Mothers raising the next generation of fat kids

Options

Replies

• jboccio90
    jboccio90 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    At least their children are getting feed as opposed to the thousands of neglected kids that don't even get to eat each day.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    Wow, I must be a terrible mother - I have a pic of my son on my Facebook with Nutella smeared all over his face...

And it's adorable. :flowerforyou:

I had a terrible mother - she NEVER gave me Nutella! I guess that's why I ended up fat and on MFP...

That's how this works, right?

Ohh.. I get it now.. Yep.. It's all my mother's fault that I drank too much and ate too much junk during college..

I think we are all taking what she said out of context. She was talking about little babies, not small kids.

We all have those photos. There is a huge difference from doing It every now and then to every day.

^Thank you. Yes I am talking about little babies (Mostly under the age of one, where there digestive system can not process certain foods as good as older kids) also you can't teach a baby about moderation. You control entirely what goes into there mouths. When they can communicate back and understand than give them the chocolate bar, and teach them that it is ok to have a treat every now and than, but too much could lead to diabetes and obesity.

The fact remains, you are not mother of all the babies. Worry about your own and don't give his impressionable little brain the idea that everything is his business.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    I broke all your "rules" and my kids are a very healthy weight. We are active and if they want to have a snack cake for snack that's fine with me. My mom didn't allow candy or fast food, so as soon as we got our driver's license that's all we ate. Didn't take long for us to become obese.

I can tell which kid in the neighborhood doesn't get treats at home because he cleans our pantry out when he comes to visit. :laugh:
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I once saw someone at a restaurant pour soda into a bottle for their toddler. :sick:
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    166.gif
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options

^Thank you. Yes I am talking about little babies (Mostly under the age of one, where there digestive system can not process certain foods as good as older kids) also you can't teach a baby about moderation. You control entirely what goes into there mouths. When they can communicate back and understand than give them the chocolate bar, and teach them that it is ok to have a treat every now and than, but too much could lead to diabetes and obesity.

If someone is feeding a 10 month old a McDonalds hamburger there is a bigger problem then nutrition. I'm not even sure a baby can chew that food properly. It's actually recommended to give babies noodles, mac and cheese, fries, potatoes, soft cheese, and other soft things, i think even the baby cereal by that point. I would be hard pressed to believe that a parent is feeding a child under the age of one, nothing but those foods you mentioned, esp since I believe they are still drinking formula/breast milk. Also. a chocolate bar would take a baby forever to eat. I remember giving my son one when he was little.. and most of it ended up smeared on his face, the walls and on the floor rather than eaten. I wouldn't (and didn't) give my child soda other then the occasional sips out of my straw along with his kids meal, back when I drank soda. but I wouldn't consider that unhealthy. My son put everything in his mouth.. good luck controlling that. :~p
  • flameh
    flameh Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm not going to side with anyone here...because some kids gain weight differently then others no matter what they eat. Mixing fruit, veggies and sweets isn't bad. Just it's a matter of moderation, the parents who feed it to the kids probably don't over do it as often as people might think. Then there's those people who do. Like my family eats nothing but fast food, where as I eat veggies, fish, fruit and the occasional sweet when I want it. It's all how people moderate food, same goes for children. The mother moderates what they eat. But just because there's a picture on face book about chocolate on a kid's face does not mean that's all the parents give them. That's like saying people are always chubby because they want to be, it might just be there genetics, hormone issues or lack of activity. Some have doctor fixes, others have just activity levels of going out and playing with the children. I'm not saying parents should always give children what they want, we wouldn't be called parents if we did. But look at it from both sides instead of just assuming. Though I do respect your opinion, it is frustrating sometimes to see kids eating that way, I can't even stomach fast food unless I know I'm going to get exercise after eating it and usually I do get up and exercise. Also my brother has diabetes and he only weighs about 90 lbs. So while obese weight can cause diabetes most of the time that may not be the case ^^;; Though I would not agree to giving soda to children under the age of ten...I don't even drink soda and I'm 22. Oops rambling
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Having a rant...

I have a 14 month old son, and have so many friends around me with babies similar age. Everyday I see them posting pics on face book of there babies face covered in chocolate and cake. I am ok with 'kids' having a treat every now and than. But a 'baby' does not need that sort of food in there tiny bodies, and I feel like yelling at these stupid mothers and telling them to stop feeding there kids diabetes. Babies need real foods to help with there growth and development, not junk food. It is just as easy to chop up some banana for a baby for a snack than to just whip out the chocolate bar!
    At this young age it is crucial to start the our children on healthy eating habits.

This only directed at the mums who don't care for there children's health (Which seems to be a lot of them these days). I know there is still so many mum's out there who feed there babies the proper healthy foods.
    Apparently men are incapable of feeding children, in your world?
  • FitOldMomma
    FitOldMomma Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    The great thing about being a parent is you get to decide how to parent YOUR child. But you don't get to decide what others' do.
    In other words: it's none of your business.
    Basing parenting skills on pictures you see on social media is ridiculous.
  • sashadeee
    sashadeee Posts: 8
    Options
    1 in 3 children born after the year 2000 will get early onset diabetes.

That's a lot of kids. Not all of them are overweight. That means in a family of three, one of your kids is going to get diabetes before the age of 30.

Think about this before giving your child sweets.
  • HerkMeOff
    HerkMeOff Posts: 1,002 Member
    Options

There are a lot more causes to getting/having diabetes then having sweets.
  • MizMimi111
    MizMimi111 Posts: 244 Member
    Options

That's a lot of kids. Not all of them are overweight. That means in a family of three, one of your kids is going to get diabetes before the age of 30.

No. It's not about the sweets.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options

Well.. I think this has more to do with what they do to food then sweets themselves. And I believe they already showed the diabetes is not caused by sugar alone. But that's an entirely different topic..

it does bring up an interesting thought though.. how do you control how much sugar/junk your child gets? Do you read all the labels?? do you make sure you're buying things that have no added sugars? it's not the blatant sugar, it's the hidden stuff. How do you know what you are choosing to feed your child is any better then what is given to them at the diner? Unless you make everything from scratch, you're probably not doing much different then anyone else.
  • Carley
    Carley Posts: 88
    Options

Also 30% of American kids are obese. Even more are overweight.

Something to think about.
  • Carley
    Carley Posts: 88
    Options

Well.. I think this has more to do with what they do to food then sweets themselves. And I believe they already showed the diabetes is not caused by sugar alone. But that's an entirely different topic..

it does bring up an interesting thought though.. how do you control how much sugar/junk your child gets? Do you read all the labels?? do you make sure you're buying things that have no added sugars? it's not the blatant sugar, it's the hidden stuff. How do you know what you are choosing to feed your child is any better then what is given to them at the diner? Unless you make everything from scratch, you're probably not doing much different then anyone else.

We need to teach kids how enjoyable making these foods can be then buying them. How much more tasteful, and more pleasing.
  • daubawauba
    daubawauba Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Oh great, just what we need, more mom shame and guilt. Is it any of your business what people feed their kids? I guess I'm a terrible mother. My son had a whole little cake to himself on his first birthday to smash everywhere and eat. I posted photos of it all over Facebook. I also feed him cookies and other treats sometimes. I am such a terrible mom, right? All the healthy, awesome food he eats the rest of the time just doesn't matter. *gasp* I have even let him sip my soda! A tragedy!

You think mothers who feed their babies sweets are stupid. I think mothers who judge other people for petty crap are stupid. To each her own. I feel sorry for your friends who don't know they are being criticized like this for letting their kid enjoy life a little.
  • caesar164
    caesar164 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Should this even be on this forum? Its about its members reaching their goals, not about parenting...
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options

We need to teach kids how enjoyable making these foods can be then buying them. How much more tasteful, and more pleasing.

That's quite an assumption. My mom taught me to cook and bake all sorts of things. I hate doing it and I don't think it tastes better. It isn't that I suck at doing it either. I cook and I teach my kids to cook because it's cheaper and it's a life skill they need to learn.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    Should this even be on this forum? Its about its members reaching their goals, not about parenting...

I wish she'd kept this to her parenting forum where it belonged. Now those places... scary, scary places where the OP would find herself right at home.
  • Lkkiser3
    Lkkiser3 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    My opinion is you can feed your kids just about anything.. as long as you TEACH them healthy habits.. My children eat sweet sugary stuff, but they still know that when we sit down for dinner we will eat our veggies. They understand that its ok to snack but just not too much. and honestly sometimes when you are always talking about eating right and pushing it too hard that can also cause an eating disorder bc it can give them a complex...
This discussion has been closed.