Food prices that piss you off

Options

Replies

• shunggie
    shunggie Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    You guys need Aldi. Fresh fruit and veggies cheap!
  • sue_ham3
    sue_ham3 Posts: 10
    Options
    You guys need Aldi. Fresh fruit and veggies cheap!

I can get cheap food as I'm in the Los Angeles area (Asian, Latino, Armenian markets, 99-cent only store, Trader Joe's, Walmart,
    Costco, Fresh 'n Easy, next to Mexico, California agriculture, etc.). However we eat organic, in-season, try for local, humanely-raised, nutrient-dense now. So almost EVERYTHING we buy is going to cost a lot more. And yes, I use coupons at Whole Foods and Sprouts and ask for discount at the farmer's market at closing time.

For those of you that have access to ethnic markets, do consider shopping there. The turnover on produce is high volume so it's very fresh. There won't be "organic" but you can eat very well for not much money which is what we did for many, many years. The
    Armenian markets carry lots of fresh/packaged European goods too.

Berries - 99-Cent-Only store in Los Angeles area has blackberries, strawberries, raspberries, blueberries. There's also other fresh produce (sometimes organic).

Salmon - Target has frozen wild caught Alaskan keta salmon, often on sale and sometimes with their Cartwheel app you get another 5 - 10% off. I know, not fresh or defrosted...but just put in a bowl of room temp. water and defrost yourself. Individually packaged too. Get with skin, it's cheaper.

And consider Freecycle, Craigslist and food share/swaps in your community. We have local group that shares extra things from our backyard gardens. I've seen people ask for lemons and such on Freecycle.
  • hannhr
    hannhr Posts: 22
    Options
    Spices! The last time I bought cinnamon I was astounded by the price.
    Goji berries, $20 for a pound?!
  • skytoads
    skytoads Posts: 79
    Options
    Pistachios and beef jerky
  • snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Basically anything gluten free. I don't even buy bread because it costs me $7 for a 400g loaf...
  • Elsie_Brownraisin
    Elsie_Brownraisin Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    For any Brits that love asparagus still reading, Aldi has small bunches of thick British asparagus for 79p at the moment. It's coming up to the end of the season.
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    Just the prices of fruits and vegetables in general. I wish I had the ability to grow what I need, but seem to have a deadly touch with plants.
  • ianthy
    ianthy Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I love eating fish especially Tuna ( not tinned) and swordfish. I went to my local Coop in Italy yesterday and Swordfish €24.90 kg. This seems a crazy price - I can buy a whole chicken for €6.00 and 10 Italian sausages (large and very meaty) for €8.00. I really love fish so ended up buying salmon steaks instead €10.00 kg.
  • minnie_mousse
    minnie_mousse Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Berries :( I love blackberries and blueberries but they are so expensive.

Nuts, tropical fruits, fish/seafood in general, the list goes on and on. I also live way north, so everything is shipped up here by trucks and has a bunch of added costs. BLARGH
  • mpmama2re
    mpmama2re Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    so what is a good price for quest bars? I got 4 at gnc for $9. It's my first time trying them so I don't know much about the prices for them. my HEB had them 2/$5.

almond butter. $7- $8 a jar here.
  • kittykat1994
    kittykat1994 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Fresh meat. It's all too expensive on a students budget! Argh!!
  • Oi_Sunshine
    Oi_Sunshine Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    Chicken and good cheese.
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    extra lean ground beef - I don't like the taste of if with too much fat so paying over $8 for 1.25 lbs seems like a lot when ground beef used to be a staple because you can do so much with it. Mind you, I usually get a big pot of chili or meat sauce from one package.

and yes good cheese as someone else said
  • knra_grl
    Options
    Whole roasting chickens!! - between $15-$20 per chicken.

Where do you live?

I can get a whole chicken for like $6

I pay $18 for Mary's organic air-chilled whole roasting chickens from Whole Foods in Pasadena, California.
    Regular defrosted chickens are in the $6 range.

I buy free range chickens a case of 10 for $115 and they about double the size of the ones in the grocery stores and taste way better. Check your local chicken farms out you can probably get them cheaper.
  • knra_grl
    Options
    Peanut butter without added sugar, why are you harder to find and cost more?

Kraft makes all natural peanut butter - peanuts are the only ingredient and it's the same price as other peanut butters.
  • Ulwaz
    Ulwaz Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    i think all healthy stuff is so expensive, especially some fruits and stuff, its stupid they want people to eat healthier but make bad foods cheaper? stupid really :(
  • IcanIwill1
    IcanIwill1 Posts: 137 Member
    Options

I can get cheap food as I'm in the Los Angeles area (Asian, Latino, Armenian markets, 99-cent only store, Trader Joe's, Walmart,
    Costco, Fresh 'n Easy, next to Mexico, California agriculture, etc.). However we eat organic, in-season, try for local, humanely-raised, nutrient-dense now. So almost EVERYTHING we buy is going to cost a lot more. And yes, I use coupons at Whole Foods and Sprouts and ask for discount at the farmer's market at closing time.

For those of you that have access to ethnic markets, do consider shopping there. The turnover on produce is high volume so it's very fresh. There won't be "organic" but you can eat very well for not much money which is what we did for many, many years. The
    Armenian markets carry lots of fresh/packaged European goods too.

Berries - 99-Cent-Only store in Los Angeles area has blackberries, strawberries, raspberries, blueberries. There's also other fresh produce (sometimes organic).

Salmon - Target has frozen wild caught Alaskan keta salmon, often on sale and sometimes with their Cartwheel app you get another 5 - 10% off. I know, not fresh or defrosted...but just put in a bowl of room temp. water and defrost yourself. Individually packaged too. Get with skin, it's cheaper.

And consider Freecycle, Craigslist and food share/swaps in your community. We have local group that shares extra things from our backyard gardens. I've seen people ask for lemons and such on Freecycle.
    Great Post.
    I live in the UK and being creative, with where I do my shopping has meant regularly eating stuff I would not have considered as affordable as often as I can have them now. This is because I go to places that sell them cheap like freezer shops in markets where fresh caught sea food sells for 20% or less of the supermarket prices.
    Jumbo prawns that are £3.50 in regular supermarkets for 180g (5oz) packs, I have never paid more than £1 for.
    Salmon fillets ditto.
    Markets are fantastic places for fresh produce. I have never seen very large heads of cauliflower for more than 50p (.80 USD)
    I also buy loads of meat and sea food products when on sale and freeze.
    In my own experience fresh produce is way cheaper than the stuff that has been processed.
  • b_e_l_l_a_a_a_a_a_a
    b_e_l_l_a_a_a_a_a_a Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    BEEF JERKY :cry: :brokenheart:

Sure it's not really a health food but it's BEEF JERKY and sooo expensive for such a tiny amount.

edit: and almonds!!! :( almonds are so damn expensive.
  • oxers
    oxers Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Brussels sprouts.

BRUSSELS SPROUTS.

I would eat them EVERY SINGLE DAY if they weren't four bucks a pound!
  • eylia
    eylia Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I'm always sad after a shop as 80-90% of my buy is vegetables and fruit and it's always more than I think it'll be, I try to stay in season, because it makes a difference. I'm always shocked when one lonely passionfruit is 89c though. A $6 cauliflower seems ridiculous, but then I remind myself I spend almost that much on one coffee out, and it doesn't seem so bad. I sort of compare everything to 'coffees'...