Apple Cider Vinegar anyone?

Options

Replies

• quatermore
    quatermore Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Apple cider vinegar is highly acidic. The main ingredient of apple cider vinegar is acetic acid. As the name suggests, it's quite harsh. Apple cider vinegar should always be diluted with water or juice before swallowed. Pure apple cider vinegar could damage the tooth enamel and the tissues in your throat and mouth. One study found a woman who got an apple cider vinegar supplement stuck in her throat suffered lasting damage to her esophagus. In addition, vinegar has been known to cause contact burns to the skin.
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    ....a splash of white vinegar in the Cuban style black bean soup.......
  • cindyb1984
    cindyb1984 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Apple cider vinegar is highly acidic. The main ingredient of apple cider vinegar is acetic acid. As the name suggests, it's quite harsh. Apple cider vinegar should always be diluted with water or juice before swallowed. Pure apple cider vinegar could damage the tooth enamel and the tissues in your throat and mouth. One study found a woman who got an apple cider vinegar supplement stuck in her throat suffered lasting damage to her esophagus. In addition, vinegar has been known to cause contact burns to the skin.

It's 5% acetic acid....
    And I don't take it straight.
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    ....a little bit 'o vinegar on french fries......
  • Shropshire1959
    Shropshire1959 Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Kin hell this site gets weirder by the day.... Some one 'suggest' a strange diet tactic and Aaron POLITELY asks for some logic around this strategy and get jumped on by a bunch of "Don't confuse me with the facts" zealots... It's like a religion to some people.... "You don't need facts - have faith"

Aaron - Well done and keep asking questions.
  • cindyb1984
    Options
    Kin hell this site gets weirder by the day.... Some one 'suggest' a strange diet tactic and Aaron POLITELY asks for some logic around this strategy and get jumped on by a bunch of "Don't confuse me with the facts" zealots... It's like a religion to some people.... "You don't need facts - have faith"

lol...I don't mean to be rude, but do you two have a bromance going on?
    ACV is not some strange new weight loss tactic.
    It has been around for many years and has benefited many people.
    As I stated in a previous post, I am not even using it for weight loss.
  • starsybyll
    starsybyll Posts: 32
    Options
    I like to drink pure vinegar (actually mostly white, not super big on apple cider) but I don't think it helps with weight. I just think it tastes good. Better than any fatty dressings.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    As to previous conversation I couldn't find anything to support the idea that acid reflux was caused by low stomach acid. There were some online blogs that suggest that but none of them link to an actual study.

For that reason I remain skeptical that it is a good idea to treat a condition caused by reflux of acid into your esophagus by pouring acid on it instead of taking a proton pump inhibitor like omeprazole.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options

You reminded me of my favorite quote:

"To hell with argument, I have faith."

Unfortunately, it applies to a lot of threads on this site.
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options
    My mother tried the apple cider thing. I guess she took a shot of it every day. She ended in the hospital for some type of bad stomach problem. She said she will never drink the stuff again.
  • wolf39us
    wolf39us Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I got rid of a nasty wart on my foot that haunted me for 5 years with apple cider vinegar. I'm not about to start drinking it LOL
  • madhatter2013
    madhatter2013 Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options
    I don't "take it" per se. I include it with any meat I cook. I marinate every peice of meat in it for a couple hours. I put it in my crock pot with my pot roast. I love the stuff when it's flavoring anything else, not straight.
  • starsybyll
    starsybyll Posts: 32
    Options
    That is probably a rare/unique thing. I have been drinking straight vinegar at least a couple times a week just because I like it since I was a kid. I don't know why anyone would drink it besides for pleasure, but it normally will not hurt your stomach. If it did, I would be dead.
  • Shropshire1959
    Options

lol...I don't mean to be rude, but do you two have a bromance going on?
    ACV is not some strange new weight loss tactic.
    It has been around for many years and has benefited many people.
    As I stated in a previous post, I am not even using it for weight loss.

Bwhaaaaaaaa.. nice one .. but no, just on the same wave length on this subject, I guess .. Personally I need more science than hear say...

One could of course ask the same question of all of 'you' faithers :-)
  • Shropshire1959
    Options

You reminded me of my favorite quote:

"To hell with argument, I have faith."

Unfortunately, it applies to a lot of threads on this site.

Just so :-)
  • agrafina
    agrafina Posts: 128 Member
    Options

SMH. Old wives cures win out again over science on MFP. You're right, it really is a religion to some people. Why is Aaron the only one in the thread debating this who seems to be able to recognize and admit he may be wrong (e.g. on GERD, initially)? All I hear is other people doubling down on their beliefs when confronted with evidence contrary to what they want to believe.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I don't know anything about ingesting it, but it works wonders on acne and can help treat sunburn :)

I hear tell that a nice mix of pure lemon juice and salt is excellent for sunburns. Just make sure to rub it in really well. The pain means its working.
  • madhatter2013
    madhatter2013 Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options
    I take about a tablespoon once in a while mixed into my water-bottle with a squirt of MISO water flavoring. I know a lot of people add honey and my coworker swears it is what helped her drop 50 lbs (over a long period). Usually I take it because it helps calm stomach acid issues rather than for weight loss. I really don't think it has a significant effect aside from that of the placebo in helping weight loss. It does have other more medicinal system balancing purpose, though!

That is why it was recommended for me. For acid reflux issues and it can also be helpful if you have high blood pressure. Some people believe in it and some don't so I want to give it a try to form my own opinion and see if it helps me. I'm not really doing it for weight loss although some people swear it helps with that too...

If you have acid reflux I would not recommend treating it by drinking acid.

We should be friends because I wholeheartedly agree with everything you are saying and am cracking up over here at your responses. Cheers!

+1
  • cindyb1984
    Options

SMH. Old wives cures win out again over science on MFP. You're right, it really is a religion to some people. Why is Aaron the only one in the thread debating this who seems to be able to recognize and admit he may be wrong (e.g. on GERD, initially)? All I hear is other people doubling down on their beliefs when confronted with evidence contrary to what they want to believe.

If it works, then why shouldn't it win over science.
    Maybe in 2 weeks, science will say that it does work...who knows?
    If it doesn't work then I will stop taking it.
    It doesn't hurt to try....
  • cgrand18
    cgrand18 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Many "old timers" believe in the properties of ACV with the "mother" in it. That snotty looking thing floating around in it. I lived for 17 years next to a woman who lived to be 104 and she said her secret to living to be so old was ACV - a shot every night before bedtime. My best friends grandmother in law lived to be 99 and she swore by a shot of ACV every morning.

Personally I don't know if I could stomach it.