Apple Cider Vinegar anyone?

Options

Replies

• Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    It does help lower blood glucose levels.

Acetic acid? How?

I am legitimately curious as to why people think acetic acid has a health benefit.

Google is your friend......."apple cider help lower blood glucose levels"

http://care.diabetesjournals.org/content/30/11/2814.full

http://www.medindia.net/patients/lifestyleandwellness/apple-cider-vinegar-blood-sugar-and-lipids.htm
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I am now sitting here with my mouth fully agape. This is, this is something.
  • recesq
    recesq Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Perhaps this will broaden your imagination.

http://www.webmd.com/diet/apple-cider-vinegar?page=3
  • Aaron_K123
    Options

Acetic acid? How?

I am legitimately curious as to why people think acetic acid has a health benefit.

http://www.medindia.net/patients/lifestyleandwellness/apple-cider-vinegar-blood-sugar-and-lipids.htm

Do these articles explain how acetic acid affects blood sugar or link to any scientific studies whatsoever. Because you can find a lot of crazy stuff on the internet.
  • rhonderoo
    rhonderoo Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I drink about a tablespoon in water with stevia. If I have heartburn, I can drink it and it goes away immediately. Only use the Bragg's or other organic version, with what they call 'the mother', as it is a probiotic. There's studies where it helps lower glucose levels, though the outcome is anecdotal, but my PCP suggested it and it does seem to help. Don't drink it straight, though definitely dilute with water and add honey, stevia, or aguave.

There are a lot of articles online about it.

Here's WebMD's little bit on it about diabetes, etc.

But there are some medical uses of vinegar that do have promise, at least according to a few studies. Here's a rundown of some more recent ones.

Diabetes. The effect of vinegar on blood sugar levels is perhaps the best researched and the most promising of apple cider vinegar's possible health benefits. Several studies have found that vinegar may help lower glucose levels. For instance, a 2007 study of 11 people with type 2 diabetes found that taking two tablespoons of apple cider vinegar before bed lowered glucose levels in the morning by 4%-6%.
    High cholesterol . A 2006 study showed evidence that vinegar could lower cholesterol. However, the study was done in rats, so it's too early to know how it might work in people.
    Blood pressure and heart health. Another study in rats found that vinegar could lower high blood pressure. A large observational study also found that people who ate oil and vinegar dressing on salads five to six times a week had lower rates of heart disease than people who didn't. However, it's far from clear that the vinegar was the reason.
    Cancer . A few laboratory studies have found that vinegar may be able to kill cancer cells or slow their growth. Observational studies of people have been confusing. One found that eating vinegar was associated with a decreased risk of esophageal cancer. Another associated it with an increased risk of bladder cancer.
    Weight Loss . For thousands of years, vinegar has been used for weight loss. White vinegar (and perhaps other types) might help people feel full. A 2005 study of 12 people found that those who ate a piece of bread along with small amounts of white vinegar felt fuller and more satisfied than those who just ate the bread.
    While the results of these studies are promising, they are all preliminary. Many were done on animals or on cells in a lab. The human studies have been small. Before we will truly know whether vinegar has any health benefits, much larger studies are needed.
  • Aaron_K123
    Options
    Perhaps this will broaden your imagination.

http://www.webmd.com/diet/apple-cider-vinegar?page=3

So what I am getting from that is that what people call "apple cider vinegar" is neither apple nor cider nor vinegar but some sort of homeopathy concoction?
  • glasshalffull713
    glasshalffull713 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Raw apple cider vinegar is acidic, however once digested it becomes alkaline in the body. This is true of most fruits, vegetables, etc. On the contrary most sugary foods, as well as processed foods, and red meat, etc, create acidity in the body during the digestive process. Raw apple cider vinegar and lemons (not necessarily together!) are two of the most alkalizing foods you can ingest. The human body wants to be slightly alkaline and is healthiest when at the proper pH. There have even been studies that show that cancer cannot grow in an alkaline environment. The thought here is that when you have the proper pH levels, your body will let go of extra weight easier. I can't remember any more of the technical explanation than that, but that's the general idea.

In answer to your question: I can't tolerate it other than to use it whenever possible on food, in salad dressing etc. Many drink it with a teaspoon of honey mixed with water. I tried this a few times but can't hang. Too intense for me!
  • cindyb1984
    cindyb1984 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I take it now no problem! It still isn't fun but I've grown accustomed to it. When I first started taking it in the morning, I would chase it with orange juice. Just grin and bear and you'll get used to it! I've seen great results with ACV shots. I also use it as a toner sometimes on my face when I break out and it works great!

I was told this by someone else too that it would get easier over time.
    I did lemon water this morning and it helped!
  • Aaron_K123
    Options

Acetic acid? How?

Do these articles explain how acetic acid affects blood sugar or link to any scientific studies whatsoever. Because you can find a lot of crazy stuff on the internet.

Read your article. One of them is a random blog that references vaguely "several scientific studies" without actually citing any of them so its impossible to verify or follow up on, the other is an actual study albeit with a sample size of 11 which is really really small.

Here is the highlight figure from that paper:

F1_medium.gif

Notice that the error-bars between placebo and vinegar subgroups overlap? That means there was no difference between the group receiving vinegar when compared to the group receiving placebo. Did you actually read this study and look at their data? There error bars overlap with their baselines and their error bars overlap with their control group which is a screaming indication that their sample size was to small to establish significance.
  • cindyb1984
    Options
    I drink about a tablespoon in water with stevia. If I have heartburn, I can drink it and it goes away immediately. Only use the Bragg's or other organic version, with what they call 'the mother', as it is a probiotic. There's studies where it helps lower glucose levels, though the outcome is anecdotal, but my PCP suggested it and it does seem to help. Don't drink it straight, though definitely dilute with water and add honey, stevia, or aguave.

But there are some medical uses of vinegar that do have promise, at least according to a few studies. Here's a rundown of some more recent ones.

Diabetes. The effect of vinegar on blood sugar levels is perhaps the best researched and the most promising of apple cider vinegar's possible health benefits. Several studies have found that vinegar may help lower glucose levels. For instance, a 2007 study of 11 people with type 2 diabetes found that taking two tablespoons of apple cider vinegar before bed lowered glucose levels in the morning by 4%-6%.
    High cholesterol . A 2006 study showed evidence that vinegar could lower cholesterol. However, the study was done in rats, so it's too early to know how it might work in people.
    Blood pressure and heart health. Another study in rats found that vinegar could lower high blood pressure. A large observational study also found that people who ate oil and vinegar dressing on salads five to six times a week had lower rates of heart disease than people who didn't. However, it's far from clear that the vinegar was the reason.
    Cancer . A few laboratory studies have found that vinegar may be able to kill cancer cells or slow their growth. Observational studies of people have been confusing. One found that eating vinegar was associated with a decreased risk of esophageal cancer. Another associated it with an increased risk of bladder cancer.
    Weight Loss . For thousands of years, vinegar has been used for weight loss. White vinegar (and perhaps other types) might help people feel full. A 2005 study of 12 people found that those who ate a piece of bread along with small amounts of white vinegar felt fuller and more satisfied than those who just ate the bread.
    While the results of these studies are promising, they are all preliminary. Many were done on animals or on cells in a lab. The human studies have been small. Before we will truly know whether vinegar has any health benefits, much larger studies are needed.

I have the Braggs brand... Certified organic by
    Organic certifiers...lol. ( made me giggle when I read that)
  • Elleinnz
    Options

Acetic acid? How?

Yep - but it might be a little bit too basic for a wise guy like you to actually understand ....

" These data suggest that vinegar ingestion at bedtime may favorably impact waking glucose concentrations in type 2 diabetes. The antiglycemic effect of acetic acid, the active ingredient in vinegar, has been attributed to reduced starch digestion (5) and/or delayed gastric emptying (6). Neither of these proposed mechanisms likely explains the effects noted herein; moreover, to our knowledge, this is the first report describing a hypoglycemic effect of vinegar apart from mealtime. Fushimi et al. (7,8) have published a series of trials in rats demonstrating that acetic acid alters hepatic and skeletal glucose metabolism. These investigations show that acetic acid feeding (0.2 acetic acid/100 g diet) reduced xylulose-5-phosphate accumulation in liver and phosphofructokinase-1 activity in skeletal muscle—metabolic changes consistent with reduced glycolysis and the promotion of glycogen synthesis. Hence, acetic acid may possibly alter the glycolysis/gluconeogenic cycle in liver, which may benefit diabetic individuals with metabolic disturbances contributing to a prebreakfast rise in fasting glucose (also known as the “dawn phenomenon”) (9).
  • Aaron_K123
    Options

Acetic acid? How?

Yep - but it might be a little bit too basic for a wise guy like you to actually understand ....

" These data suggest that vinegar ingestion at bedtime may favorably impact waking glucose concentrations in type 2 diabetes. The antiglycemic effect of acetic acid, the active ingredient in vinegar, has been attributed to reduced starch digestion (5) and/or delayed gastric emptying (6). Neither of these proposed mechanisms likely explains the effects noted herein; moreover, to our knowledge, this is the first report describing a hypoglycemic effect of vinegar apart from mealtime. Fushimi et al. (7,8) have published a series of trials in rats demonstrating that acetic acid alters hepatic and skeletal glucose metabolism. These investigations show that acetic acid feeding (0.2 acetic acid/100 g diet) reduced xylulose-5-phosphate accumulation in liver and phosphofructokinase-1 activity in skeletal muscle—metabolic changes consistent with reduced glycolysis and the promotion of glycogen synthesis. Hence, acetic acid may possibly alter the glycolysis/gluconeogenic cycle in liver, which may benefit diabetic individuals with metabolic disturbances contributing to a prebreakfast rise in fasting glucose (also known as the “dawn phenomenon”) (9).

So why do you think the error bars overlap between the vinegar group and the placebo group.

Note I have expressed my skepticism I have not name called.

To establish causation there has to be an explanation and I have yet to see an explanation for how acetic acid effects glucose levels.
  • cindyb1984
    Options
    Now I know why some people hate posting on these forums...
  • Pohudet
    Pohudet Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    My personal experience with apple cider vinegar is that it gives me heartburn and stomach pain.
    I only tried it in salads.
    If i use brown rice vinegar instead, these symptoms do not happen.
    So, I just decided that it is not for me.
    (I also have such symptoms whenever I take tylenol or Vit C if it is not time-release vitamin c)
  • Aaron_K123
    Options

I posted an image the actual data, the only data they show, from the 2007 study paper. Their error bars overlap between their placebo control and the vinegar group, their significance is misrepresented and their conclusion is invalid as a result. Doing a multivariate ANOVA on a dataset of 11 with error bars that large is not going to give you significance.

If the only study is a study with a group of 11 people in which the results have errors that completely overlap between their control group, their baselines and their test group then I am not very convinced by that and honestly you shouldn't be either.
  • Elleinnz
    Options

Acetic acid? How?

So why do you think the error bars overlap between the vinegar group and the placebo group.

You asked three questions :

1) I am legitimately curious as to why people think acetic acid has a health benefit.
    2) Do these articles explain how acetic acid affects blood sugar
    3) link to any scientific studies whatsoever

That is the questions I answered - make your own informed decision from these links - I am not a scientist - and honestly have no desire to try and replicate or defend the conclusions of the scientists... I just answered your questions - have a happy day
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    Now I know why some people hate posting on these forums...

Because if you post something incredulous, someone will ask for a legitimate explanation rather than just taking someone's word for it?
  • spamantha57
    spamantha57 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I used to try to remember to take a shot of ACV every night after dinner, but I couldn't keep it up after a few months.

However, whenever I think I'm starting to get a cold or want to naturally detox myself from things, I pour a shot into a water bottle with a bit of lemon juice, cayenne & honey. I'll drink 3-4 of those a day & within a couple days I'm all good. Even helped me ward off a flu & bronchitis in January.

Like some people said, though ACV is acidic, it becomes alkaline in your body. The same way citric acid from fruits become alkaline in your body. There have been lots of claims of different health benefits, like those for blood sugar. I particularly like it to boost my immune system and help with digestion.
  • danibearoh
    danibearoh Posts: 1
    Options
    I drink 2 tablespoons with my 16 oz of water in the morning. I don't know if it's because I like the taste of fermented/acidic things, but I became accustomed to the taste very quickly... I even crave it! If you can't stomach it diluted in water I'd say use it to make a vinegarette salad dressing.

I won't say it has helped me with weight loss... I credit exercise and diet for that. But it does make me feel less bloated (I also take supplemental magnesium for that) and it helps keep me regular and my skin clearer. This is just one way I use organic apple cider vinegar "with the mother"... a cursory Google search on the topic reveals a plethora of uses.
  • Aaron_K123
    Options

Acetic acid? How?

You asked three questions :

1) I am legitimately curious as to why people think acetic acid has a health benefit.
    2) Do these articles explain how acetic acid affects blood sugar
    3) link to any scientific studies whatsoever

That is the questions I answered - make your own informed decision from these links - I am not a scientist - and honestly have no desire to try and replicate or defend the conclusions of the scientists... I just answered your questions - have a happy day

Well I am a scientist and their sample size is too small, their error bars overlap and they fail to establish significance between their control their baseline and their test group. No where in that paper does it explain the effect of acetic acid on blood sugar.

I am not even sure how they claim to report a p value with a multivarate ANOVA on a test group of 11.