Cow's milk is bad?

Options

Replies

• likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Recently I stopped drinking cow's milk, first I ditched full cream because it was too 'heavy' and then just gave it up completely in favour of almond milk. IMHO, milk was designed to make a 100 kg calf into a 1000 kg cow. Not good for us! Also, there's that myth about pus and blood. I know it's not true but it gets me every time... ugh.

I like almond milk in my coffee and sub it out to save calories in some dessert recipes. Milk isn't bad for you though, although that's a popular MFP myth people like to spout on here. In fact I sure your trolling right now with your op. Raw milk has excellent health benefits and most people who are lactose intolerant have no problems drinking raw milk. Most of the benefits of milk are lost in the pasteurization process. That's why calves often don't survive when fed pasteurized milk. I'm sure someone will chime in in how bad it is for you momentarily....

Eh. I fed my kids raw human milk and frozen human milk. Many of the benefits were lost during the freezing process, but I wouldn't say most. However, raw milk is an effective topical antibiotic (anti-viral agent as well)

my-brain-just-went-what-the-hell.gif

That's actually true. Human breastmilk is awesome like that, I've used it many times on my own kids for conjunctivitis when they were babies.

Good on minor infections, like cat scratches. Usually they get really irritated and sore for a coupla days when I get them. I rubbed a little of my own breast milk on one once--BAM. Gone the next day.

Really? One of mine was gone in hours. My boobies are better than your boobies!
  • aldenxnedla
    aldenxnedla Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Good points made about bok choy and raw milk. Thanks :)
  • likitisplit
    Options

That, and snarkiness, is what we're all about!
  • cpdiminish
    cpdiminish Posts: 84
    Options
    If you're really interested in understanding human's relationship to milk, here is an interesting article about the evolution of dairy consumption.

http://www.nature.com/news/archaeology-the-milk-revolution-1.13471

Things to note - different types of dairy are more digestible than others, only a percentage of the population retains the ability to digest milk after childhood due to a gene mutation, and dairy products have been quite important for human survival during times of famine.

I personally have no difficulty digesting milk so I won't get all up in other people's faces about whether or not it is "right" to consume it. That said, aside from butter, very little dairy makes its way into my cooking. And when I do buy milk, I often choose goat over cow simply because goats have a MUCH smaller carbon footprint.
  • futurejedi
    futurejedi Posts: 111
    Options
    can i still suck on nipples? that is the real question
  • jason_adams
    jason_adams Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    . I realized I have been brain washed by the dairy industry. Many people in rural China and other countries do not drink milk at all. They seem just fine. We don't "need" cows milk.

BUT THEY EAT A LOT OF WHITE RICE!!!! White rice makes you fat. Everyone says so, and, my friend, he ate a lot of white rice when he was an university, and he... put on weight!!!

But he also drank a little milk now and then.

Maybe white rice only makes you fat when you also drink milk? Because, in rural china, I don't think there are a lot of fat people.......
  • rawmilkmike
    Options
    Milk and honey are the only articles of diet whose sole function in nature is food.

60% of American adults can not tolerate dairy products(what we call lactose intolerant) but only a very few Americans are lactose malabsorbers and most of them are not lactose intolerant. That is why most lactose intolerant people have no problem drinking raw milk and why all this talk about genes is nonsense. Also if you're allergic, switching to raw milk cured my hay fever and food allergies. It also cured my wife's cat allergy.

None of the studies showing the ill effects of milk were done on raw milk and there are many studies that show the ill effects of pasteurization and homogenization on the nutritional level of fresh milk.

If you look closely at the numbers and talk to some of the 10 million raw milk consumers you will actually find that raw milk has a negative risk factor. People who don't drink raw milk are 9 times more likely to contract a so called foodborne illness than people that do.
  • Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    When I stopped consuming all dairy, my debilitating migraines went away. I tried consuming dairy again, the migraines came back. I did this several times to be sure. I finally gave up milk permanently, I have not had migraines since. (Full disclosure, I have been a vegetarian for several years, so I guess now that makes me a vegan)
    My friend had a disgusting pimply rash all over his chest, he gave up dairy completely, and the rash went away. He also went back on dairy and the rash came back, so then he went off dairy again, and the rash went away.
    These are 100% true stories.

I have been weaned from my own mothers breast now for many years, why should I suck on the breast of another species, it just doesn't make sense. I realized I have been brain washed by the dairy industry. Many people in rural China and other countries do not drink milk at all. They seem just fine. We don't "need" cows milk.

We don't "need" donuts.

We don't "need" peaches.

We don't "need" peanut butter.

I don't know about other people but I would be devastated if people stopped eating peaches all together.
  • mike_ny
    mike_ny Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Organic whole milk is fine. It's also delicious. I grew up with only skim or 1% milk in the house and never liked milk much at all until I finally tried whole milk.

Non-organic milk can contain bovine growth hormone, pesticides, and residue from antibiotics. Since it's probably not pasture raised, the omega 6 to omega 3 ratios aren't optimal. This is one of the instances where the organic version does make a big difference.

The other problem is that the fat in milk is a good thing in that it helps buffer the sugar to prevent insulin spikes. It may not taste sweet, but milk has quite a bit of sugars in it. I think the fat may also help absorption of protein along with fat soluble nutrients that obviously get removed with the fat. Saturated fat is finally being vindicated of being the villain in our diets. Saturated fat is very stable and provides a great nutritious fuel source and as long as you burn all of your daily calories, there's no excess in your bloodstream anyway.

Whole milk is around 4% fat, so drinking 2% milk denies you of the benefits and taste with minimal caloric reduction. 1% and skim milk taste like water and shouldn't even be called milk in my book.

Milk is however, not a great calcium source which many people consume it for. The dairy association pushes it for that, but there's a big difference between what nutrients may be in a food and how much of that is bio available. You do get some, but it's not absorbed that well for humans. Much better calcium sources are dark greens, sea vegetables, and veggies in general.

If you decide on almond or soy milk as an alternative, beware of the extremely high sugar content in most of the brands and be sure to factor that into your decision. I'd rather have the fat since essential fats are nutrients my body needs and sugar is well, just empty calories.

Btw, you should try full fat organic yogurts. That's what yogurt is supposed to taste like instead of like instant pudding. I love the full fat plain Greek yogurt that Cabot makes with 10% milk fat. It's as thick as sour cream and I go through a couple 2 lb containers a week.

Please follow up with scientifically backed up sources that prove organic milk is better and why and prove that all almond and soy have a high sugar content (not all are sweetened). Also show how full fat organic yogurt is better.

Make your own yogurt, it's much better than any store bought organic brand.

Organic milk doesn't contain pesticides. Regardless of whether BGH or antibiotics given to animals are a concern to you or if you prefer grass versus feed, lack of pesticides alone makes it better. Pesticides are nerve toxins which I don't like having in my food even in very small amounts. Whether it's worth it to you is your decision.

I specifically stated that MOST brands of almond and soy milk had high sugar content. All of them don't and unsweetened ones certainly don't, but what I see most people putting in their shopping carts when I'm out shopping are the sweetened vanilla ones which are loaded with sugar. People should read the labels and be aware that what some companies sell as healthy options sometimes push the limits. Caveat emptor.

I agree that homemade yogurt is better. Homemade anything is usually better. I probably should make my own. I did do it many years back, but the convenience of it ready made isn't bad especially when I can buy from a socially responsible company that buys from local farmers who follow sustainable practices. I guess that's a reason organic yogurt is better to me, because it tends to come from local family farms and not big factory farms.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    When I stopped consuming all dairy, my debilitating migraines went away. I tried consuming dairy again, the migraines came back. I did this several times to be sure. I finally gave up milk permanently, I have not had migraines since. (Full disclosure, I have been a vegetarian for several years, so I guess now that makes me a vegan)
    My friend had a disgusting pimply rash all over his chest, he gave up dairy completely, and the rash went away. He also went back on dairy and the rash came back, so then he went off dairy again, and the rash went away.

I have been weaned from my own mothers breast now for many years, why should I suck on the breast of another species, it just doesn't make sense. I realized I have been brain washed by the dairy industry. Many people in rural China and other countries do not drink milk at all. They seem just fine. We don't "need" cows milk.

We don't "need" donuts.

We don't "need" peaches.

I don't know about other people but I would be devastated if people stopped eating peaches all together.

Is there any food that somebody doesn't have an intolerance for?
  • amwbox
    amwbox Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    Leafy greens turn a 16lb gorilla into a 500lb gorilla. I better stop eating salad.

:D Nailed it.

Also...cows milk gets baby cows on their feet. Vegetable matter is what turns them into gigantic beasts.
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    "IMHO, milk was designed to make a 100 kg calf into a 1000 kg cow. Not good for us! "

That's 2200+ pounds. Dear God. And a 2200 pound cow most certainly would not still be breastfeeding. If they are, I would hate to see the size of the mothers.

PS cows eat grass.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Organic milk doesn't contain pesticides.
    I don't think that pesticide use or content is part of any organic milk standard.
  • Jewlz280
    Jewlz280 Posts: 547 Member
    Options

We don't "need" donuts.

We don't "need" peaches.

I NEED all of those. My belly says so.
  • aldenxnedla
    aldenxnedla Posts: 26 Member
    Options

Did I sound like I was being snarky? That was a sincere comment...
  • misdreagus
    misdreagus Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I could never ever go back to drinking a cow's milk. Soy and almond milk is way nicer and is good for both the poor cows and you!
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    If you're really interested in understanding human's relationship to milk, here is an interesting article about the evolution of dairy consumption.

http://www.nature.com/news/archaeology-the-milk-revolution-1.13471

Things to note - different types of dairy are more digestible than others, only a percentage of the population retains the ability to digest milk after childhood due to a gene mutation, and dairy products have been quite important for human survival during times of famine.

I personally have no difficulty digesting milk so I won't get all up in other people's faces about whether or not it is "right" to consume it. That said, aside from butter, very little dairy makes its way into my cooking. And when I do buy milk, I often choose goat over cow simply because goats have a MUCH smaller carbon footprint.

I do get in people's faces on this site about dairy, because I'm sick of how many people are being told that milk's harmful to all humans, unnatural etc, when it's not. Granted that not everyone can drink it, depending on whether or not they possess the lactase persistence gene, but the scaremongering of what is a perfectly safe and nutritious food for many people IMO is causing more harm than good.

Personally, I eat quite a lot of dairy. I have eaten dairy free in the past, but I actually feel a lot more healthy for including dairy products in my diet. I include naturally probiotic dairy, such as yoghurt and laban (Arabic dairy product). My genetic origin is from the British Isles, and Britain has a long history of dairy farming. Of course people who can't tolerate dairy shouldn't consume it.... my issue is with people who try to claim that no humans at all should be consuming dairy, regardless of any other factors, or those that claim it's harmful to people who can digest it just fine.
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    Good, more milk for me. :D
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options

Did I sound like I was being snarky? That was a sincere comment...

I believe the poster who wrote "snarkiness" was describing herself in a tongue in cheek manner. She is mean because she provides advice when asked about things she knows. This is indicative of "mean" people on MFP. Yes, more TIC.....next caller....
  • shawmutt
    shawmutt Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Ok I'll bite. I'm an adult male lion, where do I get my milk if I want some? Whole Foods or Publix?

From the milk sacs of herbivore victims.