Any child free peeps on MFP?

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    I've been married for 5 years...to the man of my dreams and we have chosen not to have children of our own, or adopt etc.

We admit we are selfish dinks...double income no kids types of people...

However I don't fit in the child free group...I would have been child free had my BC not had an epic fail at 21...

I never ever ever wanted kids...ever ever ever...ever...EVER..but I have one...although he is 20...

Can I be an honorary member????

PS I don't like kids...they are snotty little brats...babies smell funny, preteens are icky, teens are impossible...they aren't half bad when they become semi adults.

ETA: I married him specifically because he didn't want kids..
  • Sinful_moon
    Sinful_moon Posts: 140 Member
    To each their own happiness in life, but I choose to be child free. ^-^
  • ftloy
    ftloy Posts: 132 Member
    I don't like kids. I have to pretend to think kids are cool in my professional and social life and it's always such a chore

Maybe you should find a different profession?

I work in IT. It just happens that there are a lot of first time dads at my company who [incorrectly] assume everyone cares about/is dying to see pictures of their offspring. A lot of people think that 20-something newlywed women LOVE babies and can't wait to have 12. This is a problem in society at large.

Right? I know that there must seriously be something in the water where I work because there are pregnant women walking about all over the place who are on the verge of popping, women who have recently had kids (within the last couple to few months), or women who go on and on about having kids. And it's not just the women at my job either, I overhear quite a few gushing men talking about their pregnant wives.

Anyhow, if that is what makes those people happy, then I say more power to them; however, all I ask for is that they not just automatically assume I care about their kids. I don't want to hear the newest story about how Timmy dresses up like Batman and runs around the house or how cute and adorable little Maggie sounds when she tries to pronounce certain words. I. Don't. Care. Seriously, I don't. Please, please just leave me out of that conversation completely.

That's my story and i'm sticking to it.
  • KatieKat1979
    KatieKat1979 Posts: 470 Member
    I love kids but I do not want them. This world scares me far too much..
  • tracydr
    tracydr Posts: 528 Member
    I'm childless, although my husband ( second husband of 7 years) and I did try. I think I was too old and his vas reversal didn't help the odds.
    We have four wonderful, grown children and four grandchildren from my husband's first marriage but I regret never having had the opportunity to raise my own child.
  • skrlec70
    skrlec70 Posts: 302 Member
    no kids by choice, funny how I knew at an early age like 11, one of my Italian aunts asked how many I wanted, I said none, oooh the horror, I think they were planning an exorcism :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • KameHameHaaa
    KameHameHaaa Posts: 244 Member
    no kids by choice, funny how I knew at an early age like 11, one of my Italian aunts asked how many I wanted, I said none, oooh the horror, I think they were planning an exorcism :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Haha I definitely get that. I'm the oldest of 8, my dad is the youngest of 8. We have a large family in general. My younger sisters are having kids now and I've always just been like....meh, no thanks.
  • Zoe_lifts
    Zoe_lifts Posts: 120 Member
    I am about 90% sure I am never going to want kids
    Me too :)
  • LadyWeaselofVT
    LadyWeaselofVT Posts: 77 Member
    I've never had a desire to have children and like a lot of women, I was told I'd change my mind but it never happened. I'm 44 with no regrets about reproducing. I have super sweet, smart, adorable husband who also never wanted children so we spoil our three cats and enjoy our peaceful household. Raising children is really challenging.... ideally, it's best done by people who genuinely enjoy children and want that experience and that's not us.
  • helenarriaza
    helenarriaza Posts: 519 Member
    Enough cats to count as a crazy cat lady.

Plus I'm gay so yeah.
  • helenarriaza
    helenarriaza Posts: 519 Member
    My only children are my cats. I don't need those tiny human things, I can teach my cats how to take over the world once I am gone.

Yes.
  • guinevere96
    guinevere96 Posts: 1,445 Member
    I just really dont feel like ill ever be the kind of person that should bring a kid into this world ya know? My family insists this will change but I really dont believe it will lol. Kids are great, im just not into birthing a human life I am completely and utterly responsible for. Ill stick to dogs.
  • mousepaws22
    mousepaws22 Posts: 380 Member
    Yup - but obviously I'll change my mind (ask anyone they've told me often enough since I was 19 years old).:huh:

Exactly! I hear this so much it makes me want to punch people in the face when they say it to me. I don't tell people who do want kids that they'll change their mind one day.
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    I'm childfree! Add me! A warning though: many childfree people add, "I love kids. I just don't want my own. Childfree does not mean child haters!"

Well, for me it does. I don't like kids. I have to pretend to think kids are cool in my professional and social life and it's always such a chore. People who understand we're never having kids try to find examples of KIDS BEING CUTEEE to prove me wrong. No I don't think that flower girl did something fun or that baby's hat is adorable.

Social media has made friends with children even more unbearable.

It took guts to say that, sister, and I agree. I get along fine with older kids and teenagers, but I find nothing remotely appealing about bald dough-faced little trolls. And I am now 65, have never had kids, never regretted it for a nanosecond.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    For the first 40 years of my life, I was happy to be child-free. In the last couple of years, having worked with children, including some real ****s, I'm actually thinking having children isn't such a bad idea!? There are some that are as cute as a button and make me regret not putting more effort into dating!
  • taiyola
    taiyola Posts: 964 Member
    Yup - but obviously I'll change my mind (ask anyone they've told me often enough since I was 19 years old).:huh:

Me too. 'Cause ya know, us womens don't have anything to do with our lives other than have kids, cook, and clean.

i've been told that one day - when i find the right man - i will want nothing more than to shoot out his crotch fruit. b/c apparently when you meet The Right Man you lose your mind.

:laugh:
    This though. I always get told this. I'm 24 and actually kinda dislike kids. And humans, but y'know. I have a 12 year old dog who I call my son. :smile:
  • taiyola
    taiyola Posts: 964 Member
    I'm childfree! Add me! A warning though: many childfree people add, "I love kids. I just don't want my own. Childfree does not mean child haters!"

Well, for me it does. I don't like kids. I have to pretend to think kids are cool in my professional and social life and it's always such a chore. People who understand we're never having kids try to find examples of KIDS BEING CUTEEE to prove me wrong. No I don't think that flower girl did something fun or that baby's hat is adorable.

Social media has made friends with children even more unbearable.

Oh, and this.

Quite a few of my friends have children now and like to post a LOT of status' and pictures of them on Facebook. Helloooo, I'm friends with you, not your kid. I have to do that awkward "awwww" to get them to leave me alone.
  • 2pupsmama
    2pupsmama Posts: 77
    All my kids have 4 legs & fur :flowerforyou:

Ditto!
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    It just happens that there are a lot of first time dads at my company who [incorrectly] assume everyone cares about/is dying to see pictures of their offspring.

Yes! Oh yes! So adorable. Yes it's so cute. What a doll! Frozen smile. Forced upbeat demeanor. Deer-in-the-headlights eyes focused dutifully and politely on the picture. Inward clench. Glancing off sideways for a moment to try and quickly devise an exit strategy. Don't stop smiling. He's still watching you watch the picture. Will he be going away soon? YES. He's moving on. Thank heavens. He's sticking the picture in someone else's face. Long grateful exhalation. Hasty rounding of the corner to somewhere else.

Sound familiar?

LOL yes. I actually don't mind a few "funny stories" once the kid's older with a real personality. So I may be different in that - it seems like most CFBC people I meet either LOVE being around others' kids such as their own nieces/nephews & dote on them 24/7, or pretty much have ZERO interest in any kid on the planet. I guess I'm somewhere on the continuum closer to the latter but I don't mind a story or two.

However...photos of a newborn...there's really nothing for me to say. "What is his/her name?" and then the requisite "congratulations" and then I'm just done. If I REALLY like the parent, they get my patented "awwww!" and maybe a comment about the baby having good coloring which seems to please new parents.

Go away. Come back and talk to me when the kid is three and said or did something that is genuinely weird or funny.
  • Tigre_Lily
    Tigre_Lily Posts: 26 Member
    I have a furry four legged baby.