Cows milk vs almond milk

Options

Replies

• Slacker16
    Slacker16 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    All this talk about whether we are or aren't the only animals that drink the milk of other species has made me wonder to what extent our relationship to cows is comparable to the relationship between (some species of) ants and aphids...

Wish I knew more about these things, any entomologists in the house?
  • sarafischbach9
    sarafischbach9 Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    I like almond milk... I use it to bake and I use it in my cereals as well. I prefer Silk over the other brands.

I still use cow's milk for certain things, like to make puddings. If you are making a pudding for a party ( like how I was for Easter ) it was a big no-no to use almond milk. Didn't work out well.

It's up to you. Personal preference!
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    All this talk about whether we are or aren't the only animals that drink the milk of other species has made me wonder to what extent our relationship to cows is comparable to the relationship between (some species of) ants and aphids...

Wish I knew more about these things, any entomologists in the house?

Well I don't know the actual history but of course it would make sense that a lactose tolerance mutation in humans would be selected for in an early era where animals were starting to be domesticated and the ability to drink milk into adolescence could give a survival advantage.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    The whole pus thing is true, I know milk sold in the USA would be illegal to sell in the UK as it doesn't meet European Standards - it has too high of a pus content.
    There's lots of gross stuff in milk, it's something I'm trying to phase out of my diet entirely.

Question. Isn't pus just dead leukocytes (colloquially called white blood cells)? In which case what is the big deal?

Exactly.
    If only people knew what's in their food they would stop eating all together. Even things that are natural have things that don't just go away with a simple wash. We've been drinking "pus" as you call it for ages and I have yet to hear of anyone having any related health problems.

Seriously, just eat/drink what you like and stop looking into such things. The ick factor won't be there if you're oblivious.
  • BENNYDOOR
    BENNYDOOR Posts: 23
    Options
    I would say cows milk, assuming you are using whole milk from grass fed cows... otherwise its not milk any longer after its been pasteurized and homogenized because they've removed all the healthy bacteria's & nutrients... Also, if its not organic you are consuming hormones & antibiotics so keep that in mind as well.
  • Aaron_K123
    Options
    The whole pus thing is true, I know milk sold in the USA would be illegal to sell in the UK as it doesn't meet European Standards - it has too high of a pus content.
    There's lots of gross stuff in milk, it's something I'm trying to phase out of my diet entirely.

Question. Isn't pus just dead leukocytes (colloquially called white blood cells)? In which case what is the big deal?

Exactly.
    If only people knew what's in their food they would stop eating all together. Even things that are natural have things that don't just go away with a simple wash. We've been drinking "pus" as you call it for ages and I have yet to hear of anyone having any related health problems.

Seriously, just eat/drink what you like and stop looking into such things. The ick factor won't be there if you're oblivious.

If it makes you feel better given the nature of the planets water cycle any water you drink has probably passed through the bowels of millions of creatures on this planet before ever reaching your lips. Enjoy.
  • anaconda469
    anaconda469 Posts: 3,463 Member
    Options
    Animal sources of protein, like cow's milk, have a much better amino acid profile, specifically branched chain amino acids which your body cannot produce and must be consumed, than non animal sources of protein. Branched chained amino acids make up 60% of your skeletal muscle tissue, so it's very important. I get almost all of my protein from animal sources, so I'll go with cow's milk every time.

^this
  • Aaron_K123
    Options
    I fully believe milk has pus in it. Why? Because all milk from animals contains leukocytes, including your own breast milk my fellow humans. What are leukocytes? Well colloquially they are known as white blood cells and are the cell-based branch of our innate immune system. What else are leukocytes? Well, when they die they are called something else...pus.

So yeah....cow milk has pus in it. So does your breast milk.
  • Aaron_K123
    Options
    Animal sources of protein, like cow's milk, have a much better amino acid profile, specifically branched chain amino acids which your body cannot produce and must be consumed, than non animal sources of protein. Branched chained amino acids make up 60% of your skeletal muscle tissue, so it's very important. I get almost all of my protein from animal sources, so I'll go with cow's milk every time.

^this

Ugh. B.S. on skeletal muscle being comprised of 60% branched chain amino acids.

The branched chain amino acids are valine, leucine and isoleucine...there frequency in the proteins of the human body is about 20%. Muscle, including skeletal muscle, is primarily comprised of two proteins...actin and myosin. Any guess as to what the valine, isoleucine and leucine composition of actin and myosin are? Yeah...about 20%.

There is no enrichment of BCAAs that I am aware of in muscle. I've heard this before and all I've found that has supported this is located on bodybuilding forums or marketing pages for BCAA supplementation.

Give me one second to confirm the aa composition of actin and myosin, should be up on the NCBI website.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options

Exactly.

If it makes you feel better given the nature of the planets water cycle any water you drink has probably passed through the bowels of millions of creatures on this planet before ever reaching your lips. Enjoy.

Oh I'm not phased! I know I'm eating various weird animal/bug/rodent parts on a daily basis. As long as it doesn't look like it has legs, is not poisonous and tastes good I don't care.
  • Aaron_K123
    Options
    Yup here we go

BCAA or branched chain amino acids are Isoleucine, leucine and valine. The natural abundance of these amino acids in the body breaks down like this: Valine 6.8%, Isoleucine 3.8%, Leucine 7.6%. So BCAA abundance 18.2%.

Here is a link with citations for that:

http://www.tiem.utk.edu/~gross/bioed/webmodules/aminoacid.htm

Skeletal muscle and all muscle is primarily composed of two proteins, actin and myosin. Citation for that: http://people.eku.edu/ritchisong/301notes3.htm

Here are the primary amino acid sequences for those proteins in homo sapiens

Here is the amino acid sequence for actin:
    MDDDIAALVVDNGSGMCKAGFAGDDAPRAVFPSIVGRPRHQGVMVGMGQKDSYVGDEAQSKRGILTLKYP
    IEHGIVTNWDDMEKIWHHTFYNELRVAPEEHPVLLTEAPLNPKANREKMTQIMFETFNTPAMYVAIQAVL
    SLYASGRTTGIVMDSGDGVTHTVPIYEGYALPHAILRLDLAGRDLTDYLMKILTERGYSFTTTAEREIVR
    DIKEKLCYVALDFEQEMATAASSSSLEKSYELPDGQVITIGNERFRCPEALFQPSFLGMESCGIHETTFN
    SIMKCDVDIRKDLYANTVLSGGTTMYPGIADRMQKEITALAPSTMKIKIIAPPERKYSVWIGGSILASLS
    TFQQMWISKQEYDESGPSIVHRKCF

375 amino acids. 22 valine, 32 isoleucine, 29 leucine. 22% BCA
    Here is the amino acid sequence for myosin:
    MSASSDAEMAVFGERAPYLRKSEKERIEAQNKPFDAKTSVFVAEPKESYVKSTIQSKEGGKVTVKTEGGA
    TLTVREDQVFPMNPPKYDKIEDMAMMTHLHEPGVLYNLKERYAAWMIYTYSGLFCVTVNPYKWLPVYKPE
    VVAAYRGKKRQEAPPHIFSISDNAYQFMLTDRENQSILITGESGAGKTVNTKRVIQYFATIAVTGEKKKD
    ESGKMQGTLEDQIISANPLLEAFGNAKTVRNDNSSRFGKFIRIHFGTTGKLASADIETYLLEKSRVTFQL
    KAERSYHIFYQITSNKKPDLIEMLLITTNPYDYAFVSQGEITVPSIDDQEELMATDSAIDILGFTPEEKV
    SIYKLTGAVMHYGNMKFKQKQREEQAEPDGTEVADKAAYLQSLNSADLLKALCYPRVKVGNEYVTKGQTV
    QQVYNAVGALAKAVYEKMFLWMVTRINQQLDTKQPRQYFIGVLDIAGFEIFDFNSLEQLCINFTNEKLQQ
    FFNHHMFVLEQEEYKKEGIEWTFIDFGMDLAACIELIEKPLGIFSILEEECMFPKATDTSFKNKLYDQHL
    GKSANFQKPKVVKGKAEAHFSLIHYAGTVDYNITGWLDKNKDPLNDTVVGLYQKSAMKTLASLFSTYASA
    EADSSAKKGAKKKGSSFQTVSALFRENLNKLMTNLRSTHPHFVRCIIPNETKTPGAMEHELVLHQLRCNG
    VLEGIRICRKGFPSRILYGDFKQRYKVLNASAIPEGQFIDSKKASEKLLASIDIDHTQYKFGHTKVFFKA
    GLLGLLEEMRDEKLAQIITRTQAVCRGFLMRVEYQKMLQRREALFCIQYNVRAFMNVKHWPWMKLFFKIK
    PLLKSAETEKEMATMKEEFQKTKDELAKSEAKRKELEEKMVTLLKEKNDLQLQVQSEADSLADAEERCEQ
    LIKNKIQLEAKIKEVTERAEEEEEINAELTAKKRKLEDECSELKKDIDDLELTLAKVEKEKHATENKVKN
    LTEEMAGLDETIAKLSKEKKALQETHQQTLDDLQAEEDKVNILTKAKTKLEQQVDDLEGSLEQEKKLRMD
    LERAKRKLEGDLKLAQESTMDMENDKQQLDEKLEKKEFEISNLISKIEDEQAVEIQLQKKIKELQARIEE
    LGEEIEAERASRAKAEKQRSDLSRELEEISERLEEAGGATSAQVELNKKREAEFQKLRRDLEEATLQHEA
    MVAALRKKHADSMAELGEQIDNLQRVKQKLEKEKSELKMETDDLSSNAEAISKAKGNLEKMCRSLEDQVS
    ELKTKEEEQQRLINDLTAQRARLQTEAGEYSRQLDEKDALVSQLSRSKQASTQQIEELKHQLEEETKAKN
    ALAHALQSSRHDCDLLREQYEEEQEGKAELQRALSKANSEVAQWRTKYETDAIQRTEELEEAKKKLAQRL
    QEAEEHVEAVNAKCASLEKTKQRLQNEVEDLMLDVERSNAACAALDKKQRNFDKVLSEWKQKYEETQAEL
    EASQKESRSLSTELFKVKNVYEESLDQLETLRRENKNLQQEISDLTEQIAEGGKQIHELEKIKKQVEQEK
    CEIQAALEEAEASLEHEEGKILRIQLELNQVKSEVDRKIAEKDEEIDQLKRNHTRVVETMQSTLDAEIRS
    RNDALRVKKKMEGDLNEMEIQLNHANRLAAESLRNYRNTQGILKETQLHLDDALRGQEDLKEQLAIVERR
    ANLLQAEIEELWATLEQTERSRKIAEQELLDASERVQLLHTQNTSLINTKKKLENDVSQLQSEVEEVIQE
    SRNAEEKAKKAITDAAMMAEELKKEQDTSAHLERMKKNLEQTVKDLQHRLDEAEQLALKGGKKQIQKLEA
    RVRELEGEVENEQKRNAEAVKGLRKHERRVKELTYQTEEDRKNVLRLQDLVDKLQAKVKSYKRQAEEAEE
    QSNANLSKFRKLQHELEEAEERAHIAESQVNKLRVKSREVHTKISAE

1937aa. 92 valine, 91 I, 202 L. 19.9% BCAA

Here are the citations for those:
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/protein/CAA86293.1
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/protein/NP_001092.1

So the %BCAA composition of these proteins is pretty close to the normal abundance in all proteins, there is no enrichment in the primary proteins that comprise skeletal muscle.

So yeah I call bro-science on 60% of skeletal muscle is BCAA. Sounds like something that a BCAA marketer probably made up and got perpetuated on bodybuilding forums.
  • Aaron_K123
    Options

Exactly.

Oh I'm not phased! I know I'm eating various weird animal/bug/rodent parts on a daily basis. As long as it doesn't look like it has legs, is not poisonous and tastes good I don't care.

Oh I know. I mean honestly I probably have a better idea of what I'm actually eating and what my body is doing it than most and I don't even bother to wash the produce of dirt before I eat it. I really hope this prissiness about what you eat dies soon because imo it does more harm than good. Now if it actually inspired people to educate themselves about it then thats one thing but most just seem to have an "ewww icky" response and leave it at that.

Its so selective as well. Same people who avoid milk because it has "pus" in it then go out and have a beer or yogurt with active bacterial cultures happily pissing acid. By the way that doesn't bother me either because most of your digestive capability is driven by gut flora in the form of bacteria but I'm just saying people get hung up on the wierdest things.
  • iPlatano
    iPlatano Posts: 487 Member
    Options

Exactly.

As well as poisoned water from the power plants. We all enjoy it even vegans lol
  • Aaron_K123
    Options
    I'll admit I assumed incorrectly that almond milk had protein in it because, you know...almonds.

So now that I look it up nutritionally and see that it is mostly carbohydrates...which is a bit odd considering almonds, I have to ask....how much of "almond milk" is actually from almonds and/or how much post-processing is involved?

How do you mulch a food that is pretty much mostly protein and fat (nuts), mix it with water and end up with something that is mostly carbs? I guess you do that then you boil it or something to denature the protein and separate the fat? But then you basically just have sugar water.

I'm confused. What exactly is almond milk? Have to go look this up now.

Alright yeah so they grind up almonds in water...then they strain that out removing much of the protein and fat (you know, what is actually making up almonds) and then they add a lot of sweetener...hence the carbohydrates.

Wierd.

So how is this a substitute for milk? Milk is calorically mostly protein and fat with some carbs, this is calorically mostly carbs with some protein and fat...they seem like nutritional polar opposites.
  • Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    I'll admit I assumed incorrectly that almond milk had protein in it because, you know...almonds.

So now that I look it up nutritionally and see that it is mostly carbohydrates...which is a bit odd considering almonds, I have to ask....how much of "almond milk" is actually from almonds and/or how much post-processing is involved?

How do you mulch a food that is pretty much mostly protein and fat (nuts), mix it with water and end up with something that is mostly carbs? I guess you do that then you boil it or something to denature the protein and separate the fat? But then you basically just have sugar water.

Alright yeah so they grind up almonds in water...then they strain that out removing much of the protein and fat (you know, what is actually making up almonds) and then they add a lot of sweetener...hence the carbohydrates.

Wierd.

So how is this a substitute for milk? Milk is calorically mostly protein and fat with some carbs, this is calorically mostly carbs with some protein and fat...they seem like nutritional polar opposites.

Because someone erroneously labeled it milk and due to that, we now have to compare the two, pretending that one can substitute the other.
  • Slacker16
    Slacker16 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    Actually, unsweetened almond milk is mostly fat, it has about 3gs of fat for each g of protein or carbs. In fact, I think this is why it appeared originally: it was a way to preserve much of the fats in almonds but would keep longer than almonds did.

It started being used as a culinary substitute for milk because it has a similar mouthfeel and can be used to sub milk as a thickener. It also contains some calcium from the almonds so it provided a bit of that too (without any of the issues related to unpasteurized milk).

Being, essentially, fatty water it can easily be fortified with calcium to match the content in milk and can be fortified with vitamin D just like milk is. This is why modern, commercially available almond milk has the same content in micronutrients as milk.

Cliffs :
    it's a substitute as far as micros go, and to a certain extent in cooking, but not for macros.

ETA:
    Because someone erroneously labeled it milk and due to that, we now have to compare the two, pretending that one can substitute the other.
    Well, peanut butter isn't butter but it's still called that... and it's a much more recent product. Fix that labeling mistake first, and then we'll see.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,641 Member
    Options

Wierd.

I find if ironic that the added nutrients to almond milk are heralded ( calcium, vit d, vit A) while they are poopooed by even the Harvard School of Public Health for vit a in milk and added nutrients are poopooed in wheat and cereal products.

I personally am of the opinion that "fortification" is a valuable tool to ensure an adequately nourished population which may not consume "ideal" foods. I just find some things ironic.
  • Aaron_K123
    Options
    Actually, unsweetened almond milk is mostly fat, it has about 3gs of fat for each g of protein or carbs. In fact, I think this is why it appeared originally: it was a way to preserve much of the fats in almonds but would keep longer than almonds did.

It started being used as a culinary substitute for milk because it has a similar mouthfeel and can be used to sub milk as a thickener. It also contains some calcium from the almonds so it provided a bit of that too (without any of the issues related to unpasteurized milk).

Being, essentially, fatty water it can easily be fortified with calcium to match the content in milk and can be fortified with vitamin D just like milk is. This is why modern, commercially available almond milk has the same content in micronutrients as milk.

Cliffs :
    it's a substitute as far as micros go, and to a certain extent in cooking, but not for macros.

ETA:
    Well, peanut butter isn't butter but it's still called that... and it's a much more recent product. Fix that labeling mistake first, and then we'll see.

Yeah okay that makes sense Slacker thank you. I just googled "almond milk nutrition" and the first breakdown I got had a ton of carbs and little protein or fat but it was probably the sweetened variety. Breakdown made it look like a low protein skim chocolate milk.
  • Aaron_K123
    Options

I find if ironic that the added nutrients to almond milk are heralded ( calcium, vit d, vit A) while they are poopooed by even the Harvard School of Public Health for vit a in milk and added nutrients are poopooed in wheat and cereal products.

I personally am of the opinion that "fortification" is a valuable tool to ensure an adequately nourished population which may not consume "ideal" foods. I just find some things ironic.

Agreed. That and the anti-GMO and anti-vaxxers really piss me off.