Apple Cider Vinegar anyone?

Options
Hi all
I am just wondering if anyone takes apple cider vinegar.
Do you have any suggestions to make it easier to swallow?
Thanks

Replies

• Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    What do you mean "take" it? You mean eat it? Like as a salad dressing or what? Vinegar doesn't have that much nutritional value so its not something you have to log really if that is what you are asking.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    It doesn't really have enough benefits for you to need to choke it down if you don't like it.

I have it with honey and hot water when I have a cold, just because it's soothing and seems to cut through the crap in my throat.
  • Ssesia
    Ssesia Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    lots of water
  • Aaron_K123
    Options
    Wait....people just like drink straight vinegar? Why would you do that? Vinegar is basically just watered down acetic acid with a little flavoring. You want the "health benefits" of acetic acid...why not go for the pure stuff.

http://www.sciencecompany.com/-P16220C672.aspx?utm_source=google&utm_medium=shop&utm_campaign=prod&utm_content=NC-6077&gclid=CIDWv6aJ0L4CFUOSfgodO2UA5w

P.S. do not actually drink glacial acetic acid.
  • cindyb1984
    cindyb1984 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    It's not just vinegar. It's apple cider vinegar made from apples. I did not start this topic to create an argument about it. If you don't take it the that is your decision. I have had people recommend it to me so I am trying it out.
    That is all
  • marca_june
    marca_june Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I don't take any vinegar but I have heard of people taking a tablespoon at bedtime to help to lose weight! You can also get pills with it in them as a supplement. So you make the decision to take or not.
  • Aaron_K123
    Options
    It's not just vinegar. It's apple cider vinegar made from apples. I did not start this topic to create an argument about it. If you don't take it the that is your decision. I have had people recommend it to me so I am trying it out.
    That is all

Not trying to start an argument just confused. Vinegar is dilute acetic acid, that is what it is. Doesn't matter where it comes from anymore than ethanol distilled from grapes is any different than ethanol distilled from potatoes. If they add things to it then its the things they add that matters in which case just drop the acetic acid part and drink some juice.

I cannot imagine there is a health benefit to ingesting acetic acid.
  • rachelklewis3
    rachelklewis3 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I do not, but could you put it in a cup of hot herbal tea? I don't know anything about ingesting it, but it works wonders on acne and can help treat sunburn :)
  • rebprest
    rebprest Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I take about a tablespoon once in a while mixed into my water-bottle with a squirt of MISO water flavoring. I know a lot of people add honey and my coworker swears it is what helped her drop 50 lbs (over a long period). Usually I take it because it helps calm stomach acid issues rather than for weight loss. I really don't think it has a significant effect aside from that of the placebo in helping weight loss. It does have other more medicinal system balancing purpose, though!
  • jackjb2
    jackjb2 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    It does help lower blood glucose levels.
  • Aaron_K123
    Options
    It does help lower blood glucose levels.

Acetic acid? How?

I am legitimately curious as to why people think acetic acid has a health benefit.
  • cindyb1984
    cindyb1984 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I take about a tablespoon once in a while mixed into my water-bottle with a squirt of MISO water flavoring. I know a lot of people add honey and my coworker swears it is what helped her drop 50 lbs (over a long period). Usually I take it because it helps calm stomach acid issues rather than for weight loss. I really don't think it has a significant effect aside from that of the placebo in helping weight loss. It does have other more medicinal system balancing purpose, though!

That is why it was recommended for me. For acid reflux issues and it can also be helpful if you have high blood pressure. Some people believe in it and some don't so I want to give it a try to form my own opinion and see if it helps me. I'm not really doing it for weight loss although some people swear it helps with that too...
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    Pass. Unless there's spinach involved.
  • Aaron_K123
    Options

That is why it was recommended for me. For acid reflux issues and it can also be helpful if you have high blood pressure. Some people believe in it and some don't so I want to give it a try to form my own opinion and see if it helps me. I'm not really doing it for weight loss although some people swear it helps with that too...

If you have acid reflux I would not recommend treating it by drinking acid.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I've heard that vinegar is good for reflux and heartburn because vinegar is an alkaline and balances out the excess of stomach acid calling the reflux. I don't think there's anything special about apple cider vinegar except it tastes a bit better.

I know pickle juice is good for my hangover, but I think that's just a personal weird hangover thing ;)
  • WLG1974
    WLG1974 Posts: 90
    Options
    I tried it for awhile to see if it would help aid in weightloss. For me it didn't do anything at all. For some it does help. I just gave it up.
  • PinkCupcakes84
    PinkCupcakes84 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    My husband put a little on his ribs while grilling them. I prefer that method. ????
  • Aaron_K123
    Options
    I've heard that vinegar is good for reflux and heartburn because vinegar is an alkaline and balances out the excess of stomach acid calling the reflux. I don't think there's anything special about apple cider vinegar except it tastes a bit better.

I know pickle juice is good for my hangover, but I think that's just a personal weird hangover thing ;)

Vinegar is the opposite of alkaline, vinegar is acidic. It is diluted acetic acid.

Acetic acid in turn is what bacteria piss out when you feed them alcohol.
  • Shutter_bug03
    Shutter_bug03 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I've heard lots of good things! I have a friend that takes a shot glass every single day and he swears he's never sick!
  • lindseyllawrence
    lindseyllawrence Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I take it now no problem! It still isn't fun but I've grown accustomed to it. When I first started taking it in the morning, I would chase it with orange juice. Just grin and bear and you'll get used to it! I've seen great results with ACV shots. I also use it as a toner sometimes on my face when I break out and it works great!