People who are burning 1000+ calories a day

Options

Replies

• iceqieen
    iceqieen Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    2x60 minutes on a bike to work - using HRM and taking away 100 cal per hour gives me 1200 or so for that :)

or jogging for 90+ minutes. or high intensity on bike/eliptical/treadmill 30 minute session each (cause I get bored after that) all put together.

Basicly sweat enough for long enough.
  • ForeverIrish
    ForeverIrish Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I agree with Mercenary1914. The exercise recommendations are not accurate. Neither are those on the machines, most of the time. I finally bought a heart rate monitor. It's nice because in addition to calories burned, it gives me a percentage of fat burned, too. I look at the 1000+ numbers and often wonder if they're using an HRM or not, too.

I have never burned more than 600 in a workout, but I may be a bum, too.

Thus far at age 43 I've successfully avoided having children, so I'm not going to even think about the breastfeeding burn!
  • BuckeyeLife
    BuckeyeLife Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Tennis. But not the everyday half assed tennis I see. I am by no means going super hard when I am on the court, but I am improving my game to a more acceptable competitive level. My buddy is now recovering from trigger finger, so we are only taking it slow at about an hour or two a week, never more than 75 mins in one session, this burnt nearly 1100 calories. You're on your feet, the time flies by, and you're using intervals a ton. I thought MFP was giving tennis TOO much credit, then this week I used my HRM for the first time while playing, MFP actually under estimates the calorie burn. Running for 30 mins is hard work for me and I would rate it as a 2-3/5 on enjoyable meter. I love running, but I feel like I have less fun doing it. Basically its a "great job at an okay company" where tennis is a "great job at an incredible company." My partner and I were butting 2.5-3 hours on the tennis court easily last year, 2-3 times a week, that rips through calories like you wouldn't imagine!
  • pyororon
    pyororon Posts: 22
    Options
    My routine:

Wake up, go for run, core routine and stretches, breakfast, shower and stuff, walk to school, 3 hours ballet, walk home, quick wash and lunch, walk to town, 3+ hours work, walk home, dinner, practice routines and pointe drills and do flexibility exercises, go for a run, weight training, evening snack, bath and beauty regimen, quick set of stretches and bed.

I live a very dull life, but it's totally worth it :D
  • rgoodearl
    rgoodearl Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    When I burn 1000+ it is due to time and type of exercise. I can do 1 hour on a recumbant bike and burn 700 cal but that same hour on my mountain bike will burn a little over 1000. I'll have weekend rides that average 4 hours and I'll record a burn of 3500 cals. The big (7 hours) rides are really mind blowing! I also recommend using a good HRM for tracking reasons.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    I think it IS possible to burn over 1000 calories a day for workouts/daily activity. Just for giggles and grins, on Friday I put on my pedometer AFTER my treadmill workout (65minutes of hill intervals @3mph) and wore it until bedtime. I burned 396 calories on the treadmill....then another 459 calories just doing daily tasks ( grocery shopping, feeding chickens, making dinner, etc) over the next 11 hours.

I am saving up for a fitbit so I can *really* see what my calorie burn is daily!
  • TwtyMami35
    TwtyMami35 Posts: 99
    Options
    I do a lot of Spin Cycling, Zumba, and Strength Training. I sweat buckets when I go hard. I can burn 700+ cals in each
  • rebsaganes
    rebsaganes Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I know this is sort of off topic, but I'm not one of those folks either. I might come close if I play competitive volleyball for 2 hours (I think I got around 800 calories for that), but never 1000.

I also do not WANT to be one of those folks as I have no desire to spend that kind of time working out. I'd prefer to eat the way I am eating and burn between 400-500 per day doing what I'm doing now.

I just know I could not keep up that type of exercise commitment, but kudos to those who do!

^this
  • Still_Fluffy
    Still_Fluffy Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I burn around 1500 to 2000 calories a day. But I'm a big guy that runs 5 plus miles a day. I also do lots of weight lifting. If you don't weight a lot then you don't burn a lot. One bad thing about losing weight is you burn less when you work out.
  • Peta22
    Peta22 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I'm reasonably fit and weight 63kg... The only way I burn over 1000 cals is via hours of strenuous activity (HRM recorded). The most I have burnt in an hour is about 500-600 (HRM recorded again) and that is cardio hard enough to make me feel like my lungs are bleeding!

But I think it is all specific to the individual and depends on fitness, size and exersize intensity...
  • kedwardspcm
    kedwardspcm Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I would recommend a heart rate monitor to more accurately gauge what you are burning when you workout. I think you might be surprised. When I started to wear my HRM, I noticed the calorie expenditures assigned to activities on MFP were off by quite a bit. I can easily burn 850 cals with two hours of vigorous weight lifting and another 500 cals/hr with circuit training. Even cleaning my house burns about 200 cals :)
  • jonski1968
    jonski1968 Posts: 4,498 Member
    Options
    30 mins P90 and 60-90 mins on the treadmill 7.4 kph
  • tinytinytinynow
    Options
    Most people over estimate the calories they are burning. its as simple as that. one of the many reasons so many people are over weight.
  • Mighty_Rabite
    Mighty_Rabite Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    1000+ calories is pretty much cardio. I just did about an 85 minute strength workout but I use MFP's calculations for strength training and I only got like an extra 350 calories for that, lol.

If I do 85 minutes on the elliptical, I'm usually at a machine readout of 1200+ and I knock 20% off of cardio machines for logging purposes, so that would put me at the 1000.
  • BringYoOwnGreatness13
    Options
    I weight 219. I set my speed to about 3.8 with a incline of 10.5% for 60 mins. I burn a little over 1000 calories. My entire body is soaked after it though. I eat about 1700 to 1800 that day!
  • kksoucie
    kksoucie Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I never burn that much but I try to compensate for the overestimation of calories burned by MFP. I put in my goal weight and pounds per week to lose and then manually lower my calorie goals by 350 a day to make up for the difference. It seems to work and when I follow my counts and stay on track it works very well. I weighed over 310 lbs when I started and have lost almost 23lbs in just over 3 months. I love this site!
  • ellojenn
    ellojenn Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Even with a heart rate monitor, the max I've done is 722 or around that? I average 300-500 a day depending on the workout. 1,000 calorie workouts are just not practical for me, every day. I only have like a pound or two to lose around the belly left so it's a bit impractical for me. I don't like working out for over an over and usually average 30-40 minutes.
  • ChampCrucial
    ChampCrucial Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I mix activities that are high intensity. An example is basketball and circuit training on weekends. AN example of my circuit training would be 30s jumprope, 30 bob and weave punches each side, 100 speed jumping jacks, 20 jumping pull ups, 10 burpees, and 40 kettle bell swings. Then I repeat a few times. Boom 1000 calories

On weekdays its Elliptical, basketball, strength training, or simply walking. Its all about accumulation and work. Don't worry about it too much. That kind of activity daily is strenuous and should not be done daily unless you have to, such as a manual labor job

A BIG FACTOR IS OUR WEIGHT. The heavier you are, the more you burn
  • onefortyone
    onefortyone Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    The only time I came CLOSE to a 1k calorie workout was when I was swimming. An hour of swimming burned between 600-900 calories and made me HUNGRY as hell lol. I miss that!
  • Trad_Barbie
    Trad_Barbie Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Please tell me, what ARE you doing? I've been snooping in a few food diaries for ideas and ideal macro ratios and I see "you have 123924397334239 extra calories today". I maybe burn about 300 extra a day now, when I was doing p90x maybe around 700 extra...I'm really curious?

I know for me personally when I hit the rock gym I can burn 600+ calories an hour, climb for 2~3 hours and I'm looking at a 1,200-1,800 calorie burn. Especially since I climb at a 5.9+ right now (probably Greek for you, I know.)
    When I mountaineer I burn over 3,500 calories during a rest day due just to altitude and exertion.
    But on a typical day (five days a week) I burn 500~600 extra in cardio alone, factor in an hour of climbing indoors two days a week and I burn an extra 600ish those days. Looking at 1,100-1,200 on the two days I climb indoors.
    But that's just me.