Giving your body no choice but to burn fat daily

Options

Replies

• rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

4. Cardio

I hate cardio more than anything! but no one can deny it's fat burning abilities. Adding some cardio a few times a week will also promote extra fat burning, but will not burn fat daily unless performed daily. It is not needed to see results, but will add to the results. If you have a hot tub, try at least sitting in that as often as possible for some light cardio.
    This just passed the mini-trampoline as my favoritest MFP miracle exercise EVAH!!!
    Bro... Do you even tub?
    I like the mini trampoline. It is sorta fun to work out my legs a little, but to me a light leg workout is a 10 mile bike ride on a fixie or a leg pressing well beyond my body weight. I guess it might be on par with crunches or something... but sure doesn't make the workout a workout.
    The post in question made some very outrageous claims about results from nothing more than 30 minutes a day on a mini trampoline.
  • ken_m
    ken_m Posts: 128
    Options
    Hello to the original poster! I think your great and would like to hear more about your weight loss goals, please shoot me a private message!

I have a hot tub that I recently had cleaned and if you'd be interested in teaming up for some cardio, we can help each other become fitter healthier people
  • lindsey1979
    lindsey1979 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    This is what I have done to turn myself into a fat burning machine!

1. Nutrition.

Thank you for sharing what is working for you. I, myself, appreciate anyone who is willing to share their insight into what has helped them get healthier. Good luck on the rest of your journey. God bless.

This is exactly what we didn't want to see happen.

Why? I appreciate the fact that she shared, though I disagree with many of her assertions.

It's just a shame when threads like this go sideways so quickly because it does discourage and shut down meaningful discourse that actually could be helpful or it gets swamped by gifs, insults and mockery.

Encouraging people with incorrect actions for healthy weight loss is bad. Hey, cabbage diet, yea that's good, thanks for telling me that it was a good idea for me to do that. Bit extreme example but essentially what folks here are trying to cull out.
    I for one appreciate it.
    We know everything on the web is true. The preceding statement is false.

But some are doing it in horribly ineffective, counterproductive ways. You can vehemently disagree with someone and still do so in a respectful way.
  • negator5543
    negator5543 Posts: 36
    Options
    I wonder if anyone here could actually articulate why they care so much if a post is filled with incorrect information?
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options

1. Nutrition.

Thank you for sharing what is working for you. I, myself, appreciate anyone who is willing to share their insight into what has helped them get healthier. Good luck on the rest of your journey. God bless.

Why? I appreciate the fact that she shared, though I disagree with many of her assertions.

It's just a shame when threads like this go sideways so quickly because it does discourage and shut down meaningful discourse that actually could be helpful or it gets swamped by gifs, insults and mockery.

Encouraging people with incorrect actions for healthy weight loss is bad. Hey, cabbage diet, yea that's good, thanks for telling me that it was a good idea for me to do that. Bit extreme example but essentially what folks here are trying to cull out.
    I for one appreciate it.

But some are doing it in horribly ineffective, counterproductive ways. You can vehemently disagree with someone and still do so in a respectful way.

And what way would that be? Asking for scientific evidence to support your claims?

Didn't see any of that happening.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    And we're off.....

Starvation mode
    Meat consumption leads to diseases
    Fruit should only be a snack in the morning
    Lower fat intake
    Cardio burns fat but only if done daily
    Build muscles in deficit

I appreciate you efforts, but pass.

Thanks for the cliffs notes. You wanna meet behind the bleachers so I can show you my training bra?
  • lindsey1979
    Options

1. Nutrition.

It went sideways because OP started insulting people who were trying to correct her misinformation. There is no way to have meaningful discourse with a person who doesn't know how to actually debate or cite sources for their assertions.

I don't believe that's accurate. She definitely came back with guns blazing, but I do not believe she was the first to start with the insults, riducule or mockery. That was evident in the very few replies.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options

1. Nutrition.

I for one appreciate it.

Respect is earned, not doled out as a consolation prize.
  • sathor
    sathor Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    It's medically proven we ingest too much protein in our diets and it has lead to some awful diseases, but at the very least it contains animal fat.

What? Okay where to even begin.

3. What "awful diseases" does protein intake lead to? Name one.

http://www.daveywaveyfitness.com/nutrition/8-side-effects-of-too-much-protein Now, to be fair, I only know 1 person who had side effects, and that is my Father-in-law, who is already a hypochondriac (Sp?) and has little to no muscle mass, and drinks LOTS of protein. His exercise is 100% cardio and 10% effort, if you catch my drift. Seriously though, you almost have to be trying to overdo it. I mean, you can OD on water if you try hard enough.
  • Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options

1. Nutrition.

EXACTLY! NOWHERE in my post did I agree or disagree with anything said. I just didn't feel the need to be disrespectful and rude. Instead, I offered thanks to the OP for sharing her insight and wish her luck on her journey. There's better ways to handle yourself then to call people names and offer tasteless insults. I think we are all here for the same thing...to get healthy? She's gotten 41 pounds healthier than she was when she joined and for that, I commend her.

Not refuting bad information is ultimately disrespectful to people who don't know any better. If everyone had just said, "Thanks for sharing" and nothing else, someone might have believed that drivel and tried to implement it, thus making them less healthy and knowledgeable in the long run. They would then spread that same misinformation and soon the whole world is just a little bit dumber for it.

It isn't disrespectful to tell someone they are wrong. It's actually very respectful. Taking the time to fix someone's knowledge base is a good thing, not a bad thing.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    *forehead slap* It's proven we only need 8 grams of protein a day which is in 2 tablespoons of peanut butter. But I'm not arguing with ignorance... it only proves to be mind numbingly annoying.

da *kitten*? :noway: :huh:

Hijo de su....I. Can't. EEEEEEEEVEEEEEEEENNNN!!!!
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    How am I seeing results, consistent results to my findings if it's all bull****?

Simple. You have consistently ate at a deficit for a given period of time.

But I feel better than ever...

Well who could argue with that kind of scientific evidence?

Why would you argue my personal experience?

Why would any of you bother to read this or post if its all hokey? Was it your goal to make me feel terrible?

You posted bogus information.

You considered sitting in a hot tub cardio

You commented about adaptive thermogenesis

You told us we only needed 8 grams of protein per day

Then the evidence you supplied was how great you feel and how it works for you.

Then you called us all "retards" which is incredibly offensive.

Then you BLAME US FOR MAKING YOU FEEL TERRIBLE.

What in the world did you expect?

You have severely misunderstood how weight loss works.

I was waiting for someone to put it into simple terms for her.
  • Allelito
    Allelito Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Just read through most of this thread..

tumblr_m1vknqkfDX1qeyt27o1_500.gif
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    I wonder if anyone here could actually articulate why they care so much if a post is filled with incorrect information?

It has already been expressed...

To prevent the spread of misinformation to somebody who is new searching the boards for solid advice.
  • PayneAS
    PayneAS Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    There's really no proof that starvation mode exist.

This may have been mentioned already but I haven't gotten that far. There was actually at least one very famous starvation experiment conducted right here in the U.S. I'll just link the wiki for ease but you should check it out the pictures of the people during the experiment.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minnesota_Starvation_Experiment

Which, if you read the study, demonstrates that the highest adaptive thermogenic response your body will EVER get (like with true starvation over 24 weeks) is 40%. Also adaptive thermogenesis at absolutely no point results in retention of fat, its just a slowing of the metabolism to compensate at least in part for exceedingly low caloric intake. "Starvation mode" as it is propogated on these forums is still a myth. Adaptive thermogenesis is a real thing but its not going to play a major role in the weight loss of anyone who is just dieting.

Oh I know it's a myth. I was more responding to her saying that there was no proof (whether it did or not). I guess I should have made that more clear. There is proof that starvation mode (as perpetuated here on a diet forum) does not exist. True starvation is a real thing and can slow the metabolism but won't likely apply to anyone here.
  • Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    A hot tub "works" the cardiovascular system in that it'll cause vasodilation and increased heart rate. But that doesn't make it exercise or good for your heart.

Cocaine causes vasodilation and increases the heart rate too. I guess it can be counted as cardio too! Oh, wait. That's probably not good for your hear either. Damn.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options

Because every new person on here reads it and takes it to heart. The first year I started here I ate way less than I should have been eating because of what I read in the forums. Finally, I found EatMore2WeighLess and had the chance to wise up.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    There's really no proof that starvation mode exist.

This may have been mentioned already but I haven't gotten that far. There was actually at least one very famous starvation experiment conducted right here in the U.S. I'll just link the wiki for ease but you should check it out the pictures of the people during the experiment.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minnesota_Starvation_Experiment

Which, if you read the study, demonstrates that the highest adaptive thermogenic response your body will EVER get (like with true starvation over 24 weeks) is 40%. Also adaptive thermogenesis at absolutely no point results in retention of fat, its just a slowing of the metabolism to compensate at least in part for exceedingly low caloric intake. "Starvation mode" as it is propogated on these forums is still a myth. Adaptive thermogenesis is a real thing but its not going to play a major role in the weight loss of anyone who is just dieting.

Oh I know it's a myth. I was more responding to her saying that there was no proof (whether it did or not). I guess I should have made that more clear. There is proof that starvation mode (as perpetuated here on a diet forum) does not exist. True starvation is a real thing and can slow the metabolism but won't likely apply to anyone here.

Ah okay agreed :-)
  • lindsey1979
    Options
    But doesn't that sort of defeat the purpose? To tell someone that they're being disrespectful by being disrespectful yourself (not you personally, but in general)? It seems to me that such people lose all credibility. And there was some mockery and ridicule right off the bat, even if it was lighter than what followed.

I don't see a whole lot disrespect here on par with calling people a retard. I see the usual suspects demanding scientific evidence to support her claims.

Perhaps that's the issue. Some people don't realize that their posts come off in a mocking, insulting way and then are shocked when someone acted defensive.

I'm not justifying the OP's response or her use of certain phrases/words, but it's not like it came out of nowhere because of respectful disagreement. The first reply was a starry bra pic -- do you think that was respectful disagreement? And then it was followed up by posts talking about he *kitten* storm and mocking some of her assertions. C'mon...you can't pretend that's not there, even if it's on the lighter side.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Long story short--- With my intent to be helpful and the results was being trashed and abused, I have really lost all concern for this thread. I have heard nothing but insults instead if actual criticism. I will not make the mistake of trying to be helpful on this forum again. Thank you for this awful lesson that couldn't of been performed in a more childish way. You guys are absolutely amazing and I'm sure with the lives you lead you perform this act daily. Enjoy this amongst yourselves at the cost of someone else's well being. And thank you for being a part of the worlds problem. :)

Also, I had to delete you from my friends list...sorry Bye.gif
This discussion has been closed.