critically accalimed moveis u thought were really bad?

1111213141517»

Replies

• CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    300: Rise of an Empire....

when they (the main girl and main guy) did it I almost started screaming at the screen in protest for men, yes men because it whittled a story about war down to nothing more than a powerless-sex-crazed-forget-about-your-people-pathetic man :noway:

ETA: Wow I just realized I described every U.S. politician

Did what?
  • pita7317
    pita7317 Posts: 1,437 Member
    AMERICAN HUSTLE. Terrible !
  • misscristie
    misscristie Posts: 643 Member
    Sideways
  • Tatonka_usn
    Tatonka_usn Posts: 433 Member
    'Pulp Fiction': saw it and couldn't figure out why so many people raved about it so I went to see it AGAIN (I do try to be open-minded) and still came to the same conclusion. Lame. Have seen several Tarantino flicks and feel that each one is worse than the last. The only one I liked was 'Natural Born Killers' and I think that was written by Tarantino but directed by Oliver Stone.

IMHO...Tarantino is overrated and uses gratuitous violence for shock value just to get people talking to drum up publicity. Ho hum, how dull. As a viewer, I don't care to be played like that. :yawn:

THIS!!! Have NEVER found ANYTHING by Tarantino to be entertaining, Pulp Fiction and Reservoir Dogs in particular. His big schtick was taking the movies, breaking them down into segments, and jumbling up the chronological orders. ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ :noway: :grumble:
  • Tatonka_usn
    I typically tend to avoid those movies which tout themselves as "critically acclaimed", which....to me....translates to "garbage". Here are just a few, and In no particular order:
    - Thin Red Line --> How can an "ensemble cast" get roped into such poo? Dragged on INTERMINABLY!
    - Lost in Translation --> Waaaay to slow, and without a real premise.....
    - Sideways --> Not sure where it was TRYING to go, but it never got there.....
    - The Notebook --> Don't usually mind chick flicks (too much), but this set a whole new standard for SCHMALTZY!
    - Hurt Locker --> HORRIBLY overhyped, based more of the whole "James Cameron's Ex" angle than anything else. I'm a HUGE war movie fan, but this was one of THE worst.....

Not "critically acclaimed", but you can add these remakes to the list:
    - The Longest Yard --> Adam Sandler.....really?!?!?!
    - Red Dawn --> Utter waste!

Also, add in the ENTIRE "stupid humor" genre.....to include Adam Sandler, Sacha Baron Cohen, Rob Schneider, Owen Wilson, Will Ferrell, Seth Rogen, etc.
  • montana_girl
    montana_girl Posts: 1,403 Member
    Lost in Translation

The only time I ever truly hated a movie. Critically acclaimed and a friend raved about it, so I figured it would be good. But two hours later, the credits were rolling and I was still waiting for something (anything!) to happen.

2 hours of my life wasted....
  • ActiveGuy81
    ActiveGuy81 Posts: 705 Member
    Bug was the worst movie ever, and I love Ashley Judd, but it was terrible.
  • imju5tme
    imju5tme Posts: 85 Member
    Brokeback Mountain (that got turned off after 15 minutes)
    A Clockwork Orange (found myself physically recoiling from the screen in revulsion)
    The Elephant Man
    The City of Lost Children (and I tried SOOOO hard to like this one)
  • wehave4
    wehave4 Posts: 97 Member
    Forest Gump

You could at least spell it correctly.
    [/quote

:grumble: I don't care enough about the movie to worry about if I spelled the movie name right. Geez!!!
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    Lost in Translation

The only time I ever truly hated a movie. Critically acclaimed and a friend raved about it, so I figured it would be good. But two hours later, the credits were rolling and I was still waiting for something (anything!) to happen.

agreed. And I love Japan!

I'm thinking a lot of these movies being mentioned aren't actually critically acclaimed as I haven't heard of em :smile:
  • skrlec70
    skrlec70 Posts: 302 Member
    American hustle bluech
  • Tatonka_usn
    Lost in Translation

agreed. And I love Japan!

Same here. Was stationed in Japan for nearly 3 years.....and loved it.....but Lost in Translation just never resonated with me. Slow, plodding, and without any perceptible "depth" (if you ask me).....
  • bmqbonnie
    bmqbonnie Posts: 836 Member
    Well I looked up Gravity to see if there was something I was missing. Doesn't look like I did. I caught onto the rebirth and evolution metaphors, like the shot where she looks like a fetus or when she lands on Earth and is fumbling around. I didn't hate it, but I'd still just rate it as "okay". Still missing something? I thought they were cool shots, but they were just that- shots.
  • Jestinia
    Jestinia Posts: 1,154 Member
    Les Mis. We were laughing so hard we were lucky not to get thrown out of the theater.