not related to nutrition or chemistry.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    Jonnythan.... If what I posted from google was misinformation or a lie, how does one know what to believe then? Why does information have to be so darn misleading?

What do you do for a living that you are very knowledgeable in this?

This is the danger of Dr. Google. You can find a hundred different websites, giving you a hundred different kinds of information. You're better off verifying sources as scientfically-based. Johnnythan knows this information because he's done his (scientifically-based) research.
  • fitbetty1125
    Options
    I suspect that I have a dairy/wheat intolerance, and googled it to see if there were meal ideas out there for this kind of diet, and this forum popped up. I read the op's success story, and then several of the ignorant, rude responses. Don't all of you want to lose weight (it looks like some of you have already done so- good for you!)? Why on earth wouldn't you be supportive of someone who found something that worked for her?
    I find it odd that people who have gotten themselves to the point of being overweight and then lost weight would be so scathing towards a person on a similar path.
    There is so much information out there that supports what the op has experienced. You don't have to read medical journals to find it, either. Just pick up a mainstream magazine or find a high quality information source. Ever heard of gut bacteria and how changes in your intestinal flora can lead to obesity or weight loss? Dairy and gluten sensitivities are both results of bacterial activity- and guess what? Everyone's intestinal flora profile is DIFFERENT! It is not as simple as calorie deficit + exercise= weight loss for all bodies. Get your heads out of the 1980's and inform yourselves before you tear into some person who is sharing what helped her. I have never been overweight myself (I guess I am a "special snowflake" to quote a pp :eyeroll), but I can appreciate that the op, and several other posters who have been treated with similar disdain, found something the works for her body and is sharing that.
    I would NEVER recommend this board to ANYONE. I suggest that you lovely folks find something better to do with your time and energy than spreading 1980's era weight loss "facts" and advice online. There's a lot of new research out there. Educate yourselves, and maybe even evolve a little.
    Asshats.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    It is not as simple as calorie deficit + exercise= weight loss for all bodies.

It actually is, despite what you read in grocery store checkout aisle magazines.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I suspect that I have a dairy/wheat intolerance, and googled it to see if there were meal ideas out there for this kind of diet, and this forum popped up. I read the op's success story, and then several of the ignorant, rude responses. Don't all of you want to lose weight (it looks like some of you have already done so- good for you!)? Why on earth wouldn't you be supportive of someone who found something that worked for her?
    I find it odd that people who have gotten themselves to the point of being overweight and then lost weight would be so scathing towards a person on a similar path.
    There is so much information out there that supports what the op has experienced. You don't have to read medical journals to find it, either. Just pick up a mainstream magazine or find a high quality information source. Ever heard of gut bacteria and how changes in your intestinal flora can lead to obesity or weight loss? Dairy and gluten sensitivities are both results of bacterial activity- and guess what? Everyone's intestinal flora profile is DIFFERENT! It is not as simple as calorie deficit + exercise= weight loss for all bodies. Get your heads out of the 1980's and inform yourselves before you tear into some person who is sharing what helped her. I have never been overweight myself (I guess I am a "special snowflake" to quote a pp :eyeroll), but I can appreciate that the op, and several other posters who have been treated with similar disdain, found something the works for her body and is sharing that.
    I would NEVER recommend this board to ANYONE. I suggest that you lovely folks find something better to do with your time and energy than spreading 1980's era weight loss "facts" and advice online. There's a lot of new research out there. Educate yourselves, and maybe even evolve a little.
    Asshats.

Strong first post.

Lots of bogus, but still strongly stated.
  • snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Asshats.

Strong first post.

I wanna know how I can evolve a little. Is this like pokemon? How do I level up? Tell me your secrets...
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    Asshats.

Wrestling-she-mad.gif
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    Ooooh. This thread again. Good, I was getting bored

ne9pmo.gif
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Asshats.

Strong first post.

I wanna know how I can evolve a little. Is this like pokemon? How do I level up? Tell me your secrets...

Maybe more like Digimon, where you can evolve and then devolve only to evolve again? Hence 'evolve a little'?
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    Gluten, dairy, sugar....

ARE WE HAVING PANCAKES?!
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    Asshats.

Strong first post.

Maybe more like Digimon, where you can evolve and then devolve only to evolve again? Hence 'evolve a little'?

Damnit, I hate being a badass for 15 minutes and being demoted to in training or rookie :(
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Asshats.

It's called the intestinal microbiome. Experiments have shown that changing your diet can cause rapid changes in the intestinal microbiome. Not surprisingly, there's a 3-way correlation between diet composition, microbiome composition, and weight gain/loss. There's no evidence to the best of my knowledge that shows that differences in the microbiome cause or even influence weight gain or loss.

If you don't have a peer-reviewed reference that shows otherwise, I'll be generous and assume that you've mistaken correlation for causation.

FYI - there are plenty of people on this board whose job it is to keep up with the most current scientific research in various fields, and others who do it as a hobby. Better come with peer-reviewed references if you want to challenge 'old' research.
  • kittenful
    kittenful Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    There is so much information out there that supports what the op has experienced. You don't have to read medical journals to find it, either. Just pick up a mainstream magazine or find a high quality information source.

Is your credible information source Google? It's certainly not a medical journal. I wouldn't trust mainstream magazines with my lifestyle choices. "Fad diet of the moment, wooooo!!! EVIL FOODS TO AVOID. Tone these areas because fats can be spot trained away!!!!" Seems legit, right?

The point I am trying to make here is that you don't have to eliminate all of these foods from your diet, unless there are medical reasons for it. Yeah, it may work, but is it something you're willing to give up to sustain the losses?
  • Elsie_Brownraisin
    Elsie_Brownraisin Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    My friend gained a load of weight once she gave up gluten. True, coeliacs had done a job on her intestines and made her very malnourished and thin.

I don't understand why people cut things out of their diet if it's not medically necessary. However, my friend also said such people and their picky shopping habits have meant that there is a lot more choice of foods and treats out there now for her, instead of bread from the chemist.
  • skinnyeascolady
    skinnyeascolady Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I am celiac and I cut out gluten only because I had too. Nuts are a thing of the past too. My body can't digest them. For dairy I only have kefir. No added sugar at all. I have not lost any weight yet from doing so. However my health is better and I can digest and get nutients from my food that I am eating again.

Perhaps the person in question had food intolorences that were undignosed. So in doing so her body began to function like it was supposed to once she got rid of what her/his body couldn't tolorate.

Not rocket science just common sense.
  • weather_nerd
    Options
    IMHO, there is no such thing as an "EVIL" food.

Agreed, some individuals cannot eat certain things due to intolerances, conditions, etc.

Some individuals choose to give up certain foods because they find they function better without them. There's a BIG difference in saying you tried eliminating a certain food and it made you feel great, and saying you eliminated a certain food because everyone says it's evil.
  • BrainyBurro
    Options

wrong.

exhibit A. brussels sprouts
    exhibit B. asparagus
    exhibit C. black licorice
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

wrong.

exhibit B. asparagus

This is why you and I can't be friends.

Brussel sprouts are delicious halved and sauteed in bacon grease or butter. Asparagus is delicious grilled w/ olive oil and salt. And black licorice is just delicious.

Now peanut butter...*that* is an evil food.
  • DianeinCA
    DianeinCA Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Brussel sprouts are delicious halved and sauteed in bacon grease or butter. Asparagus is delicious grilled w/ olive oil and salt. And black licorice is just delicious.

I feel so ripped off that I listened to the anti Brussel sprout propagandists for so many years. Honestly,they are SO GOOD and I have been making up for lost time.

(Of course, to be fair, the Brussel sprout growers have been breeding strains to make them less bitter and therefore more palatable to the market.)
  • BrainyBurro
    Options

wrong.

exhibit B. asparagus

This is why you and I can't be friends.

Now peanut butter...*that* is an evil food.

dirty hippie! :angry:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!