seriously?

Options

Replies

• mandasalem
    mandasalem Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: I love this explanation...from one nerd "snob" to another..LOL
    On a side note, I was displeased with the casting of Rogue in the Xmen movies. She has always been one of my favorites and Anna Paquin was not the best decision either.

Oh, totally. I think I had pushed that out of my mind a bit, because the minute I saw her portrayal, I thought "Yeah, she's not going to be the right chemistry fit for any Gambit worth his salt." Heh. But lucky for her, she was overshadowed by how utterly awful Halle was. Just... awful.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    As A HUGE Gambit fan, I'll try to articulate the displeasure...

From the very first X-Men movie, Gambit was teased as a character, but it never came to fruition. We saw some great casting decisions (Patrick Stewart, Alan Cumming) and some terribad casting decisions (Halle Berry), and we saw three movies pass with no Gambit. Which, really, is just as well-- did I really want the same people who turned the Phoenix storyline into a bad case of PMS casting Gambit? Not really.

But when they finally did it, they did a pretty meh job of it. They went primarily for look, got lazy with the writing, and overall, just did a pretty lackluster job giving him a debut. So I huddled back down and decided that if they couldn't do it right, I'd prefer they just not do it.

So now, they seem to have no particular plan for the character, and are snatching up an actor who has apparently begged for the role-- an actor who hasn't been a shining star in terms of acting talent, and whose roles have all gone along one particular line. Is it plausible he might do a decent job? Sure. But I find it hard to have hope for that, particularly because I straight-up dislike this dude. He's utterly unappealing to me, and while being unappealing, also manages to be completely overexposed because (I admit) tons of people seem to go nuts for him for some reason.

The last part of my hefty sigh is probably a little bit of nerd snobbery. If the people I know who love him are any indication (coworkers, former classmates), they would go just to squeal over Channing Tatum and the character loses any sense of the actual character and just becomes a vehicle for Channing Tatum. And if they pull out gratuitous shirtlessness, I'll probably be forced to heave my $12 popcorn at the screen.

well- expect shirtless. There isn't any way around it I think- and I honestly am not sure why you would be disappointed or suprised- almost any character who is supposed to be in moderate shape- will have their clothes off in a movie. Period. standard par for the course. I personally am not attracted to him that much- he has the dance thing going and as a dancer- men who dance with attitude- HAWT- but his face- meh- not so much- so I'm not even all about that. But I am not stupid- his shirt WILL be off in the movie- gratuitous shower scene? most likely.

BUT- I think you nailed it on the "is this going to be a role" or just a vehicle for Tatum quip.
    He has potential- he has gotten better- (come on GI Joe was the worst piece of trash to come across the screen in a long time- well- Hunger Games gives it a run for it's money- but GI- Joe was so bad I almost walked out of the theater and the only reason I didn't was because I was there with my best friend- Hunger games I actually finished- but was in my room screaming out my TV the WHOLE movie) BUT I digress- he HAS gotten better. Even Magic Mike was a good movie- was it slorey trash? YES- but it was still entertaining to watch. And he did a great job- The Eagle- not terrible and had no dancing at all.
    I agree with this.

I remember people panning Heath Ledger as the Joker, and Michael Keaton as Batman, Tobey McGuire as Spider-man and Anne Hathaway as Catwoman and so on and so on.

Those turned out okay.

Tobey McGuire sucked- none of those movies were good.

Anne Hathaway was mediocre- not sure why everyone raved about her- she looked good in a cat suit- her personality felt off to me for that roll. but yes- I agree- Ledger and Keaton were left fielders who nailed it.

I still think she's not going to do a good job- it takes years to build good muscle- and she didn't have any to start with really- I don't care how tough her face looks in F/Furious- I think it's an awful roll for her.

I'll still watch it at some point though LOL
  • JoRocka
    Options
    On a side note, I was displeased with the casting of Rogue in the Xmen movies. She has always been one of my favorites and Anna Paquin was not the best decision either.

now that you edited this.

are you for fking real?

Anna Paquin makes me want to punch my self in the tiant over and over again.

I cannot sit through ANY movie with her in it- she's the worst actress EVER.

Please tell me that's wrong? I haven't followed closely. I'm going to cry- I fking HATE her.

And I adore Roque. Goddamnit- you seriously ruined my day.
    And now I'm sad
  • LadyGhostDuchess
    LadyGhostDuchess Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    Channing Tatum as Gambit in the new X-Men film? Fml...

He has to be better than the Gambit they had in the X-Men Org. Wolv.
    ha ha ha
    Though they could do better...
  • Grumpsandwich
    Grumpsandwich Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Worst case, I will watch it the same way i did magic mike, on 2x speed with the sound off ;)
  • Collier78
    Collier78 Posts: 811 Member
    Options

are you for fking real?

Please tell me that's wrong? I haven't followed closely. I'm going to cry- I fking HATE her.

And now I'm sad

Simmer down now! I said she was awful..:frown: She played Rogue in the first set of Xmen movies, so she has already been playing the character over the years and it is heartwrenching...

Had to edit to add...please don't punch yourself in the taint...you lift..that could be painful...:flowerforyou:
  • ren_ascent
    ren_ascent Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I don't mind Channing Tatum, but he is going to make a sh*tty gambit.

This...
    No way this is going to work out good, so many other people suitable for the job and then they pick Channing...
    They must have been drunk when selecting him

Or a horny, teenage girl...

I've always thought Sawyer from Lost would be the perfect selection.

I was just deep in thought trying to figure out who WOULD make a good Gambit and you nailed it. Sawyer is perfection for that role. Morons picked Tatum. Nothing against him but he's too pretty to be cool enough to be Gambit.
  • mandasalem
    Options
    well- expect shirtless. There isn't any way around it I think- and I honestly am not sure why you would be disappointed or suprised- almost any character who is supposed to be in moderate shape- will have their clothes off in a movie. Period. standard par for the course. I personally am not attracted to him that much- he has the dance thing going and as a dancer- men who dance with attitude- HAWT- but his face- meh- not so much- so I'm not even all about that. But I am not stupid- his shirt WILL be off in the movie- gratuitous shower scene? most likely.

That's the norm for a lot of movies, but not usually as much with comic movies, unless it "fits" the character. Wolverine's very animalistic, that's his whole deal. There's no shock in seeing him wandering around shirtless or near-nude because it's just kind of who he is. AND he's the main character-- so there's always going to be more intimacy and more of those "guard down' moments that mean less clothes.

But with Gambit, I suspect he's going to be a secondary or tertiary character. If you start pushing the script around to find reasons-- not necessarily in-character reasons-- to get the character's shirt off, then I start getting annoyed. I mean, I love watching Jason Statham walk around shirtless, but even I roll my eyes at the contrivances they use to get him there. Apply that to an established character and canon storyline, and it has the potential to take you out of the movie and back to thinking of him as Channing Tatum and not Gambit. It comes off as fanservice for the folks who are there because of Magic Mike-- and that almost breaks the fourth wall and strains the storyline. And comic movies already have enough of a hard time doing any kind of justice to their source material as it is.

Which, if you think about it, is absurd-- there are so many realities and universes and storylines to pick from that the canon is rich and very, very branched-out, and yet they keep finding new and incredible ways to "wing it" and boff it up entirely. :frown:
  • LadyGhostDuchess
    LadyGhostDuchess Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    Worst case, I will watch it the same way i did magic mike, on 2x speed with the sound off ;)

Oooo. that could be enjoyable HA! :love:
  • JoRocka
    Options

are you for fking real?

And now I'm sad

Simmer down now! I said she was awful..:frown: She played Rogue in the first set of Xmen movies, so she has already been playing the character over the years and it is heartwrenching...

I remember I told me friend and she was like- duh she was in the original.

I forgot.

I seriously hate her that much. Because she's just awful. god.

I know- I'm sad- i'm just even more sad.

I think she's actually become a worse actress since then which is why i have refused to watch anything with her in it and I can't stand watching her - even in older movies.
  • Ihatecoldsoup
    Ihatecoldsoup Posts: 186
    Options

are you for fking real?

And now I'm sad

Hahaha were you unaware that Anna paquin has been rogue since the first X-Men film?
  • AtticWindow
    AtticWindow Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Am I the only one not disappointed by this? He's just so good to look at, and I think he'd make a good Gambit.

Megan Fox is good to look at, but I bet a bunch of women would be pissed if she was in the cast of 50 shades of gray...or a Jane Austen film.

tumblr_inline_n4zt3oQgcQ1qafrh6.gif
  • Collier78
    Options
    As A HUGE Gambit fan, I'll try to articulate the displeasure...

From the very first X-Men movie, Gambit was teased as a character, but it never came to fruition. We saw some great casting decisions (Patrick Stewart, Alan Cumming) and some terribad casting decisions (Halle Berry), and we saw three movies pass with no Gambit. Which, really, is just as well-- did I really want the same people who turned the Phoenix storyline into a bad case of PMS casting Gambit? Not really.

But when they finally did it, they did a pretty meh job of it. They went primarily for look, got lazy with the writing, and overall, just did a pretty lackluster job giving him a debut. So I huddled back down and decided that if they couldn't do it right, I'd prefer they just not do it.

So now, they seem to have no particular plan for the character, and are snatching up an actor who has apparently begged for the role-- an actor who hasn't been a shining star in terms of acting talent, and whose roles have all gone along one particular line. Is it plausible he might do a decent job? Sure. But I find it hard to have hope for that, particularly because I straight-up dislike this dude. He's utterly unappealing to me, and while being unappealing, also manages to be completely overexposed because (I admit) tons of people seem to go nuts for him for some reason.

The last part of my hefty sigh is probably a little bit of nerd snobbery. If the people I know who love him are any indication (coworkers, former classmates), they would go just to squeal over Channing Tatum and the character loses any sense of the actual character and just becomes a vehicle for Channing Tatum. And if they pull out gratuitous shirtlessness, I'll probably be forced to heave my $12 popcorn at the screen.

BUT- I think you nailed it on the "is this going to be a role" or just a vehicle for Tatum quip.
    He has potential- he has gotten better- (come on GI Joe was the worst piece of trash to come across the screen in a long time- well- Hunger Games gives it a run for it's money- but GI- Joe was so bad I almost walked out of the theater and the only reason I didn't was because I was there with my best friend- Hunger games I actually finished- but was in my room screaming out my TV the WHOLE movie) BUT I digress- he HAS gotten better. Even Magic Mike was a good movie- was it slorey trash? YES- but it was still entertaining to watch. And he did a great job- The Eagle- not terrible and had no dancing at all.
    I agree with this.

I remember people panning Heath Ledger as the Joker, and Michael Keaton as Batman, Tobey McGuire as Spider-man and Anne Hathaway as Catwoman and so on and so on.

Those turned out okay.

Tobey McGuire sucked- none of those movies were good.

Anne Hathaway was mediocre- not sure why everyone raved about her- she looked good in a cat suit- her personality felt off to me for that roll. but yes- I agree- Ledger and Keaton were left fielders who nailed it.

I still think she's not going to do a good job- it takes years to build good muscle- and she didn't have any to start with really- I don't care how tough her face looks in F/Furious- I think it's an awful roll for her.

I'll still watch it at some point though LOL

Tobey Maguire was awful..just awful...I just don't even know...

Monsters-Inc.gif
  • Ihatecoldsoup
    Options

ha ha ha

See, I didn't think he did a bad job.
  • Collier78
    Options

are you for fking real?

And now I'm sad

I remember I told me friend and she was like- duh she was in the original.

I forgot.

I seriously hate her that much. Because she's just awful. god.

I know- I'm sad- i'm just even more sad.

I think she's actually become a worse actress since then which is why i have refused to watch anything with her in it and I can't stand watching her - even in older movies.

Yeah she has the personality and presence of a wet towel...
  • JoRocka
    Options

Monsters-Inc.gif

appears we have same taste in awful LOL
    I tried to watch Vampire Diaries- or whatever- True Blood- that's the one she's in.
    Her bad southern accent? it put me over the edge- that was seriously the last straw- she literally I think is the worst actress. Ever.
    Hahaha were you unaware that Anna paquin has been rogue since the first X-Men film?
    yeah- I completely absolutely forgot- I put it out of my mind because I hate her.. I totally forgot. I just I can't stand her that much and I'm seriously sad that she's going to be in the new one.. again.
    I turn anything off that she's in.
  • mandasalem
    Options

Come on, now. A wet towel at least provides you with that moment of glee where you realize you can snap someone in the rear with it. Don't insult wet towels.
  • Collier78
    Options

ha ha ha

I don't think the actor was the problem...they didn't flesh out the character enough...they were just like "Oh look, here's Gambit"...
  • Collier78
    Options

Monsters-Inc.gif

appears we have same taste in awful LOL
    I tried to watch Vampire Diaries- or whatever- True Blood- that's the one she's in.
    Her bad southern accent? it put me over the edge- that was seriously the last straw- she literally I think is the worst actress. Ever.
    yeah- I completely absolutely forgot- I put it out of my mind because I hate her.. I totally forgot. I just I can't stand her that much and I'm seriously sad that she's going to be in the new one.. again.
    I turn anything off that she's in.

Based on previous posts I have seen of yours, I can think of worse people to have awful in common with LOL
  • Ihatecoldsoup
    Options

ha ha ha

I don't think the actor was the problem...they didn't flesh out the character enough...they were just like "Oh look, here's Gambit"...

Why the hell don't they just use him again?