to all the real runners

Options

Replies

• Paizzaz
    Paizzaz Posts: 33
    Options
    I used to be a runner. This was back when I was a teen on the cross country team. I loved it. If I didn't go for a run I felt antsy and trapped. Running made me feel free. Perhaps this is why some feel that real runners run outside. It's different now that I've doubled my lifespan. I'm struggling mentally and it doesn't matter if I'm indoors or out. Although I always prefer outdoors I don't think that this is solely what classifies someone as a "runner". I've experienced both mind sets. I'm running so in that sense I'm a runner. But it does not feel the same and I think it's that feeling that is being addressed. I hope by struggling this out I can get there again.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I'd never really given it much thought.

I know there are those who think you have to have run a marathon to be a "real runner" , personally I prefer a more inclusive definition - to me it's a state of mind. If you think of yourself as a runner and you actually run ) indoors or out) then you're a runner.

agreed... on the marathon part. i get a lot of people asking me if i'm doing an iron man or a marathon, the holy grails of endurance sports.* when i tell them that i don't have immediate plans for doing either, they look at me funny. like, whats the point then?

*ultra-marathons are dumb.

I haven't read all the responses here, but I am wondering if you see some hypocrisy. You are saying that treadmill runners are not runners and yet feel judged when you are asked if you are doing an iron man or marathon. Personally, I find the treadmill much easier than running outside, but I am also just starting again, easy is more motivating. I do not, however, consider myself a runner.
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    i've only read the OP, not the rest of the posts, so i hope someone else has said this, but boy is that ****ing arrogant as all hell. I rotate outside running with treadmill running as it's easier on my knees and hips. you come off as an absolute *kitten* calling everyone who runs on the treadmill not a real runner.

bad form, man.
    Maybe you should read the whole thread then.

You come off as an absolute *kitten* for not reading his comment/question properly.
    please, dear, explain what i'm missing.
  • GBrady43068
    GBrady43068 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    Hrm, I run primarily for the weight loss benefits. I run outdoors primarily even if the weather is inclement.

Am I a "real" runner or a "Pinocchio"? (Y' know...only half real) :laugh:

NEVER LIE DURING YOUR RUNS.

You'll have quite the balance issues.
    OK. Though I'm not sure I agree with your premise, at least you have a sense of humour! :flowerforyou: :drinker:
  • RunnerStephe
    RunnerStephe Posts: 2,195
    Options
    do you ever find yourself in a conversation with someone who says they run, only to find out that it's only on the treadmill? do you immediately dismiss them as not being a real runner?

i'm not talking about jumping on the treadmill when the weather is too extreme to run outside, or for a warm up to cross/strength train. i mean the people that drive to the gym or go to their basement/garage/spare bedroom to only run on a treadmill 365 days a year.
    I read all four pages and didn't notice if anyone mentioned this, but maybe someone like me would be uncomfortable running outside due to their size and low fitness level? I mean, when you think of a runner, you imagine someone lean and toned and really graceful as they move.

I've heard plenty of horror stories of people, who are not small, just starting out, getting hateful looks from others, nasty comments being tossed their way, and even having garbage chucked at them while they try to run.

Maybe they feel safer inside on a treadmill in their own home, rather than going outside where people can see them? My husband goes with me on most of my walks, and whenever I jog at all, its with him because I feel safer with him there. If I had a treadmill at home, I'd probably run a lot more on it and as I got smaller, maybe be brave enough to join the "real runners" outside.

I feel like indoors/outdoors, no matter where you do it, if you are always moving at a pace faster than a walk than you can be considered a runner.

There are plenty of over weight runners, we have a local group called the turtles which is mostly over weight people. They are just as fun as any group I've run with, just slower.
  • julianpoutram
    julianpoutram Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I run outside because I enjoy the scenery, the smells, the feel of a gentle spring breeze. I do not enjoy running outside suring the winter months, it is just far too cold. Therefore, I sometimes go inside to run because it keeps me active. I don't think you can call somebody anything in particular or dismiss them as less than you because of the way they do things.

Everybody is different, everybody has different strengths and weaknesses and preferences. If you want to call yourself a runner, sure, go ahead, but it doesn't make any difference in the end. Identify however you like, just try not to judge people on how they decide to exercise, it is just different to how you do it, that's all.
  • MiloBloom83
    MiloBloom83 Posts: 2,723 Member
    Options
    Okay. We're all runners.

But if you have never EVER, EVER run outside....

You're not a REAL runner.

I run inside exclusively. I am a runner. Come at me bro.
    tumblr_li661wuJyz1qzjepo.gif

I might consider running indoors on a treadmill if it was the one right behind you, because, dat azz!
  • BurntCoffee
    BurntCoffee Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I read all four pages and didn't notice if anyone mentioned this, but maybe someone like me would be uncomfortable running outside due to their size and low fitness level? I mean, when you think of a runner, you imagine someone lean and toned and really graceful as they move.

I've heard plenty of horror stories of people, who are not small, just starting out, getting hateful looks from others, nasty comments being tossed their way, and even having garbage chucked at them while they try to run.
    You clearly haven't found your way to the C25K group :) Welcome! And this is a pretty fab read:
    http://flintland.blogspot.fi/2012/05/hey-fat-girl.html

Posted my first run on the C25K group last night! It's a nice place where everyone feels great sharing even the small victories. Hell, I may not be to a 5k yet but I am a whole lot better off than I was when I was on the couch.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options

I know there are those who think you have to have run a marathon to be a "real runner" , personally I prefer a more inclusive definition - to me it's a state of mind. If you think of yourself as a runner and you actually run ) indoors or out) then you're a runner.

agreed... on the marathon part. i get a lot of people asking me if i'm doing an iron man or a marathon, the holy grails of endurance sports.* when i tell them that i don't have immediate plans for doing either, they look at me funny. like, whats the point then?

I haven't read all the responses here, but I am wondering if you see some hypocrisy. You are saying that treadmill runners are not runners and yet feel judged when you are asked if you are doing an iron man or marathon. Personally, I find the treadmill much easier than running outside, but I am also just starting again, easy is more motivating. I do not, however, consider myself a runner.

i actually responded to what i said there about ultra-marathons:
    my apologizes. i added that last line for some comedic flair. one book that i credit getting me really into running was "born to run" by christopher mcdougall. i loved the whole zen aspect of running long distances. in a way, i called ultra-marathons dumb because they are soooooooo out of my comfort zone right now. maybe one day, but probably not.

i thought that maybe the way i wrote that comments with the asterisk and the whole subject matter about endurance events, it would be seen a little tongue in cheek.
  • michellemybelll
    Options
    i've only read the OP, not the rest of the posts, so i hope someone else has said this, but boy is that ****ing arrogant as all hell. I rotate outside running with treadmill running as it's easier on my knees and hips. you come off as an absolute *kitten* calling everyone who runs on the treadmill not a real runner.

bad form, man.

yeah, you should have read the responses, even my own.

no where in my original post am i judging anyone. i am asking if runners that mostly forgo the treadmill judge runners that exclusively use a treadmill.

personally i believe that if you run, you are a runner. however their is a difference in running outside to running indoors, and i advise people to run outdoors as often as they can, especially if they're training for a race.

but i also believe that there are different running communities. so does most of the world, seeing as there are many running events at the olympics. there is not just one medal given out for Running, as there are many short, middle, and long distance events.
    forgive me for assuming a person who asks a question positing that treadmill runners are not real runners backs up this stance himself.
  • RunnerStephe
    RunnerStephe Posts: 2,195
    Options

bad form, man.

no where in my original post am i judging anyone. i am asking if runners that mostly forgo the treadmill judge runners that exclusively use a treadmill.

personally i believe that if you run, you are a runner. however their is a difference in running outside to running indoors, and i advise people to run outdoors as often as they can, especially if they're training for a race.

but i also believe that there are different running communities. so does most of the world, seeing as there are many running events at the olympics. there is not just one medal given out for Running, as there are many short, middle, and long distance events.

Truth!!!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Options

bad form, man.

forgive me for assuming a person who asks a question positing that treadmill runners are not real runners backs up this stance himself.

no worries.

and i didn't say that treadmill runners are not real runners. i asked if people think that.
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options

:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

I plan on doing an ultra next year.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    I might consider running indoors on a treadmill if it was the one right behind you, because, dat azz!

:blushing: Aww shucks :tongue: :wink:
  • Shropshire1959
    Shropshire1959 Posts: 982 Member
    Options

voted #1, as THE most stupid post ever
  • Capt_Apollo
    Options

:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

I plan on doing an ultra next year.

better you than me dude. my knee cringes in pain just reading the words.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    To be honest, a runner to me is someone who trains for some form of race...whether it's 5k or marathon.

Wow! I run 3x a week, anywhere from 5-7K each time, but have yet to train for a race or participate in one. Nor do I want to. I enjoy the run, the neighbourhood, the achievement. I am a runner.
    The above definition is much too exclusive. If you run, you're a runner, regardless of where you run, how far you run or whether you officially enter a race or not.

OP, there was a time when I would not have felt comfortable running outside. It takes time to find what works for each individual and sometimes that's the treadmill.
  • michellemybelll
    Options

bad form, man.

no worries.

and i didn't say that treadmill runners are not real runners. i asked if people think that.
    k. so your thread title itself was just purposely instigating, which makes me conclude we have a troll on our hands.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Options

voted #1, as THE most stupid post ever

the internet hasn't been around that long yet. give it time.
  • Fit_Content
    Fit_Content Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    bump