My calorie goal hard to reach, any suggestions?

Options

Replies

• KatMicNYC
    KatMicNYC Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Check your sugar consumption, I find that if I eat more food that contain high amounts of sugar, like yogurt, protein shakes, fruits I tend to have a harder time fighting off the hunger. Try replacing any high sugar foods with proteins like eggs or high fats like avocados, and after good piece of salmon I am definitely not hungry. I have the same issue right now.
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    I knew this thread reminded me of something

80s broscience dude needs to read Sara's story - I think it fits well here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/903628-one-year-of-barbells-and-ice-cream-my-story-so-far-pics
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Check your sugar consumption, I find that if I eat more food that contain high amounts of sugar, like yogurt, protein shakes, fruits I tend to have a harder time fighting off the hunger. Try replacing any high sugar foods with proteins like eggs or high fats like avocados, and after good piece of salmon I am definitely not hungry. I have the same issue right now.

So shouldn't you be advising the OP to eat more sugary food since the issue isn't that they have a hard time fighting off hunger, but rather that they aren't hungry and need to eat more?
  • Clendenen49
    Clendenen49 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    You'll all get fatter eventually and 1 of every 2 of us will have heart problems due to our poor diets. so make fun now while you can
  • Clendenen49
    Options

So shouldn't you be advising the OP to eat more sugary food since the issue isn't that they have a hard time fighting off hunger, but rather that they aren't hungry and need to eat more?
    Encouraging someone to eat more sugary foods ? I just do not understand you MFP people
  • Xingy01
    Xingy01 Posts: 83 Member
    Options

There are definite negatives to having a large calorie deficit. The greater the calorie deficit, the greater the muscle loss during weight loss. Also, the greater your metabolism wants to bridge the energy gap between calorie intake and calorie burn and will slow down if you sustain a large calorie deficit for a long period of time. Studies also show that with a large calorie deficit and faster weight loss, you're much much more likely to regain the weight and actually overshoot your original weight on the way up, mainly due to hormones that make you hungry when the body senses rapid weight loss and keep making you hungry even when you gain weight again...

I'm not here to debate. Your metabolism doesn't change significantly when you eat a large deficit. Everyone eating at a deficit will have a small decrease in metabolism, but it isn't exponential and it's temporary... so it's a non-factor. It absolutely does not matter. He's not starving himself so muscle loss won't be significantly if any different than if he was eating a few hundred more calories.

An individual is not a statistic. You can't point at someone and tell them that eating 1200 calories will definitely cause them to gain weight after they finish dieting. Something being statistically significant doesn't mean that it applies to everyone. Some people will have more success losing 2 lbs/week than 1/2 lb/week and vice versa. And don't use words like "much more likely" if you don't have the source. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1038/oby.2001.134/full here you will see that there is evidence against the idea of a VLCD hindering long term success of weight loss. While it is a popular idea and is often repeated, there isn't much research to back up the claim that VLCD is more likely to cause weight gain...while there is evidence against the claim.

Sidenote: OP isn't on a vlcd and I'm not advocating them...but I am disputing the notion that lower calorie diets are more harmful or won't work as well as eating a few hundred more calories.

Here's a quote from the conclusion section of the paper you linked to:
    VLCDs and LCDs with an average intake between 400 and 800 kcal/d do not result in differences in body weight loss, as shown in some RCTs. Therefore, the pessimistic 1958 view of Stunkard and McLaren-Hume (1), that most patients will not lose weight, is no longer true. However, their statement that most patients regain their lost weight is still true. Although their are difficulties in comparing studies because of large variations in the design and control of study variables, the overall picture is still very negative. VLCD in combination with active follow-up treatment seems to be one of the better treatment modalities for long-term weight maintenance success. Carefully controlled studies, however, are needed to determine more precisely the role of VLCD or other dietary treatments such as LCD in the treatment of obesity. Questions such as the rate and level of initial weight loss, as well as gender differences on weight-maintenance success, need further attention.

The body is always working towards equilibrium. Everything we have seen in science shows the the universe prefers equilibrium and takes steps to get to it. You can't argue that a higher calorie deficit is superior to a lower calorie deficit because you've completely left out adaptive thermogenesis. Sorry for not providing links earlier, I will do that now:

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/65/3/717.full.pdf+html

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/65/3/717.full.pdf+html

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22846776

"However, their statement that most patients regain their lost weight is still true." What is the significance of this statement? It is also true for people who are on less calorie restrictive diets. 4/5 of all people on a diet are going to fail. Most will gain weight.

I never said that people on a VLCD are more successful or are less likely to gain weight. I said there isn't much difference between the two. Nobody is disputing that our bodies have homeostatic responses. You lose weight, ghrelin levels go up, leptin goes down, you eat and gain the weight back. Losing weight more slowly will make you feel more satiated, but there are obviously other factors that contribute heavily. A huge part of losing weight is psychological which is one reason why people who have bariatric surgery or are on a doctor supervised VLCD with therapy are much more successful than the general public. Only 1/5 of them regain weight.

Again, I'm not advocating one method over the other. Many people lose weight on a variety of different calorie restrictive diets. Some find one way easier than another. As I told OP...if he is getting enough nutrients in his 1200 calorie diet and he feels satisfied and not starving, then there should be no issue. 1200 isn't vlc and getting enough nutrients shouldn't be an issue. If it's not working for him, he can change it. Odds are, he will fail and need to change something anyway. Help people figure out what works for them and encourage them to modify instead of give up if it doesn't work out.

By the way, the first article you linked has a poor sample.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    You'll all get fatter eventually and 1 of every 2 of us will have heart problems due to our poor diets. so make fun now while you can

25gqxl4.gif
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

Encouraging someone to eat more sugary foods ? I just do not understand you MFP people

Is that what I was doing?
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options

Ok, works for me.

Thanks!
  • jayliospecky
    jayliospecky Posts: 25,022 Member
    Options
    Ohai. I'm just here for the ice cream.
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    Ohai. I'm just here for the ice cream.

Pass. I can't swim in it... And it has strange chick' goober all over it.
  • Xingy01
    Options

I just ate 2 Reese's cups. I think those 210 calories are going to make me gain 5 lbs. brb let me weigh myself. Nope. Still the same weight.
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options

2vi3vgp.gif

Your words hurt me right in the interweb
  • Clendenen49
    Options

2vi3vgp.gif

Your words hurt me right in the interweb

The way some people are sensitive to my opinions sure does feel like I do
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options

I just ate 2 Reese's cups. I think those 210 calories are going to make me gain 5 lbs. brb let me weigh myself. Nope. Still the same weight.

Did it make you lose muscle and give you heart disease??? :laugh:
  • Clendenen49
    Options

You definitely didnt help your body
  • Clendenen49
    Options

Sure doesnt help gain muscle or lessen the chance of heart Problems. so it could have
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

LOL. I don't think so. Why don't you go back to Bodybuilding.com Clendaddy49? Maybe that's better suited for you?
  • Xingy01
    Options

It did. I think I'm going to have a heart attack in a minute. Oh wait that's just gas.
This discussion has been closed.