KATIE COURIC'S PERILS OF FOOD POLICS

Options

Replies

• BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,067 Member
    Options
    well I see this thread has exploded in between breakfast and lunchtime...

I love how some people say regular sugar is ok, but is "added" sugar that is bad. Please explain the difference between this two positions. I would also like to know what difference it makes if person A eats added sugar and maintains a deficit; and person B eats sugar and maintains a deficit....will person B lose more weight then Person A because Person A consumes added sugar???? Is that really what some of you are saying?
    what i was getting at was that added sugars lead to over consumption, but theres essentially no difference in a weight loss/gain standpoint if the two amounts are equal.
    that being said, theres a decent difference between simple sugars found in fruits than the white sugar found in baked goods and candy from a general health standpoint
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    If anyone gets Netflix streaming, there is a interesting documentary called "Hungry for Change", which responds to many of the issues raised in this discussion.

lmfao!
  • TX_Rhon
    TX_Rhon Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    I will save my money for a DQ soft serve thanks.

Now I want DQ soft serve! :grumble: :grumble:

Sorry OP - I just cannot do another sugar is bad - well, all "white" food is bad {and a little racists but that's a different thread}, milk is bad, non-organic veggies are bad {chemicals}, meat is bad, air is bad thread.

I'm happy you found your "healthy" in whatever Katie Couric is trying to promote and wish you luck :flowerforyou:
  • IcanIwill1
    IcanIwill1 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    All children like sugar and dislike vegetables. It's the way the human body functions. An infant's and child's taste receptors aren't fully developed. They taste sweet very well, so they eat it. Bitter is bad to them, hence disliking vegetables, due to the bitter flavors in them. This isn't new. This is something that's been ingrained in human behavior as long as there have been humans. Sweet = good, bitter = poison.

Kids don't eat sugar and shun vegetables because they are addicted to sugar. They eat sugar because they are kids.
    Nope
    They eat sugar because that is how they are socialized in the developed world
    I am African and grew up in Africa, most of my friends growing up, hated sugar and could not tolerate it in their food.( to a lot of them, it made them feel sick and want to throw up)
    Being from a more "westernized" family, and my mother being a chocolate lover, I grew up associating sugar with being middle class and loved it in beverages.
    Most Africans I know love vegetables and look down on sugar and the consumption of it.

Sugar is actually an acquired taste. I hated barbecue sauce on my meat, when I moved to the West 25yrs ago.
    Today I have struggled with a weight problem, because my food preference has changed, and is now in sync with what is predominantly eaten in the society I live in.

I know for a fact that if children are exposed to foods in the home, they will naturally gravitate toward those foods as choices whenever they have to choose.
  • sassyjae21
    sassyjae21 Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options

Yea, that is pretty much awful. I hate seeing obese children. Obese adults are one thing; they are responsible for their choices. Children often times are not, and do not know any better.

What do you think happens to the young obese children when they grow up?

A lot of things. But they also become responsible for their own actions at that point.
  • NataBost
    NataBost Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    You think we'd have learned a lesson from demonizing fats. But no.

Next they demonized carbs. Or salt. Now sugar.

Because it's the easy way out. Looking at someone's diet as a whole...oh man, that sounds like work. And what do you mean I'm to blame for the food I choose to ingest? I'd much rather blame food manufacturers for making food taste good. Rotten businesses trying to make a profit...they should be concerned about my health! So I don't have to be.

What I don't get is that knowing they've been wrong so many times before, why people would listen now?

Go ahead. Ignore your diet as a whole. Tell yourself it's not about calories, just blame sugar. You're not going to succeed, you won't lose weight or get any healthier. But hey, now you can blame someone else for making you fat. You've found your excuse. And that's what you really want, isn't it? An excuse to stay the way you are.
    Stop it with this common sense. This is MFP and it's no place for it

HAH! RIGHT?? :drinker:
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

I love how some people say regular sugar is ok, but is "added" sugar that is bad. Please explain the difference between this two positions. I would also like to know what difference it makes if person A eats added sugar and maintains a deficit; and person B eats sugar and maintains a deficit....will person B lose more weight then Person A because Person A consumes added sugar???? Is that really what some of you are saying?
    what i was getting at was that added sugars lead to over consumption, but theres essentially no difference in a weight loss/gain standpoint if the two amounts are equal.
    that being said, theres a decent difference between simple sugars found in fruits than the white sugar found in baked goods and candy from a general health standpoint
    There's actually no difference between the sugars. Candy bars contain sucrose, glucose, and fructose, while fruit contains sucrose, glucose, and fructose. Although, some fruits also contain galactose and maltose, but then, so do some candies...
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

oh really? so "white" sugar is better than fruit sugar….??? care to elaborate on that one…sugar is sugar is sugar
  • PJPrimrose
    PJPrimrose Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    I'm with this:

"I'm fed up with the scare tactics the media likes to use.

I'll keep my sugar, in moderation, thank you. "

Every 5 seconds as long as I can remember the drama queen media spewing miss information and half-truths (IE lies).
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    Hail Hydra...
    Did you watch last night's episode?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Hang on - no spoilers please.

We get the show on a Friday night in the UK so I haven't seen the latest!
    I actually haven't watched at all except for the first 3-4 episodes because I couldn't get into it. Everyone is saying that now after the new movie released, they've gotten really good. I'm thinking I'm going to have to go back and watch all the old ones and catch up.

Yeh it has got good, some twist and turns along the way - some very predictable others pleasantly surprising!
    I like how it's running parallel with what Marvel is doing with it's Superhero character's. It's been great the last few episodes and I've always loved Ming Na Wen (May) as an action actress. Woman kicks *kitten*.

IDEA Fitness member
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • feeney1217
    feeney1217 Posts: 5
    Options
    To my way of thinking, it's all a matter of common sense. We all know the proper foods to eat. I don't pay any attention to the alarmists. Yes, people should cut down on added sugar, but let's face it, there will always be someone ringing the "jump ship" bell over something. We all know what good foods we should eat, it's just a matter of figuring out what works for you. I would just be concerned about any food plan that eliminates an entire food group. There are people out there who think the natural sugar in fruit should be cause enough to never eat apples, grapes and bananas again. I think that's nonsense.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    Hail Hydra...
    Did you watch last night's episode?

IDEA Fitness member

Hang on - no spoilers please.

We get the show on a Friday night in the UK so I haven't seen the latest!
    I actually haven't watched at all except for the first 3-4 episodes because I couldn't get into it. Everyone is saying that now after the new movie released, they've gotten really good. I'm thinking I'm going to have to go back and watch all the old ones and catch up.

Yeh it has got good, some twist and turns along the way - some very predictable others pleasantly surprising!
    I like how it's running parallel with what Marvel is doing with it's Superhero character's. It's been great the last few episodes and I've always loved Ming Na Wen (May) as an action actress. Woman kicks *kitten*.

IDEA Fitness member

Tot agree :smile:
  • markpamero
    markpamero Posts: 1
    Options
    This is a very serious problem. As a former Personal Trainer and current health and wellness consultant, I think the movie is spot on. If you read medical journals and understand the facts, sugar IS killing us. People need to have a knowledge of the food industry and its tactics to encourage/addict humans to food that is going to harm our bodies.

Will we ever be able to avoid sugar completely? No. But can you make decisions based on science and facts? Yes. The food industry makes it hard to resist those products which are loaded with sugar and harmful fats. So, yes! Have a piece of dark chocolate from a specialty brand/shop. Sure, enjoy an ice cream once a month at a local ice cream producer. But sugar on a daily basis will kill you slowly.

In the 1700's the average person consumed 5 pounds of sugar in one year. Currently in 2014, US citizens (average) 160+ pounds of sugar yearly. That's a staggering fact to is linked to evidence which supports diabeseity is a problem in the US and is now spreading to the rest of the world.
  • Vigilance88
    Vigilance88 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    The food industry makes it hard to resist those products
    don't let them put it in your mouth :devil:
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    This is a very serious problem. As a former Personal Trainer and current health and wellness consultant, I think the movie is spot on. If you read medical journals and understand the facts, sugar IS killing us. People need to have a knowledge of the food industry and its tactics to encourage/addict humans to food that is going to harm our bodies.

Will we ever be able to avoid sugar completely? No. But can you make decisions based on science and facts? Yes. The food industry makes it hard to resist those products which are loaded with sugar and harmful fats. So, yes! Have a piece of dark chocolate from a specialty brand/shop. Sure, enjoy an ice cream once a month at a local ice cream producer. But sugar on a daily basis will kill you slowly.

In the 1700's the average person consumed 5 pounds of sugar in one year. Currently in 2014, US citizens (average) 160+ pounds of sugar yearly. That's a staggering fact to is linked to evidence which supports diabeseity is a problem in the US and is now spreading to the rest of the world.
    You didn't cite any studies, but the facts that you referred to at the end of your post is a correlation. A few things besides sugar consumption have changed since the 1700's including access to food in general. Several other studies have shown direct relationships to the amount of food you have access to and growth in childhood. People are taller now because they have access to food. It's not surprising with access to such large quantities of food that people are overweight. Overconsumption tends to do that.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    Be sure to watch Katie Couric's FED UP!!!!!

Why?????

Sounds a bit rubbish!!!!!!
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options

Will we ever be able to avoid sugar completely? No. But can you make decisions based on science and facts? Yes. The food industry makes it hard to resist those products which are loaded with sugar and harmful fats. So, yes! Have a piece of dark chocolate from a specialty brand/shop. Sure, enjoy an ice cream once a month at a local ice cream producer. But sugar on a daily basis will kill you slowly

So will breathing
    Strong 1st post
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,067 Member
    Options

oh really? so "white" sugar is better than fruit sugar….??? care to elaborate on that one…sugar is sugar is sugar
    sucrose=/=fructose
    although sucrose levels in fruit rise as they ripen, fructose is much more prevalent in most fruit, and "white" sugar is almost pure sucrose
    sucrose raises blood sugar higher than fructose
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2394949

sorry for the late reply
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

Will we ever be able to avoid sugar completely? No. But can you make decisions based on science and facts? Yes. The food industry makes it hard to resist those products which are loaded with sugar and harmful fats. So, yes! Have a piece of dark chocolate from a specialty brand/shop. Sure, enjoy an ice cream once a month at a local ice cream producer. But sugar on a daily basis will kill you slowly

So will breathing
    Strong 1st post
    How slowly? I mean, are we talking slowly over a matter of five years or slowly over a matter of 80 years? That statement needs a qualifier.

Seriously, just being alive is merely dying slowly ...