Is losing weight supposed to be hard?

Options

Replies

• GallifreyanGirl396
    GallifreyanGirl396 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    So, let's see...when I was 18 I had: life figured out, a full scholarship, a rockin body with abs, extra cash from my job, a sporty looking vehicle, not a whole lot of attachments ,and enough energy to stay awake for days on end.

Now I have: 2 college degrees and a job that barely cuts it, a strict budget , hypothyroidism, PCOS, diabetes, barely enough time to sleep, and the occasional whiskey to deal with all of the ulcer causing, migraine inducing stress.

Growing up is trap...gloat about your glory days while you have them.
  • karmac0matic
    karmac0matic Posts: 285
    Options
    I think the majority of us are reading this laughing to ourselves quietly because we know they're trolling ;)
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I've always read and heard about people complaining about weight loss being too difficult, or that it's too complicated. I'm on day 48 of my weight loss "journey" if you wish to call it that, and there's been absolutely zero challenges I've faced. I lift weights 3-4 days a week, and eat at a 500 calorie deficit and I've lost 16 pounds.
    So what's the big deal with weight loss? Why is it considered to be so impossible?

I'm finishing up my second year and have to agree. I think some people find it hard because they haven't really figured it out yet.

I would agree that it's simple. Easy is another thing. And, if one of my kids got seriously sick, you know that tracking calories would be the last thing on my mind.

I think easy depends on your frame of mind. I have had my own personal stressors, and I have decided not to log here and there, but that's just life. Life sometimes throws you a curve ball, and you have to react.

That doesn't make it *hard* to lose weight, once you find what works. And obviously, I realize that some folks have medical conditions, and some may be on birth control or other meds that directly cause weight gain. I'm not dismissing that. I'm just saying, that for me, I struggled for *YEARS* to figure it out. Once I finally learned how it works, and figured out the right macros/calorie goal for *ME* personally, then it was easy. I used to drop and gain 20 pounds from diet pills and such. Now I'm lighter than I've been since my kiddos, and I've been able to maintain that for over 9 months without tracking daily.

So, that's why I said the people who struggle are people who haven't figured it out. Or they could have some medical condition, which I didn't mention in my earlier comment, but yes, for some, that's simply a fact.
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    Oh and by the way, a lot if you are being ageist.

I love how direct and strong young people are. I respect what they've got to say, they quite often haven't had the nasty knock backs that make the rest of us half hearted and weak. I like being around people like that.

/eye roll

I'm a higher education lecturer. I love it when I see them later in life and their youthful arrogance has weathered them through this ****storm called life.
    Adults are pretty frikkin rubbish sometimes.

Am I reading too far into this or are you coming off as someone who has a fetish for youth?
  • rathimani
    rathimani Posts: 15
    Options
    haha this :)
    You're in high school and have zero life responsibilities and associated stressors.

Grow up and stop trivializing what is difficult for a lot of people.

wizards-of-yep.gif
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options

I love how direct and strong young people are. I respect what they've got to say, they quite often haven't had the nasty knock backs that make the rest of us half hearted and weak. I like being around people like that.

:yawn:

Yeah, I liked to bang 18 year olds too.

Granted I was also 18, but hey, who wants to grow up.

Ladylike! I'm a teacher at a college. I understand how these people work. Really mature btw! Keep at it!
  • action_figure
    action_figure Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    It doesn't seem hard to me most days. However, there are days when you just don't wanna. Fighting that is the hard part.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options

OMG stop being AGEIST
  • AvesArdens
    AvesArdens Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Oh wow, this thread got you a lot of attention. Well played!
  • IlluminatedMayhem
    Options
    You see criminals all the time using childhood's like mine as an excuse for their crimes. Instead of crime or drugs, I turned to food. Its an addiction I've had since I was a child. You can't avoid it completely like you can with other addictions because we all have to eat to live. And the there's the fact that when you're carrying the weight of 2 people on your body, exercise becomes much more difficult.

Despite my addiction to food weight loss in high school was super easy. During the school year, I couldn't gain if I tried and any weight I gained over the summer melted of in just a couple of weeks.

I don't expect it to be that easy this time. I expect my workouts will be interrupted by my children. And not only do I have to fight my food addiction but breastfeeding gives me a really bad case of the munchies. Especially when she's going through a growth spurt. I'm also am married to a man who is not quite ready to give up his junk food addiction. And I've recently read that people at my bmi have less than 10% chance of success without surgery.

However, I will do this this time. My girls deserve a mom who wears them out instead of being tired all the time. They deserve to be taught how to have a healthy relationship with food. I'm just going to take it one day at a time. Today is day 4 of logging and is shaping up to be day 3 of eating under my calorie goal.
  • Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry, but as someone who works with 18 YO's on a regular basis, I have yet to meet one that was THIS ignorant and obnoxious that wasn't just doing it to try to upset people. So no matter what age the OP actually is (and I'm almost certain it's NOT 18), this is just 100% pure troll. So moving on:

I'm not seeing many gifs yet? Am I just missing out because I'm at work, and if not it's time for gif hijack. Go.

Meanwhile, the OP and the ageist girl are off to get their fake ID cards:

tumblr_n2rnrpC9ng1rey868o1_500.gif
  • paulawatkins1974
    paulawatkins1974 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Guys really stop feeding this troll. All he wants to do is make overweight people feel like *kitten*. Hes a spoiled little brat high on his recently acquired and unfamiliar male hormones. Why for the love of god are you actually taking him seriously? Let him prattle on. he will learn his lesson the hard way. As people like him always have to.

Oh you have confused this with seriousness. Trust me, I am not taking this seriously...I have a big ****-eating grin on right now.
    LOL! yep
  • llbennett74
    llbennett74 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    :grumble:
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options

/eye roll

I'm a higher education lecturer. I love it when I see them later in life and their youthful arrogance has weathered them through this ****storm called life.
    you shouldnt speak that way about yourself.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Umm so far I'm a few pages in...and is it just me or is this "18 yr old" simply saying a lot of the things the rest of us say?

CI/CO
    No excuses
    Find a way
    Problem solve
    Have a WHY

etc, etc, etc.

I read the thread title and thought "finally someone gets it, it doesnt' have to be 3 hours on the treadmill, eating a mushroom and a cucumber and having hunger 'pains' for the rest of the day, yo-yo dieting and extemely low cal goals to get the weight off FAST". I'm a few pages in and I'm still not sure he's not just saying mostly the same.

Once you get the basics down and have a plan it's pretty much smooth sailing with some minor bumps when crap happens, but that's few and far between and not really indicating the weight loss itself is hard but that one's own priorities were shifted temporarily or permanently as the case may be.

So far I'm inclined to want to hire the OP as my motivator and K.I.S.S. coach.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I've always read and heard about people complaining about weight loss being too difficult, or that it's too complicated. I'm on day 48 of my weight loss "journey" if you wish to call it that, and there's been absolutely zero challenges I've faced. I lift weights 3-4 days a week, and eat at a 500 calorie deficit and I've lost 16 pounds.
    So what's the big deal with weight loss? Why is it considered to be so impossible?

I'm finishing up my second year and have to agree. I think some people find it hard because they haven't really figured it out yet.

I would agree that it's simple. Easy is another thing. And, if one of my kids got seriously sick, you know that tracking calories would be the last thing on my mind.

I think easy depends on your frame of mind. I have had my own personal stressors, and I have decided not to log here and there, but that's just life. Life sometimes throws you a curve ball, and you have to react.

That doesn't make it *hard* to lose weight, once you find what works. And obviously, I realize that some folks have medical conditions, and some may be on birth control or other meds that directly cause weight gain. I'm not dismissing that. I'm just saying, that for me, I struggled for *YEARS* to figure it out. Once I finally learned how it works, and figured out the right macros/calorie goal for *ME* personally, then it was easy. I used to drop and gain 20 pounds from diet pills and such. Now I'm lighter than I've been since my kiddos, and I've been able to maintain that for over 9 months without tracking daily.

So, that's why I said the people who struggle are people who haven't figured it out. Or they could have some medical condition, which I didn't mention in my earlier comment, but yes, for some, that's simply a fact.

Many of the people who struggle haven't figured it out yet. However, I've had this conversation with my friends list. and some of the people who have been really successful and inspirational, etc. admit to still struggling with it. Different people have different challenges.
  • lizc0616
    lizc0616 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    You're in high school and have zero life responsibilities and associated stressors.

Grow up and stop trivializing what is difficult for a lot of people.
    You have all the tools available to you that you need to complete your goal. Responsibility and stress aren't reasons to not develop healthy habits
    Don't have time to have a healthy breakfast or lunch?
    Make it the night before and en masse
    Don't have time to exercise?
    Go for walks around the office or workplace if you have the chance

You asked about challenges. Examples were given. No one said those challenges preclude success.

The troll is strong with this one.
    Those aren't challenges, those are excuses

*eyeroll* excuses<priorities. It is difficult end of story, but it is something you have to MAKE yourself do to be a better YOU !
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options

Ladylike! I'm a teacher at a college. I understand how these people work. Really mature btw! Keep at it!

Bluto_in_College_sweatshirt.jpg
  • VoodooSyxx
    VoodooSyxx Posts: 297
    Options
    45 days and 16lbs, is that all you have lost, not much for an 18 year old boy to be honest? I lost 15lbs in the first 28 days way back when I was 18 doing my first diet (and Im a woman). Now 25 years later it takes me 2 months to lose that

lol THIS. So much this. If I had the knowledge I have now and the energy, free time, and lack of responsibility I had at 18, I could have been dropping weight like a madman. Even as it is, I'm a 33 year old with busted up knees and lost way more than 16 measly little pounds in the first month.
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options

I've taught Highschool and College and I've never met a student this willfully ignorant that wasn't doing it just to get a rise out of someone, so troll.
This discussion has been closed.