Goal reached. Family horrified.

Options

Replies

• oChristyo
    oChristyo Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Wow! Sounds like a bunch of jealously to me. For what it's worth I think you look great. :)
  • aNewYear123
    aNewYear123 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    You look great. If you talk to your family over skype maybe you don't see them very often? If not then they are just used to seeing you heavier and they need to get used to seeing you as you are now. For those who, supposedly, know something about nutrition give them facts by stating that you are finally in the healthy range for BMI and you intend to stay there to stay healthy. (I also noticed the sports you listed for your father tend to be ones where heavier - although muscle not fat - is better, so that may skew his body perception as well)
  • rsoice
    rsoice Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Think you look fantastic. If you're happy, that's what matters.
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,426 Member
    Options
    I'm not going to read through the other 12 pages but I will say you look amazing. Definitely not too thin or "Ew". Who says that?!?!
    I think you look healthy and happy and I wouldn't change a thing.

The only thing I can think about your family (besides that they need lessons in tact) is they are used to seeing you a certain way. When folks lose a bunch of weight it doesn't fit with how we are used to seeing them. I know two women (older than you) who both lost a bunch of weight. Unfortunately they did it with pure cardio and little to no lifting and their faces looked old and gaunt. It took me a few months with one of them to see her thinner as her normal look and now I think she looks fine. The other one though still looks bad and keeps losing and looking worse.

If your family says anything again I'd thank them for their love and concern, tell them according to your doctor you are very healthy and that you personally are quite happy with how you look. I'd let them know you would appreciate them not making any more negative comments because it's just hurtful. Hopefully that will shut them up!

Congratulations!
  • hope199sunshine
    Options
    You look absolutely stunning. Kudos to your hard work for attaining this. Am glad you did it, worry not they shall accept you the way you are because they are your family. I really feel inspired looking at you.
  • LassoOfTruth
    LassoOfTruth Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    Your family is inconsistent, and annoying. Are you happy? Stop worrying what they say.
  • DapperKay
    DapperKay Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    OMG - Its like you just told my story.

My family are ALWAYS saying this to me.

UNTIL .. wait for it... I saw them in person.

And then I realized it is because skype and photos are just so unbelievably deceiving and they make the face look much narrower than it actually is. I wouldnt worry about it - give them time - besides you are doing this for yourself not for them. Enjoy your success.
  • NextPage
    NextPage Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    First of all - who in the heck doesn't look "EW" while being viewed on Skpe?. I look like I'm on the set of the Blair Witch project (direct view up the nostrils and super pale like the actors in this film). Unless your family all have state of art "hollywood" style equipment I suggest they pledge to never judge each other's looks while skyping. Of course, passing on the "judgement" altogether would be ideal.

In terms of your pictures your face looks beautiful before and after and you look super cute in the after picture. More importantly your face radiates happiness. Isn't that what all our families shiould want for us?
  • KatMarieLivinG
    KatMarieLivinG Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    People don't like change. You no longer look how you did so that must be bad right? Wrong! As long as you are eating healthy, exercising, and happy, they should be happy for you.
  • winyin
    winyin Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Your family is wrong. You look great.
  • shabone
    shabone Posts: 18
    Options
    Okay...I don't see why your family would be saying you look awful??? You look great and you look healthy, not at all too skinny. If I were you I would just ignore those comments. You know what a healthy weight range is and if you are right in the middle then what is the problem? I'd rather be healthy and feel good about myself than try and please someone else and be unhealthy. Again, you look wonderful! Good for you!
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    Does your family come from a long line of blind people?
  • Luckee_me
    Luckee_me Posts: 1,426 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    First things first. You look amazing.
    Second thing I believe in my opinion that everyone would be hurt by the things they said. So I'm pretty sure it's not just you.
    Third it never ceases to amaze me how people talk to each other, if I was you I'd find a shovel and an alibi and start sorting them out.
    Have a great day.
  • ednaemerson
    ednaemerson Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I think you look fantastic. Please yourself and consider where it is coming from. Jealousy seems to go in play here. Enjoy your accomplishments. You have earned it.
  • bookworm_847
    bookworm_847 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! You look fantastic.

I don't know what to make of your family's comments. Maybe they're having trouble adjusting to the new you? I'm not justifying their comments because I think you've done a great job, and you most definitely do not look awful.

:flowerforyou:
  • sk2849
    sk2849 Posts: 1
    Options
    I think you look great... I think your family may be used to seeing you with your extra weight on and are having a hard time adjusting. I think if you " maintain your current weight" - while you continue your exercise program your family will become more acceptable. Not all exercise programs are about losing weight... After all I truly believe they are concerned for you - if there is a smidge of envy it can be dealt with in ways other than gaining weight back. Good luck and think positive!
  • dimple_gal
    dimple_gal Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    You don't look EW!, you look Ooooohhh! You look fabulous!

It takes a lot of commitment to make the changes you did, and sometimes family dynamics bring out jealousy; not spending that time with them, feelings of inadequacy, protectiveness, etc. I am sure they care about you and when they see you in person, they will be amazed!

Great job!
  • jessannprice
    jessannprice Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Ummm... I can't believe they're horrified!

You look healthy and fit! Your face is beautiful, not Eww even a little bit!
  • sweetpea03b
    sweetpea03b Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    I think you look great! Do you feel great? Are you lethargic and weak? No? Then who cares what they think :)
  • caseys29
    caseys29 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    You look healthy and beautiful. I'm sorry they're saying such hurtful things to you, but obviously they're just not seeing what everyone else is. Is it possible for people to have body dysmorphic disorder about other people?! I think sometimes people just get used to seeing someone a certain way and it takes time for them to adjust. You look amazing.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!