Best Marriage Advice

Options

Replies

• Pipsg1rl
    Pipsg1rl Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    Make a commitment: There are times I am going to screw up and there are times you are going to drive me nuts, but I love you and I am in this for the long haul. Compromise and bring her coffee for no reason.

One important thing I found: 28 years of marriage.... Find her love language. There are 5 and if you find out what her language (How she feels love) is and keep her love tank filled. For a few years, I would buy her gifts and she would just say "That's nice" and I found out she feels love by me, getting her car washed, emptying the dishwasher, taking her car for maintenance (Service) make sure every day she gets coffee.

Time spent
    Service
    Touch
    Words of affirmation
    Gifts
    Find out your mates language and you got have got it made. Dr. Gary Chapman... 5 Love Languages.

I seriously recommend this at least twice a week, and have given away multiple copies of this book!!

(I'm gifts, he's quality time. We are total opposites).
  • tlcarolinagirl
    tlcarolinagirl Posts: 1,700 Member
    Options
    Stay off MFP...just sayin'
  • fitfabforties
    fitfabforties Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    DON'T GET MARRIED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • sugarkissprincess
    sugarkissprincess Posts: 2,595 Member
    Options
    Don't get married
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    Kiss her.........every single day.........and learn how to forgive
    ^^^This one!
    Never get bitter toward your spouse. Cardinal rule.
  • Shan_Lindsay
    Shan_Lindsay Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Continue to date your spouse!
    Lots of great sex
    Take interest in their hobbies and interests
    Support them
    Encourage them
    Listen
  • jennifermcornett
    jennifermcornett Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    "Never let your husband leave the house with an empty stomach and full balls".

Terribly sexist. But the person who said it has been happily married for 35 years...

Me gusta.
  • dawnna76
    dawnna76 Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    Sex, lots of sex. It's a great way to connect with your partner despite the world around. Especially sexy after kids!

Another is always make your spouse a priority. Again especially after kids! A lot of ok moms have kids and they become the number one and only, that husband was there first and you can not forget that!
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Well this made a well timed comeback...
  • sadiebrawl
    sadiebrawl Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    No expectations. Want something? Do it yourself.
  • sadiebrawl
    sadiebrawl Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    The other day I woke up in the morning, long after my partner had gone to work in the dark hours of the day. I put on a cup of coffee and went to weigh myself (as is my routine) and my scale wouldn't work. The digital display was glowing a bit, but it couldn't read it, so I flipped on the bathroom light to see what was going on

the display had been covered up by a piece of paper that read "PERFECT" (my profile picture now).

I'm definitely PMSing, this made me nearly cry.
    That is the cutest ****ing thing ever!
  • knot_enough
    knot_enough Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    cheat
  • Noogynoogs
    Noogynoogs Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    When you see the church run past like hell lol
  • PinkPanther318
    PinkPanther318 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    My best marriage advice is don't do it! Also never again if you have been married and divorced.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    Don't get married. Adopt a cat instead.
  • BurntCoffee
    BurntCoffee Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Never ever ever stop dating your spouse.
    Sexual intimacy is not optional.
    Live within your means. Know for sure what kind of lifestyle you can afford. Stay out of debt.
    For me, it was essential that I marry a man that actively shared my faith.

And my granny and papa told me on their 65th anniversary that the secret to a long and happy marriage is "You take the good with the bad because in the end the good outweighs the bad." I think they are probably right. They were the most loving couple I've ever known.
  • PinkPanther318
    PinkPanther318 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I agree 100% with everyone on here who said don't do it :D
  • wolfie640
    wolfie640 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    No idea but I get on better with my ex wife now more than I ever did when we were married!!

On a more serious note......listening , talking and not taking each other for granted.