Food prices that piss you off

Options

Replies

• brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    I have Celiac Disease. I'm on a strict Gluten-Free and Lactose Free diet. Gluten Free foods are VERY EXPENSIVE. I pay $5.79 for a small loaf of Udi's bread and $5.19 for Betty Crocker Gluten Free brownie mix
    these are some examples. I get very frustrated and angry with these unbelievable prices
    I say its discrimination!

It's similar to gas prices
    we have no control over it. :grumble:

It's not discrimination. Specialty items are always more expensive.
  • angf0679
    angf0679 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I am hoping this summer that the local strawberries are cheaper then they were last year. Two of the largest strawberry farmers had to destroy huge portions of their crops last year due to a virus and it drove up the cost as a result. I know it's going to take a few years for them to recover so I think the desire for lower prices this year for the local crops (local crops taste 1000 times better then the imported ones!) is just wishful thinking.
  • swaggityswagbag
    swaggityswagbag Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    It's very frustrating that vegetables in general are expensive, when you can get things like potato chips and other junk food for so cheap.
    Potatoes are cheap. Damn cheap. 5 lbs for $4-5 often. A family size bag of chips is like 1 potato cut up.

Potatoes are also mostly starch. When I say veggies, I mean things like spinach, lettuce, asparagus, bell peppers.
  • qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    Asparagus.
    Apricots.
    Cherries.
    Quest Bars.
  • Praying_Mantis
    Praying_Mantis Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Bacon
    Honeycrisp apples

Exactly! And fresh salmon, as others have posted.

ETA: Quinoa. Yikes. Love it, but pricey.
  • onefortyone
    onefortyone Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Apples went up (from .88/lb to 1.30/lb) :(

We hardly have steak because it's so expensive, but sometimes instead of going out and spending $40-60 on a fancy meal we'll buy some decent steak and have it with whatever sides we fancy - we can track the calories much easier, it's cheaper than eating out, and let's us get our steak on.

Bacon is ridiculous - we try to stock up on it when we have coupons for it, and usually get it at $1-2 dollars a pack, but this week we didn't have a coupon and so we had to pay $4 for one pack! :(

I love asparagus and so I'll still buy it even though it's 2.50/lb. Spinach is also pretty darned expensive, but lasts a while if you put only a handful in your salad.

Overall, I've already made peace with the fact that a lot of things are too high priced for me to have often on our budget - fresh OJ, fancy meats and cheeses, boxed foods like crackers and granola bars, etc.
  • ksuh999
    ksuh999 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    It's very frustrating that vegetables in general are expensive, when you can get things like potato chips and other junk food for so cheap.
    Potatoes are cheap. Damn cheap. 5 lbs for $4-5 often. A family size bag of chips is like 1 potato cut up.

Potatoes are also mostly starch. When I say veggies, I mean things like spinach, lettuce, asparagus, bell peppers.
    Yes... I'm agreeing with you... I'm explaining why potato chips are so cheap.
  • Sbrn_
    Sbrn_ Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Fish.
    Why is fish so goddamn expensive! :explode:
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    This is a huge pet peeve of mine! I don't like the tap water here, so I buy water bottles... the cheapest per quart are the 16oz bottles... WHY???? I go through 3-4 a day, it adds a lot of recycling, but I end up spending twice as much if I want the 1 liter bottles... and the gallon bottles are not exactly handy to keep on my desk and have a sip from.

It's DUMB.
    Can't you just fill smaller bottles from the gallon bottle?
  • Rosie_McA
    Rosie_McA Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Bottled Water lol

I buy Ice Mountain bottled water ( 16.9 oz ) at my local Sam's Club, 35 bottles for a little over 4.00 a case...
    I buy a bottle of Badoit sparkling water then fill it up when empty repeatedly from the water cooler at work. Sad maybe, cheaper certainly.
  • SomeNights246
    SomeNights246 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    PB2. I'm addicted to it. But $5 seems a lot to pay for peanut butter. :(
  • LividMuffin
    LividMuffin Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Not sure about the situation in the US but here in London all the meat substitutes are so expensive! I have been vegetarian for 14 years but since I'm tracking my macros and my student budget is very limited I had to start eating chicken every now and then to get the protein in and not going bankrupt. It's against all my beliefs and principles but the desire to achieve my goal is stronger..
  • SomeNights246
    SomeNights246 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    This is a huge pet peeve of mine! I don't like the tap water here, so I buy water bottles... the cheapest per quart are the 16oz bottles... WHY???? I go through 3-4 a day, it adds a lot of recycling, but I end up spending twice as much if I want the 1 liter bottles... and the gallon bottles are not exactly handy to keep on my desk and have a sip from.

It's DUMB.

Or like, buy those reusable cups/bottles and fill them from the gallon? That won't waste as many bottles, either.
  • Majda_
    Majda_ Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    In my country, all healthy food, if you find any, are expensive since they are imported. I pay around 7$ for 1L of Almond Milk I find that ridiculous !
  • MissBabyJane
    MissBabyJane Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    In my country, all healthy food, if you find any, are expensive since they are imported. I pay around 7$ for 1L of Almond Milk I find that ridiculous !

Yes, I live in Europe and healthy foods are so expensive! OUCH.
  • xxsophster
    xxsophster Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Walking into Morissons and seeing jaffa cakes 50p a box, penguin chocolate bars £1 for 12 instead of 9, cadbury big bags of chocolates NOW ONLY £1!! Arghhhh!!!!! Why cant they do offers like these on fruit and veg?!?! No wounder the majority of the population is obese! :explode:
  • marshallexi
    marshallexi Posts: 162 Member
    Options

Yes, I live in Europe and healthy foods are so expensive! OUCH.

Nut milks have only just started being reasonably priced in the UK over the last year. When I first discovered my dairy allergy in 2011 I was paying £3 ($5+) for a litre of the stuff. I couldn't afford a dairy allergy!

Thankfully, now they've taken off and dairy-free alternatives are available everywhere for half the price or less. It can just take time.
  • dammitjanet0161
    dammitjanet0161 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Whole Earth peanut butter used to be a similar price to all the other peanut butters, about £1.20 - £1.50 a jar. Then about 2 years ago someone somewhere twigged that they could charge "organic" prices for it because it has no sugar and other additives added, so overnight it seemed to jump to about £3+ a jar. Wheareas you can still get the sugary ones like Sunpat for about £1 to £1.50 a jar.
  • angf0679
    angf0679 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options

It's DUMB.

Or like, buy those reusable cups/bottles and fill them from the gallon? That won't waste as many bottles, either.

I have a Brita Filter. I filter my water and I have two water bottles that hold about 3 cups each and I fill those with the filter water and take those to work with me.
  • jmt08c
    jmt08c Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Almond butter...$8-$9 for a 12 oz jar wtf