KATIE COURIC'S PERILS OF FOOD POLICS

Options

Replies

• perseverance14
    perseverance14 Posts: 1,364 Member
    Options
    Not a fan, not interested in what she has to say...sorry.

I felt bad for her when her husband died of cancer, that was really sad.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

You mean like fat?

Except demonizing fat isn't trendy anymore, of course.

Because Fat is NOT fattening per se ...... TOO much fat is (true for carbs, sugars.. etc.. etc....)

Nothing is fattening until eaten in excess, of course. I eat tons of fat (Something like 70-80 grams a day, and I think I've hit over 100 grams on occasion.)

I'm just saying fat is just as easy, if not easier, to over consume as sugar.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    i think the mfp community doesnt realize that for us, sugar may not be "bad" because we count calories and account for it in our daily totals, whereas someone who doesnt count calories doesnt necessarily know what is going into their bodies calorie wise, so a bit of sugar can make a large difference for them. this i believe is the main reason for the demonizing of sugar, if producers and institutions (schools ect.) cut back on the sugar output then I'm sure we would see a decrease in obesity rates.

though i definitely agree moderation should be the emphasis of any nutritional based documentary

This applies to everything. A bit of fat can make a huge difference. A bit of protein can make a difference. Excess carbs will make a difference.

I can easily take down a 10-12ounce steak and if I did that constantly I'd put on weight and yet I don't see documentaries about how steak is making me a fatass. (Or at least not one people take seriously. :indifferent: )
    i definitely agree, its just sugar is so easy to hide in almost anything without being noticed by the average person, and the fact that it can be addicting makes it easy to over consume

Yeah mean like fat?
    fat is necessary for us and has nutritional value, sugar does very little for us in a positive manner

Agreed with this statement.

I'm not suggesting that people eliminate sugar totally from their diet - just if they did there would be no negative impact on their health and depending on the quantity they were eliminating from, there could be significant positive affects on their health.

If somebody has already limited there intake of sugar then cutting it out totally would probably not give them much of a positive benefit to make it worth while.

Most of the well respected nutritionist do suggest limiting an dietary intake of sugar, surely we all agree on that one.
  • LC458
    LC458 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

I'm not suggesting that people eliminate sugar totally from their diet - just if they did there would be no negative impact on their health and depending on the quantity they were eliminating from, there could be significant positive affects on their health.

If somebody has already limited there intake of sugar then cutting it out totally would probably not give them much of a positive benefit to make it worth while.

Most of the well respected nutritionist do suggest limiting an dietary intake of sugar, surely we all agree on that one.
    [/quote]

+1
  • LC458
    LC458 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Edit: tried to quote the guy above me, didn't work
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,068 Member
    Options
    i think the mfp community doesnt realize that for us, sugar may not be "bad" because we count calories and account for it in our daily totals, whereas someone who doesnt count calories doesnt necessarily know what is going into their bodies calorie wise, so a bit of sugar can make a large difference for them. this i believe is the main reason for the demonizing of sugar, if producers and institutions (schools ect.) cut back on the sugar output then I'm sure we would see a decrease in obesity rates.

though i definitely agree moderation should be the emphasis of any nutritional based documentary

This applies to everything. A bit of fat can make a huge difference. A bit of protein can make a difference. Excess carbs will make a difference.

I can easily take down a 10-12ounce steak and if I did that constantly I'd put on weight and yet I don't see documentaries about how steak is making me a fatass. (Or at least not one people take seriously. :indifferent: )
    i definitely agree, its just sugar is so easy to hide in almost anything without being noticed by the average person, and the fact that it can be addicting makes it easy to over consume

Yeah mean like fat?
    fat is necessary for us and has nutritional value, sugar does very little for us in a positive manner

Agreed with this statement.

thank you, this was the point i was trying to get across
  • Achrya
    Options

Yeah mean like fat?

That means it's not easy to hide in everything, isn't easy to over consume, and isn't so damn tasty that people add it to everything? Or are you just throwing out other stuff to take away from the fact that what you said about sugar also applies to fats?
    what i said about sugar applies to everything. but you dont see producers adding in fats to their products, they add sugar

:huh:

Are you serious? Fast food (the only thing more demonized than sugar these days) isn't laden with fat? It's sugar adding all those calories to my burgers and fries? Is it sugar adding calories to my chips? Fat isn't just as predominate in baked goods and treats as sugar? Fried food isn't eaten to excess just like cookies and candy?
  • perseverance14
    perseverance14 Posts: 1,364 Member
    Options
    Although I didn't watch the video, I don't see why you should eliminate sugar unless you have blood sugar or yeast issues. Why would you need to?
  • BigT555
    Options

Yeah mean like fat?

That means it's not easy to hide in everything, isn't easy to over consume, and isn't so damn tasty that people add it to everything? Or are you just throwing out other stuff to take away from the fact that what you said about sugar also applies to fats?
    what i said about sugar applies to everything. but you dont see producers adding in fats to their products, they add sugar

Are you serious? Fast food (the only thing more demonized than sugar these days) isn't laden with fat? It's sugar adding all those calories to my burgers and fries? Is it sugar adding calories to my chips? Fat isn't just as predominate in baked goods and treats as sugar? Fried food isn't eaten to excess just like cookies and candy?
    those fats are present from the frying process of those foods, mcdonalds doesnt just inject lard into their burgers, in fact most fast producers are trying hard to reduce the amount of fats in their foods, the same cannot be said about most candy producers
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options

Yeah mean like fat?

Well, except for the simple fact that one can't survive without sugars of some sort. Gluconeogenesis, it's a thing.
  • Achrya
    Options

Yeah mean like fat?

those fats are present from the frying process of those foods, mcdonalds doesnt just inject lard into their burgers, in fact most fast producers are trying hard to reduce the amount of fats in their foods, the same cannot be said about most candy producers

So the difference is that while fat is added it's added because that's what it takes to make those products (frying process) sugar is added to candy...to make those products?

Alright then.
  • BigT555
    Options

Yeah mean like fat?

Well, except for the simple fact that one can't survive without sugars of some sort. Gluconeogenesis, it's a thing.
    i agree, we're talking about added sugar from cane here. you can get all you need from other sources
  • MissMissle
    MissMissle Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    IMO - just watched the trailer and I like it.

A. its a "documentary", the only way to get a good portion of people to actualyl WATCH something is by using scare tactics (see "any news station" for an example)

B: I'll generalize here and say that a good portion of people who are obese have no idea how they got that way, and they might need to be "scared" a little to make a change... it's a learning process, change is the first step, they will learn more and more about truths as they go (just like all of us on here ;) )

C. I, personally, think sugar is addictive, if you look up the definition of addictive - IMO

D. The trailer I watched opened to discuss that a good amount of foods have "added sugar" - I didn't feel it was attacking sugar AT ALL, but more attacking the goverment for "adding sugar' where its not necessary - I totally, 100% agree - the government does a lot of F-ed up *kitten* to get us to consume, Im not a a parent, but if I was, I think I would feel ashamed if the only way I could get my kid to drink milk was by adding nestle strawberry syrup to it.... sugar is good, sugar is great, kids can have sugar - but theres something to be said when it becomes NECESSARY to add it to foods just to get kids to eat it.... again, IMO

E. I hate, hate, hate, Monsanto and wish I knew a lot less about what's happening to our seeds than I do - these two items are unrelated, but, I like to think that this news documentary is just setting a table to get people talking about bigger issues... I mean thay have to start somewhere - why not sugar - its something everyone, regarless of "class" can relate to and everyone can afford... if that makes sence, it does in my head, not to go all conspiracy theory, but i hope Im on to something here...
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    No need to get all upset. My opinion on a message board in reply to your opinion on a message board are no reasons to feel like I'm jumping on you. My point exactly, up in arms when it's simply your choice what you put into your body and it's simply my choice what goes into mine. I apologize if you feel I put words into your mouth, I honestly felt that was what you were getting at. Anyways I'm not the only one who thinks all the extra sugar in the American diet is not good-

Not upset at all.

But I refuse to sit by while random people imply I said something I didn't.

If I was getting at it I would have stated it in black and white...I don't talk code.

no you aren't the only one but doesn't mean you are all right either, just like excess fat was the reason in the 80's, then excess carbs (ie white bread/rice)

Proof is in the results of people who count calories...the reason for obesity in the world not just the US is excess calories...which can come from anywhere...not just sugar.

Ok that's fine you can totally ignore the study I quoted.

Agree to disagree.

I didn't ignore it just the snip you chose to post as it was only part of it...I was reading the study.
    ....Food is not ordinarily like a substance of abuse, but intermittent bingeing and deprivation changes that. Based on the observed behavioral and neurochemical similarities between the effects of intermittent sugar access and drugs of abuse, we suggest that sugar, as common as it is, nonetheless meets the criteria for a substance of abuse and may be “addictive” for some individuals when consumed in a “binge-like” manner.

the conclusion sheds more light on it
    From an evolutionary perspective, it is in the best interest of humans to have an inherent desire for food for survival. However, this desire may go awry, and certain people, including some obese and bulimic patients in particular, may develop an unhealthy dependence on palatable food that interferes with well-being. The concept of “food addiction” materialized in the diet industry on the basis of subjective reports, clinical accounts and case studies described in self-help books. The rise in obesity, coupled with the emergence of scientific findings of parallels between drugs of abuse and palatable foods has given credibility to this idea. The reviewed evidence supports the theory that, in some circumstances, intermittent access to sugar can lead to behavior and neurochemical changes that resemble the effects of a substance of abuse. According to the evidence in rats, intermittent access to sugar and chow is capable of producing a “dependency”. This was operationally defined by tests for bingeing, withdrawal, craving and cross-sensitization to amphetamine and alcohol. The correspondence to some people with binge eating disorder or bulimia is striking, but whether or not it is a good idea to call this a “food addiction” in people is both a scientific and societal question that has yet to be answered. What this review demonstrates is that rats with intermittent access to food and a sugar solution can show both a constellation of behaviors and parallel brain changes that are characteristic of rats that voluntarily self-administer addictive drugs. In the aggregrate, this is evidence that sugar can be addictive.

This is the conclusion which to me basically indicates that sugar is not evil but given certian predisposition to addiction a certian rats may react to it differently...given the chance to binge on sugar...then withdraw it from them completely...

how about they try moderation in the next study and see if the rats behave the same...

but even in the study conclusion they do not say humans get addicted to sugar...the quote is "unhealthy dependence"
  • Achrya
    Options

Yeah mean like fat?

You're right. Most candy producers are not trying to limit the amount of sugar in their products.

In other news the sun came up this morning.

It's candy! It's made from sugar! You're not supposed to live on it and then say, "Hey! What do you mean this isn't healthy?"

Well now we're back to personal responsibility and we all know how that ends up.

"Sugar is addicting, I can't stop myself!"

"So stop eating it."

"But other people should limit it too!"

"Why?"

"Because it's bad for you!"

"In excess."

"But it's addicting so people can't stop! Those damn companies add it to everything!"

"I'm fine with sugar, actually."

"NO!"
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options

Yeah mean like fat?

You can certainly survive without dietary sugar - in fact you can survive without dietary carbs of any source. It's may not be optimal but its certainly possible.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options

Yeah mean like fat?

i agree, we're talking about added sugar from cane here. you can get all you need from other sources

Ah, so cane sugar is the culprit?
    There goes my rum.

So sugar DOES have nutritional value except when it comes from cane. OK.
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options

Yeah mean like fat?

So the difference is that while fat is added it's added because that's what it takes to make those products (frying process) sugar is added to candy...to make those products?

Alright then.
    Kevin-Butler-Mind-Blown.gif
  • BigT555
    Options

Yeah mean like fat?

Alright then.
    you can make candy without sugar... you cant make french fries without the grease (at least not practically in a fast food restaurant)

this argument is getting a little redundant, most of what ive said applies to fast food as well, as ive said before.