Why in the world would a guy wear jeans at the gym???

Options
167891012»

Replies

• richardositosanchez
    richardositosanchez Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I've seen dudes wear flip flops when lifting weights.
  • kassav61
    kassav61 Posts: 1
    Options
    Why do you care? Going to the gym isn't supposed to be a fashion show. Whatever works for him is none of your concern. At least he's there (regularly from the sounds of it), so mind your own business.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    Why do you care? Going to the gym isn't supposed to be a fashion show. Whatever works for him is none of your concern. At least he's there (regularly from the sounds of it), so mind your own business.

I can't believe someone FINALLY said it! Solid first post.
  • arielfirby
    arielfirby Posts: 12
    Options
    Slip of a dumbbell and it could fall on the poor guys toes. If the guy wants to be barefoot, go for it. If he breaks his toes from dropping a weight on it, he shouldn't hold the gym responsible.
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    But it is a fashion show.
    Just look around..mostly the women. They gotta wear something "cute" to the gym!
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    But it is a fashion show.
    Just look around..mostly the women. They gotta wear something "cute" to the gym!

We aren't trying to look cute. We can't help it. It just happens naturally.
  • 120by30
    120by30 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Slip of a dumbbell and it could fall on the poor guys toes. If the guy wants to be barefoot, go for it. If he breaks his toes from dropping a weight on it, he shouldn't hold the gym responsible.

A regular shoe still wouldn't help in that case. Only a steel-toed shoe is going to protect a person's toe if a weight is dropped on it.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    A sneaker is significantly better protection against dropped weights than nothing at all. And on top of that, shoes protect against stubbed toes. I know I've accidentally run my foot into several things while wearing shoes that could have resulted in broken toes had I not been wearing anything.
  • carolstartingover
    carolstartingover Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend wears jeans to the gymn, because he has worn them all his life. And he hasn't wore tennis shoes until the last 2 years. My dad won't wear shorts because he has chicken legs. He is a big strong man and then the chicken legs. Dad won't wear jogging pants. My boyfriend will wear those if it is cold out. My boyfriend has always worn his tight and if he does not complain about my tidy whities, then I say nothing. I will tell you what was upsetting.

This gal, who no longer comes to our Fit club. She has Anorexia so bad that her bones are all you see. So, she takes off her jacket and has a sports bra on. My boyfriend was going to complain about it because it makes people sick to see it.

Common sense: Many people don't have it. Why do women wear shorts up to their *kitten* at my age? Who knows?
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    There is a super cool old man that works out at my gmy in jeans, poloshirt and boots. He rocks

We old people don't care what you wear to the gym...we don't even care what we wear. We are just glad that we can still show up!

That's what makes us super cool.

:laugh:

tumblr_inline_mox990AAdo1qz4rgp.jpg
  • Nedra19455
    Nedra19455 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    It's funny that this behavior disturbs you so much. Me, I'd find it refreshing -- a testament to the fact that you don't have to have a separate wardrobe in order to exercise.

I bought one workout outfit because I am hoping to go down a few sizes and don't want to have to buy more 5 new sets of workout clothes (which I hate the look of) every couple months. So I just do walking most days a week and walk in normal clothes -- even if I'm walking on a treadmill. Then I wash my one workout outfit every other day so that I can do more intense cardio 3 days a week.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    People sweat on the carpet ya know. Considering carpets don't get washed nearly as much as tile flooring. Dude needed to wear shoes. Especially while lifting weights. Common sense.

LOLwut?
    :huh:

What pathogens do you think you're being infected with through your feet from dripped sweat that isn't happening with contact with any other part of your body from all of the other potentially sweaty surfaces?

What you're calling "common sense" sounds more like "uninformed paranoia".

That said, shoes are a generally good idea because heavy weights, but it's not like it's a particularly hazardous activity with a high likelihood of injury without shoes.

And then there's my own n=1 of lifting in my basement for many years without a foot injury. *shrug*
  • kLPantera
    kLPantera Posts: 5
    Options
    Maybe he looks the look of denim, who knows.
  • CanGirl40
    CanGirl40 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I guess my confusion lies in how hot and uncomfortable jeans would feel...personally I love jeans. I just can't imagine wearing them to workout since they don't breathe well....????
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    People sweat on the carpet ya know. Considering carpets don't get washed nearly as much as tile flooring. Dude needed to wear shoes. Especially while lifting weights. Common sense.

LOLwut?

What pathogens do you think you're being infected with through your feet from dripped sweat that isn't happening with contact with any other part of your body from all of the other potentially sweaty surfaces?

That said, shoes are a generally good idea because heavy weights, but it's not like it's a particularly hazardous activity with a high likelihood of injury without shoes.

And then there's my own n=1 of lifting in my basement for many years without a foot injury. *shrug*

I agree with all of this except the shoes bit- sneakers aren't going to protect you any more than slippers- any more than socks any more than barefeet.

They all have cloth top surfaces- so unless you are lifting in boots- or regular leather shoes- it's just not going to make a huge difference.

I've kicked a weight in vibrams on accident- hurt just as much as when I kicked my the stairs running into my room once when I was barefoot.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options

LOLwut?

I agree with all of this except the shoes bit- sneakers aren't going to protect you any more than slippers- any more than socks any more than barefeet.

They all have cloth top surfaces- so unless you are lifting in boots- or regular leather shoes- it's just not going to make a huge difference.

I've kicked a weight in vibrams on accident- hurt just as much as when I kicked my the stairs running into my room once when I was barefoot.

Yeah, I wasn't fully committed to the sneaker part of my post anyhow. I was just throwing the pro-shoes side of the argument a bone.

I wear Inov-8 to the gym which probably provide only slightly better protection than just socks...and when I lift at home, I often take those off too.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    There are some places where you could be more likely to get fungus. But, if you were to wash your feet right away and go bare foot, then you may not get it, even if you came into contact with it. Usually what happens is that the foot comes into contact with it, then the person puts on shoes (without washing their feet), and wear the shoes all day and sweat, etc. The feet are obviously more likely to grow foot fungus than other body parts, specifically between the toes.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    I don't care what people wear, but jeans are banned at my gym because they tear up the leather on all the benches etc. and people stink to high heaven working out in them. Whatevs.

Because they don't stink in any other clothing when working out? :laugh:
    The correlation seems quite high.