Why do people get so mean?

Options
14567810»

Replies

• Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,262 Member
    Options
    Op this thread is doing well I would have expected it to be locked by now. I think on this site there are different types of delivery and not all of us are used to them all. I see a lot of sarcasm but generally I think people want to help. I myself don't want anything sugar coated but don't always get why the sarcasm is necessary. Plenty of great responses without the snark on eat train progress and eat more to weigh less groups. If responders are fed up with the same posts time and time again why respond. Also is the op not allowed to pick and chose the advice they receive. Many responders seem to get annoyed when their advice is ignored but in life u can ask for advice and at the end of the day it's up to that person what they choose to do with that info.
  • MizMimi111
    MizMimi111 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I have given up all other forms of entertainment since joining MFP and finding the forums. :drinker:

And to think...all for free!! :tongue: :laugh:
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    The people that are getting called meanies were not mean to me when I was new. They were incredibly nice and helpful. I was very grateful for their help, impressed by their knowledge, and I thought they were very nice. There were even three people that didn't understand that my weight is healthy, it's just low because I have a small frame and they said I was going to die (lol), and the so called "meanies" told them they were wrong. I thought that was very nice. I definitely had a good impression when I was new here. I was lucky those helpful people saw and responded to my questions.
  • Mrsbeale11
    Mrsbeale11 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Gettin' in early, for mean people.

i-like-where-this-thread-is-going-8.jpg

Lol!
  • ggrn955
    ggrn955 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Could not agree with you more. Nicely stated.:)
  • nasaksc
    nasaksc Posts: 16
    Options
    Just remember this about the haters,

I do not care what you think I do not think of you at all.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy, but I see no reason to listen to advice on these matters that is not backed up by science. :huh:
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    So you call people mean that are taking their valuable time to answer the same questions over and over again, that at least half the time the advice given is ignored anyway because the OP is doing everything correctly? These mean people can back up what they say with science and with their personal results.

When you post things like potato salad is bad for you, or why do we bash healthy eating.. maybe you should listen to what's being said and do some research to find out why you getting that reaction. But instead you just want to create yet another they are mean to me thread.

I will say I learned a lot from the mean people on the forums, I stalked the forums watched what the mean successful people were saying, went did my research on it and found wow they were right I could eat good delicious food, didn't have to suffer, should lift weights... They truly helped me and I've taken the time to personally thank some of them, should send them all a thank you but well there's too many.

So all you mean people that took your free time to answer the same things over and over and over again, that the OP ignored, but you continually tried to help .. thanks from a former silent lurker!
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    H̶o̶n̶e̶s̶t̶l̶y̶,̶ ̶I̶ ̶t̶h̶i̶n̶k̶ ̶i̶t̶ ̶i̶s̶ ̶a̶b̶o̶u̶t̶ ̶t̶i̶m̶e̶ ̶M̶F̶P̶ ̶m̶o̶d̶e̶r̶a̶t̶o̶r̶s̶ ̶g̶e̶t̶ ̶m̶o̶r̶e̶ ̶i̶n̶v̶o̶l̶v̶e̶d̶ ̶w̶h̶e̶n̶ ̶p̶e̶o̶p̶l̶e̶ ̶g̶e̶t̶ ̶s̶o̶ ̶m̶e̶a̶n̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶d̶i̶s̶r̶e̶s̶p̶e̶c̶t̶f̶u̶l̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶s̶e̶ ̶p̶o̶s̶t̶s̶.̶ ̶ ̶I̶t̶ ̶i̶s̶ ̶a̶ ̶b̶i̶g̶ ̶t̶u̶r̶n̶ ̶o̶f̶f̶.̶ ̶ ̶Y̶o̶u̶ ̶c̶o̶m̶e̶ ̶f̶o̶r̶ ̶h̶e̶l̶p̶,̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶ ̶c̶o̶m̶e̶ ̶b̶e̶c̶a̶u̶s̶e̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶'̶r̶e̶ ̶s̶c̶a̶r̶e̶d̶ ̶a̶b̶o̶u̶t̶ ̶s̶o̶m̶e̶t̶h̶i̶n̶g̶,̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶ ̶c̶o̶m̶e̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶r̶e̶a̶c̶h̶ ̶o̶u̶t̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶f̶e̶l̶l̶o̶w̶ ̶m̶a̶n̶ ̶(̶o̶r̶ ̶w̶o̶m̶a̶n̶)̶ ̶b̶e̶c̶a̶u̶s̶e̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶ ̶h̶o̶p̶e̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶g̶e̶t̶ ̶s̶o̶m̶e̶ ̶e̶m̶p̶a̶t̶h̶y̶ ̶o̶r̶ ̶h̶e̶l̶p̶ ̶o̶r̶ ̶g̶u̶i̶d̶a̶n̶c̶e̶ ̶o̶r̶ ̶s̶o̶m̶e̶t̶h̶i̶n̶g̶.̶ ̶ ̶W̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶h̶a̶p̶p̶e̶n̶s̶ ̶f̶a̶r̶ ̶t̶o̶o̶ ̶o̶f̶t̶e̶n̶ ̶i̶s̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶ ̶a̶r̶e̶ ̶t̶o̶l̶d̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶'̶r̶e̶ ̶a̶ ̶j̶e̶r̶k̶,̶ ̶o̶r̶ ̶w̶r̶o̶n̶g̶,̶ ̶o̶r̶ ̶s̶t̶u̶p̶i̶d̶,̶ ̶e̶t̶c̶.̶

W̶h̶e̶n̶ ̶h̶a̶v̶e̶ ̶w̶e̶,̶ ̶a̶s̶ ̶a̶ ̶s̶o̶c̶i̶e̶t̶y̶,̶ ̶l̶o̶s̶t̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶a̶b̶i̶l̶i̶t̶y̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶b̶e̶ ̶c̶o̶u̶r̶t̶e̶o̶u̶s̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶f̶e̶l̶l̶o̶w̶ ̶h̶u̶m̶a̶n̶ ̶b̶e̶i̶n̶g̶s̶?̶ ̶ ̶I̶s̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶a̶n̶o̶n̶y̶m̶i̶t̶y̶ ̶i̶n̶h̶e̶r̶e̶n̶t̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶i̶s̶ ̶s̶i̶t̶e̶ ̶a̶ ̶r̶e̶a̶s̶o̶n̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶b̶e̶ ̶s̶o̶ ̶r̶u̶d̶e̶?̶ ̶ ̶Y̶o̶u̶ ̶c̶a̶n̶ ̶d̶i̶s̶a̶g̶r̶e̶e̶ ̶w̶i̶t̶h̶ ̶s̶o̶m̶e̶o̶n̶e̶ ̶w̶i̶t̶h̶o̶u̶t̶ ̶b̶e̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶h̶o̶r̶r̶i̶b̶l̶e̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶d̶i̶s̶r̶e̶s̶p̶e̶c̶t̶f̶u̶l̶ ̶a̶b̶o̶u̶t̶ ̶i̶t̶.̶ ̶ ̶A̶n̶d̶ ̶i̶f̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶ ̶c̶a̶n̶'̶t̶ ̶d̶o̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶t̶,̶ ̶ maybe you should just ignore that particular post that ticks you off so much and move on!

W̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶i̶s̶ ̶s̶o̶ ̶w̶r̶o̶n̶g̶ ̶a̶b̶o̶u̶t̶ ̶a̶n̶e̶c̶d̶o̶t̶a̶l̶ ̶o̶b̶s̶e̶r̶v̶a̶t̶i̶o̶n̶s̶?̶ ̶ ̶S̶o̶ ̶m̶a̶n̶y̶ ̶p̶e̶o̶p̶l̶e̶ ̶w̶a̶n̶t̶ ̶s̶t̶u̶f̶f̶ ̶"̶b̶a̶c̶k̶e̶d̶ ̶u̶p̶ ̶w̶i̶t̶h̶ ̶s̶c̶i̶e̶n̶c̶e̶"̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶s̶c̶o̶f̶f̶ ̶a̶t̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶s̶e̶ ̶o̶n̶e̶-̶o̶f̶f̶ ̶s̶t̶o̶r̶i̶e̶s̶,̶ ̶b̶u̶t̶ ̶s̶o̶m̶e̶t̶i̶m̶e̶s̶,̶ ̶t̶h̶i̶s̶ ̶l̶e̶a̶d̶s̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶s̶c̶i̶e̶n̶t̶i̶f̶i̶c̶ ̶d̶i̶s̶c̶o̶v̶e̶r̶i̶e̶s̶.̶ ̶ ̶T̶h̶e̶s̶e̶ ̶"̶a̶n̶e̶c̶d̶o̶t̶e̶s̶"̶ ̶m̶a̶y̶ ̶b̶e̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶n̶e̶x̶t̶ ̶d̶e̶c̶a̶d̶e̶'̶s̶ ̶"̶s̶c̶i̶e̶n̶c̶e̶"̶!̶ ̶ ̶A̶n̶d̶ ̶e̶v̶e̶n̶ ̶i̶f̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶y̶ ̶a̶r̶e̶ ̶n̶o̶t̶,̶ ̶w̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶h̶a̶r̶m̶ ̶i̶s̶ ̶i̶t̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶p̶o̶l̶i̶t̶e̶l̶y̶ ̶h̶e̶a̶r̶ ̶a̶n̶o̶t̶h̶e̶r̶ ̶p̶e̶r̶s̶o̶n̶'̶s̶ ̶e̶x̶p̶e̶r̶i̶e̶n̶c̶e̶?̶ ̶ ̶Y̶o̶u̶ ̶m̶i̶g̶h̶t̶ ̶a̶c̶t̶u̶a̶l̶l̶y̶ ̶f̶i̶n̶d̶ ̶s̶o̶m̶e̶t̶h̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶h̶e̶l̶p̶f̶u̶l̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶u̶s̶e̶f̶u̶l̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶i̶t̶.̶ ̶ ̶A̶n̶d̶,̶ ̶i̶f̶ ̶n̶o̶t̶,̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶'̶r̶e̶ ̶f̶r̶e̶e̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶i̶g̶n̶o̶r̶e̶ ̶i̶t̶.̶ ̶ ̶N̶o̶ ̶o̶n̶e̶ ̶i̶s̶ ̶t̶w̶i̶s̶t̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶a̶r̶m̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶d̶o̶ ̶a̶n̶y̶t̶h̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶ ̶d̶o̶n̶'̶t̶ ̶f̶e̶e̶l̶ ̶i̶s̶ ̶h̶e̶a̶l̶t̶h̶y̶ ̶o̶r̶ ̶r̶i̶g̶h̶t̶ ̶f̶o̶r̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶.̶

I̶ ̶w̶i̶s̶h̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶p̶e̶o̶p̶l̶e̶ ̶w̶o̶u̶l̶d̶ ̶r̶e̶m̶e̶m̶b̶e̶r̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶"̶G̶o̶l̶d̶e̶n̶ ̶R̶u̶l̶e̶"̶.̶ ̶ ̶T̶r̶e̶a̶t̶ ̶o̶t̶h̶e̶r̶s̶ ̶a̶s̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶ ̶w̶o̶u̶l̶d̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶b̶e̶ ̶t̶r̶e̶a̶t̶e̶d̶.̶

J̶u̶s̶t̶ ̶m̶y̶ ̶t̶h̶o̶u̶g̶h̶t̶.̶ ̶ ̶N̶o̶w̶,̶ ̶I̶ ̶s̶u̶p̶p̶o̶s̶e̶,̶ ̶c̶o̶m̶e̶s̶ ̶m̶o̶r̶e̶ ̶h̶o̶r̶r̶i̶b̶l̶e̶ ̶b̶e̶h̶a̶v̶i̶o̶r̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶w̶e̶,̶ ̶a̶s̶ ̶a̶ ̶s̶p̶e̶c̶i̶e̶s̶,̶ ̶h̶a̶v̶e̶ ̶p̶e̶r̶f̶e̶c̶t̶e̶d̶.̶:̶c̶r̶y̶:̶
    Show how to put lines through posts!!!!!

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
    Mrgrgr. I keep trying things and it's not working. I second that.
    G̶o̶o̶g̶l̶e̶ ̶i̶s̶ ̶a̶w̶e̶s̶o̶m̶e̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶h̶a̶s̶ ̶a̶l̶l̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶a̶n̶s̶w̶e̶r̶s̶
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    So you call people mean that are taking their valuable time to answer the same questions over and over again, that at least half the time the advice given is ignored anyway because the OP is doing everything correctly? These mean people can back up what they say with science and with their personal results.

When you post things like potato salad is bad for you, or why do we bash healthy eating.. maybe you should listen to what's being said and do some research to find out why you getting that reaction. But instead you just want to create yet another they are mean to me thread.

I will say I learned a lot from the mean people on the forums, I stalked the forums watched what the mean successful people were saying, went did my research on it and found wow they were right I could eat good delicious food, didn't have to suffer, should lift weights... They truly helped me and I've taken the time to personally thank some of them, should send them all a thank you but well there's too many.

So all you mean people that took your free time to answer the same things over and over and over again, that the OP ignored, but you continually tried to help .. thanks from a former silent lurker!

Well said! I am happy to help anyone. However, many people are already dead set on doing what they want to do when they ask for " advice" and "opinions." Then they throw a hissy fit when people give them actual advice and opinions. So it is understandable that those pointless threads frustrate and irritate people.
  • shmerek
    shmerek Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    Everyone is entitled to an opinion but one shouldn’t have to respect said opinions especially if they are uniformed and stupid.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,087 Member
    Options
    :tongue: ¡sıɥʇ op uɐɔ ı 'ƃuıɥʇou sı ƃuıʇıɹʍ ɥƃnoɹɥʇ ǝʞıɹʇs
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    H̶o̶n̶e̶s̶t̶l̶y̶,̶ ̶I̶ ̶t̶h̶i̶n̶k̶ ̶i̶t̶ ̶i̶s̶ ̶a̶b̶o̶u̶t̶ ̶t̶i̶m̶e̶ ̶M̶F̶P̶ ̶m̶o̶d̶e̶r̶a̶t̶o̶r̶s̶ ̶g̶e̶t̶ ̶m̶o̶r̶e̶ ̶i̶n̶v̶o̶l̶v̶e̶d̶ ̶w̶h̶e̶n̶ ̶p̶e̶o̶p̶l̶e̶ ̶g̶e̶t̶ ̶s̶o̶ ̶m̶e̶a̶n̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶d̶i̶s̶r̶e̶s̶p̶e̶c̶t̶f̶u̶l̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶s̶e̶ ̶p̶o̶s̶t̶s̶.̶ ̶ ̶I̶t̶ ̶i̶s̶ ̶a̶ ̶b̶i̶g̶ ̶t̶u̶r̶n̶ ̶o̶f̶f̶.̶ ̶ ̶Y̶o̶u̶ ̶c̶o̶m̶e̶ ̶f̶o̶r̶ ̶h̶e̶l̶p̶,̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶ ̶c̶o̶m̶e̶ ̶b̶e̶c̶a̶u̶s̶e̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶'̶r̶e̶ ̶s̶c̶a̶r̶e̶d̶ ̶a̶b̶o̶u̶t̶ ̶s̶o̶m̶e̶t̶h̶i̶n̶g̶,̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶ ̶c̶o̶m̶e̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶r̶e̶a̶c̶h̶ ̶o̶u̶t̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶f̶e̶l̶l̶o̶w̶ ̶m̶a̶n̶ ̶(̶o̶r̶ ̶w̶o̶m̶a̶n̶)̶ ̶b̶e̶c̶a̶u̶s̶e̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶ ̶h̶o̶p̶e̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶g̶e̶t̶ ̶s̶o̶m̶e̶ ̶e̶m̶p̶a̶t̶h̶y̶ ̶o̶r̶ ̶h̶e̶l̶p̶ ̶o̶r̶ ̶g̶u̶i̶d̶a̶n̶c̶e̶ ̶o̶r̶ ̶s̶o̶m̶e̶t̶h̶i̶n̶g̶.̶ ̶ ̶W̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶h̶a̶p̶p̶e̶n̶s̶ ̶f̶a̶r̶ ̶t̶o̶o̶ ̶o̶f̶t̶e̶n̶ ̶i̶s̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶ ̶a̶r̶e̶ ̶t̶o̶l̶d̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶'̶r̶e̶ ̶a̶ ̶j̶e̶r̶k̶,̶ ̶o̶r̶ ̶w̶r̶o̶n̶g̶,̶ ̶o̶r̶ ̶s̶t̶u̶p̶i̶d̶,̶ ̶e̶t̶c̶.̶

W̶h̶e̶n̶ ̶h̶a̶v̶e̶ ̶w̶e̶,̶ ̶a̶s̶ ̶a̶ ̶s̶o̶c̶i̶e̶t̶y̶,̶ ̶l̶o̶s̶t̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶a̶b̶i̶l̶i̶t̶y̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶b̶e̶ ̶c̶o̶u̶r̶t̶e̶o̶u̶s̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶f̶e̶l̶l̶o̶w̶ ̶h̶u̶m̶a̶n̶ ̶b̶e̶i̶n̶g̶s̶?̶ ̶ ̶I̶s̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶a̶n̶o̶n̶y̶m̶i̶t̶y̶ ̶i̶n̶h̶e̶r̶e̶n̶t̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶i̶s̶ ̶s̶i̶t̶e̶ ̶a̶ ̶r̶e̶a̶s̶o̶n̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶b̶e̶ ̶s̶o̶ ̶r̶u̶d̶e̶?̶ ̶ ̶Y̶o̶u̶ ̶c̶a̶n̶ ̶d̶i̶s̶a̶g̶r̶e̶e̶ ̶w̶i̶t̶h̶ ̶s̶o̶m̶e̶o̶n̶e̶ ̶w̶i̶t̶h̶o̶u̶t̶ ̶b̶e̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶h̶o̶r̶r̶i̶b̶l̶e̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶d̶i̶s̶r̶e̶s̶p̶e̶c̶t̶f̶u̶l̶ ̶a̶b̶o̶u̶t̶ ̶i̶t̶.̶ ̶ ̶A̶n̶d̶ ̶i̶f̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶ ̶c̶a̶n̶'̶t̶ ̶d̶o̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶t̶,̶ ̶ maybe you should just ignore that particular post that ticks you off so much and move on!

W̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶i̶s̶ ̶s̶o̶ ̶w̶r̶o̶n̶g̶ ̶a̶b̶o̶u̶t̶ ̶a̶n̶e̶c̶d̶o̶t̶a̶l̶ ̶o̶b̶s̶e̶r̶v̶a̶t̶i̶o̶n̶s̶?̶ ̶ ̶S̶o̶ ̶m̶a̶n̶y̶ ̶p̶e̶o̶p̶l̶e̶ ̶w̶a̶n̶t̶ ̶s̶t̶u̶f̶f̶ ̶"̶b̶a̶c̶k̶e̶d̶ ̶u̶p̶ ̶w̶i̶t̶h̶ ̶s̶c̶i̶e̶n̶c̶e̶"̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶s̶c̶o̶f̶f̶ ̶a̶t̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶s̶e̶ ̶o̶n̶e̶-̶o̶f̶f̶ ̶s̶t̶o̶r̶i̶e̶s̶,̶ ̶b̶u̶t̶ ̶s̶o̶m̶e̶t̶i̶m̶e̶s̶,̶ ̶t̶h̶i̶s̶ ̶l̶e̶a̶d̶s̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶s̶c̶i̶e̶n̶t̶i̶f̶i̶c̶ ̶d̶i̶s̶c̶o̶v̶e̶r̶i̶e̶s̶.̶ ̶ ̶T̶h̶e̶s̶e̶ ̶"̶a̶n̶e̶c̶d̶o̶t̶e̶s̶"̶ ̶m̶a̶y̶ ̶b̶e̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶n̶e̶x̶t̶ ̶d̶e̶c̶a̶d̶e̶'̶s̶ ̶"̶s̶c̶i̶e̶n̶c̶e̶"̶!̶ ̶ ̶A̶n̶d̶ ̶e̶v̶e̶n̶ ̶i̶f̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶y̶ ̶a̶r̶e̶ ̶n̶o̶t̶,̶ ̶w̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶h̶a̶r̶m̶ ̶i̶s̶ ̶i̶t̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶p̶o̶l̶i̶t̶e̶l̶y̶ ̶h̶e̶a̶r̶ ̶a̶n̶o̶t̶h̶e̶r̶ ̶p̶e̶r̶s̶o̶n̶'̶s̶ ̶e̶x̶p̶e̶r̶i̶e̶n̶c̶e̶?̶ ̶ ̶Y̶o̶u̶ ̶m̶i̶g̶h̶t̶ ̶a̶c̶t̶u̶a̶l̶l̶y̶ ̶f̶i̶n̶d̶ ̶s̶o̶m̶e̶t̶h̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶h̶e̶l̶p̶f̶u̶l̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶u̶s̶e̶f̶u̶l̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶i̶t̶.̶ ̶ ̶A̶n̶d̶,̶ ̶i̶f̶ ̶n̶o̶t̶,̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶'̶r̶e̶ ̶f̶r̶e̶e̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶i̶g̶n̶o̶r̶e̶ ̶i̶t̶.̶ ̶ ̶N̶o̶ ̶o̶n̶e̶ ̶i̶s̶ ̶t̶w̶i̶s̶t̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶a̶r̶m̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶d̶o̶ ̶a̶n̶y̶t̶h̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶ ̶d̶o̶n̶'̶t̶ ̶f̶e̶e̶l̶ ̶i̶s̶ ̶h̶e̶a̶l̶t̶h̶y̶ ̶o̶r̶ ̶r̶i̶g̶h̶t̶ ̶f̶o̶r̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶.̶

I̶ ̶w̶i̶s̶h̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶p̶e̶o̶p̶l̶e̶ ̶w̶o̶u̶l̶d̶ ̶r̶e̶m̶e̶m̶b̶e̶r̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶"̶G̶o̶l̶d̶e̶n̶ ̶R̶u̶l̶e̶"̶.̶ ̶ ̶T̶r̶e̶a̶t̶ ̶o̶t̶h̶e̶r̶s̶ ̶a̶s̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶ ̶w̶o̶u̶l̶d̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶b̶e̶ ̶t̶r̶e̶a̶t̶e̶d̶.̶

J̶u̶s̶t̶ ̶m̶y̶ ̶t̶h̶o̶u̶g̶h̶t̶.̶ ̶ ̶N̶o̶w̶,̶ ̶I̶ ̶s̶u̶p̶p̶o̶s̶e̶,̶ ̶c̶o̶m̶e̶s̶ ̶m̶o̶r̶e̶ ̶h̶o̶r̶r̶i̶b̶l̶e̶ ̶b̶e̶h̶a̶v̶i̶o̶r̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶w̶e̶,̶ ̶a̶s̶ ̶a̶ ̶s̶p̶e̶c̶i̶e̶s̶,̶ ̶h̶a̶v̶e̶ ̶p̶e̶r̶f̶e̶c̶t̶e̶d̶.̶:̶c̶r̶y̶:̶
    Show how to put lines through posts!!!!!

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
    Mrgrgr. I keep trying things and it's not working. I second that.
    G̶o̶o̶g̶l̶e̶ ̶i̶s̶ ̶a̶w̶e̶s̶o̶m̶e̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶h̶a̶s̶ ̶a̶l̶l̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶a̶n̶s̶w̶e̶r̶s̶
    It wont work....:sad:
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    <strike>How about now?</strike>

Edit: here ya go:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/883485-strikethrough
  • Noogynoogs
    Noogynoogs Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    Most people are adult enough to be able to deal with criticism, no matter how mean it is. Sometimes if it "hits a nerve". There was probably some truth in it. I usually extract the beneficial advice, no matter how it is put and use it to my advantage or disregard the the advice which will be detrimental to me.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    The moderators deal with people who are truly mean. Consistently. (Interestingly enough, this very thread will likely become a casualty of the heavily-moderated environment that is the MFP forums.)

What you are calling "mean" sounds more like a difference of opinions. They generally won't deal with that...nor should they.

I'm more interested to know when we as a society lost our ability to have a disagreement with people without being called names for it.

I think it was around the time that Homo erectus evolved the ability to use simple spoken language, and so verbal banter replaced chest beating and stick waving as a way to assert ones dominance in the troop. That's put humans in a position whereby someone disagreeing with you is perceived to be challenging your position in the troop, and therefore as a mild form of hostility. Cue arguments, fights and in the digital age, flame wars.

https://cavepeopleandstuff.wordpress.com/2013/08/13/why-cant-humans-just-disagree-nicely/

w̶o̶a̶h̶ ̶t̶h̶i̶s̶ ̶s̶t̶r̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶t̶h̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶i̶s̶ ̶r̶e̶a̶l̶l̶y̶ ̶c̶o̶o̶l̶!̶ <-- hope that works!
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    OP: telling someone that they're wrong isn't being mean. It's telling the truth (even if the person themselves is wrong, they think they're right and they think they're telling the truth)......... generally telling someone that they're wrong is motivated by the desire to stop them making mistakes that are going to store up trouble for them further down the line. The idea that you should pat everyone on the head and say "well done!" or "that's great you do that!" even when they're doing something stupid and dangerous maybe sounds lovely, but the reality is you end up enabling people in behaviours that cause them harm. And that's not a good thing to be happening.

If someone actually calls someone else stupid, then you can report the post and let the mods deal with it. Calling someone names is against the community guidelines. However, it's important to understand the difference between "you are stupid" and "what you're suggesting is a stupid thing to do" - in the first instance, the person is being called stupid, it's namecalling and not acceptable. In the second instance, the idea/thing being done is being called stupid... that's not namecalling and in most cases on this forum, when someone says something's a stupid idea, it's usually because it *is* a stupid idea. And while I can see the benefit in being less blunt and trying to be tactful.... sometimes there's no nice way to tell someone that what they're planning on doing is stupid and dangerous. But if it was someone you loved that was doing something stupid and dangerous, you'd want someone to warn them, right? Well that's all people are doing with that....
  • ChaplainHeavin
    ChaplainHeavin Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I think you answer your own question "maybe you should just ignore that particular post that ticks you off so much and move on! ".

Haters will always hate, just say ****em and go on with life. Anyone can get their panties in a bunch over anything at any particular time, don't take it personal. Find the positive people and stick to them and let the negative people suck themselves all down to the bottom.

The scripture you quoted (Matthew 7:12, which I have to remind myself daily as well as Psalm 19:12-14) and the advice of the man I quoted seems to be sound wisdom. I have found that it is best for me to meditate daily on those two Scriptures and be concerned with how I treat others more than how others treat me. In other words, "be kind to people on purpose regardless of how they treat you (that lesson I learned from a little girl dying of leukemia who had lost her hair during chemo. The boys at school would make fun of her bald head. She said, "Do you know what I do when those mean boys make fun of my bald head? I'm nice to them on purpose
    Matthew 7:12. If she can do it, so can I).
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Dear Posters,

I wanted to offer a brief explanation for the locking of this thread.

The forum guidelines include this item:

2. No Hi-Jacking, Trolling, or Flame-baiting

Please stay on-topic within a forum topic. Off-topic or derogatory remarks are disrespectful. Please either contribute politely and constructively to a topic, or move on without posting.This includes posts that encourage the drama in a topic to escalate, or posts intended to incite an uproar from the community.

In many cases we are able to edit out the posts that violate this guideline, but unfortunately this particular thread has become too volatile to moderate efficiently.

If you would like to review the forum guidelines, please visit the following link:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/welcome/guidelines

At our discretion, this locked thread may be deleted entirely in the near future.

With respect,

CyberEd312

MFP Moderator
This discussion has been closed.