What is your WHY?

Options

Replies

• Guinness80
    Guinness80 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    One of my big reasons is my horses. Its easier for me to balance and ride properly when the pounds are gone, and I'm sure they appreciate the lighter load.
  • yellowlemoned
    yellowlemoned Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    * I want to go skydiving and not worry about weight limits.
    * I want to go to an amusement park and not worry about fitting in the rides.
    * I want to go out on dates with my boyfriend and not feel like people are judging my food choices because of my weight
    * I want to shop for clothes online or in person and not worry about them not having my size
    * I want to wear shorts or skirts and not get heat rash from my thighs rubbing together
    * I want to be able to shave my bikini line without having to work around my fat
    * I want to wear a bikini for the first time in my adult life (and I don't mean a tankini!)
    * I want to feel like my boyfriend can be proud to be seen with me (I realize he is and it's just a problem on my end)
    * I want to be able to run without getting winded within the first minute.

I also recently turned down going on a vacation because people I know from the internet will be there, and they are unaware of me being overweight. I don't want to ever do that again.
  • sheenarama
    sheenarama Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Why not?
  • johnskinn
    johnskinn Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I want to push myself to be in the best shape ever, I feel better than I look, I have so much energy since quieting a few bad habits years ago and now my energy level is up and I want my appearance to match the positive energy going on on the inside. I want more out of this 43 year old.
  • raelynnsmama52512
    raelynnsmama52512 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    My WHY is:
    - A beautiful 2-yr old named Raelynn.
    - To ward off as much as I can the "curse" of genetics, the heart disease, cancer, and diabetes that plagues my family, and to slow the effects of my degenerative arthritis!
    - Not being that 22 year old who can't even walk up a flight of stairs without being out of breath.in
    - To stop being the "fat" sister-in-law, and to stop feeling ashamed when I'm around my thinner sisters-in-law.
    - To be happy with myself, and to finally love ME, and love my body, this body that defied doctors and carried a child for 9 months, a body that brought this child into the world, and,
    - To be the best mother I can be, the mother that can play with her kid at the park, the mother that can play tag and all those other games without being tired or in pain.
    That's my WHY.
  • MikePXstream
    MikePXstream Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    Best post on MFP!!!
    My why is because life was passing me by... I refused to be in pictures and still do because of my weight and I couldn't stand to look in the mirror. I was this person I didn't know anymore...

Today - I love to run and I don't mind counting calories. Cutting out carbs was the best thing I could have done. I feel like a new person. I'm focused and have energy all day. Before I wouldn't eat until dinner and then binge, so I felt terrible all day and gained weight like crazy.

I'm going to do this, for me and my family. I will look good but more importantly, I will feel good. I'll be that strong, fit person I'm always jealous of.

I will be a good role model for my children and my family. We can do this!

Cutting out the carbs, unhealthy ones, is still the hardest for me. I love bread, so that doesn't help. Good for you getting out there and running and taking back control of who you are. You are definitely being a good role model for your kids. Keep it up!
  • ellechim1
    ellechim1 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    My why... Leading by example...
    My family as a history of diabetes, congestive heart failure, strokes, cancer... you name.
    At 35 I had a mild stroke, at 38 I had a mild heart attack (like there is anything mild about that) At the time I blew it off as my life was constant stress. My mom was very sick with heart failure, kidney failure, sepsis, and more. I focused all my energy on her and my kids. I lost my mom last summer, I don't regret a minute but now I do not want to go down that same path. I was a mess when I lost her. My world was obliterated. She was my rock, my bff, and more. It took me a few months to crawl out of that hole and ,boy, did I shock everyone.
    I came out fighting. These last 3 months I have broke serious and made a difference. Not just in my life but my husband's, my brother's, and my 2 daughter' lives.I got everyone eating better and moving more. I can't make them stick to it but they have to eat what I cook ;P My brother lives next door so I cook for him twice a week too.

Thank you everyone here for your stories and being so supportive. (((HUGS)))
  • bekim123
    bekim123 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I decided it was finally time to stop killing myself. High blood pressure, high cholesterol, and for the past few years diabetic. While I had the blood sugar under control early on, the numbers were slowly creeping back up. Rather than add more/different medicine for it, I decided it was time to take things seriously. Also, my size 40 pants were getting tight and I had already bought a couple pairs of size 42. Decided that wasn't right. Happy to report that this past weekend I purchased new shorts, size 38. Still a long ways to go, but blood sugar levels are lower than they have been since I was diagnosed with the diabetes and people are starting to notice the weight loss...that's what keeps me going.
  • MikePXstream
    Options
    My why is an 8 year old girl named Emma.

My own parents were absent and neglectful. I'm a fully engaged father who wants to be there for his daughter for as long as is possible.

Mike, this is a fantastic thread.

-Tex

Right on Tex. That is most definitely a good "Why"

Thanks for the compliment!
  • loriemn
    loriemn Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I want to look sexy again!
    I want to run barrels with my horse again,without being the fat chick out there
    I want to kick *kitten* in TKD!
    I want to run a 5K without walking (I can do that now!)
    I want to wear cute Cowgirl Tuff clothes,,look them up they are awesome,and I am fitting into them now!
    I want to be healthy and fit!
    I dont want diabeties,as it does run in my family,so I want to slim the chances of getting it
    I love riding my bike 20-30 miles in a day!
    I want to enjoy life! and I believe I can do that better being more fit.
  • Stronger1664
    Stronger1664 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    My WHYS: Increased self confidence~ Improved health~ Fit into cute clothes again~ Get back to what I "used to" look like~ Have my husband tell me I'm "cut" again like he did when we were dating~ Avoid diabetes that runs in my family~ Not have my thighs rub together and belly fat hang over my pants~ Have the ability to run around the yard with my family and/or dog and not get out of breath or feel embarrassed from all of the "jiggling" when I run~ Show my patients (I work in the medical field) that I care as much about my personal health as I do theirs-- after all, it is hard to shell out advice about healthy living when you do not do it yourself
  • mfp2014mfp
    mfp2014mfp Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    My why is because I was living life like I had more than one and treating my body terribly.
    I want to be here as long as I can but be strong & capable while I am here :flowerforyou:
  • _AwesomeSauce_
    Options
    Because sex...
  • YorriaRaine
    YorriaRaine Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Hmmm mine are:
    -Confidence, my weight is a big issue with my overall confidence some days
    -I want to feel sexy. My significant other says I am, but I don't feel it.
    -I'm terrified of getting diabetes or other weight related health problems my family typically gets.
    -Clothes, cuz this Tomboy suddenly decided she liked girly things, I'm not sure what happened.

However, those were my why's throughout all my life whenever I tried. I don't really know what triggered the sudden, "this is not ok, its time to REALLY do something about it". I literately just woke up one day and was like....(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻... I'm done. That was also the day I looked up food diaries and joined myfitnesspal.
  • MikePXstream
    Options
    Hmmm mine are:
    -Confidence, my weight is a big issue with my overall confidence some days
    -I want to feel sexy. My significant other says I am, but I don't feel it.
    -I'm terrified of getting diabetes or other weight related health problems my family typically gets.
    -Clothes, cuz this Tomboy suddenly decided she liked girly things, I'm not sure what happened.

However, those were my why's throughout all my life whenever I tried. I don't really know what triggered the sudden, "this is not ok, its time to REALLY do something about it". I literately just woke up one day and was like....(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻... I'm done. That was also the day I looked up food diaries and joined myfitnesspal.

Sometimes thats all it takes is to just wake up and realize you are done settling for less than what you dererve. Good for you. Keep up the fight and you will succeed!
  • Caoimhexx2014
    Caoimhexx2014 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    My WHY:

-I want to be able to take my baby boy to the swimming pool or beach and feel comfortable.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    "Now, imagine your child or loved one is in danger on that other side. I'm willing to bet that you are going to do everything you can to get to that side. "

This is my WHY. Last week it was, literally. Now, not so literal, but still there.

My now 10 month old niece was born with a defect that damaged her liver. By the time it was discovered, her liver was too damaged to be repaired and she was placed on a list to receive a liver transplant. The interesting thing about liver transplant, is that you can take part of the liver from a live donor and the donor will grow back most of what was taken. So we figured that with such a large family, she had better chances than most because there are so many of us that surely one of us would be able to donate. Right?

Wrong. The very day that the living donor process was approved, we learned that you can't donate if your BMI is higher than 30. That made nearly my whole family ineligible (almost all of us are obese). So every one of us took up the task to lose weight as quickly and healthfully as we can. It was a race to save my niece. At the same time, praying that another donor will come available (it would have taken me at least a year to reach 30, others would have taken longer).

This past weekend, a child died and his/her family donated his/her organs. My niece received the liver on Easter Sunday and by all reports she's doing fine. So the urgency to lose weight is gone, but the WHY is still there. There are other kids (and adults) that need liver transplants. I'm now losing weight so I can save somebody's life in thanks to the family that saved my niece.

I can't find words here. :heart:

tumblr_mlq2fkmlHz1ri2xlio1_250.gif
  • COliver416
    COliver416 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    My why, to live a fully expressed life, that exhibits my body working at it's maximum potential. When I started, I was 274 pounds. I'm currently 213 pounds and only just beginning on this weight loss journey. With a month and a half left in this new program I'm doing, I've got another 2 month program of Insanity and Tapout XT 2 to follow. I've got dietary habits nailed down pretty well, with a mix of macro nutrient and calorie cycling. My why is a lifetime goal, not a simple end game, but something to do forever. Once I had that goal, once it became about success in all areas and not just the fat, the weight began to fall off and my body began to get stronger.
  • sungoldruth
    sungoldruth Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Great post--thanks!

My WHY is to be around for my children and my husband, enjoy how I look and feel in my body, and hopefully avoid heart disease and diabetes (which my dad has). I am aware I will always need to count calories in some way, and that makes me feel good because I it is empowering to feel I can control my weight instead it controlling me.
  • hales1wlker
    hales1wlker Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I would say my why is that I got sick of being the fat friend, and hating taking full body photos. Growing up I was the athletic one, but now that I am in college, my activity level dropped dramatically. My weight increased, and my already difficult anxiety was stifling me. Now that i am on this journey my anxiety has been cut in half and I feel great about myself! I just woke up one day and decide to stop starting over.