Gluten. Dairy. Sugar.

Options

Replies

• QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    I suspect that I have a dairy/wheat intolerance, and googled it to see if there were meal ideas out there for this kind of diet, and this forum popped up. I read the op's success story, and then several of the ignorant, rude responses. Don't all of you want to lose weight (it looks like some of you have already done so- good for you!)? Why on earth wouldn't you be supportive of someone who found something that worked for her?
    I find it odd that people who have gotten themselves to the point of being overweight and then lost weight would be so scathing towards a person on a similar path.
    There is so much information out there that supports what the op has experienced. You don't have to read medical journals to find it, either. Just pick up a mainstream magazine or find a high quality information source. Ever heard of gut bacteria and how changes in your intestinal flora can lead to obesity or weight loss? Dairy and gluten sensitivities are both results of bacterial activity- and guess what? Everyone's intestinal flora profile is DIFFERENT! It is not as simple as calorie deficit + exercise= weight loss for all bodies. Get your heads out of the 1980's and inform yourselves before you tear into some person who is sharing what helped her. I have never been overweight myself (I guess I am a "special snowflake" to quote a pp :eyeroll), but I can appreciate that the op, and several other posters who have been treated with similar disdain, found something the works for her body and is sharing that.
    I would NEVER recommend this board to ANYONE. I suggest that you lovely folks find something better to do with your time and energy than spreading 1980's era weight loss "facts" and advice online. There's a lot of new research out there. Educate yourselves, and maybe even evolve a little.
    Asshats.

It's called the intestinal microbiome. Experiments have shown that changing your diet can cause rapid changes in the intestinal microbiome. Not surprisingly, there's a 3-way correlation between diet composition, microbiome composition, and weight gain/loss. There's no evidence to the best of my knowledge that shows that differences in the microbiome cause or even influence weight gain or loss.

If you don't have a peer-reviewed reference that shows otherwise, I'll be generous and assume that you've mistaken correlation for causation.

FYI - there are plenty of people on this board whose job it is to keep up with the most current scientific research in various fields, and others who do it as a hobby. Better come with peer-reviewed references if you want to challenge 'old' research.

Here is an interesting study they did in rats. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24430437
  • skinnyeascolady
    skinnyeascolady Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Ha Ha you guys and gals are simply awesome :) Made my day
  • BushidoCowboy
    Options
    Giving up gluten alone, which unfortunately means wheat changed my life. The good part is once you know what works and does not work you can fine tune it. So now if I'm on vacation I know how much and with what I can cheat and what wont fly. Knowledge truly is power.

Best of Luck

~BC
  • sweetpea03b
    sweetpea03b Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    Ditto.... I have PCOS... and my weightloss was almost non-existent until I gave up Dairy, started watching my sugar, and almost completely cut out "white carbs". Even now... It's still slow... but it's happening.
  • sweetpea03b
    sweetpea03b Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    Really not here to debate and defend my position.

Ahh right. You want to be able to say things and not have them called out, criticized, or questioned in any way.

I think you meant this to be a blog post, not a forum post. Forums are for discussion.

So.. what "chemicals" are in processed sugar that aren't in bananas?

Putting the sugar aside... with fruits and vegetables... you're not only getting sugar... you're getting vital nutrients and vitamins... things you don't get from say, Oreos or Ice Cream. So, if you had to choose between a donut or an apple... the apple is the better choice because you're getting something from it whereas the donut is all empty calories and sugar.
  • shoneybabes
    shoneybabes Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Yup I have fallen off the wagon after a few holidays away. Starting again on Sunday. Made a difference to my energy levels.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

Ahh right. You want to be able to say things and not have them called out, criticized, or questioned in any way.

I think you meant this to be a blog post, not a forum post. Forums are for discussion.

Putting the sugar aside... with fruits and vegetables... you're not only getting sugar... you're getting vital nutrients and vitamins... things you don't get from say, Oreos or Ice Cream. So, if you had to choose between a donut or an apple... the apple is the better choice because you're getting something from it whereas the donut is all empty calories and sugar.

For me, the donut is generally the better choice because if I want a donut and eat an apple, after I finish the apple I'll still want a donut.
  • weather_nerd
    Options
    IMHO, there is no such thing as an "EVIL" food.

wrong.

exhibit A. brussels sprouts
    exhibit B. asparagus
    exhibit C. black licorice

Okay evil for you maybe. If that's the case, coconut is evil for me because I hate it.

What I was trying to say is that people label food as evil because of some bogus claim about it.

Clearly that got lost in translation.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

wrong.

exhibit B. asparagus

Okay evil for you maybe. If that's the case, coconut is evil for me because I hate it.

What I was trying to say is that people label food as evil because of some bogus claim about it.

Psssst. That post was a joke.
  • sunnyskys2013
    sunnyskys2013 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    save for reading later
  • chani8
    chani8 Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    I can imagine that for some people, these things can be a problem, because for me, the sugar certainly is.

I'm not giving up gluten and dairy. I've done it before but found that it wasn't necessary.

I do encourage low carbing, though. Cutting carbs to 25% (less than 100 a day) has been very helpful for me.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

wrong.

exhibit B. asparagus

Psssst. That post was a joke.

I'm not convinced. I think if you put him on a polygraph, you would find that he truly believes those foods are evil.

I know I feel that way about peanut butter. (I'm nearly libertarian in my views on government, but even I would support legislation banning this vile evil substance that I am convinced will somehow be the impetus for the destruction of mankind.)
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

For me, the donut is generally the better choice because if I want a donut and eat an apple, after I finish the apple I'll still want a donut.

^^ Or just get the apple fritter? That's my vote.
  • plumeriagirl555
    Options
    Yes every body is different! we share similarities, but when it comes down to it we all have different reactions to foods. Gluten, Sugar, and Dairy are inflammatory foods. Thus weight loss can easily occur from taking away inflammation. I am fairly sure that by taking out sugar it implies refined sugars and leaves room for fruit and things like agave and honey. When you're commenting on others experience keep in mind that you might have to illuminate these things because they are actually INTOLERANT to them, not just to shed pounds!
  • plumeriagirl555
    Options
    Yes every body is different! we share similarities, but when it comes down to it we all have different reactions to foods. Gluten, Sugar, and Dairy are inflammatory foods. Thus weight loss can easily occur from taking away inflammation. I am fairly sure that by taking out sugar it implies refined sugars and leaves room for fruit and things like agave and honey. When you're commenting on others experience keep in mind that you might have to illuminate these things because they are actually INTOLERANT to them, not just to shed pounds!
  • Nikkisfitblog
    Nikkisfitblog Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    In the words of Alan Aragon - "Avoid food avoidances"
  • ChunkyMonkey207
    ChunkyMonkey207 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I have Celiac too! I've gained twenty pounds in a little over a year. Good luck to ya!!
    Amanda
  • Nikkisfitblog
    Options

wrong.

exhibit B. asparagus

A and B....we can never be friends!
  • Nikkisfitblog
    Options
    I was not able to drop much weight until I quit these three evils. Then it came off fast, and without even exercising.
    30 lbs in two months, bam, gone!

No because...Donuts! Im eating all 3...right now and losing fat.
    Well I think all 3...do donuts have dairy?...some would!
    Either way evil is delicious...
  • kristinmarie1986
    Options
    what do you think is more likely to lead to binging? One - restrict three whole food groups and label them as evil? Tw0 - create a modest calorie deficit where you lose one pound per week, and continue to eat the foods that you enjoy, and not label them as "evil"..?

Most people that attempt to restrict whole food groups have some initial success and then fall off the wagon when they give in and start eating/binging on said restricted foods again …

From personal experience this is the most true statement I have read. I have lost and gained COUNTLESS times, all because I labeled so many types of foods as "evil" and told myself that to lose weight I could never ever eat them again. That was GREAT.... for a couple of months. And then I would have some of that "evil" food... and the towel was thrown in. I figured if I couldn't cut them completely out of my diet, I shouldn't even try to lose weight. It wasn't until I found my current way of eating - which is anything in moderation - that I finally feel like once I've lost it, I'll be able to sustain it.

I had a brownie yesterday. It was delicious. Did I finish off the pan? No of course not, because I've finally learned that MODERATION is the key to success, and not DEPRIVING yourself of things you want, because that will definitely com back to bite. (ie, had I told myself that the brownie was "evil" and that I could never have one, the next time one of my roommates decided to bake up a batch I would have taken the pan to my room, shoveled the entire thing in my mouth, and then lied through my teeth about what happened to the brownies)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!