Is losing weight supposed to be hard?

Options

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm 43, female, and just as ignorant as the OP! I thought this was going to be an interesting discussion, and instead it's just a lot of bashing and excuses. I'm a bit horrified. Why would we assume that his life is free of troubles and responsibilities just because he's young? Being young sucked, for me at least, I have a lot less stressors in my life now.
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    not all of us have access to a FREE gym!!!
    I bought a bench, 400 lbs of plates, a bar, and a half rack for $120 on Craigslist
    You're obviously not willing to lose weight if you refuse to seek out alternatives

Apart from the normal monthly spending within the last three weeks I paid the yearly taxes on my home, paid the yearly contribution on my personal pension plan, paid my dentist and had the flat roof of my home sealed, because the monsoon season starts in a couple of weeks. So I had no 120 dollars left and have no parents to get/borrow them from.
    But then that is OK, because I know that weight loss is achieved by eating at a deficit and that for me being past my mid.60's walking is a good exercise. I do what works for me and not what you think I ought to be willing to do.
  • Ldysw357
    Ldysw357 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    You're an 18 year old male. Get back to me when you're a 45 year old woman.

^^^^This and one that has two kids, a job and everything else to take care of everyone else.
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    Oh and by the way, a lot if you are being ageist.

I love how direct and strong young people are. I respect what they've got to say, they quite often haven't had the nasty knock backs that make the rest of us half hearted and weak. I like being around people like that.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Since I can't post the gif I want without getting banned, here's a much safer one:
    tumblr_mvehh9Mo0m1sj3oxho1_400.gif
  • Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options

I love how direct and strong young people are. I respect what they've got to say, they quite often haven't had the nasty knock backs that make the rest of us half hearted and weak. I like being around people like that.

/eye roll
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    You're in high school and have zero life responsibilities and associated stressors.

Grow up and stop trivializing what is difficult for a lot of people.
    You have all the tools available to you that you need to complete your goal. Responsibility and stress aren't reasons to not develop healthy habits
    Don't have time to have a healthy breakfast or lunch?
    Make it the night before and en masse
    Don't have time to exercise?
    Go for walks around the office or workplace if you have the chance

You asked about challenges. Examples were given. No one said those challenges preclude success.

The troll is strong with this one.
    Those aren't challenges, those are excuses

At what point do "excuses" become challenges then. Where is that line?

I am sorry but when you are trying to maintain a house, working a 10 hour shift and starting a family those "excuses" qualify as challenges. We all have been through highschool, I can assure you....you have not experienced true stress yet. Your body is in peak form at your age, your energy level is at its highest it will ever be, you have the fewest responsibilities you will ever have in the rest of your adult life.

You perceive things as not being difficult because you have nothing in your life that makes them difficult.

Is weight loss or fitness complicated? No. But it, like anything, takes time...and time becomes a lot more precious at 30-65 than at 18.

I'm 40, a wife, a mother of two teens, work full-time.........................

...................and I used to make excuses as to why I couldn't lose weight. The truth was that I hadn't figured out how to do it. Once I figured it out, it was actually pretty easy.

I'm still kicking myself that I spent all those years making excuses instead of putting in the work to research, learn, and figure out the math and science of it.

I'm making the progress I want to be too, doesn't mean it wouldn't have been a heck of a lot easier for me to do so when I was 18. How about you?

At 18 I was running 3-5 miles three times a week and in the gym twice a week. I didn't *need* to lose weight until my twenties. I gained 90 pounds with my first pregnancy, then another 60ish pounds with my second. I had c-sections with both of them and was told not to exercise for a while. I waited about 15 years. :laugh:
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    You're in high school and have zero life responsibilities and associated stressors.

You have all the tools available to you that you need to complete your goal. Responsibility and stress aren't reasons to not develop healthy habits

You asked about challenges. Examples were given. No one said those challenges preclude success.

I am sorry but when you are trying to maintain a house, working a 10 hour shift and starting a family those "excuses" qualify as challenges. We all have been through highschool, I can assure you....you have not experienced true stress yet. Your body is in peak form at your age, your energy level is at its highest it will ever be, you have the fewest responsibilities you will ever have in the rest of your adult life.

You perceive things as not being difficult because you have nothing in your life that makes them difficult.

Is weight loss or fitness complicated? No. But it, like anything, takes time...and time becomes a lot more precious at 30-65 than at 18.

...................and I used to make excuses as to why I couldn't lose weight. The truth was that I hadn't figured out how to do it. Once I figured it out, it was actually pretty easy.

I'm still kicking myself that I spent all those years making excuses instead of putting in the work to research, learn, and figure out the math and science of it.

I'm making the progress I want to be too, doesn't mean it wouldn't have been a heck of a lot easier for me to do so when I was 18. How about you?

I agree that many people make it harder for themselves than they need to - undereating, limiting foods, etc. But it doesn't mean that it's easy to make or sustain the changes that are needed. After awhile, for many of us, it becomes habit and a part of our lives. But don't underestimate the trial and error it took to get you there either.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Calories in<Calories out

Done.

Please+add+more+exclamation+marks+next+time+_807eecc3baa48967de6faaa256cb3703.gif

QFT
  • ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
    Options
    Keep making excuses, I'll keep making progress.
    All I know, is when I was 18 I didn't have 30 Lbs to lose to give my SO the partner they deserved (as per your profile) So what is YOUR excuse?? If you have a tendancy to be overweight now, just wait 'till you grow up!
    My excuse is that I was lazy for the first 17 years of my life, and that needed to change
    She deserves nothing but the best, and I'll keep striving to reach that for her, and for me

So let me get this straight. For most of your life you were lazy. In the last 2 months you have decided to make a change to this...at the age of 18.

Well then, must be the time to hop on the internet and lecture the world on how to live properly.

FTFY
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm 43, female, and just as ignorant as the OP! I thought this was going to be an interesting discussion, and instead it's just a lot of bashing and excuses. I'm a bit horrified.

There is a difference between saying "Because I am older and have these responsibilities it is impossible for me to lose weight" which I have seen absolutely no one here say and "Because I am older and have these responsibilities it is significantly more challenging for me to lose weight than when I was 18 and had less responsibility" which is frankly true.

When you have more responsibility you have to juggle everything you need to accomplish. This does not mean weight loss and fitness become impossible but it does mean adding something to the balancing act which is considerably more difficult than just taking care of yourself at 18 when it is all about you anyways.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Anyone else waiting for OP to post a picture of himself so we can see his so called "progress"?

He continues to rave about how wonderful he is but isn't wonderful enough to post a picture of himself. One would think he'd want to show off the progress he has made. Interesting…
  • Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    much-to-learn-you-still-have-en-ffffff
  • laratacita
    laratacita Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    While the original poster is generally the typical snot-nosed teenager, I'm surprised no one has brought up the following. My Fitness Pal already starts people at a deficit, and I assume he's eating 500 calories below that. At 18, you are still going through the changes brought on by puberty. (This is one of the reasons why I suspect he's being such a -- for lack of a better word -- prick. He hasn't learned how to manage all of that extra testosterone yet.) Are you sure you are eating enough food to fuel all of the changes to your body? I'd strongly suggest adding in a few more calories to your daily routine. There's a good chance what you are doing will have a negative affect on your overall health.
  • glickman1
    glickman1 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    And with the attitude you have, the only way for your girlfriend to get the boyfriend she deserves is TO FIND A NEW ONE
    Look back in history and tell me, how many of the greatest leaders ever were complacent, weak willed,etc.?
    I'll wait

you by good young fella are complacent and weak willed...otherwise you wouldn't ahve been 30lbs overweight.
    Exactly
    Being overweight doesn't necessarily imply complacency or being weak willed
    Nice try though

So you came out of the womb overweight?...
    Everything in life is a choice, whether it's conscious or not.
    Did I choose to be overweight? Yes. I had zero problem with being overweight, and I still had the qualities that I did then that I have now
    The only difference is that I got tired of having a belly
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options

:yawn:

Yeah, I liked to bang 18 year olds too.

Granted I was also 18, but hey, who wants to grow up.
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    I found it really hard to lose weight when I was 18, impossible.

Funnily enough, now I'm 43, single parent, running a business, no family, I find 10 hours a week to train and fight daily urges to comfort eat.

Yes, OP is getting his point across really clumsily, and is yet to learn charm and diplomacy, but in a funny way....

He's kind of right. Just coz he's 18 and a jerk doesn't change that.

Just out of curiosity why was it difficult for you to lose weight when you were 18? Was it just a lack of knowledge thing? I assume it wasn't because you were busier then than you are now.

Simple. Lack of self discipline and inability to delay gratification, alcoholism and an eating disorder ! Lol!
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options

Hey, if you like being surrounded by *kitten* that's your thing but some of us prefer people who not only have tact but the ability to show compassion
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options

At 18 I was running 3-5 miles three times a week and in the gym twice a week. I didn't *need* to lose weight until my twenties. I gained 90 pounds with my first pregnancy, then another 60ish pounds with my second. I had c-sections with both of them and was told not to exercise for a while. I waited about 15 years. :laugh:

I wasn't told not to exercise and I waited two. I just didn't have the time or the sleep to do it before then. Not excuses. Reasons.
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,068 Member
    Options
    While the original poster is generally the typical snot-nosed teenager, I'm surprised no one has brought up the following. My Fitness Pal already starts people at a deficit, and I assume he's eating 500 calories below that. At 18, you are still going through the changes brought on by puberty. (This is one of the reasons why I suspect he's being such a -- for lack of a better word -- prick. He hasn't learned how to manage all of that extra testosterone yet.) Are you sure you are eating enough food to fuel all of the changes to your body? I'd strongly suggest adding in a few more calories to your daily routine. There's a good chance what you are doing will have a negative affect on your overall health.
    shhhhhhhh

we dont want him to know that
This discussion has been closed.