Women in the weight room

Options

Replies

• mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    Am I the only person who *kind* of agrees with the OP? It's a bit distracting and irritating when people go to the gym with the clear intention of getting looks. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but if you wear a sports bra and yoga pants (or as a man, a muscle tee / no shirt) to the gym, you're clearly looking for attention right?

I certainly wouldn't go to the front office and complain. I have enough of a grasp on current social norms to understand that yoga pants and sports bras are allowed at gyms. But, I'm also entitled to my own opinion on the people who wear them there.

And just to clarify, I don't take any issue with people flaunting what they've got (in appropriate settings). For example, the beach or the club. But to me, the gym is closer to a work setting than the beach. People are there to focus and work hard, and I think it's a little selfish to go with the intention of distracting them (that is the goal after all, focusing other people's attention on yourself).

I'm sure I'll get a bit of flak for my opinion, but hey that's what opinions are for. And just to head off the people asking "so what do you recommend, a burka?" I will say this: a t-shirt (form fitting or not) and a pair of snug but not form fitting shorts. That's my dress code at the gym anyways.

I hate it when my clothes bunch up on me. If I'm doing planks, I don't like my top falling forward and giving full view up and down my shirt. If I'm boxing, I hate having my shirt flopping around on me. I prefer tanks because I get hot. and I don't like being hot. I tend to wear yoga pants because a) I can find them in my size (36" inseam) b) they don't chafe or ride up when I run and c) they hide my scarred up shins.

Do I like form fitting clothes. YES I DO.

Will I wear baggy because I think that YOU don't approve, or worry that YOU feel that I'm doing it for attention? Um... No. Not at all.

Think what you want about me. I could care less.

Yep, this.

I wear what is comfortable to work out in when I go to the gym. It happens to be yoga pants and a tank top. I don't do it to show off. I do it for comfort - I get hot quite easily and I don't like baggy clothes getting in the way when I'm lifting. Have a problem with the way I'm dressed? Then don't stare at me (yes, you may SEE me, but it's your choice whether you stare or not).
  • frood
    frood Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    InevitableButterfly: +1
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    So... Wait... If you wear yoga pants outside of the gym, you're letting yourself go...

But if you wear them IN the gym... You're an attention seeker...

So when is it appropriate to wear them???

I am so glad I don't care about appropriate! I wear those suckers EVERYWHERE!
  • FireOpalCO
    FireOpalCO Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    I don't really understand these type comments. Are you saying that it's a personal failing of mine that I might be somewhat distracted by a nearly naked person of the opposite sex? That seems a little ridiculous. And so is the idea that you can wear whatever you want wherever you want. Clearly there are social norms in place that determine what you wear to work, school, and (yes) the gym.

Make up your mind.

Are you attracted to these young women or not?

I'll make you a deal. You walk around your gym before each workout and have every heterosexual female and homosexual male present sign off saying they are okay with your outfit and it is neither too distracting or unflattering. Make sure you stop and run up to anyone who comes into the gym while you are mid-workout so you also get his/her opinion. You do that, and we might let you have a say on what the women wear. No wait, we won't. Because we aren't @#$ here for your @#$ amusement.

/If it was really about the rudeness of the deadlifts, you wouldn't have spent almost all of the first post describing their clothes.
  • f1redshoes
    f1redshoes Posts: 79
    Options
    To the OP: in dance classes and rehearsals, I dance in hot pants and a sports bra half the time. At gymnastics, leotard and only-just-longer-than-hot-pants shorts. It's important to wear little in those situations so that the teacher/coach can see my form and technique clearly and can make corrections, and I would wear them even if it wasn't because it gets hot as all hell working that hard and it isn't comfortable or safe to wear loose clothing. But I suppose if you came to my classes or training sessions, you'd hand me sweatpants and an oversized shirt in case I "distracted" you, right? I mean, who cares if my baggy t-shirt tangles in the uneven bars or if I pass out from the heat, as long as I don't distract some guy who thinks my clothing is any of his business?
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Trololololol :laugh:
  • transatlanticsm
    transatlanticsm Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    You have got to be kidding me
  • molonlabe762
    molonlabe762 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Shouldnt being surounded by good looking women just motivate you to work harder?
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    So... Wait... If you wear yoga pants outside of the gym, you're letting yourself go...

But if you wear them IN the gym... You're an attention seeker...

So when is it appropriate to wear them???

I am so glad I don't care about appropriate! I wear those suckers EVERYWHERE!

me too!!!!
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options

Please take your ignorance elsewhere.

Actually this was my question, you didn't need to take part.

Once again…

Too bad you have NO say in what women wear or who comments in your PUBLIC forum post. :bigsmile:

I don't mind if you post here. Its just that you put yourself here in this thread, which I created, in the midst of my 'ignorance' and then asked ME to leave because you disagreed with my opinion. Its just curious to me why you didn't just stay away, that's all.

I think you need to worry less about other people in the gym (i.e. what they are wearing, if they are doing exercises in front of you, their body type, etc) and focus on you. I think the reason you don't look like you spend the amount of time you do in the gym is because you're too busy concentrating on everything else EXCEPT your work outs.
  • RaggedyPond
    RaggedyPond Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    As a girl who deadlifts in yoga pants... your welcome.
  • paulawatkins1974
    paulawatkins1974 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

Alright, you know I'm just sick of people doing straight legged deadlifts right in front of me, whether its skinny minnie sorority girl or some big male law enforcement officer, I just don't appreciate it!
    [/quote]
    Might I suggest you invest in a home gym. deadlifting is what people do there. The gym is not just for your use.
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Lots of fish biting today, it seems.

OP's a troll.
  • molonlabe762
    molonlabe762 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Stop staring at everyone's *kitten* and it would not disgust you.

This is often easier said than done...

sexy-yoga-pants-gif-37.gif

DGBKateBeckinsale.gif

mrw-i-see-yoga-pants-season-has-started--38502.gif

LOL
  • eslcity
    eslcity Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    yogapants.jpeg

saw this and had to post...
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member