Calling All Non-Moms Again!

Options
1192021222325»

Replies

• Rynatat
    Rynatat Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Check in for me: no "weight" loss according to the scale (it actually says a little more but it's TOM right now so what does the scale know :tongue: )
    Anyway.. I'm losing inches, which means I am toning better than ever & building more muscle (which is also where part of the "gain" is since we've noticed my biceps & triceps are more toned as are my obliques :happy: . So, I've lost a full other inch off each thigh!!! My new size 9 slacks for work & medium workout pants are starting to get a bit loose and I fit back into my old suit jackets better than I even remember when I first bought them 5 years ago :happy:
    So, I will still "weigh" to keep myself in check, but I think I'm leaning more to what my tape measure says now :happy: (that and one the guys are work told me it was illegal to lose weight over the holidays & that I was looking really nice :blushing: )

Good Luck to Everyone in the New Year - I know we're all going to achieve our goals :flowerforyou:
  • corderoinkuna
    Options
    ok, check in day was monday... how did I do durning the holidays? Lost .4 of a pound... not my normal 2... but looking on the positive I did not gain any... soooo onto the next week here we go... lets hit 2 pounds down!
  • WA_Teacher
    WA_Teacher Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    I hope everyone had a good Christmas and that, no matter how off track we went, we got back. I had a serious emotional binge AFTER Christmas dinner and, though the scale is hidden and I don't know what kind of damage it did, I am back on track. I even ate fruit cake and I don't even like that crap. Merry get-back-to-it, ladies! How did we do, and what presents did we get?

Sorry to hear that you had a hard Christmas and I hope things are better. :flowerforyou:

My scale is also hidden and I’m not sure I want to find it just yet. My best gift over the holiday was Cuisinart’s Chef's Classic Non-Stick Hard Anodized 10 Piece Set… good cookware for healthy meals. :happy:
  • AerikaJ
    AerikaJ Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Is it too late to join in? I'm a newbie and a non-mom. Started logging about five days ago. Seriously need some motivation to stay on track. Judging by the number of pages, you guys have really been at it. I'm going to go through and try to read all you guys posts for any helpful pointers. Hoping to trim off about fifteen pounds to start.
  • WA_Teacher
    WA_Teacher Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    Hi Non-Moms!! :happy:

I loved spending time with my friends but it's good to be back home. I'm feeling OK about my eating habits over the holiday but I had lots of empty calories from alcoholic beverages. We had mimosas Christmas morning….was wonderful until I checked out the calories for each one.:noway: I haven’t stepped on the scale yet and probably won’t until the 3rd...yup I'm SCARED!!:blushing:

Hope you all had a good Christmas.
  • ickybella
    ickybella Posts: 1,438 Member
    Options
    I hope everyone had a good Christmas and that, no matter how off track we went, we got back. I had a serious emotional binge AFTER Christmas dinner and, though the scale is hidden and I don't know what kind of damage it did, I am back on track. I even ate fruit cake and I don't even like that crap. Merry get-back-to-it, ladies! How did we do, and what presents did we get?

Sorry to hear that you had a hard Christmas and I hope things are better. :flowerforyou:

My scale is also hidden and I’m not sure I want to find it just yet. My best gift over the holiday was Cuisinart’s Chef's Classic Non-Stick Hard Anodized 10 Piece Set… good cookware for healthy meals. :happy:

Thank you, I'm spending today NOT working out and doing a lot of mental cleaning, so hopefully I can get rid of these residual feelings from Christmas. As my husband says, I can't help holding a grudge, but I need to get rid of this and start the new year out right.

I'll be weighing in and checking in tomorrow, wish me luck, ladies!
  • ickybella
    Options
    Is it too late to join in? I'm a newbie and a non-mom. Started logging about five days ago. Seriously need some motivation to stay on track. Judging by the number of pages, you guys have really been at it. I'm going to go through and try to read all you guys posts for any helpful pointers. Hoping to trim off about fifteen pounds to start.

Absolutely not! It's never too late to be a non-mom, unless, of course, you're already a mom. Anyway, welcome to this group and good luck!
  • jparson714
    jparson714 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Hello! I'm a non-mom and would love to join your group! I started MFP this summer but when school started back, I dropped it. I am a teacher and I'm afraid if I don't have a good support system in place I'll do the same when school starts back on Monday.
  • anewpath
    anewpath Posts: 200
    Options
    Good morning!! Well, I weighed in this morning and I've gained 2 pounds which isn't too bad I guess considering the Christmas parties. However, a gain is never good. My inhaler is working well so I'm feeling good about starting back to the gym on Sunday. I've been back at keeping up with my food this week so that's good. I didn't log anything while I was home sick. I'm meeting with a personal trainer from work on Monday to develop a workout plan for me, I'm looking forward to it. I've met with him before and gotten pointers but I have decided that I need a set routine. I need to wake up Sunday through Thursday and know what I'm doing at the gym each day. I'm excited!! I can't believe I just said excited about working out!! I have wasted time with getting ready for my wedding. Its only 14 weeks away and there is no way I can meet my original goal weight in a healthy manner and that is my fault. The goal now is to drop 2 pounds every week until my wedding, if I drop more weekly that is great but I will do it the right way with healthy eating habits and exercise. I am going to do my measurements tomorrow and log them and I will be changing my weigh in day to Friday because of my gym days. I've been doing good on my water, I'm drinking at least nine glasses a day of just water, then I have Crystal Light peach tea at home.

We are all strong women and with eachother's support and the support of our loved ones we can achieve any goal we set for ourselves!! Lets knock this out in the New Year ladies!!!

I hope everyone has a good day!
  • rmkorama
    rmkorama Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Hello, allooo! Welcome to the new people! Feel free to join in, post trials and victories, and just get comfy here.

WA_Teacher, I would love all new cookware! That's great! Actually, I would settle for a 2.5-quart saucepan with a lid. We lost ours in a move about, oh, 7 years ago, and still haven't replaced it. :) Also, it's great to enjoy yourself for the holidays with family and friends. I think we all overindulged just a little bit. But you're back here now, and that's what counts.

anewpath, same with you. Don't dwell on what went before, but begin again. We're here for ya.

ickybella, I hear what you're saying about mental cleaning. It's not easy to put things away and move on, but it's so helpful not to carry a grudge and let the past color the present and the future. We're here for ya.

As for me, I finished my 30-Day Shred challenge today, and am feeling tired but accomplished. I pushed myself just a little bit to do the workout this morning instead of this evening, because I wanted to be DONE! 30 days of exercise. Wow. It was cool to do it, great to achieve it, and probably not something I will be doing again for quite some time. If nothing else, there are things that get neglected if I HAVE to work out every single day. I plan to give my dog a walk tonight or tomorrow (weather permitting). He has been getting the short end of the stick for a couple weeks now. And great big smoochie thanks go to my hubby, who is very supportive even when I couldn't do things around the house because I had to work out instead.
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    I have been trying really hard to eat good things (and not a lot of them!)

I'd love to join your group of non-moms.

My low self esteem has always bothered me, and was a real disaster in high school. I had an eating disorder and was down to 115 lbs. Skin & bone, no energy. I'm past the disorder now, and got to a comfortable weight, but was never toned/fit.

For a year or two, I had too much debt compared to income, and wasn't eating enough. That was one way to stay thin! Now that I am back on my financial feet, the 'pleasure' meals have returned and I gained more weight than I ever have. It may not sound big to many of you, but nearing 170 lbs is very distressing for me.

My goal is to be smoking hot for this summer. I am really hoping I can stick to my exercises this round, and continue to eat healthy! Just knowing I will be visiting here and showing off what goodies (or fatty snacks) I have eaten helps me make better food choices. I love running, and biking, but it has been years since I did either well. I am out of shape and it's tough to ride the bike now! but I am so motivated :)

Hello everyone!
  • silverstars
    Options
    I just joined a few days ago! I like this non moms idea!
  • ickybella
    Options
    CHECK IN: Today is my weigh-in, so I'm just going to do this now. I'm down 2 pounds, finally reached my Christmas goal, and the best part about it is that I'll be starting the new year at a healthy weight!!!!!! I'm at 157 now, and smaller than I was all through high school. In fact, I'm 2 pounds heavier than my doctor told me I needed to be when I was about 15 and needed to lose 20 pounds. I still have the chubb, though, and I will work until it's gone. I just did day 3 of week 6 of c25k and jogged for 25 minutes straight. It's still hard for me, but getting easier. I think I'll be ready for that race on time. I'm no longer doing Jillian as I've moved on to P90X.

When do we need to start posting our goals for January?
  • chanstriste13
    chanstriste13 Posts: 3,277 Member
    Options
    I just did day 3 of week 6 of c25k and jogged for 25 minutes straight. It's still hard for me, but getting easier. I think I'll be ready for that race on time. I'm no longer doing Jillian as I've moved on to P90X.

hell yeah! good for you! maybe i'll take your lead and try to extend my 11 minutes. i'm jogging for a total of about 27 minutes - blocks of 11 minutes, 8 minutes and 8 minutes, each separated with a 3 minute break in between. but i can't imagine myself jogging that long with no breaks! i think i'll incorporate that into my january goals. way to go!

welcome to all newbie non-moms! this is a great group. we're looking forward to your success!

i'm still not all the way here - i don't think i'll be totally back until monday. i have gained about 2 pounds over the last two weeks. not great, but i saw it coming, so i'm not too upset. monday i'll be back onto routine, and that will be a big help!

happy new year's everyone!
  • ickybella
    Options
    Argh. Morning, ladies. We went to the pub last night and I was asked to explain, in great detail, exactly what I'm doing, how much I'm eating, what I'm eating, how much I'm exercising, how I KNOW how many calories I've burned, etc.. by my husband's best friend's girlfriend. She, apparently, thinks I am being unhealthy about this and that I shouldn't lose any more weight. She's also a UK size 8 (US 6) and weighs 10 pounds less than my goal, and we're almost the exact same height. I spent a very long time trying to explain to her that there is still a lot of flab on my body, but she wouldn't believe it. I also told her I eat all day long (it happens to be true, what can I say?) and her response was "No." So, apparently, I don't. Who knew? Jeesh! Eventually, I gave up and kind of went off on her, but she was drunk enough that I don't think she'll remember, and if she does, maybe it will teach her to NOT tell me, for an hour, that I am doing this wrong. Obviously, she has no idea what she's talking about. I make sure to get all my fruits and veggies every day, eat plenty of proteins, enough fats, and I have chocolate almost every night. Ok, that last part isn't too healthy, but hey, I'd go crazy without it. I'm not even sure what to say to her. I have only now reached a healthy weight, and all I want to do is be comfortable with myself. I don't hate my body anymore, but there are parts of me that really need toned up, and I want to LOVE my body, so that's what I'm working toward. And no skinny little you-know-what is going to stop me. I will quit when I am healthy and happy. Unfortunately, I have "diabetic belly." I'm not diabetic but it does run in the family and we get the too much belly look, and I want rid of it. I'm tired of sucking it in all the time, lol! Anyway, rant over. I just needed to say this (for the third time, as I've complained to my mother, complained on my main page, and now I'm complaining to you guys. I tried complaining to my husband, but he defended her, of course, because she's pretty and skinny.)

Anyhoo, I have decided to keep to myself for a while. My parents-in-law are leaving in a few days, back to Tenerife until April, and then I'll be spending some time alone and re-evaluating my relationship with my husband. I'm really not sure if this is what I want anymore. He actually told me that I need to learn to just ignore his mother, so she can say things to me but he doesn't want me to respond. It seems like he defends anyone who upsets me, and I'm kind of done with all that. You're supposed to support your wife, and yes, I know it must be a hard situation for him, when I don't get along with his mother, but why take sides? He actually got mad at me on Christmas when I got into an argument with her. Didn't get mad at her for insulting me, calling me names, or telling me to grow up, but he did get mad at me when I retaliated. This is really a pattern I don't like.
  • epa422
    epa422 Posts: 1,009
    Options
    Oh man, that sucks, ickybella. I'm sorry that your holidays have been like this. You definitely deserve a husband who will be on your side and not defend those who aren't on your side. My husband and I have had arguments about that. He was married previously and she died. His family is still very heavily mourning his first wife and have had a hard time adjusting to include me. He has also told me that I need to just ignore them. I know that's easier said that done. I told him that he needs to be on MY side. He's very "don't rock the boat." I don't know that we ever came to a resolution beyond me deciding that I just don't care what his sisters or moms think. That really did help our relationship because we weren't arguing about that anymore. Now he seems to have come around and takes my side more. I don't know if it was due to time or because I stopped "nagging" him about it and he opened his eyes to what was going on. I hope that you can find a resolution that works for YOU. You deserve much better than being unhappy with no support. Giant hugs!!!
  • corderoinkuna
    Options
    Hello ickybella!
    I just wanted to let you know I love, love reading your post and I am so proud of how much weight you lost! I get into downfalls when I head home to visit the family. Mom thinks that I must have dessert every night or something sweet daily! Talk about having to exercise self control! Have you ever read the book, “Our Lady of Weight Loss –All is forgiven Move On”-? Here is her website http://ourladyofweightloss.com/ It a wonderful book, super funny and talks about taking on the saboteur (your husband’s best friends girl friend) and the unconscious mind (dealing with weight loss and reevaluation your life) anyway it’s a funny fast wonderful read that address weight loss, mind, body and soul! Best of luck to you and keep up the wonderful work.
  • ickybella
    Options
    Well, ladies, I'm all right. I talked to my husband about what I was feeling, and explained to him what it's like to have him constantly defending anyone but me. Since I wasn't nagging and I was genuinely upset, he actually listened to me, and when I was done, he said "Oh my God, you're right." Those are words I've never heard him say and never expect to hear again, lol. We had a good talk about it and, though he's made no promises, he says he'll work on it. That's all I really need at this point. Thanks for the kind words, roo and kuna. Roo, my situation is sort of similar to yours, as his mother talks a lot about his ex, but she is still alive and has two kids (hers, not my husband's) his parents still see often. I'm never sure if the kids are going to be there when we go over and it's a very strange situation. Yours must be even weirder. Sorry you have to deal with that. corderoinkuna, thanks for the book suggestion and the congratulations. Will check the book out. Everyone else, sorry I unloaded like that. I think I just needed someone to talk to and it's difficult over here, as I can't seem to relate to anyone and haven't made any friends yet. Anyway, I think we'll survive, but only time can tell, as they say.

I think we should start listing goals for January, and hopefully we'll get another of those lovely lists! Who wants to start?
  • epa422
    epa422 Posts: 1,009
    Options
    I'm so glad your husband listened to you. That's a good first step. It is definitely interesting to date and marry a widower. And not something I ever anticipated doing at 30. :laugh: