Women in the weight room

Options

Replies

• frood
    frood Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Am I the only person who *kind* of agrees with the OP? It's a bit distracting and irritating when people go to the gym with the clear intention of getting looks. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but if you wear a sports bra and yoga pants (or as a man, a muscle tee / no shirt) to the gym, you're clearly looking for attention right?
    This is YOUR problem, not that of those with whose outfits you disagree.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    They trollin', they hatin'...

Don't hate cause we can DL and squat more than you AND look fabulous while doing it

LOL..That's mostly likely what is going on here....

What a troll...
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    Does a Squat booty intimidate you, OP?
  • chard_muncher
    chard_muncher Posts: 75 Member
    Options

I don't really understand these type comments. Are you saying that it's a personal failing of mine that I might be somewhat distracted by a nearly naked person of the opposite sex? That seems a little ridiculous. And so is the idea that you can wear whatever you want wherever you want. Clearly there are social norms in place that determine what you wear to work, school, and (yes) the gym.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    I don't understand why guys can't keep their eyeballs off my *kitten* when I work out! Geez!

5d6500dc8ab406d8e8d2f21d3b894ccb.jpg
  • paulawatkins1974
    paulawatkins1974 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    You complained about this? To the front desk? Most straight guys would be in Heaven. Everybody hurry...Put clothes on there's a new guy that's likely a crap disturber.
  • Arydria
    Arydria Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I wear yoga pants because that's what I can afford (and they're comfortable). People who even pay attention to what other people wear most likely have insecurities about their own bodies. I have never seen anyone dress like they are going to the club at the gym and I don't care

What!? So are yoga pants cheaper than a pair of sweats or ball shorts?

In a word... Yes
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options

I don't really understand these type comments. Are you saying that it's a personal failing of mine that I might be somewhat distracted by a nearly naked person of the opposite sex? That seems a little ridiculous. And so is the idea that you can wear whatever you want wherever you want. Clearly there are social norms in place that determine what you wear to work, school, and (yes) the gym.

I rather thought that the social norms included wearing clothing appropriate to your situation and environment...like workout clothes when you work out. It's rather like wearing swimsuits when you go swimming. Do you have the same problem when you go swimming? Are the half-naked girls parading around in their swimsuits too much for you?
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    <<<<<< A few hours early, but since butts in yoga pants are apparently offensive :tongue: . What can I say, I like offending people.
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    <<<<<< A few hours early, but since butts in yoga pants are apparently offensive :tongue: . What can I say, I like offending people.

*high five* for da booties!!
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    Am I the only person who *kind* of agrees with the OP? It's a bit distracting and irritating when people go to the gym with the clear intention of getting looks. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but if you wear a sports bra and yoga pants (or as a man, a muscle tee / no shirt) to the gym, you're clearly looking for attention right?

I certainly wouldn't go to the front office and complain. I have enough of a grasp on current social norms to understand that yoga pants and sports bras are allowed at gyms. But, I'm also entitled to my own opinion on the people who wear them there.

And just to clarify, I don't take any issue with people flaunting what they've got (in appropriate settings). For example, the beach or the club. But to me, the gym is closer to a work setting than the beach. People are there to focus and work hard, and I think it's a little selfish to go with the intention of distracting them (that is the goal after all, focusing other people's attention on yourself).

I'm sure I'll get a bit of flak for my opinion, but hey that's what opinions are for. And just to head off the people asking "so what do you recommend, a burka?" I will say this: a t-shirt (form fitting or not) and a pair of snug but not form fitting shorts. That's my dress code at the gym anyways.

I hate it when my clothes bunch up on me. If I'm doing planks, I don't like my top falling forward and giving full view up and down my shirt. If I'm boxing, I hate having my shirt flopping around on me. I prefer tanks because I get hot. and I don't like being hot. I tend to wear yoga pants because a) I can find them in my size (36" inseam) b) they don't chafe or ride up when I run and c) they hide my scarred up shins.

Do I like form fitting clothes. YES I DO.

Will I wear baggy because I think that YOU don't approve, or worry that YOU feel that I'm doing it for attention? Um... No. Not at all.

Think what you want about me. I could care less.
  • eslcity
    eslcity Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    At the gym I go to in Korea... we have only a few of what I would call fashion queens at the gym...(Since the gym offers workout clothing) I personally don't care what most women dress like at the gym.. However, i hate the fashion models with make-up and perfume... that come to the gym and don't workout... just stand around and do stretching and talking on the phone...

I hate anyone that comes to the gym and doesn't come to sweat... man, woman, child... (teenager)..

PicknessFirst02.jpeg
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    You do realize you have to be an adult and function around women regardless of what they are wearing.

Not sure why a woman needs to dress in a manner that means you don't' get an erection. Are you expecting perhaps a burka?

You're responsible for your body. She isn't. Stop expecting women to change for your short comings.

I was actually rather disgusted by the whole thing, not aroused. I no longer find rail-thin college girls to be all that attractive. I was fine ignoring them until they come and deadlift right in front of the bench I am using, that's just kind of rude I think.

On a side note I also saw a large (muscular) male (who turned out to be a local law enforcement officer) do the same thing to some guy at this same gym, after he saw this guy watching and making fun of the girls in a zumba class. I thought it was rude then too.

Why disgusted? And what do you mean, "I no longer find rail-thin college girls to be all that attractive'? Are you judging attractiveness based on fat? Oh no no, Sir, you're getting yourself in for big trouble. What if they had curves? Would that be less disgusting? People 'make fun of' and 'are disgusted by' things that touch a part of them they are not comfortable with. Go check that out.

Alright, you know I'm just sick of people doing straight legged deadlifts right in front of me, whether its skinny minnie sorority girl or some big male law enforcement officer, I just don't appreciate it!

This just in...nobody cares!
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    I will stop wearing yoga pants to the gym when i am 6 ft under! :laugh:
  • RockWarrior84
    RockWarrior84 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    I think the OP is worried about trying to impress and hurting himself doing too much weight.
  • frood
    frood Posts: 295 Member
    Options

Different people will find different things distracting. You don't get to tell people to change to suit you; you get to learn to live with it.
  • paulawatkins1974
    paulawatkins1974 Posts: 720 Member
    Options

Unrelated but MY you look INCREDIBLE! Inspirational! :flowerforyou:

Thank You! I have worked awfully hard these last three years.
    um...
  • InevitableButterfly
    InevitableButterfly Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Now how am I supposed to get in a good workout in with these type of girls doing straight legged deadlifts right in front of me?

Uhm, how about you just do what you went there to do and stop looking at the women. You are, or should be, in control of your own thoughts and actions!
    Why do women come into the weight room dressed like that?

Because we can. It's not for you. It's for us and it's comfortable.
    I complained to the front desk attendant (management wasn't in yet), but the desk girl (who was wearing tight yoga pants btw) said that these girls weren't in violation of any rules.

Too bad that's all she said. She should have let you have it for being an *kitten* who apparently thinks just because he's distracted by women that the women need to change what they're doing.
    Do you agree that there should be some kind of dress code against this in a public gym?

No. Why? Because #YesAllWomen are not at fault for your distraction. It's not up to women to keep you from being distracted. It's up to you to control your own mind and body. So do it.

This post is another great example of why #YesAllWomen is such a necessary thing.

Hey OP and everyone commenting in his favour, you should browse this:

https://twitter.com/hashtag/YesAllWomen?src=hash