Bread ... What is a healthier substitute?

Options

Replies

• k_nicole87
    k_nicole87 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    [/quote]
    More and more people are eliminating bread from their diet
    [/quote]

Because they are misinformed.
  • eddiesmith1
    eddiesmith1 Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    Grind up cauliflower so it has the consistency of flour, add an egg and a little water to make a dough and bake it. Delicious!
    hahahahaha ROFLMFAO
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

Actually, no. People just don't want the extra calories or carbs. Not to mention the fact that more and more people are being diagnosed with Celiac and gluten/wheat allergies.
  • k_nicole87
    Options
    Just eat the bread!!!! Goood gracious!!!......and we wonder why people have eating disorders!!!

LOL, I guess I have an eating disorder because I don't eat bread :laugh:

You clearly cannot think and rationalize correctly. It is very clear that the point of the ED statement was to say that we, as a society, have all of these fantastical ideas about what does and does not cause weight loss. People become so obsessed with these ideals that they (some people) form eating disorders. It is an unhealthy obsession to eliminate what you like from your diet and can lead to extreme diets.

Can you comprehend?
  • wbaehr
    wbaehr Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    If you dig bread try p28 bread, it is actually pretty good. My friend's store carries it and he recommended it to me because I am a diabetic. They have bagels, flat breads, & regular bread. Higher protein and better carbs.
  • k_nicole87
    Options

[/quote]

Actually, no. People just don't want the extra calories or carbs. Not to mention the fact that more and more people are being diagnosed with Celiac and gluten/wheat allergies.
    [/quote]

We are not talking about people with allergies. I have cut down on the amount of bread I eat for caloric reasons but I will not eliminate bread because....I like it! And it doesn't make you fat. Eating above calories does. I choose to spend the majority of my calories on other things but if I want bread, some plant or hill folk grain substance is not going to cut it.
  • MrTolerable
    MrTolerable Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    I wrap my normal sandwich stuff in a big lettuce leaf. Works for tacos, burgers, sandwiches, etc.

Please stop with the silliness, that is not an adequate substitute

^ I lolz @ you both.
  • MrTolerable
    MrTolerable Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options

[/quote]

We are not talking about people with allergies. I have cut down on the amount of bread I eat for caloric reasons but I will not eliminate bread because....I like it! And it doesn't make you fat. Eating above calories does. I choose to spend the majority of my calories on other things but if I want bread, some plant or hill folk grain substance is not going to cut it.
    [/quote]

I don't eat bread and I don't have a any of those problems.. Bread is just waist of carbs.. I'd rather get them from protein, veggies, nuts, or fruit.... and basically that order.
  • k_nicole87
    Options
    Just eat the bread!!!! Goood gracious!!!......and we wonder why people have eating disorders!!!

You clearly cannot think and rationalize correctly. It is very clear that the point of the ED statement was to say that we, as a society, have all of these fantastical ideas about what does and does not cause weight loss. People become so obsessed with these ideals that they (some people) form eating disorders. It is an unhealthy obsession to eliminate what you like from your diet and can lead to extreme diets.

Can you comprehend?

Is removing one food from your diet really that extreme?

If you have mental health issues regarding food it can be. It can become an obsession in some. Not most, some. I was explaining the purpose of the ED statement that whoever said.
  • kirstiejess
    kirstiejess Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    With only reading 3 pages of the replies i have recieved, i have to say that some people are down right rude!!

I did not ask to be judged and neither is it right for people to reply to others the way they have; opinions are opinions.

My main reason for attempting to avoid bread is simply because i am trying to cut down my calorie intake and even though it is nice, it does bloat me; so was looking for more of a variety.

Please, if you have nothing nice to say, simply dont say it!!
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    Try gluten free bread.

...reason being?
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    Try gluten free bread.

Yayyyyy! start your engines...!
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    Options

Can you comprehend?

Do you have manners?
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    I don't have a substitute, but when I buy/eat it, I buy unbromated (flour) like Pepperidge Farm.

Awwwww, I forgot about Pepperige Farms. Is that why their bread is sooooo fking good? I always wanted to know....thank you for that!
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Dark rye bread, especially the Russian kind. I particularly love "borodinsky", a sourdough bread. It's so rich one slice keeps you full for hours!

Russian-borodinsky.jpg
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    Options
    With only reading 3 pages of the replies i have recieved, i have to say that some people are down right rude!!

I did not ask to be judged and neither is it right for people to reply to others the way they have; opinions are opinions.

My main reason for attempting to avoid bread is simply because i am trying to cut down my calorie intake and even though it is nice, it does bloat me; so was looking for more of a variety.

Please, if you have nothing nice to say, simply dont say it!!

If you get bloated from bread, you might have a sensitivity to gluten.

If you'd like, you can try gluten free bread or gluten free wraps and see if that eliminates some of your bloating. I prefer Udi's gluten free bread. But I don't eat any gluten free bread anymore.

Otherwise, I would stick to low carb wraps or Sara Lee 45 calorie bread loafs.

I personally like to get my carbs from brown rice, sweet potatoes, white potatoes, veggies, and fruits.

If you are short on time, I would recommend meal prepping. Pick a day out of the week (I do Sundays) and prepare food for the entire week. Weigh food and store in separate containers for each day of the week. Then all you have to do is re-heat it before lunch.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

Can you comprehend?

The OP says she thinks she'd like to eat less bread and asks for alternatives at lunch and suddenly this ^^ extrapolation??

And you are asking others if they can comprehend?
  • rainynight3L33
    rainynight3L33 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    You can eat bread, just make sure it's whole wheat! :):smile: