Giving your body no choice but to burn fat daily

Options

Replies

• k_nicole87
    k_nicole87 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    No I don't ...if I read this and changed my macros to 8grams of protein per day, how would that change anything for you?

It just seems like ALOT of energy was spent on something with no real gains.(the info is so bad that sooo many people already knew all the corrections so what crisis were we averting here?)
    I'm not seeing the correlation between stopping bad information and "caring" about others.

I care about my mother, I'm not going to go correct "heroine is awesome" posts on a message board because she might read it and believe it.

You really don't see the point of disputing/disproving complete misinformation in a forum that some/many look to for guidance in weight loss?
    it wouldn't change anything for us but you would be doing damage to yourself. how can you not see how us correcting her would benefit other people potentially reading her post and taking her advice?

why do you care if someone takes her advice? You some kind of crusader or something?

Wait wait wait. So you'll go to bat for OP but not for the countless members who could do damage to themselves from taking crappy advice? Makes sense.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    No I don't ...if I read this and changed my macros to 8grams of protein per day, how would that change anything for you?

It just seems like ALOT of energy was spent on something with no real gains.(the info is so bad that sooo many people already knew all the corrections so what crisis were we averting here?)
    I'm not seeing the correlation between stopping bad information and "caring" about others.

I care about my mother, I'm not going to go correct "heroine is awesome" posts on a message board because she might read it and believe it.

You really don't see the point of disputing/disproving complete misinformation in a forum that some/many look to for guidance in weight loss?
    it wouldn't change anything for us but you would be doing damage to yourself. how can you not see how us correcting her would benefit other people potentially reading her post and taking her advice?

why do you care if someone takes her advice? You some kind of crusader or something?

Because empathy? Because humanity? Because I'm not a sociopath?
  • lindsey1979
    lindsey1979 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    The information she is giving is not accurate in any way shape or form.

Its only viewed as helpful by the inept.

This information should be ridiculed so that the inept can see the error in her ways.

Sitting in a sauna/whirlpool is cardio? GTFO.

Well, I hope that whenever you are incorrect about anything in life, that you are openly mocked. Really? That's the solution? Wow.
  • jchenks
    jchenks Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    8 g of protein a day....... hahahaha I live on protein. I love that ****.
  • uconnwinsnc
    uconnwinsnc Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    So many people here have been miserable about their weight for a long time that they absolutely go nuts over a chance to bully somebody else. The sarcasm level in this thread is asinine. :laugh:

what a helpful post from someone who seems to have it all figured out.

There is a difference between making a legitimate argument against someones ideas and just throwing out sarcastic remarks and giggling like a damn maniac. I read all the posts in this thread using the voices of the hyenas from the Lion King and it is hilarious. :laugh:
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options

Encouraging people with incorrect actions for healthy weight loss is bad. Hey, cabbage diet, yea that's good, thanks for telling me that it was a good idea for me to do that. Bit extreme example but essentially what folks here are trying to cull out.
    I for one appreciate it.
    We know everything on the web is true. The preceding statement is false.

But some are doing it in horribly ineffective, counterproductive ways. You can vehemently disagree with someone and still do so in a respectful way.

And what way would that be? Asking for scientific evidence to support your claims?

Didn't see any of that happening.

Nope, that's great. But just do so in a respectful way without all the unnecessary mockery, ridicule and general nastiness.

If a 10 year-old gets his math homework wrong, do you point and laugh and tell him how ridiculous he is? Is that going to encourage him to learn?

If your point is to educate that specific 10 year old and coddle their ego then you are absolutely correct you would not use ridicule. If, however, that 10 year old stepped up to a podium and tried to instruct everyone within earshot in a public forum how to do math and proceeded to do it wrong then the quickest way to fix the damage that might cause to the naive in the audience the fastest way to that is mockery. In that case you aren't try to educate the person who was arrogant enough to stand up and proclaim their unresearched misinformed opinion as the ultimate truth you are instead trying to project as fast as possible to the reader that what the presenter is saying is worthy of ridicule.

I have no interest in coddling or stroking the ego of a 32 year old woman who would post such ridiculous notions and then get so defensive as to start insulting people who ask her to back up her claims.

Do you really think being respectful = coddling? I'd hope that no teachers of children mock, ridicule or be nasty and then feel that it's justified because they're correct about the facts in dispute.

I don't know in what world you live in where the quickest way to correct a wrong is through mockery. Anyone that has the emotional maturity of more than a 12 year-old would be incredibly put off by someone that uses such means -- in fact, many would think less of the person doing the mocking. People are encouraged to take the high road for a reason.

Being respectful to someone who said something not worthy of respect is coddling yes. Its putting on a sweet smile and treating someone like a child because you assume them to be delicate and easily hurt. It is patronizing.

Again, the intent is not to appease the person propagating the information so I cannot really care if they are "incredibly put off", in fact that is part of the point...to remove them. Why would you try to protect someone peddling misinformation?
  • lindsey1979
    Options
    Sure, she went all in rather quickly, but it doesn't negate the original point. Some folks had respectful replies illustrating their disagreement. Others went right for the sarcasm, ridicule and mockery. If you actually want to educate people, encourage meaningful exchanges and minimize the spread of misinformation, the latter isn't going to get it done. The content of the message will be completely lost in the delivery.

Do people really interact like this in their real lives? I just have a hard time imagining that as I think they'd have very few friends, not keep a job and probably get into a good amount of fist fights.

First of all, let me explain a little something to you called the internet. This is a highly social environment away from the niceties of every day life. Thank you for speaking out that someone who does not sugar coat things to perfect strangers must not have a job or friends. I, for one, have a highly formal job where I must keep up a professional appearance at all times. On the internet, I am free to share and express my views in any way I wish and I enjoy being quite a forthright person. If you want to boil down a person who has no name or identity other than an avatar and a screen name, how about you? I would say that, judging by your posts and nothing else, you've been picked on quite a bit. Hence your urgency to defend someone like OP while disregarding the fact that any member with a disabled loved one would be highly hurt by the use of the R word. I'm guessing you are not likely to have many friends and are desperately seeking the approval of others like you, ie: OP who has essentially been outcast from this forum.

The point is that anywhere (such as the internet) where you have a MASS of people from all types of backgrounds, opinions, and behavioral sets (people from different regions handle things differently), you are bound to have a hodge-podge of differing views, most will not be expressed the way you choose to express yours.

I should really save this.

Wow. Thank you for illustrating my point. Well done.

I didn't know that requesting common courtesy and respectful discourse was such a huge thing. They are essentially written into the forum rules, you know.

As for the r-word, I'm pretty ambivalent about it. I think it's the evolution of language, much like dumb and lame are generally accepted descriptors now though they originate from similar origins as the r-word. However, I realize in polite society, some are offended by its use, so I don't use it out of common courtesy.

I'd like common courtesy so I don't have to comb through 14 pages of junk to find the 2 pages of meaningful posts. I'd like to get rid of the disrespectful commentary because (1) it shuts down meaningful exchanges, (2) discourages many from posting at all (and this is a real shame) and (3) makes it more difficult to actually find the good posts.

Hey honey, you don't HAVE to read 14 pages of the "junk". Just like you don't HAVE to respond. Just like you don't HAVE to boil down the personalities of 100 strangers based on their preferred method of internet conversation. Yet you did.

Thank you, Nicole, for making that clear. Before I was unaware of this fact. Good thing you're here to set me straight.
  • sathor
    sathor Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    How is sitting in a hot tub considered cardio? :huh:

i'm glad i'm not the only one who caught this.

I want to meet the person who sits in a hot tub for 60 minutes for the express purpose of burning 50 calories.

I think its safe to say that the only cardio happening in a hot tub is sex. :wink: :laugh: Now with that being said, who wants do some cardio? :drinker:

Sex in a hot tub in no bueno but for the sanitation of the tub and for biological reasons.
    If it is your own private one and well maintained... better than a chlorine treated pool...

But it's mainly a no no for the biological reasons, ie comfort. Water is not a lubricant.

Meh. I'd try just about anything once. Might not admit to it later, but try it...
  • thriftdiving
    thriftdiving Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    22156.png

Love that! LOL
  • Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options

Encouraging people with incorrect actions for healthy weight loss is bad. Hey, cabbage diet, yea that's good, thanks for telling me that it was a good idea for me to do that. Bit extreme example but essentially what folks here are trying to cull out.
    I for one appreciate it.

But some are doing it in horribly ineffective, counterproductive ways. You can vehemently disagree with someone and still do so in a respectful way.

And what way would that be? Asking for scientific evidence to support your claims?

Nope, that's great. But just do so in a respectful way without all the unnecessary mockery, ridicule and general nastiness.

If a 10 year-old gets his math homework wrong, do you point and laugh and tell him how ridiculous he is? Is that going to encourage him to learn?

He's ten and not 30. Also, if one of my nephews, say the 12 year old came to me and told me a fact that I knew wasn't fact, I would tell him to prove it. I've done it before. He tried but failed. It was a good learning experience.

But would you mock, ridicule or otherwise be nasty? Or say it was fine for someone else to do the same -- after all, he was wrong.

Can people really not understand the difference?

What you saw as mockery toward the OP was not. It was mockery for the idea. At no point before the OP started calling names and acting out like she did, did anyone insult HER. If you can't see the difference between mocking an idea and mocking a person, then you aren't going to benefit from any of the answers people have given you in this thread. It will be a philosophical difference and you can't argue those.

Kid example revisited: If my 12 year old nephew brought me a math problem that was 2+2 and his answer was >9000, it would say something to the effect of, "that's WAY off." It would be slight mockery to the answer but not to him. People are WAY too sensitive these days and take everything far more personally than they do.
  • sseqwnp
    sseqwnp Posts: 327 Member
    Options

Wait wait wait. So you'll go to bat for OP but not for the countless members who could do damage to themselves from taking crappy advice? Makes sense.

I'm not going to bat for anyone.
  • lindsey1979
    Options

I for one appreciate it.

He's ten and not 30. Also, if one of my nephews, say the 12 year old came to me and told me a fact that I knew wasn't fact, I would tell him to prove it. I've done it before. He tried but failed. It was a good learning experience.

But would you mock, ridicule or otherwise be nasty? Or say it was fine for someone else to do the same -- after all, he was wrong.

Can people really not understand the difference?
    we're treating her the same way she treated us.

plus y'know

its the internet after all

Right, so if you can be a jerk, you should be? Is that the logic?
  • _KitKat_
    _KitKat_ Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    There's really no proof that starvation mode exist. Most research that I've seen reveals a very small change in metabolism when following a VLCD - not saying it's a good idea, but just saying I haven't bought into starvation mode as an actual thing. I may over simplify it, but I've never seen an over weight starving person. Skinnyfat? yes, but not over weight. If your body is going to hold on to fat and calories, I think it would need more than what a VLCD contains. A lot of binge/purge eaters are over weight for this reason - their body has something to reach and hold on to, while starvation diets don't do well to provide that. That's just my opinion, and just from what I've seen.

When someone isn't losing and they are told to eat more I see two things happening; 1) they give up, because of the initial gain 2) or they being to lose, but it seems that with increased cals, comes increased activity, because folks just try harder when their not doing well, some do anyway.

That doesn't go to say that lower carb, high protein diets are bad or that you can't eat more on them - your body just reacts differently, which comes to the point that not all calories are the same.

You're right, there are a lot of peeps here or are troll masters!
    It's the worst support community on any site I've seen - I just stick to my personal friends on here for advice and discussion.

Thank you for your real response... I will look into that

I am sorry OP but there is a lot of great info here and ^^^^^this is NOT it^^^^^ . You are new and have had great results congrats, but people here see these threads daily, then we have someone else posting on "why they are not losing" because they listened to a thread like this that got no correction. I am not trying to be a monster...the word calorie means a unit of energy, energy never stops and just changes. Our body uses energy (calories) to function, if we ingest too much energy we convert it to fat to save for a rainy day (the whole hunter gather thing). If we burn more energy than we ingested we have to tap into our rainy day fund(fat). So a calorie or unit of energy is just a calorie a unit of energy. Some macros have more calories so are calorie dense...its the whole which weighs more a ton of feathers or a ton of bricks...they weigh the same they are both a ton.

Instead of only picking out the 1-3 pieces in all of these pages that you think support your opinion (that is what it is, an opinion), try the majority, there are many knowledgeable people here that are more than willing to help.
  • Quasita
    Quasita Posts: 1,530 Member
    Options
    I will admit one frustration with this sort of response that is common in the forums.

Idiotic advice that makes no sense gets 200 responses and leaps to the top of the forum. Good advice that makes sense and is helpful generally gets like 4 responses and after just 45 minutes of "HELP!!! I'm NOT LOSING WEIGHT on 1200 calories a day" posts that useful information posts falls off the bottom of the page. Can be frustrating to know I'm probably missing out on the most useful posts because of this.

I totally feel you! The other thing that frustrates me is that I'll take the time to write a good, well-thought out response with ample information and sources, and the thread ends up being erased and all the good information goes with it.
  • Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options

You don't care about the welfare of others. Understood. Other people do. Question answered.
  • sseqwnp
    sseqwnp Posts: 327 Member
    Options

heh. so solve a real problem, not the issue of "oh noes, some overindulgent first world moron might not eat enough protein"
  • negator5543
    negator5543 Posts: 36
    Options
    Would it be fair of me to assume that the general consensus seems to be that the information provided by the OP was so horrendously bad that taking it seriously could really adversely effect that health and well being of others...

And in agreeing with that also agree that the harm that could be caused by such information is to a degree serious enough to warrant a massive response?

And if we can all agree on that couldn't we agree that it would be pretty horrible for the person who follows that advice? Horrible enough that you vehemently wouldn't wish the outcomes of such a plan on another person?
  • sathor
    sathor Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Also my friend who is in medical school showed me in one of his medical books that a hot tub (being that it's hot) will work the cardiovascular system
    Working the cardio system in itself does not make it exercise, and if it did, that would make watching horror movies and porn cardio as well... though there may be *some* slight cardio with the latter. (And sometimes cardio following the former.)

You had me at horror movies and porn

I think my friend list is going to be a helluva lot more fun after today.
  • lindsey1979
    Options

Really? Because that seems to conflict with some of your comments earlier about how mockery can be the most effective way of correcting someone. That doesn't seem very compassionate or empathetic and much more in line with sociopathic behavior.
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,068 Member
    Options

the whole f*cking point to these forums is to help yourself and others. you must be beyond stupid to miss that. still think im a crusader?
This discussion has been closed.