Need to Lose 100 LBS -Robins Thread !

Options

Replies

• kah68
    kah68 Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    @Laurie~Great workout yesterday! Hopefully, I’ll know about NYC soon—as of last week my friend’s vacation was approved for the cruise, she has another set of approvals to go thru though. Geez!

@Tanya~Hope your run goes well today. I have an iPhone with a Life Proof case; I carry it in my bra when I run outside. :laugh: Those arm cases bother me and because of the type of case I have, it won’t fit in them.

@Hansea~I wish I could find headbands that stay in my hair, I have this crazy curly (and super soft) hair so they always slide off. I did find some great shirts by Columbia recently—Zero Freeze—expensive but worth it, they definitely keep the sweat off you, dry quickly and don’t weigh you down like cotton t-shirts do. :love: them!

@Nettie~Sorry about the miscommunication from the district and your headache, I hope today is a better day.

AFM~Saw my trainer last night, had a decent session in his studio—we’re still getting our footing there. Of course, we did mostly lower body stuff but found ways to use my left hand without using my thumb so was able to get some core work in. He stretched me out afterwards, reminding me that I really need a massage! The good news is that this morning I was able to lift my phone with the tip of my thumb—still can’t hold stuff but its progress. :tongue:

My Wednesday Wish is that my annual review at work brings the promotion and raise I was promised a year ago—somehow I think that won’t come true since they froze salaries for the year and he is waiting until the 11th hour. :explode:

May Mileage:

5/1/14—3.11mi
    5/2/14—3.64mi
    5/3/14—1.92mi
    5/4/14—4.42mi
    5/5/14—2.89mi
    5/6/14—3.74mi
    5/7/14—3.15mi
    5/8/14—3.05mi
    5/9/14—3.50mi
    5/10/14—1.48mi
    5/11/14—4.62mi
    5/12/14—2.75mi
    5/13/14—3.18mi
    5/14/14—4.62mi
    5/15/14—3.62mi
    5/16/14—3.59mi
    5/17/14—1.95mi
    5/18/14—6.04mi
    5/19/14—5.28mi
    5/20/14—3.56mi
    5/21/14—3.37mi
    5/22/14--3.69mi
    5/23/14--.42mi (abysmal, Fitbit was charging and at doc in afternoon)
    5/24/14--3.31mi
    5/25/14--4.85mi
    5/26/14--.93mi
    5/27/14—4.39mi

Total Miles: 91.07 Miles
  • kah68
    Options
    Do y'all count just the miles that you're walking for exercise, or are you counting total miles with something like a pedometer and such?

I count miles tracked by my Fitbit.
  • Lives2Travel
    Lives2Travel Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Fitbit people...... I need help. I looked online and I can get a Fit Bit zip for $ 46.06 or a decent pedometer for $15 - $30. I know the Zip doesn't track your sleep (which I don't want since it'll just stress me out about my nightly tossing and turning), but what else will I miss with a Zip versus the other Fit Bits? And what will I gain over a Pedometer? I know Fit Bit will sync with MFP somehow, but is that something you can elect to do some days and not others?

I plan to continue to use Map My Walk when I walk for exercise, but need a way to track mileage when I'm walking on vacation or at times I don't want to carry my iPhone.

Words of wisdom will be much appreciated!
  • kah68
    Options
    Fitbit people...... I need help. I looked online and I can get a Fit Bit zip for $ 46.06 or a decent pedometer for $15 - $30. I know the Zip doesn't track your sleep (which I don't want since it'll just stress me out about my nightly tossing and turning), but what else will I miss with a Zip versus the other Fit Bits? And what will I gain over a Pedometer? I know Fit Bit will sync with MFP somehow, but is that something you can elect to do some days and not others?

I plan to continue to use Map My Walk when I walk for exercise, but need a way to track mileage when I'm walking on vacation or at times I don't want to carry my iPhone.

@L2T~I have the Flex and rarely use it to track my sleep (mostly because I forget to put it in sleep mode), so it isn’t required. The Zip has a display (unlike the Flex) and tracks steps/miles similar to the Flex, One and Force—not sure if it tracks stairs climbed though (I know the Flex doesn’t). You can elect for MFP to sync with Fitbit but you don’t have to let it adjust your Fitbit calories based on activity—otherwise, I don’t think it matters whether or not you have it sync with MFP consistently. But to have it sync with MFP some days and not others would require you to turn that option on/off all the time on MFP—that might get annoying. IMO Fitbit devices are more accurate than a pedometer.
  • aimeemarie150
    aimeemarie150 Posts: 354 Member
    Options

I don't use mine to track sleep either. (I have a flex). I don't even have my flex synced to MFP anymore because it bothered be with the calorie adjustments. I vote HRM or a standard pedometer, but that's just me.
  • Morgori
    Morgori Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    Good morning all.

L2T- I have a fitbit ultra which is old and they do not sell any more. I have it sync’ed to Microsoft Healthvault, MFP, and Walgreens Balance Rewards. Mine is getting pretty beat up so I am planning on getting another one. I’ll probably get the Fitbit One this time. I have two hard years on my Ultra and it will need to be replaced soon. I do use mine to track sleep because I have sleep apnea. The link below is for the Fitbit comparison. You will have to copy it and paste it into your web browser address bar.

https://www.fitbit.com/comparison/trackers

PC- I am counting all my Fitbit miles for the challenge.

527_zps1df064af.jpg

“Processed foods not only extend the shelf life, but they extend the waistline as well.” ~Karen Sessions

Tom
  • RobinsEgg
    RobinsEgg Posts: 3,702 Member
    Options
    Hi Laurie = Here is an update on my miles. I have estimated my miles through the end of the month and I am sure I will not exceed my estimation since I'm still on activity restriction til June 2nd, so go with these figures. I know I didn't reach my goal of 30 miles but I don't mind. I am also going to have the goal of 30 miles in June but really hope to surpass it in June.

5/22 = ½ mile
    5/23 = 1 mile
    5/24 = 1 mile
    5/25 = ½ mile
    5/26 = ½ mile
    5/27 = ½ mile
    5/28 = ½ mile
    5/29 = ½ mile
    5/30 = ½ mile
    5/31 = ½ mile

Laurie - in answer to your question - how long will I be on steroids, the answer is sort of crazy. I have 3 docs prescribing them. One for my Rheumatoid disease which is supposed to disappear in another 2 years, so he'll stop that when the symptoms stop. One prescribes an oral inhaled steroid for my asthma and that will never stop. The third is from my surgeon that I swish thru the cavity in my head, that will likely go on for 3 months to a year, depending on the swiftness of my recovery. So its a crapshoot when the bruising gets better. :laugh: :laugh: :bigsmile:
  • mnwalkingqueen
    mnwalkingqueen Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    Happy Hump Day.....Wed wish is that life would stop going by so fast.
  • RobinsEgg
    Options
    READ THIS AND TELL ME WHO THE ORIGINAL WRITER OF THIS POST WAS - I WANT TO GIVE CREDIT TO THEM - AND USE THIS OFTEN - I THINK ITS EXCELLENT - THANKS SO MUCH FOR WRITING IT. ROBIN :heart: :bigsmile: :heart:

- A dietitian could be a help, but I'd make one suggestion before you go. Make a list of what you will and will not do to get to your goal. I did this when I first started. I had 3 columns: WILL, WILL NOT and LATER.

I was brutally honest with myself when I made this list. Cooking from scratch or following a specific diet plan that meant I had to cook was firmly in the WILL NOT column. Also in that column was "Quit eating out." After cooking for a family for 30+ years, I am over it and knew I would need to rely on prepared foods for dinners. The WILL column contained things like "staying within a daily calorie goal". Exercise was in the LATER column. Based on this list, I came up with an eating plan that I felt would be sustainable for me. IMO, that's what you should focus on if you meet with a dietitian. Don't let them design a plan based on what a perfect diet looks like. Help them design a plan that is perfect for YOU.
  • yogini2013
    yogini2013 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    bump :smile:
  • RobinsEgg
    Options
    This is a question about shoes. ASICS GEL NIMBUS are on sale today and tomorrow and I'm interested and need new tennies badly. BUT I am just a walker, not a runner I am even a very slow walker. Does anyone have any advice as far as if these shoes are OK for me?
    Does the weight of the shoe matter? These weigh 9.8 oz and on-line there is another shoe, but more expensive that weighs 8.8 oz.
    Heck, I am just confusing myself at THIS point.

Kaye - I''ve wondered what type of shoes you walk in - you've obviouusly been very successful and you're not a runner.

Many of you however have praised Asics, and I've worn Asics before and they're shape does fit my foot better than most of the other brands I've come across especially Nike does not fit me ever.
  • FeraFilia
    FeraFilia Posts: 4,664 Member
    Options
    You guys seem so happy and active and fun here. I want to come play. I'll wear the next newbie hat. :)
  • schnicklefritz1
    schnicklefritz1 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone....I would assume that there will be a June challenge like the May one of miles? I just found this group today and would like to follow along. Long term goal right now....110 pounds to lose to get me back to high school weight. I am 270 and would love to be back at 160. I am really struggling right now...have not been moving much, but I have logged everything that goes in my mouth since last Monday...so for like 10 days. The good the bad and the ugly. I stress ate yesterday and at so far over my calorie goal the computer smacked me. Yikes...it was a bad day.

Anyway....Will be taggin along and creepin on the board if that's okay. Hoping to find some support and wisdom. Happy Hump day to you all.
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options
    Welcome Schnickle - Is that a Morgan in your profile pic?
  • RobinB0812
    RobinB0812 Posts: 236 Member
    Options

I have the Zip and I love it! I like that it syncs with MFP. It does not track sleep or stairs and for me, that's ok. I have zero exposure to stairs (live in a ground floor apt and work in a single level building) and like Kelley said, the sleep monitor would only have me tossing and turning with stress over getting enough sleep. But even though it does not track sleep, I still wear it to bed for no other reason but to track the steps I take if/when I get up to go to the bathroom! :laugh:
    I really wanted to get the Force (they discontinued it) or the Flex, but when I really examined what I NEEDED vs what I WANTED, I realized that it wasn't worth the extra $50 just to have a wristband instead of the "clip on" Zip.

ETA: Oh yeah, worth noting, I've heard that the divices that track stairs only track the stairs you CLIMB and not the ones you descend. I believe I read it on one of the Fitbit message boards. This person was running the bleachers of a high school stadium and was only getting credit for her flights up and not down so essentially only getting credit for half her workout.
  • schnicklefritz1
    schnicklefritz1 Posts: 130 Member
    Options

I have the Fitbit One and love it. I do not track my sleep with it as it is always attached to my belt or in my pocket and I just don't hit the sleep button. With having said that, I get up several times a night to go to the rest room (age) and walk the dogs (also age..lol) and I am sure it would holler at me for lack of sleep. ( I am aware I don't get enough sleep, I don't need the Fitbit telling me that too ) I LOVE my Fitbit One and the fact that it tracks not only my steps but also flights of stairs and with the fact that it tracks to my phone...I LOVE IT. I researched all of the different fitbits and just as I was about to get the Flex...I found several posts where the pant/pocket ones were more accurate, so I did not buy a new one. Did I say I love my Fitbit One? LOL It also has a display screen to show the number of steps etc. and has about a two week charge, depending on how much you look at it.

Good luck no matter what decision you make!!!
  • FeraFilia
    FeraFilia Posts: 4,664 Member
    Options

I have the Fitbit One and love it. I do not track my sleep with it as it is always attached to my belt or in my pocket and I just don't hit the sleep button. With having said that, I get up several times a night to go to the rest room (age) and walk the dogs (also age..lol) and I am sure it would holler at me for lack of sleep. ( I am aware I don't get enough sleep, I don't need the Fitbit telling me that too ) I LOVE my Fitbit One and the fact that it tracks not only my steps but also flights of stairs and with the fact that it tracks to my phone...I LOVE IT. I researched all of the different fitbits and just as I was about to get the Flex...I found several posts where the pant/pocket ones were more accurate, so I did not buy a new one. Did I say I love my Fitbit One? LOL It also has a display screen to show the number of steps etc. and has about a two week charge, depending on how much you look at it.

Good luck no matter what decision you make!!!

Thank you for posting this! I've been looking at getting a FitbitOne and love to hear about people seeing good results with it. :)
  • PaintedCavalry
    Options
    This is a question about shoes. ASICS GEL NIMBUS are on sale today and tomorrow and I'm interested and need new tennies badly. BUT I am just a walker, not a runner I am even a very slow walker. Does anyone have any advice as far as if these shoes are OK for me?
    Does the weight of the shoe matter? These weigh 9.8 oz and on-line there is another shoe, but more expensive that weighs 8.8 oz.
    Heck, I am just confusing myself at THIS point.

Kaye - I''ve wondered what type of shoes you walk in - you've obviouusly been very successful and you're not a runner.

Many of you however have praised Asics, and I've worn Asics before and they're shape does fit my foot better than most of the other brands I've come across especially Nike does not fit me ever.

Personally after I started walking/running more seriously than a few miles at a time I found that shoes which had always been comfortable to me (New Balance) weren't as comfortable after a few miles. Especially once I started Crossfit and began pounding pavement a lot more. It wasn't cheap, but I went to the local running store and got fitted for a pair of shoes. I was wearing shoes at least 1/2 size too small (but didn't feel small when wearing them) for running and I needed a very neutral shoes since I am a neutral runner. They put me in Brooks Glycerin 11 (around $150). Shin splints no longer occurred and the back problems I was having while walking and running disappeared. My feet were no longer killing me either. Even walking is much more comfortable and I never really knew the difference the right pair of shoes would make.

So if I were you, I'd look in to getting fitted for a new pair of shoes, even if you're just walking. They can certainly help make sure you find a shoe that fits your needs and your foot.
  • Lives2Travel
    Lives2Travel Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    @kah, @aimeemarie, @morgori, @robinb, @schnickle - Thank you all for the info and advise on FitBits. I've decided on the Zip since it's reasonably priced and I don't need much of the additional functionality in the more expensive models. I think I'll stick with not having it report to MFP, but will just add in the mileage when I'm on vacation and don't do any formal exercising. Seems like a good compromise.
  • mzfrizz15
    mzfrizz15 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Howdy all! New person jumping in! Feeling a bit relieved that I'm not the only one in this boat. Have been fat nearly all of my life, needing to drop 150 lbs to get to a "healthy" range BMI.

I scanned the first post of the thread, so my Wednesday wish: For once in my life, I'd love to actually LIKE what I see in the mirror.