to all the real runners

Options
Capt_Apollo
Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
do you ever find yourself in a conversation with someone who says they run, only to find out that it's only on the treadmill? do you immediately dismiss them as not being a real runner?

i'm not talking about jumping on the treadmill when the weather is too extreme to run outside, or for a warm up to cross/strength train. i mean the people that drive to the gym or go to their basement/garage/spare bedroom to only run on a treadmill 365 days a year.

Replies

• _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    I have a few friends who run 5k's but the bulk of their running on a treadmill either because of convenience(downstairs and they talk to their kids while they run) or joint issues and the road work bothers their joints. Most people I know who run regularly like the road, in part to be outside and also just to get their heads cleared.
  • running4thehigh
    running4thehigh Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    My two cents:

people who exclusively run on treadmills are EXERCISING.

people who run outside are RUNNING and therefore runners.

End of discussion.
    :drinker:
  • looseseal
    looseseal Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    What's wrong with running only on a treadmill? I do that. Not very good at running yet, have had some setbacks. I'm not comfortable running outside yet, that's one of my goals someday. For now? I treadmill it and it's fine. If someone else wants to dismiss that... well they can go right ahead. Don't really care what someone else thinks about it! Everyone is different. By creating a cal deficit and mostly running/incline walking on the I'm down 10lbs so far. Works for me!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I'd never really given it much thought.

I know there are those who think you have to have run a marathon to be a "real runner" , personally I prefer a more inclusive definition - to me it's a state of mind. If you think of yourself as a runner and you actually run (indoors or out) then you're a runner.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Options

I know there are those who think you have to have run a marathon to be a "real runner" , personally I prefer a more inclusive definition - to me it's a state of mind. If you think of yourself as a runner and you actually run ) indoors or out) then you're a runner.

agreed... on the marathon part. i get a lot of people asking me if i'm doing an iron man or a marathon, the holy grails of endurance sports.* when i tell them that i don't have immediate plans for doing either, they look at me funny. like, whats the point then?

*ultra-marathons are dumb.
  • valmaebel
    valmaebel Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't say they are not a runner. To be honest, a runner to me is someone who trains for some form of race...whether it's 5k or marathon. I personally can't run on a treadmill because I find it a kind of torturous hell to go absolutely nowhere. I need to be out there seeing the world and seeing how far I've gone.
    But it's all semantics...to be honest as long as someone is working towards being healthy, I'm happy.
  • running4thehigh
    Options
    By creating a cal deficit and mostly running/incline walking on the I'm down 10lbs so far. Works for me!

Exactly my point. Nothing's wrong with running on a treadmill. It's a great way of exercising! But most of you do it in order to lose weight right? To exercise?

I think runners are runners when they run for the sake of running.

Sure, the benefits of staying fit and maintaining or losing weight are great. But I feel like once that's not the most important thing anymore, that's when you're really a runner. I'm not trying to put anyone down with this statement - but that is what makes the difference to me.
  • SimplySabR
    SimplySabR Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    If you run, you're a runner. I don't think theres any need to further divide...
  • running4thehigh
    Options

*ultra-marathons are dumb.

YOU'RE DUMB. DON'T SAY THAT.

*kidding, you're awesome.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Options

so you're saying that a marathon runner and a person doing three miles on three treadmill are the same?
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options

I know there are those who think you have to have run a marathon to be a "real runner" , personally I prefer a more inclusive definition - to me it's a state of mind. If you think of yourself as a runner and you actually run (indoors or out) then you're a runner.
    This! This! This!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Options

*kidding, you're awesome.

i know
  • running4thehigh
    Options
    why would you even CONSIDER running ONLY on a treadmill?

that's dumb.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options

so you're saying that a marathon runner and a person doing three miles on three treadmill are the same?
    Why not?! Obviously there are WAAAY different skills levels and goals of runners, so why does it have to be so specific?

ETA: I hate deadmill running, but I think if it works for someone then why should it matter?
  • NatalieSkywalker
    NatalieSkywalker Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    For about 6 months I only ran on a treadmill because I liked how easy it was to keep track of my times, speed and distance.
    I had goals which I would re-evaluate when I met them and would time my 5k's etc.
    I now run outdoors about 90% of the time simply for convenience but I don't think that makes me any more of a runner than I was or was not before.
  • runzalot81
    runzalot81 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    do you ever find yourself in a conversation with someone who says they run, only to find out that it's only on the treadmill? do you immediately dismiss them as not being a real runner?
    No, I don't dismiss anyone's running.

I did have a doctor brag to me once about how she ran 13 miles... on the elliptical :noway: It's great that she's exercising but the elliptical machine is not running.

I spent my first six months on a treadmill and then many years doing both treadmill and outside. Now, I only run outside.

Now, there's something real special about rashes, peeing by trees, storing snacks in your clothes, carrying water, spitting, blowing out snot on the move, and needing to poopy only to find you're three miles away from the potty... that's called "an experienced runner." You just can't experience all these special scenarios on a treadmill :drinker:
  • FitnessLover001
    FitnessLover001 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Ehhh I don't know. I think it's based on preferences honestly. I LOVE running outside but hate the treadmills and that's the only cardio machine I will not touch in the gym (I hate them haha). But I know others don't like running outside (I don't understand why, but they just don't), so they choose to do treadmills. I don't say they aren't runners….honestly what pisses me off about the whole "I'm a runner and you're not" is when people think you have to run fast to be considered a runner. I run all the time, but I don't go super fast, my times are like 9:30min and even 10:15min miles and some people won't even consider me a runner, however I can "run/jog" for 8 miles straight without stopping and have reached 12 miles before without stopping. I think if people are doing something healthy, don't knock them down/discourage them by saying what they are doing isn't the correct way because the only thing that isn't correct, is sitting on the couch and not even getting up to try
  • Capt_Apollo
    Options

Why not?! Obviously there are WAAAY different skills levels and goals of runners, so why does it have to be so specific?

ETA: I hate deadmill running, but I think if it works for someone then why should it matter?

i'm not saying it matters. i'm asking if it matters to people.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Options

Now, there's something real special about rashes, peeing by trees, storing snacks in your clothes, carrying water, spitting, blowing out snot on the move, and needing to poopy only to find you're three miles away from the potty... that's called "an experienced runner." You just can't experience all these special scenarios on a treadmill :drinker:

you i like
  • RunnerStephe
    RunnerStephe Posts: 2,195
    Options
    Why does it matter? Do what works for you. I've done an ultra marathon, but that doesn't make me a better runner than someone doing a 5K. Why judge, it's better than being a couch potato. Support everyone trying to improve their health.