rejected by online soulmate b/c of weight

Options

Replies

• taramaclaren
    taramaclaren Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Ditch him.

While I respect him for being able to be honest and let you know he's not that into you (which is a GREAT book and I highly, HIGHLY recommend you read - super empowering. Don't see the movie - read the book book) - rejection does hurt. Don't waste your time on someone who is just not really worth it. There is someone out there who can give you exactly what you deserve, and this guy just isn't it.

Also - get yourself happy and healthy. If it is at your current weight, then great! If you need to lose a bit of weight to feel good about yourself, then do it. But do it for yourself, not for some guy.
  • doointhis4me
    doointhis4me Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I met my man over 2 years ago when I was about 40 pounds heavier than I am now. We met online and the moment I saw his picture, I was instantly in love with him. I wanted to meet him so bad. We met and had a few good weeks of "fun". I was totally, crazy madly in love with him and while he liked me, he was not genuinely interested. It really hurt me. I can't remember the last time I cried over a man. Deep down, I knew it was my weight.

In September, he wound up finding me, not realizing it was me. When he sent me his picture, I about *kitten* myself that it was him. When I told him who I was,he was surprised he had found me. We wound up hooking up. All the feelings I had about him, being crazy in love with him, came right back. I told myself I'd just f!ck him and dump him, but I couldn't do it. We wound up starting to spend a lot of time together and I finally told him I love him.

My dream was to hear him say that he loved me. And now he has. He told me, "Deep down I always knew you were the one. But you were just too big."

Oh, girl. That gives me the sads.

WOW.
  • sm10wq
    sm10wq Posts: 3
    Options
    I am really sorry to hear that you have a broken heart. Honestly, if this guy truly loved you unconditionally he would love you for who you are no matter what you look like. It is hard to trust online relationships because saying you love someone over the internet is a lot easier to say than face to face. If you want to be fit and happy, healthy again do it for yourself and your own happiness but not for some guy that has no respect for you if he cannot accept that life changes.
  • YesIAm17
    YesIAm17 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    I met my man over 2 years ago when I was about 40 pounds heavier than I am now. We met online and the moment I saw his picture, I was instantly in love with him. I wanted to meet him so bad. We met and had a few good weeks of "fun". I was totally, crazy madly in love with him and while he liked me, he was not genuinely interested. It really hurt me. I can't remember the last time I cried over a man. Deep down, I knew it was my weight.

In September, he wound up finding me, not realizing it was me. When he sent me his picture, I about *kitten* myself that it was him. When I told him who I was,he was surprised he had found me. We wound up hooking up. All the feelings I had about him, being crazy in love with him, came right back. I told myself I'd just f!ck him and dump him, but I couldn't do it. We wound up starting to spend a lot of time together and I finally told him I love him.

My dream was to hear him say that he loved me. And now he has. He told me, "Deep down I always knew you were the one. But you were just too big."

That last part just does not compute for me, really cannot wrap my head around those words. I just cannot understand how someone can be both "the one" and also "too big" or "too small" or "too whatever". But then again I don't have to, you 2 are together and I hope you are both very happy and I wish you all the best :flowerforyou:
  • hortensehildegarde
    hortensehildegarde Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    Seriously in this day and age, you never seen what each other looked like? With Skype, Facetime, etc etc how could you not. Sorry, I understand people meet online all the time, but surely they find a way to see each other before they meet "in person".

Honestly you never really know someone until you meet them and spend time with them in person. Their "online" personality could be totally awesome and also totally fabricated. This person could have been a real creeper. Please be careful in the future.

This whole sentiment makes my skin crawl. You CAN really know someone before you meet them and spend time with them in person. It just depends. My husband IRL is EXACTLY the same as he was for years online thousands of miles away. We never skyped/facetimed etc. He tried to get me to video chat once and I told him no because I thought it was creepy. I guess we had seen a few pics of each other before we met for the first time. He had some kind of mental breakdown where you'd have thought he was 14 years old he was so sick in love with me (before we met the first time). I think I could have looked like jabba the hut and he'd still have been infatuated.

Now to be fair, there are a few.. quirky behaviors I didn't know about before living with him, but I am quite sure he would have hid those had we meet IRL as I am pretty sure he knows those behaviors are weird, to put it in the best light possible. BUT he is the exact.same.person I envisioned and the same one I fell in love with. I tease him about the odd behaviors but they sure as heck don't make me not love him/not attracted to him.

I get people saying be wary, be careful as there are a lot of fakes out there. That is as much true IRL as it is online. It is good sound advice. But when it is real and people are honest, decent, open people online there is no mystery to them you will discover once you are together in person.

On another note to take things to another level- if you were mauled in an accident and lost all your limbs and could never be "intimate" again, do you want a SO who will walk away or one who will stick by you through that experience? We can't control all things about our appearance. I'd tote my husband around in a box if I had to even if he was just a stump, or burned beyond recognition or any of the other horrible things that can happen to people by accident. Life's too short to devote to someone you are not that dedicated to, or to waste time being with someone who is not that dedicated to you. I know it sucks right now but good for the guy for at least being honest, too bad he didn't know/do so sooner so he didn't waste so much of your time and break your heart so badly.
  • YesIAm17
    YesIAm17 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    So many other factors at play here and not just the weight.

When people people online nothing, absolutely nothing, is real until the two people have met. Until people meet the relationship is built on a fantasy of who we think the other people is, that fantasy is based on the other person being at their best in photos, messages and emails. No one is that perfect. He wasn't your soulmate because the relationship was built on fantasy.

The other person doesn't want to hear about issues, sickness or weight gain because it will ruin their fantasy, hell we don't tell them because we don't want to ruin the fantasy either. So the omissions start and probably some fibs and people start to hide who they really are. They start to omit pertinent facts.

Come the meeting, comes big expectations! Fantasy comes crashing down in a screaming heap. The other person is real, warts and all, and they then blame the other person for the loss of the fantasy.

I can understand not being attracted to a bigger person that someone has just met, we are visual creatures and there hasn't been time to develop a relationship.

I would say, that here it was more than just the weight gain, it was also the fact that the person felt deceived because they were expected a slimmer person based on photos that had previously been received. With all that comes reality, the crushing of a fantasy that he had built up in his head.

OP lose the weight if you want to, but do it for you and your own health's sake, move on from him, meet other people, live your live to the best of your ability...and should you develop another long distance relationship...remember its just a fantasy until you meet and have known each other for quite a few months.

I could not disagree with this more. I don't see how online leads to a fantasy anymore than offline. It's already been a cliche forever... people meet offline (bar, club, work, wherever)... put on an act for each other... form false images in their minds about the other... fall in love with those false images/acts... get married and/or move in together... and then months, years, sometimes decades later realize the person "isn't who I thought he/she was".

On the other hand an argument could be made that when 2 people meet online there is less pressure and more of a perceived safety at home behind the keyboard, making it easier for them to truly open up to someone, to really show their true selves, knowing they can simply click away, press delete, etc, if it doesn't work out and never have to deal with that person again.

I think there actually is a possibility (remains to be seen) that someday statistics will show that relationships that start online will be more successful and have a lower divorce rate than those that start offline, we'll see eventually, but it really wouldn't surprise me. I do think eHarmony actually claims that, or something along those lines, already.
  • fificrazy
    fificrazy Posts: 234
    Options
    -
  • tapirfrog
    tapirfrog Posts: 616 Member
    Options

Uh ... congratulations?
  • fificrazy
    fificrazy Posts: 234
    Options
    So many other factors at play here and not just the weight.

When people people online nothing, absolutely nothing, is real until the two people have met. Until people meet the relationship is built on a fantasy of who we think the other people is, that fantasy is based on the other person being at their best in photos, messages and emails. No one is that perfect. He wasn't your soulmate because the relationship was built on fantasy.

The other person doesn't want to hear about issues, sickness or weight gain because it will ruin their fantasy, hell we don't tell them because we don't want to ruin the fantasy either. So the omissions start and probably some fibs and people start to hide who they really are. They start to omit pertinent facts.

Come the meeting, comes big expectations! Fantasy comes crashing down in a screaming heap. The other person is real, warts and all, and they then blame the other person for the loss of the fantasy.

I can understand not being attracted to a bigger person that someone has just met, we are visual creatures and there hasn't been time to develop a relationship.

I would say, that here it was more than just the weight gain, it was also the fact that the person felt deceived because they were expected a slimmer person based on photos that had previously been received. With all that comes reality, the crushing of a fantasy that he had built up in his head.

OP lose the weight if you want to, but do it for you and your own health's sake, move on from him, meet other people, live your live to the best of your ability...and should you develop another long distance relationship...remember its just a fantasy until you meet and have known each other for quite a few months.

Seriously, this. This is so true. I've been talking to a guy online- just friends, online dating is too weird for me- but I've recently just realized he's always presuming things about me, telling me I've said things that I actually haven't, assigning me traits or complimenting me on things no one else who knows me in person ever has. Suddenly I feel like I'm a total fantasy creation. A completely made up person in his head and he's just using my image. In my experience, this online fantasy thing is 100% a real thing.

But even if you two had met in person: all of this over 40 lbs? Seriously? There's got to be something deeper going on with this guy. He tried to lie to you once- who says that wasn't a cover up as well? And then to shift whatever he's feeling onto you? Um, can I just remind you there are 7 billion other people in the world?! Someone's got to be more accepting and kinder than him.
  • hortensehildegarde
    hortensehildegarde Posts: 592 Member
    Options

Uh ... congratulations?

LOL! I am pretty sure that post you have quoted is a joke intended to make a point.
  • Savemyshannon
    Savemyshannon Posts: 334 Member
    Options

Seriously, this. This is so true. I've been talking to a guy online- just friends, online dating is too weird for me- but I've recently just realized he's always presuming things about me, telling me I've said things that I actually haven't, assigning me traits or complimenting me on things no one else who knows me in person ever has. Suddenly I feel like I'm a total fantasy creation. A completely made up person in his head and he's just using my image. In my experience, this online fantasy thing is 100% a real thing.

I think both in person and online, you run the risk of having someone assign you to a specific role in their fantasy. Those first few dates in person, we're on our best behavior and we spend 2 hours in the mirror trying to look perfect, so there's a bit of smoke and mirrors (kind of) to the face to face thing.

I met my last boyfriend online and we were extremely happy and deeply in love. We lived nearby so even though we started 'online' we transitioned seamlessly into 'offline'. We're exes now, but because not because it wasn't a good relationship, but because life circumstances changed and it was no longer a good match at the time, so we mutually split and remain very good friends with a possibility of maybe one day being right for each other again. On the flip side, I've also been in a relationship that started face to face but then slowly found myself learning things about him that I didn't like.

I think it just boils down to there are billions of people in the world, you're going to run into some good ones, and you're going to run into some bad ones. It's unfair to label any one type of relationship more 'real' or better than others. If it makes you happy, and the other person is happy, awesome.
  • NahrasWay
    NahrasWay Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    If he TRULY loved you he would accept you no matter your size. If you are too big for him then that's his problem he's missing out on an awesome person. You can't force someone to love you and you should never have to change yourself in order to get love from someone.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,565 Member
    Options
    He lied when he said he'd love you unconditionally. If that's the case, then if in the future you gain weight say from pregnancy, wouldn't you expect the same response as you've just experienced? And really is that worth it?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • MuseofSong
    MuseofSong Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Sorry it happened, but a couple things I would recommend . . . don't rely on pictures for online dating.

Skype. See the person as they are and let them see you as you are. Skype often, not just when you just got your hair done and your make-up is perfect.

Second this is something you can't help and it's chemistry. A person's being, scent, and your sense of them when they're in the room or next to you, it can't be duplicated online. A kiss is a major way to tell if you can feel that special feeling for someone or not. At least that's how it works for me.

I 100% believe you can meet people online and have wonderful, successful relationships. Family, friends, and co-workers of mine have done just that. But, you have to meet to know if you can click. And you have to be prepared that, no matter how close you feel to someone, until you meet, you just don't know for sure if it's going to work out.

I know I'm cynical but in situations like that I'd hope but never count on it working out. It's great if it does. It hurts a lot when relationships don't work out, but you can't force someone to feel a spark that isn't there.

I've had it happen to me and I've had it happen on my end. He probably is NOT happy about it. He didn't want to hurt you.

I sure felt like a heel when I was the one who couldn't reciprocate feelings for a really great person. I wanted to feel 'the feeling' for them so badly. Super nice guy, treated me great, really, truly cared, but I couldn't be deeply attracted. I just couldn't. That's not my fault; it's my bio-chemical reaction (or lack thereof) to that person. It wasn't because they were fat or skinny or anything else, it just ~was~ and that's all there was to it.

40 lbs shouldn't be a deal breaker unless you advertised yourself as slim, trim, and athletic or only sent fit, non-recent pictures. Something didn't jive and that's the only excuse you have for it, so you fixated on it.

Anyway, I'm sorry you got hurt. :( But, work on your health for you, not him.
  • jboccio90
    jboccio90 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    I know it hurts because it was real to you.

In situations like these where you don't know the person on a face to face level, you start filling in the blanks usually with your preference. I don't doubt you can create relationships online and he probably does care about you and love you to a degree but it is really a gamble to whether it works or not when you finally meet.
  • Booksandbeaches
    Booksandbeaches Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    I don't think he's a jerk or an A-hole. He drove 4 hours to see you. He invested a lot of time in an online relationship with you. He has a right to be attracted to what he's attracted to. That hurts and is unpleasant to hear, but it's his truth. He's not required to be attracted to you if he's not feeling it.

People don't love unconditionally. They just don't. We all have conditions on our love..we want our mate/significant other to bathe, brush their teeth, be appropriately dressed, etc. If your spouse didn't bathe for weeks and stopped brushing their teeth would you still be attracted to them? I'd seriously doubt it.

Soulmates are overrated and something romance novels sell us. Relationships are work. You never instantly have the perfect relationship with anyone. There are so many people we could be attracted to and have a good relationship with. Yes, I ended a sentence with a preposition.. You found one possible person with whom you could be compatible. There are others out there. You just have to find someone else with whom you have a connection.

I also wonder (gently) why you couldn't be honest with him about the weight gain. If your relationship was that strong and so deep surely you could have said something once or better yet many times BEFORE you met. It seems odd that you'd hide this from someone you call your soulmate.

Lose the weight for yourself. Always for yourself. Never for anyone else.
  • ugottafriend
    ugottafriend Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    If a person cannot fully accept you due to you being "too big", they are most definitely not your "soulmate". They are your "weightmate" at best. As painful as it is in the present, you would be doing yourself a favor in the future by writing him off.
  • marvybells
    marvybells Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options

Uh ... congratulations?

LOL! I am pretty sure that post you have quoted is a joke intended to make a point.

i wouldn't be so sure about that. check out her previous posts.
  • rollng_thundr
    rollng_thundr Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    Some people *talk* a good game...

Seriously, use this experience to learn from.. I know it's not easy. But in the long run, it's better you found out NOW than when you fully vested and together.
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,655 Member
    Options
    This really sucks, but honestly? You dodged a bullet.
    This.