Is losing weight supposed to be hard?

Options

Replies

• Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    I dont think he will make it 20 years,,,,,with his "intelligent" all knowing mental capacity and his "Oh so Charming" personality, I think the closet he is hiding in will reveal no real GF and a secret inner hatred of himself and all people just as he actually decides to fake committing suicide to garner attention only to let his true intelligence show as the faulty planning turns into the real deal.

RIP
    ummmm....WOW - I just figured he's learn some life lessons after a being dumped by some girl and taking solice in a lot of ice cream, but you took it to a whole new level....
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    deleted (duplicate post)
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    Wow.

This has got to be the most successful troll thread I have ever seen! Keep feeding him! this is making for a good afternoon. :D

Nah, I've seen better. He was called out as a troll too early on for it to be successful. 4/10, maybe 5/10.

I dunno. 13 pages and people are still tying their panties into knots because of him.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    You're an 18 year old male. Get back to me when you're a 45 year old woman.

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:heart:
    NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:explode:

Making it like it's an age specific thing makes too many older women give up, not even start, or turn to wacky methods that can be weaksauce at best, and dangerous at worst, and financially draining most of the time. It's NOT HARD. It's simple. It just takes time and effort. No matter the age. Last year I lost 25 lbs easy. EASY I say. And I'm no spring chicken.
  • _errata_
    _errata_ Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    I've always read and heard about people complaining about weight loss being too difficult, or that it's too complicated. I'm on day 48 of my weight loss "journey" if you wish to call it that, and there's been absolutely zero challenges I've faced. I lift weights 3-4 days a week, and eat at a 500 calorie deficit and I've lost 16 pounds.
    So what's the big deal with weight loss? Why is it considered to be so impossible?

Itzfridaaay.gif
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    <Ducking as I write this>

As a 40 year old woman, I found losing weight to be pretty straight-forward and simple. The weight didn't come flying off quickly, but it was steady, reliable and generally easy for me this time around.

My past efforts to lose were difficult and destined for failure because I over-complicated everything with diets, huge calorie deficits, and long lists of forbidden foods. If I went off my rigid track even a little, it always snowballed into a return to the bad habit of overeating all the time and proclaiming myself a failure.

As soon as I realized that all I needed to do is cut a minimal amount of calories from my daily intake (250 in my case) and work harder at moving throughout the day, everything else fell into place. I continued to eat all my favorite foods (not even the diet/light versions). Most days I ate over 2000 calories and still lost consistently. I went from 202 to 152 (my initial goal weight) in about eight months. I went on to lose another 16 pounds over six more months, before finally settling around 136 lbs. (I'm almost 5'9"). I've hovered between 135-140 for a little over two years now.

I don't want to minimize anyone else's struggles because we're all different. But for me, it was easy.

Well I will come out swinging at you and say....yeah for me it is easy to. However unlike our friend here I have enough experience to recognize the challenges and enough empathy to sympathize with them.

^^This. I'm with Wendy. Once I got it figured out, it was kind of like clockwork. I was never too hungry, I did the exercise I can do in a day. Gave myself the freedom to not beat myself up for not doing more and lost the weight.

It's not like that for every successful person on my friend list. Some people do exactly all of that, including losing the weight and it's JUST NOT EASY for them. Every meal, every day takes effort. Every run, every lift feels like a battle. and they do it.

Who am I to look down on that?
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    <Ducking as I write this>

As a 40 year old woman, I found losing weight to be pretty straight-forward and simple. The weight didn't come flying off quickly, but it was steady, reliable and generally easy for me this time around.

My past efforts to lose were difficult and destined for failure because I over-complicated everything with diets, huge calorie deficits, and long lists of forbidden foods. If I went off my rigid track even a little, it always snowballed into a return to the bad habit of overeating all the time and proclaiming myself a failure.

As soon as I realized that all I needed to do is cut a minimal amount of calories from my daily intake (250 in my case) and work harder at moving throughout the day, everything else fell into place. I continued to eat all my favorite foods (not even the diet/light versions). Most days I ate over 2000 calories and still lost consistently. I went from 202 to 152 (my initial goal weight) in about eight months. I went on to lose another 16 pounds over six more months, before finally settling around 136 lbs. (I'm almost 5'9"). I've hovered between 135-140 for a little over two years now.

I don't want to minimize anyone else's struggles because we're all different. But for me, it was easy.

Well I will come out swinging at you and say....yeah for me it is easy to. However unlike our friend here I have enough experience to recognize the challenges and enough empathy to sympathize with them.

No need to swing at me! :smile:

I was very careful to qualify everything I wrote with 'personally' and 'for me', and end my post with 'I don't want to minimize anyone else's struggles because we're all different. '. I'm just trying to say that it finally clicked for me, but I empathize that the struggle in daily and ongoing for many, many people.

Oh no I agree with you, I was just being cute with the "come out swinging" thing based on your "duck". I don't think you are wrong. I don't think the OP is wrong in saying that conceptually weightloss is easy. It of course becomes much easier when its all you have to care about.

Gotcha! I agree - the complications of adult life definitely add to the challenge. :-)
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Umm so far I'm a few pages in...and is it just me or is this "18 yr old" simply saying a lot of the things the rest of us say?

CI/CO
    No excuses
    Find a way
    Problem solve
    Have a WHY

etc, etc, etc.

I read the thread title and thought "finally someone gets it, it doesnt' have to be 3 hours on the treadmill, eating a mushroom and a cucumber and having hunger 'pains' for the rest of the day, yo-yo dieting and extemely low cal goals to get the weight off FAST". I'm a few pages in and I'm still not sure he's not just saying mostly the same.

Once you get the basics down and have a plan it's pretty much smooth sailing with some minor bumps when crap happens, but that's few and far between and not really indicating the weight loss itself is hard but that one's own priorities were shifted temporarily or permanently as the case may be.

So far I'm inclined to want to hire the OP as my motivator and K.I.S.S. coach.

TYVM!

Yes, minor bumps happen, and you flippin' figure that shiz out! You deal with it, like you deal with anything in life. And it sucks *while* it's happening, sure.

But yes, K.I.S.S.

CI/CO
    No excuses
    Find a way
    Problem solve
    Have a WHY

etc, etc, etc.

If you haven't had success, keep trying until you figure it out. Keep reading. Keep listening to the smart folks on here, Like Sidesteel and Sara, et al. See a doctor if needed. Keep trying.

Once you find the right macros/calories for *your* life/body, then keep pushin and doing what works. Bump happens? Grab a bandaid and an ice pack. Bridge to cross? Cross that bish and just get it done!

image.png
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    All of this he's 18 and I'm 4o, 41, 42, 45 implies an inherent difference in BIOLOGY in aged people that makes it hard.

Besides my injuries I have to consider when choosing exercise I wasn't aware that there was some biological or physical state that my age bestows on me that nullifies CI/CO? I thought as far as I don't have PCOS or thyroid problems which are rare, I have the same methods as any other human. Am I misinformed? Have I misread hundreds of threads?

I agree with OP that calories in calories out is all there is to it, that conceptually it is easy. I disagree that as an adult balancing your own personal needs with your responsibilities to others is "easy".

The backlash is largely centered on OP's lack of life experience and overall smugness and arrogance.

OK but that wasn't part of his original OP or his thread title. I think he only said so far that the weight loss plan is easy. I don't think he has called adulthood or the responsibilities "easy" but has simply encouraged people (in a blunt style) to work out those challenges and find a way? I read over his posts which seem limited to this thread and that was my read on his posts anyways. I fear people may be reading more into what he is saying just from personal perspectives.

I understand what you are trying to say but honestly if that is really the case then he needs to learn to convey this attitude far more effectively. Because everything about his delivery suggests a smug immature person belittling people for not being able to do something that he is decided is trivial. And frankly I think that is in fact .. the case. I am sorry but I believe you are trying to imagine virtue where none exists.

Oh no OP is a smug immature prick, I was just saying that I agree that weight loss is about calories in versus calories out. I don't think OP has any insight to offer and I find is arrogance amusing.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    It was easy for me too. Got much harder as I'm getting close to my goal and that I'm in the normal weight range... as going over when you have a smaller deficit can pretty much negate the deficit.
  • RHachicho
    RHachicho Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    Wow.

This has got to be the most successful troll thread I have ever seen! Keep feeding him! this is making for a good afternoon. :D

Nah, I've seen better. He was called out as a troll too early on for it to be successful. 4/10, maybe 5/10.

I dunno. 13 pages and people are still tying their panties into knots because of him.

It's just too funny to stop.
  • _errata_
    Options
    I've always read and heard about people complaining about weight loss being too difficult, or that it's too complicated. I'm on day 48 of my weight loss "journey" if you wish to call it that, and there's been absolutely zero challenges I've faced. I lift weights 3-4 days a week, and eat at a 500 calorie deficit and I've lost 16 pounds.
    So what's the big deal with weight loss? Why is it considered to be so impossible?

cute-cat.gif
  • _errata_
    Options

dozing_off_kitty.gif
  • _Resolve_
    _Resolve_ Posts: 735 Member
    Options

Been at this for a whole 6 weeks and know it all already huh... Thats cute.
  • glickman1
    glickman1 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    For a bunch of "people" who are so busy with work, family, and other responsibilities you sure have a lot of time to post on an Internet forum
  • missomgitsica
    missomgitsica Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    You're in high school and have zero life responsibilities and associated stressors.

Grow up and stop trivializing what is difficult for a lot of people.

OMG this. Let us know how easy it is when you hit your late 20's and have some adult responsibilitis like a full time job, a mortgage, and a car payment.
  • jec285
    jec285 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    there_is_no_need_to_be_upset-4390.gif
  • Crateria_
    Crateria_ Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    If it's easy you wouldn't of had to lose 30lbs.
    img-2574438-1-OOOH.gif
  • RHachicho
    RHachicho Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    All of this he's 18 and I'm 4o, 41, 42, 45 implies an inherent difference in BIOLOGY in aged people that makes it hard.

Besides my injuries I have to consider when choosing exercise I wasn't aware that there was some biological or physical state that my age bestows on me that nullifies CI/CO? I thought as far as I don't have PCOS or thyroid problems which are rare, I have the same methods as any other human. Am I misinformed? Have I misread hundreds of threads?

I agree with OP that calories in calories out is all there is to it, that conceptually it is easy. I disagree that as an adult balancing your own personal needs with your responsibilities to others is "easy".

The backlash is largely centered on OP's lack of life experience and overall smugness and arrogance.

OK but that wasn't part of his original OP or his thread title. I think he only said so far that the weight loss plan is easy. I don't think he has called adulthood or the responsibilities "easy" but has simply encouraged people (in a blunt style) to work out those challenges and find a way? I read over his posts which seem limited to this thread and that was my read on his posts anyways. I fear people may be reading more into what he is saying just from personal perspectives.

I understand what you are trying to say but honestly if that is really the case then he needs to learn to convey this attitude far more effectively. Because everything about his delivery suggests a smug immature person belittling people for not being able to do something that he is decided is trivial. And frankly I think that is in fact .. the case. I am sorry but I believe you are trying to imagine virtue where none exists.

Oh no OP is a smug immature prick, I was just saying that I agree that weight loss is about calories in versus calories out. I don't think OP has any insight to offer and I find is arrogance amusing.

Oh i get it man, Don't worry I realize there is big difference between you and him.
  • lizc0616
    lizc0616 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    married, two small children, full time employee, full time college student, gymnasts mom, and homemaker/cook. full time weight loss journey/fitness journey; is it easy NO is it difficult YES is it simple YES there is totally a difference in easy and simple, the struggle is REAL but i am taking it day by day, with minor set backs here and there, a lot slower than if i was 18 with no kids, and no responsibilities!

i CAN do this i WILL do this, even though there are many days i dont WANT to do it cause its so damn hard! :drinker:
This discussion has been closed.