Replies

• skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    Options
    bumping to mark my place :flowerforyou:
  • BDOUG2371
    BDOUG2371 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm new to this thread. I'm 43, a father of 2 teenagers. It says on Sunday to write about myself. I hope this so ok to post here. Desperate to start this weight olds thing for the millionth time.

I'm 43 and need some kind of plan. I've been out of work with a herniated disc, pinched nerve & spinal stenosis. I'm 378 lbs and have been binging. I had been down to 368 but when we grab something to eat I have the mindset of getting grilled chicken and then I end up thinking I'm missing out on the good fatty foods and it depresses me so I get the fatty food and then after I eat I feel depressed anyway. Does this sound familiar to anybody? Am I the only one? I can't lift weights or bend due to my back problem. Walking starts hurting my back after 5-10 min. I can do it in intervals though. Does that still burn fat? I'm from Connecticut. Anyone else here from Connecticut? I'm not a salad person and when I have tried it I don't like dressings. I'm hopeless. I was 220 lbs 20 years ago. I miss it! :( how do I get started????
  • Lives2Travel
    Lives2Travel Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Duplicate post. I usually lose them, not double up. Darn computer!
  • Lives2Travel
    Options
    Monday again and I have to apologize for being MIA most of last week. Between work and all the stuff I need to get done in the yard, there just hasn't been time!

@jnettie - Yay for your interview. So glad your being called was just delayed.

@susan - Welcome back. Sounds like you came back renewed and ready to go!

@aimee - Congrats on the WOOSH!

@robin - Prayers that your surgery goes perfectly and you heal quickly.

@tanya - Impressed that you can take a diet break and get right back on track. My last diet break lasted 7 years.

AFM - Busy, busy, busy. I'm hoping this week will be calmer, but probably not. I'm still sitting at 192, so at least all the stress hasn't made me gain. Hard to believe it's almost May. Winter is finally gone and the weather is great.... except for the storms we're expecting later today.

Hope everyone has a good day!!

April Renaissance/Fighting Complacency

At or under Calorie goal: 27/30

Exercise Goals:

Saturday - 3 hours yard work DONE
    Sunday - 3 miles walking DONE
    Monday- Cardio/Weights/Stretch
    Tuesday - Rest Day
    Wednesday - Cardio/Weights/Stretch
    Thursday - Pilates
    Friday - Cardio/Weights/Stretch
  • Lives2Travel
    Options
    Hi, I'm new to this thread. I'm 43, a father of 2 teenagers. It says on Sunday to write about myself. I hope this so ok to post here. Desperate to start this weight olds thing for the millionth time.

I'm 43 and need some kind of plan. I've been out of work with a herniated disc, pinched nerve & spinal stenosis. I'm 378 lbs and have been binging. I had been down to 368 but when we grab something to eat I have the mindset of getting grilled chicken and then I end up thinking I'm missing out on the good fatty foods and it depresses me so I get the fatty food and then after I eat I feel depressed anyway. Does this sound familiar to anybody? Am I the only one? I can't lift weights or bend due to my back problem. Walking starts hurting my back after 5-10 min. I can do it in intervals though. Does that still burn fat? I'm from Connecticut. Anyone else here from Connecticut? I'm not a salad person and when I have tried it I don't like dressings. I'm hopeless. I was 220 lbs 20 years ago. I miss it! :( how do I get started????

Nothing is hopeless. If exercise is painful, don't do it. Set MFP to lose 2 lbs. per week and stick to your calorie goal. If you want the fatty food, eat it. Just log it so you're accountable. You need nothing more than a calorie deficit to lose weight. What you cannot do (and nobody can) is out exercise a calorie surplus. Getting your eating in line is the most important step. You can always add exercise later when you're lighter and it causes less (or no) pain.

Just do it one day at a time.
  • kah68
    kah68 Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    Another weekend went by in a flash, I thought I had posted Saturday but I guess I didn’t. :frown: Saturday was busy with the gym, running around and church. Sunday I did a lot of cooking for the week plus had a session with my trainer in the afternoon (the after effects of which I am feeling now! :ohwell: ).

@Susan~Sounds like you had a great time on your cruise. LOL at Cyrus with the pizza and ice cream – man that food is just a free-for-all! Good for you for giving up the Diet Coke, I don’t drink soda – had a bad Diet Pepsi addition in the early 90s but gave it up about the same time I gave up smoking. Talk about double whammy!

@Robin~Thinking warm fuzzy thoughts as your surgery approaches tomorrow.

@Nettie~Hooray for the interview!

@Tracy~A walk on your lunch hour is a great way to use that time.

@Katrena~I’m sorry you’re struggling right now, sending positive thoughts your way.

@Heidi~What a great experience for your son and how nice that someone recognized his potential, you should be proud. :flowerforyou: Awesome pace on your marathon prep this weekend, I’m sorry about your ankle though I hope it gets better quick. Happy Birthday!

@BDoug~As L2T said, nothing is hopeless. Definitely don’t do any kind of exercise that will exacerbate your back condition, but if you find that walking in 10-minute increments is doable it absolutely burns fat – any type of movement we can do is great, as long as we aren’t in pain while doing it. One of things I have found out is that you need to find a way to make the program work for you so that you can still have the foods you enjoy. Everyone loves a good burger, just make room for it in your macros. If there are other foods you love, have them, just have them in a smaller portion or find a lower-fat version that you like. If you find a way to adapt your diet to include the foods you enjoy, you are more apt to stick with it long-term. The best advice I can give is for you to set one goal for yourself this week – maybe you don’t drink enough water or maybe you don’t eat enough protein. Choose one thing and stick to it for 3-4 weeks which is how long it takes to establish a habit, once its habit reward yourself (with a non-food item) and then change something else – trying to take on too much at once can be daunting. Hang in there, you can do this!

AFM~Weekends seem to be crazy for me anymore, I try to fit in so much and its over before I know it. Had a good session with my trainer yesterday, lots of kettle bell work – new PB on deads and some very sore hamstrings thanks to the sumo squats with the kettle bell, that should be great for a run with my trainer later. :grumble: I can now do a perfect squat, not the squat my orthopedist wants me to do – but I like being able to do them (provided I don’t end up in his office for some cortisone followed by a stern lecture).

Exercise Goals:

Sunday~Trainer DONE!
    Monday~Run/Agility drills w Trainer
    Tuesday~Cardio
    Wednesday~Cardio or Trainer
    Thursday~Cardio or Trainer
    Friday~Rest Day
    Saturday~Cardio hopefully, have hair appointment

Have a great day/week!
  • NewCaddy
    NewCaddy Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    I don’t think I’ve ever seen this thread move so slowly. Must be that everyone is out and about enjoying spring (and after our winter, we deserve it). Although apparently winter is hanging on. We’re warm enough to only be getting rain (so far, knock on wood), but the northwestern edge of ND got something like 7 inches of snow overnight (and it sounds like parts of Canada got it too).

@Katrena…hope things begin getting better fro you.

@Shadow…HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! That’s awesome with your son – what a great moment! You did make me cringe a bit with all the reptile talk. I can’t stand reptiles or rodents. We do have a turtle but he’s in his aquarium and while I enjoy watching him, I don’t need to touch him at all. If you ever vacation to western SD, make sure to stop at Reptile Gardens.

@Bdoug…One day at a time. It sounds like it might work to give yourself permission to eat some of those fatty foods on a certain day (not necessarily a cheat day…you can still work it into your calorie goals). That way you can eat the grilled chicken and tell yourself that on “Friday, I am going to come back and get that cheeseburger with fries.” Maybe Friday comes and you think..don’t need it anymore. I am a single Mom (well married, but my husband works nights and weekends) with two kids that are pretty active and there are times that I eat fast food still. I’m focused on the total calories at this point, not necessarily eating clean. I hope to move on to eating cleaner as I go, but for now, I’m happy when I meet my calorie goal regardless of how I do it. And yes, even walking 5-10 minutes at a time is better than nothing at all but as L2T indicated….exercise isn’t needed to lose weight, just a calorie deficit.

@L2T…You made me laugh…7 year diet break. :laugh: I wish for you a calmer week. You’ve been rocking the calorie goals this month!!! Awesome – especially with the busy time you’ve been having.

@Robin…thinking of you today (I believe today is the day of the surgery) My prayers are with you. :heart:

AFM…Sunday was a pretty busy day. We were at church from 9—11 and then my sister, the kids and I went out to Denny’s afterwards. Even did pretty well with Denny’s as my meal was under 800 calories (but I did splurge and had OJ – I usually forgo fruit juice). Then our choir performed at a fund raiser. It was a very moving event. We had 6 churches sing/play bells to do a joint fund raiser for two groups. One assists prisoners get re-established after release (I think they said normally 80% of inmates find themselves back in jail after being released). Of the 8 that they worked with over the past two years, only 1 has gone back. It was started in 2012 by a local nun (although I’m not sure if they are called that anymore). The other is a program to help troubled youth that come out of rehab/detention. We listened to a 19 year old tell her story just before we sang – we were still wiping our tears as we headed toward the front of the church to perform. They are hoping to make it an annual event – Echos of Easter. Then it was picking up kids from babysitter and basketball. Dropping Jacob off at youth group and then Emma and I did shopping. I finally got home at 8:20 and didn’t do anything else. :ohwell:

Saturday: Gym with Sister DONE
    Sunday: Walk NOT DONE
    Monday: Water Aerobics
    Tuesday: Gym with Trainer
    Wednesday: Rest
    Thursday: Gym with Sister
    Friday: Walk
  • Morgori
    Morgori Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    Good morning.

Heidi- Happy Birthday!:flowerforyou:

BDoug- I lived in CT for 20 years, but am now in Vegas. When I was 400lbs I went low carb high protein and lost a lot of lbs without exercise. I now wish I had done some but I guess it is not too late to start. I have type 2 diabetes and low carb and no sugar were mandatory for me which helped greatly. To get started log everything you eat to give you a base to go healthier from.

Robin- Best wishes for your upcoming medical procedure.:flowerforyou:

“Living a healthy lifestyle will only deprive you of poor health, lethargy, and fat.” ~Jill Johnson

Tom
  • aimeemarie150
    aimeemarie150 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    @catecholamine- I've never heard of that surgery. Why can't you have any veggies? :(
    @ jezz94 - welcome!
    @lauriek- I'm so glad special olympics went well! :)
    @susan- we have ALL been in your situation where clothes that fit great one week make you feel blah and fat the next. You're beautiful though, and you've come a long way already!
    @ushkii- I'm glad your ankle is doing better!
    @nettie- yay about the position! :)
    @BDOUG2371 - You may not want to hear it, but you HAVE to track your eating because you're unable to exercise. It's tough, but true. I went from eating out every day to not at all. It sucked, but I'd rather be happy in the future than have that hamburger today. Also, have you tried water aerobics? Also, don't ask us. Ask your doctor what type of exercises you can do that won't hurt your condition.

I 110% agree with Lives. "Nothing is hopeless. If exercise is painful, don't do it. Set MFP to lose 2 lbs. per week and stick to your calorie goal. If you want the fatty food, eat it. Just log it so you're accountable. You need nothing more than a calorie deficit to lose weight. What you cannot do (and nobody can) is out exercise a calorie surplus. Getting your eating in line is the most important step. You can always add exercise later when you're lighter and it causes less (or no) pain.

Just do it one day at a time."

AFM: Thank you for the congratulations, friends! :)
    I'm down to 201.8, which means I'm officially not obese anymore! I'm hoping to drop to at least 199.9 by the end of the week, but my body never agrees with what I want.

I'm setting my next goal to be at 165 by my one year (Aug 19). I figure 35# in about 3.5 months is pretty attainable, but I'll be happy with 175 too.

I went on an 11 mile hike with Aaron yesterday. He pooped out after about 5 1/2, but he's not used to walking as much as I am. We're going to stick to a shorter, but more difficult trail from now on. :)

Told him I loved him this morning. :) Makes me a little nervous, but he said it first about a month ago, and I've been wanting to say it for a while now. We're happily planning a camping trip next month, and our vacation to North Carolina and Virginia for the end of September. If anyone lives in that area feel free to make suggestions for what we can do!
  • Lives2Travel
    Options
    @L2T…You made me laugh…7 year diet break. :laugh: I wish for you a calmer week. You’ve been rocking the calorie goals this month!!! Awesome – especially with the busy time you’ve been having.

@tlh - I wish I was kidding. My last attempt at weight loss ended in Aug. 2006 and my lowest weight was right where I am now....192. I had spent almost a year getting to that weight. Then my youngest left for college and I fell apart. I was not at all prepared for an empty nest and was in mourning for motherhood. I probably should have been on anti-depressants, but just rode it out on my own. Sadly, I consoled myself with food and never got back on track with diet and exercise. In almost 7 years, I regained all the weight I'd lost plus about 20 more pounds for good measure. I wish I could go back in time and give myself a good talking to. What a waste of time and effort!
  • susan2396
    susan2396 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Monday Check-In: Happy Monday MFP friends! I hope everyone had a great weekend. Mine was good, but always WAY too short. I’m pleased to say I’m down 10 lbs this week. I’ve changed up my eating and focusing on a fast metabolism program. I hate to call it the “D” word even though that’s what the book is called, but so far so good. Plus, I went one week without Diet Coke, which is a HUGE accomplishment for me. I still can’t believe I haven’t had one. I do miss my morning beverage and I know my addiction is not over quite yet, but I’m pushing through. I’ve already had 100 oz of water and its only 12:40. Woo Hoo!! Second week of the new program and I’m excited to see my results after 28 days.

@ Kaye – I’m so glad your event went well and what a walk yesterday. You go girl!!!!

@ Ushkii – I’m so glad the ankle is getting better. Don’t push though because you don’t want to strain it again so be careful with exercise.

@ Katrena – HUGS!! I know it’s so tough battling what life throws us and then to try and focus on our weight loss at the same time. You’re in my thoughts and prayers.

@ P1X – Thanks!! I can honestly say this is my first day without a headache. A few days ago I didn’t think I was going to push through, but I did.

@ Heidi – Happy Birthday to you, Happy Birthday to you, Happy Birthday Dear Heidi, Happy Birthday to you!!!! Your family had better remember or I’m coming up to Canada and kick some patooties!!! Also, I smiled reading your post about your son. Asperger’s and ADHD are not easy and they have so many other things to deal with. What a nice boost of confidence this hopefully gave to your son and his potential (for the parents too). Great NSV!!

@ L2T – I would love to say I’m glad to be back, but I could go back to the Virgin Islands tomorrow!! I did miss you guys and it was great to post again. I was out of pocket most of last week as well trying to catch up, but finally things are on track. Have a great week and let’s get you past 192!!

@ Doug – Welcome!!! You found one of the best if not most supportive groups in my opinion. We have a couple guys on here like Ushkii and Morgori. I don’t believe we have anyone from CT, but that’s OK. I use to live in CT years ago in Ridgefield when I was a nanny out of college. All I can say is baby steps. I try to tackle one thing at a time. Like L2T said, logging and accountability is crucial. It’s so important to log every single BLT (bite, lick, taste) because they add up so fast. Since exercise is tough right now, I would focus on your calorie intake. If you can, try to log onto this website every day for support. We will help push you through and give support online the best we can, but as you know you’re the one who makes the ultimate decisions what to eat. During the week, this group moves pretty quickly, but the weekend is much quieter with posts. Again, welcome!!

@ Kelly – I can totally relate about the weekends. I’m going to try and do a little more during my weeknights so I’m not as swamped, i.e. laundry, cleaning, groceries, etc. . . I just want my weekends for fun in the sun and total relaxation!!! Dreaming I know. On the soda, I still can’t believe it. I don’t think I’ve gone a day without Diet Coke in 20 years. Breakfast/lunch/dinner and everything in between. This is really a huge accomplishment for me. Luckily, I never smoked and even tried one so never had to break that habit. The next addiction is this food journey, which I’m working on.

@ Tlh – I was thinking the same thing. Everyone must be super busy. The weekend was really slow, which helped me get caught up so that was a good thing. I couldn’t believe there’s still snow out there. Crazy!! I was sitting at the pool yesterday catching up on some magazines. I’m so spoiled. It sounds like you had a lovely day with your church activities. It always helps me so much when others share their testimony and I realize truly how much I have to be thankful for that’s for sure.

@ Aimee – I’m so happy for you. Love is a beautiful thing and I’m so glad you’ve found someone to share that with. Even though my marriage ended (10 years), I still believe in love one day. I know things I would do differently is more communication, more date nights, compatible activities, and better financial control. I think because Aaron lost weight as well you both understand this journey and the ups and downs that come with it. Again, I’m so happy for you and Aaron both!
  • BDOUG2371
    Options
    Thanks for the message. I did it again today at Friendly's. I have 664 calories left but maybe shouldn't even use them. I did get a grilled chicken sandwich instead of the fried tenders. Didn't need the appetizer though. :( Do you really think staying under calorie goal for day will enable me to lose weight? Without exercise? I can walk in short intervals which feels good after I do it. Physical therapy stretching feels good and I work up a sweat but how do I deduct stretching as an exercise?
  • BDOUG2371
    Options
    Thanks Morgori.....it's hard but going to TRY......
  • Lives2Travel
    Options
    Thanks for the message. I did it again today at Friendly's. I have 664 calories left but maybe shouldn't even use them. I did get a grilled chicken sandwich instead of the fried tenders. Didn't need the appetizer though. :( Do you really think staying under calorie goal for day will enable me to lose weight? Without exercise? I can walk in short intervals which feels good after I do it. Physical therapy stretching feels good and I work up a sweat but how do I deduct stretching as an exercise?

I know it will. I did NO exercise for the first 6+ months and still lost 78 pounds. At your weight, 2 pounds per week is perfectly safe. Set MFP to that loss per week and sedentary. Let it calculate your calories. Get a food scale, weigh everything and log it. IF you do any exercise, log it and eat back half your exercise calories (since MFP estimates calories burned very high). It's truly no more complicated than that.
  • aimeemarie150
    aimeemarie150 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    doug--calorie deficit is what makes you lose weight. the amount that you're able to walk isn't going to add up to enough to compensate over-eating. You need to eat at a deficit.
  • BDOUG2371
    Options
    @tlh0407. You made me laugh when you said you were a single mom, but married, :). I thought of doing what you said. Having a day I am allowed to eat the cheeseburger. I was a fast foodaholic. I still get MCDONALDS occasionally but now Wendy's to me stinks. Used to go there a lot, it always smells like hot cooking oil there and it makes me turned off to their food. We have a place called Jersey Mikes subs. I love their chicken Parmesan sub but I always seem to cave in and get the giant rather than regular. Which is a huge calorie difference. It's hard. Won't I eventually plateau after awhile? That will be frustrating. My 16 yr old daughter offered to go to the gym with me to walk on treadmill and do bike. I can walk longer if bent forward some because it helps with the stenosis. 43 and I have a problem people usually don't get til their 60's!!!
  • BDOUG2371
    Options

I know it will. I did NO exercise for the first 6+ months and still lost 78 pounds. At your weight, 2 pounds per week is perfectly safe. Set MFP to that loss per week and sedentary. Let it calculate your calories. Get a food scale, weigh everything and log it. IF you do any exercise, log it and eat back half your exercise calories (since MFP estimates calories burned very high). It's truly no more complicated than that.

That sounds encouraging. I noticed the exercise calculator here is higher compared to what the treadmill says. Thanks for the reply. 103 lbs lost!! Great job.
  • Tanya949
    Tanya949 Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    @Aimee: have you heard of geocaching? I hike a lot, and geocaching fits in great. You use a GPS (or smartphone app) to find hidden containers, it's a high-tech treasure hunt. There areTONS along hiking trails, everywhere really. It might be something you guys could do while on your camping trip, or even your weekend hikes together. (That's how I met my BF :happy: ) you can sign up for a free account at geocaching.com.

@Susan: glad your cruise went well. Congrats on the diet coke victory! I've been addicted to diet Pepsi for about 25 yrs, quit it twice cold turkey, but it keeps creeping back into my life. I've cut down to one can a day from 6, with the occasional extra since I started MFP (beginning of Feb). I drink my can in the morning at work, like one would a coffee (which I do not drink), so it's been hard to get over that hump and stop it all together.

@Heidi: a very Happy Birthday to you!! :flowerforyou: I hope you do take some time to rest that ankle of yours after your next 1/2 marathon race. Maybe once you can get it to a healthy state again you may see some performance gains. But your times are incredible for having an injury like that.

AFM: I may have spoken too soon about being able to bounce back from that diet break LOL. It's possibly because I didn't eat enough yesterday, but today I made up for it and then some. I'm about 400 calories over my limit today so I'm going to log something on yesterday... Has anyone done that? The calories even out in the end, I just don't like seeing red at the end of the day LOL.

I'm going to continue with my Fitbit goals this week. (Mon-Sat) of 12k steps and 8km. Tomorrow and Wednesday are going to be rainy so I may have to get out my rain coat... No excuses!

I also found an app called fi.tt which is for fitbit challenges. It's pretty cool, my biggest challenge is to get in 500,000 steps by the deadline date(which is 19 days away) and I'm over half way done. It syncs with your fitbit and each time you log in it updates your position. All you fitbit users here may want to check it out. It's really motivating me to get my steps, I'm very competitive.

Fitbit Goals:

1. 12,000 steps
    2. 8km distance

Monday:
    Tuesday:
    Wednesday:
    Thursday:
    Friday:
    Saturday:

Total steps:
    Total distance:
  • grandmakaye44
    grandmakaye44 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    Doug, I started with MFP 6 weeks before a total knee replacement. I couldn't exercise until after the surgery, then had to work up to it. That first 6 weeks I lost 15#. You can do it! Many have suggested that you do just one thing at a time and work up slowly. For me it was better to just dive in with both feet. Do what works best for you. Logging everything is really key. Just eat fewer calories than you burn each day. Just keep in mind that whatever you do has to be sustainable for the rest of your life.
    Onward and downward. Kaye
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    Options
    bump