Any child free peeps on MFP?

Options

Replies

• mmm_drop
    mmm_drop Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    Do dogs count?

I love my friends with kids and their kids, but I knew a long time ago it wasn't for me.
  • jlhensonus
    jlhensonus Posts: 1
    Options
    Married for 10 years, we chose to be child-free. I worry we may change our minds later, but I doubt it. We are almost 40 and don't really think we are missing out. When my friends have kids, I feel sorry for them because I think their fun lives are over. So I think we made the right decision.
  • jennalennafur
    jennalennafur Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Me!! I mean, I'm only 22 but I have no desire whatsoever to procreate! Never ever forever never.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    My mind is honestly quite boggled by these responses. I guess most people here do not know of "childfree by choice" being a thing?

it's not the same as just not having kids, or having an empty nest because your children are older now...
  • lorigem
    lorigem Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Yup - but obviously I'll change my mind (ask anyone they've told me often enough since I was 19 years old).:huh:

Right? I got married which undoubtedly meant that children will soon come after. Um...no. And I don't understand why it's unbelievable that a person or couple opt-out of parenting? Why is that so hard to believe? Never understood the mindset of some.
  • gobonas99
    gobonas99 Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    almost:sad:
    I have a senior daughter.She is 18 and going to FSU in August. I will miss her horribly:sad:

:huh: If you actually have a child, you are NOT child free.

Child free means you have no intention of ever having children. EVER. It is a conscious decision you have made.

Child-less is typically intended to refer to people who want children but either can't have them or don't have any yet.

You, having a child who is getting ready to go off to college, are going to be what is referred to as an "empty nester".
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    Just curious :flowerforyou:

:drinker:

Edit: And just to clarify, to be child free is to make the choice not to have children. Not, "I don't have kids now, but maybe some day." Nope, you are not child free. :wink:

You forgot those who would have liked children, but never were able to....like one of my nieces who had a hysterectomy at age 23 due to cancer .
  • beleeLafter
    beleeLafter Posts: 47
    Options
    Nope, none, nada :)

I didn't originally start out thinking/choosing that lifestyle but have evolved into it. Now that I'm too old for that business......traveling is much more a passion of mine. I'm fine being a fantastic aunt! Without a doubt though, I would take on that responsibility if something happened to my brothers and their wives. That may have just kicked me out of the club :P
  • maab_connor
    maab_connor Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
  • lorigem
    lorigem Posts: 446 Member
    Options

Edit: And just to clarify, to be child free is to make the choice not to have children. Not, "I don't have kids now, but maybe some day." Nope, you are not child free. :wink:

You forgot those who would have liked children, but never were able to....like one of my nieces who had a hysterectomy at age 23 due to cancer .

No - that would make them childless. A different concept altogether. Gabonas99 summed it up quite nicely.
  • gobonas99
    Options

She didn't forget. people who would like children but can't have them are typically considered childless, not child free (especially considering that there is ALWAYS adoption available). Child FREE means you don't WANT kids.
  • maab_connor
    maab_connor Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options

that's childless, not child free by choice.
  • Ang108
    Options
    Not only am I child free, but also live very happily alone.......makes being in my mid-60's much easier....:o).
  • greenmonstergirl
    greenmonstergirl Posts: 619 Member
    Options
    45 and no kids and happy as can be!
  • Ang108
    Options

No - that would make them childless. A different concept altogether. Gabonas99 summed it up quite nicely.

English is not my native tongue and I now wonder if there is a difference between child free and childless, or are they interchangeable ?
  • tehboxingkitteh
    tehboxingkitteh Posts: 1,574 Member
    Options
    Do you discriminate against those with fur babies?
  • gobonas99
    Options

English is not my native tongue and I now wonder if there is a difference between child free and childless, or are they interchangeable ?

They are VERY different:

Child free means you have no intention of ever having children. EVER. It is a conscious decision you have made.

Child-less is typically intended to refer to people who want children but either can't have them or don't have any yet.

ETA - in your niece's case, she would be considered childless, IF she wants children....because even if she can't have any biological kids due to her hysterectomy, she could still adopt. :flowerforyou:
  • Forty6and2
    Forty6and2 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    Yup - but obviously I'll change my mind (ask anyone they've told me often enough since I was 19 years old).:huh:

Me too. 'Cause ya know, us womens don't have anything to do with our lives other than have kids, cook, and clean.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,565 Member
    Options

Men are children at heart.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Forty6and2
    Forty6and2 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    My only children are my cats. I don't need those tiny human things, I can teach my cats how to take over the world once I am gone.