It should be required by federal law...

Options

Replies

• chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options

On a side bar...it would be great if every place could offer lighter menu options, like under 500 calorie choices. That would make me super happy.

They do. It's called only eating part of it. Now you can be super happy!

That's hardly realistic! You can't expect someone to control what they eat. Everyone needs to be told what to do, when to do it, and that includes what and how much we eat. We can't control ourselves!
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    Expensive? it would take about 2-4 hours (depending on menu size) to sit down with a menu and go through every item and calculate the totals. Then you could print out 1 copy for each table and laminate it and it could cost less than 50 bucks.

There is no excuse not to let your customers know whats in what they are eating.

Heh, well that's charming.

Yep, because we all know that when the government gets involved, things happen quickly. Certainly, there wouldn't be any testing procedures involved. I bet the restaurant can just use the MFP numbers and be done with it....SO EASY.

/sarcasm
  • Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    I'm not denying that average quality of life in developed countries is higher, just critiquing the use of the term 'first world'. Especially as it's usage here is showing how it has directly impacted peoples views to the extent they're implying that there are no restaurants in developing nations. We often see rural areas where standards of living are shocking in the media, and many people think of this if you're asked what first comes to mind if I say "Nigeria" for instance, we never see the cities and infrastructure that also exist.

I've been to Algeria, Egypt, and several other countries of that socioeconomic level. I've been to England, France and live in the US. I've been in their respective major cities. You would not make the statements you did if you had also had the opportunity.
  • FancyPantsFran
    FancyPantsFran Posts: 3,687 Member
    Options
    No it shouldn't be required by federal law.. Its up to the individual to make the best choices they can if you don't see something on the menu for you then move on. On side bar I love restaurants who offer under 500 cal options
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    Nope. No issues at all.
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    I would love it if it was always available in some form...though I must say I do not like it so "in your face" as to be on every menu item all the time...example: needed something to eat at the airport in NY. Slim pickings. Went to a sports bar type place where every menu item had the nutritional info...couldn't find anything even remotely healthy but needed to eat.... I ordered terrible chili that was about 900 calories for a bowl. Plus is was expensive.I'd rather have been in ignorance if my choices are bad or worse and just get what sounds good.

But in general, yes, I wish I could always find the info if I wanted it. I just pick something from the database that sounds close when I don't have the actual info. It's not perfect, but it doesn't happen enough that it's really an issue.

On a side bar...it would be great if every place could offer lighter menu options, like under 500 calorie choices. That would make me super happy.

Yes, that would work if you could take 1/2 of your food home all the time, but that is not always possible, so paying for a 900 calories meal and only eating about 500 calories or less is a waste of money and food because the restaurant will be throwing away what the patrons don’t eat. Having smaller portions available in the menu is a win-win situation.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    I would love it if it was always available in some form...though I must say I do not like it so "in your face" as to be on every menu item all the time...example: needed something to eat at the airport in NY. Slim pickings. Went to a sports bar type place where every menu item had the nutritional info...couldn't find anything even remotely healthy but needed to eat.... I ordered terrible chili that was about 900 calories for a bowl. Plus is was expensive.I'd rather have been in ignorance if my choices are bad or worse and just get what sounds good.

But in general, yes, I wish I could always find the info if I wanted it. I just pick something from the database that sounds close when I don't have the actual info. It's not perfect, but it doesn't happen enough that it's really an issue.

Yes, that would work if you could take 1/2 of your food home all the time, but that is not always possible, so paying for a 900 calories meal and only eating about 500 calories or less is a waste of money and food because the restaurant will be throwing away what the patrons don’t eat. Having smaller portions available in the menu is a win-win situation.

There's always the kids menu.
  • Timelordlady85
    Timelordlady85 Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    I totally agree OP, its why I don't go out to eat much. I like knowing how many calories are in my foods and how they will be cooked,etc.
  • ashleypiasecki
    ashleypiasecki Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I totally agree- this is not a huge effort my any means, it just takes someone with an attention span and a calculator. I've done this for the final "prepared values" of many of my homecooked items, including my turkey-beef chili and some of my grandma's recipes, for carbs, calories, fat and fiber. It takes a bit of time when you have a lot of ingredients, but it's good to actually know where you stand with a cup of chili or a piece of the lasagna.
  • Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options

There's no pleasing people.

Start your own restaurant and set your own rules. Then eat in that restaurant exclusively. You can choose the prep method, the portion size, the nutritional content and everything in between.

I did. It's called "My Kitchen". It's not making me any money but I get exactly what I want and I'm not imposing my wants on other private citizens.
  • molonlabe762
    molonlabe762 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Disagree, it is nice when a restaraunt has nutrition info but there are times I dont want to know. If im having a cheat day and going out to have a good time with my wife I dont realy pay attention to the calories, and realy dont WANT to see them. Again, its nice when they have it available but shouldnt be a law.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    I totally agree- this is not a huge effort my any means, it just takes someone with an attention span and a calculator. I've done this for the final "prepared values" of many of my homecooked items, including my turkey-beef chili and some of my grandma's recipes, for carbs, calories, fat and fiber. It takes a bit of time when you have a lot of ingredients, but it's good to actually know where you stand with a cup of chili or a piece of the lasagna.

Apparently you skipped the entire thread. It has been pointed out numerous times why it would take far more than that. You're forgetting the whole federal mandate part of it.
  • Rianne90
    Rianne90 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I don't think nutritional info provided by restaurants could ever be accurate enough to be worth it. Especially at dinnertime, when it's super busy, do you really think the cooks will pull out the foodscale to measure out 150 grams of chicken breast or vegetables, or bother measuring out the amount of oil they put in the pan or dressing they put on the salad? I wouldn't if I were them, and I don't expect them to. Accurat nutritional info on a menu seems an unrealistic dream and can never be more than a guesstimate in my opinion.
  • Schtroumpfkin
    Schtroumpfkin Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    The federal government intruding on private businesses is not a good solution.

Here's an alternative

1. Go to restaurants that provide the information and avoid those that don't
    2. Encourage more of your friends to do the same

Either the restaurants you're avoiding will begin providing that information to attract more business or they won't

Hmm. This is missing the point. You are regarding those restaurants that AREN'T publishing these figures as "the bad guys". However, think of the litigation risk. Some customers (unfortunately) wouldn't take calorie estimates in good faith and then blame restaurateurs for making them fat if they mistakenly provided the wrong information. Nutrition would have to be signed off by an independent, third party who then took-on that litigation risk. Taking on that risk is EXPENSIVE and only worth paying if you think you may be sued yourself. So - who are our prime "good guy" candidates here who have the most to lose if somebody "claims ignorance" and sues the pants off them a la tobacco companies? A big golden "M" comes to mind and a chain selling overpriced coffee under the guise of a weird water sprite perhaps? Do they ALREADY publish calorie content? Oh yes - EVEN in countries which don't enforce it. Wow - they must really have our best interests at heart! Meanwhile, the disgusting family run seafood stall which is cooking it's fresh catch, daily, depending on what they get in - they're NOT. SCUM. LET'S BOYCOTT THEM.
  • CA_Underdog
    CA_Underdog Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Especially at dinnertime, when it's super busy, do you really think the cooks will pull out the foodscale to measure out 150 grams of chicken breast or vegetables,
    The FDA aims for a 20% accurate level--enough to be useful without being unrealistic--so if that 8oz chicken was 7oz or 9oz, they would be just fine. If it's varying between 4oz and 12oz, there's a problem.
    FDA: FDA does not intend to impose an unrealistic regime (e.g., to require exacting measurements or strict portion controls) in restaurants. However, the agency is requiring that a restaurant have a reasonable basis for believing that a food meets the nutrient requirements for a claim, and that it be able to provide reasonable assurance that the preparation of the food adheres to the basis for the claim.

As passed in California, it's been quite useful. The Cheesecake Factory revealed its blackened chicken sandwich has 1,400 calories and 2,000 mg of sodium. Even if a particular serving may range between 1120-1680 calories, and between 1600-2400mg of sodium, it empowers us to make informed choices. All of those sodium levels are above what I would allow except for a particularly celebratory occasion. And, again, I cited a study showing that consumers often do use this information to eat better.
  • rowlandsw
    rowlandsw Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    More places should list it but i don't want the feds anywhere near my food so there is no way i'd support them regulating anything. We already got too much of a nanny state going on here, just look at California and NYC with their food laws.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options

You are comparing your home cooked recipes and saying it takes time (for a recipe), but you don't think it would be that big of an effort for a restaurant to do this. You do understand there is testing to be done to get the information right?

One of my favorite places to go out to eat, changes their menu daily, especially the seafood items as it all depends on what they get from the boats coming in. So now they have to get the items, figure out the nutrition for what they make daily...and post this for the lazy and unrealistic consumer...

Everyone-is-entitled-to-be-stupid-but-you-are-abusing-the-privilege-t-shirt.jpg
  • CA_Underdog
    CA_Underdog Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    You do understand there is testing to be done to get the information right?
    Nope. The FDA does not require laboratory testing. Specifically--
    Nutrient levels may be determined based on reliable nutrient data bases, cookbooks, or analyses