Mothers raising the next generation of fat kids

Options

Replies

• evangelene12
    evangelene12 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Yes i am considered the mean parent because I don't my 'BABY' chocolate and cake and other cr*p like that. I will definitely perfectly fine with him having the odd chocolate bar when he is school aged, and has already ate all his vegies on his plate. And as for the people saying it could only be an every now an than thing on facebook. You are forgetting I am friends with these people, and they put these pics up 'EVERYDAY'! and my son is not under weight, or over weight. He is aloud to eat until he is full, just only healthy foods.

ah your one of those...

My son had cereal and apple sauce before he turned a year old..and apple juice diluted...

He love grilled cheese and chicken fingers and French fries and nuggets growing up...

He is not obese...imagine that...

eating till he's full, why not stop him at satisfied? why wait till he is stuffed? that leads to obesisty and an unhealthy relationship with food, oh btw so does deprivation.

Oh and making him clean his plate...see now we can call you the "clean plate police" which we all know causes issues later in life...

2x your age and raised my own trust me girly you got some stuff to learn...

I agree.

I have a 12 year old daughter and the same could be said about her. Ate reasonable amounts of everything and at a healthy weight and a healthy relationship with food.

I also like to think that I taught my daughter that minding your own business is usually a good thing. Getting on a high horse and talking behind friends' backs? Not so much.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I can't judge without knowing how often it happens. My kids got a cake when they turned one too (didn't eat any of it) and started getting sweets at 2 or something... but I was 'that mom' who bought soda for my kids when they were 2.5. I'm sure I got judged for it... nevermind they only got soda maybe 5 times in their whole life (they're 6 now) and that, well, fruit juice isn't much better if you ask me.

I wouldn't give sweets to a baby (how young are we talking?), but once in a while for a 13 month old... sure, why not. My pet peeve is when people have an overweight child and still buy them soda or fast food all the time. I've seen some seriously overweight kids at my kids school (although really not that many!) and frankly I feel really bad for them... but we don't have the whole story either. It could be the one time a month the kids are getting McDonald's. I know a friend whose kid got heavy because of medicine too... and another has twins who eat the same stuff, one is thin and the other is obese.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    Guess I'm joining the horrible mother group.... is that like the Group W bench?

My 3 kids have all survived growing up with me.

Now I will say I was a young mother as well and thought I knew better than everyone else and did go to the extreme in the beginning with my oldest 2, I made their baby food, blah blah blah... well those 2 the minute they were with anyone else wanted the chocolate and treats. My 2 oldest have had weight issues, which they have both worked on and maintained their losses for over a year.

I got lazier and not so high and mighty with my 3rd daughter, she had treats in moderation, and you know now if you offer her a bowl of fruit or bowl of ice cream... she's strange and will take the fruit. She's never had a weight issue, she's trying to gain about 10 lbs.

So I've done both sides, and luckily I did learn to get off the high horse and let the kids enjoy all the good food in moderation.

You might want to come down from the high horse since as you get older that fall can truly hurt...
  • lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    My son is turning a year old in a month. Am I letting him have a smash cake? You bet your *kitten*. Am I going to feel like a terrible mother? No way in hell. Get off your high horse and stop assuming that a treat every now and then will permanently damage a child.

(By the way, I grew up in a household that let us snack frequently, and it wasn't until I hit middle school and became inactive that I got chubby. Not my parents' fault at all.)
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Wow, I must be a terrible mother - I have a pic of my son on my Facebook with Nutella smeared all over his face...

Mmmm....Nutella...wait, what were we talking about?
  • Lives2Travel
    Lives2Travel Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Am I the only one who finds it hilarious that the OP is ranting about cake when both his picture and his ticker picture prominently feature guns? I suspect his defense would be he plans to teach his kids to treat guns with respect and to only use them responsibly. Perhaps he should consider applying this same wisdom to cake.
  • Collier78
    Collier78 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Me thinks the OP is a first time mother...I have 3 children (13,7,& 1) and I went your route with the 13 year old. Right now I'm fighting with her and constantly finding stashed junk, candy, and even soda in her room. She buys the soda out of a machine at her school and brings it home in her book bag. It has gotten to the point I no longer give her cash, and if she has her own money I regulate it.

Also, for clarification what are we calling a baby? My youngest is 13 months and she will sometimes have tastes of daddy's ice cream or ginger ale, but the kid will put away a helping of brussel sprouts and a shredded hamburger like no bodies business.
  • Collier78
    Collier78 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Am I the only one who finds it hilarious that the OP is ranting about cake when both his picture and his ticker picture prominently feature guns? I suspect his defense would be he plans to teach his kids to treat guns with respect and to only use them responsibly. Perhaps he should consider applying this same wisdom to cake.

So THIS^^ Wish I had seen it before I posted. LOL
  • aliwhalen
    aliwhalen Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    As I tell my kids all the time, worry-bout-yourself2.gif
  • prium01
    prium01 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Everything in moderation should be taught..
  • BigDougie1211
    BigDougie1211 Posts: 3,530 Member
    Options
    I let my son eat whatever he wants. Chocolate, Cakes, Soda, KFC - you name it. But I nurture him, encourage his school work, make sure he has an avctive life.
    His brother I feed very well. Everything in moderation and in appropriately sized portions. However, I also beat him, keep him in the attic and tell him he's worthless.

I'm trying to find out who turns out best.

I'll let you know in about 15 years. .
  • martyqueen52
    martyqueen52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options

First, his profile picture is not a gun. It's a cross-bow (Darryl from Waking Dead), please learn the difference before trying to make a half idiotic argument.

Second, his ticker is the cover of a movie. "Boondock Saints". This in no way, shape, or form shows he is or might be a gun enthusiast.

Perhaps you should apply "wisdom" in general. And I wholly agree with him. I don't want my toddler eating chocolate daily. Birthdays and special occasions are fine. But as a toddler they are growing continually and what goes into their body DOES have an impact on development, despite if you want to realize that or not.... it's fact.
  • lollipoprincess
    lollipoprincess Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    My baby's grandma and grandpa constantly try to give her something. It irritates me to no end. I have to find someone else to babysit because I do not trust them at all. He's been drunk and given her mcdonalds cookies before. I was so pissed.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    My baby's grandma and grandpa constantly try to give her something. It irritates me to no end. I have to find someone else to babysit because I do not trust them at all. He's been drunk and given her mcdonalds cookies before. I was so pissed.

My mom told me that ice cream is great because it's perfect nutrition for kids.
  • Lives2Travel
    Lives2Travel Posts: 682 Member
    Options

First, his profile picture is not a gun. It's a cross-bow (Darryl from Waking Dead), please learn the difference before trying to make a half idiotic argument.

Second, his ticker is the cover of a movie. "Boondock Saints". This in no way, shape, or form shows he is or might be a gun enthusiast.

Perhaps you should apply "wisdom" in general. And I wholly agree with him. I don't want my toddler eating chocolate daily. Birthdays and special occasions are fine. But as a toddler they are growing continually and what goes into their body DOES have an impact on development, despite if you want to realize that or not.... it's fact.

I agree with you that in moderation is fine. The OP rant was based on seeing a slice in time where a baby had something sweet. Unless he lives with that baby on a daily basis, he is assuming the worst and determining that sweets are a daily thing when in fact he has no such knowledge. Clearly, my other post was made tongue in cheek to point out that just like the OP is making assumptions about the parenting of others based on a small piece of evidence that others will do the same about him based on things like ticker pictures.
  • BigDougie1211
    BigDougie1211 Posts: 3,530 Member
    Options
    The original poster is a she.
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    Nice job judging people off of facebook... That seems more of a stupid thing to do than to feed your kid a piece of cake every once in a while. This has to be one of the worst rants I've seen on here.
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    Wow, I must be a terrible mother - I have a pic of my son on my Facebook with Nutella smeared all over his face...

And it's adorable. :flowerforyou:

I had a terrible mother - she NEVER gave me Nutella! I guess that's why I ended up fat and on MFP...

That's how this works, right?

Ohh.. I get it now.. Yep.. It's all my mother's fault that I drank too much and ate too much junk during college..

I think we are all taking what she said out of context. She was talking about little babies, not small kids.

We all have those photos. There is a huge difference from doing It every now and then to every day.

^Thank you. Yes I am talking about little babies (Mostly under the age of one, where there digestive system can not process certain foods as good as older kids) also you can't teach a baby about moderation. You control entirely what goes into there mouths. When they can communicate back and understand than give them the chocolate bar, and teach them that it is ok to have a treat every now and than, but too much could lead to diabetes and obesity.

Oh so you see a lot of 3 moth old babies eating hamburgers, fries, and chicken fingers...right go on tell me more. Me thinks somebody was just trying to make up a rant so they could start a post on here. Backfired a bit though.
  • Jen800
    Jen800 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    A lot of people are going to give you crap for this post, but I completely agree.

I've heard parents YELLING at their children to eat their Mcdonald's fries (or something similar) and pretty much jamming it down their kid's protesting throat.

Why does a baby need to be force fed junk?
This discussion has been closed.