What is your WHY?

Options

Replies

• pleasurelittletreasure
    pleasurelittletreasure Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    My brother died. I let myself get unhealthy for years because he was unhealthy and I didn't want to move on without him. He died and I had to remember how to be me. It's coming up on a year now of him being gone and I am coming to terms with it. And I'm ready to move forward. It's been baby steps since July but now I am ready to truly take my life in a positive direction. I don't think he'd want me to just stay stagnant. It didn't do him a bit of good. So I'll do it for both of us. I'll do what he couldn't.
  • JG762
    JG762 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    My reason is probably boring to everybody else, I know what it is and I guess that’s all that really matters.
    I just know that I have to make it, I’ll either make it or I’ll die trying, I guess that’s what’s important to me, knowing that no matter what I've done everything I can and didn't quit.
  • Lifeisgood4
    Lifeisgood4 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Petuniaisme
    Petuniaisme Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Why is the key. I discovered that when I quit smoking - for the final time :-)
    Earlier attempts lacked the resolve of Why, and were fraught with Should.
    The result was feeling deprived, resentful, and overwhelmed. And resuming the habit.
    I had dreams that I still smoked; I would wake up feeling defeated and horrified.
    The cravings always got the better of me, eventually.

The last and final time was motivated by Why. I knew why I wanted to quit.
    I knew why I could resist the urges to smoke.
    I knew why I would never smoke again.

It's been 8 yrs now since I smoked my last cigarette.
    8 yrs and no cravings.
    8 yrs and no regrets.
    8 yrs and its just as easy today to be a non-smoker as it was the moment I discovered my why.

My goal now is to apply the Why factor to weight loss and maintaining a healthy balance of nutrition and activity :-)
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    My Why

- To avoid my pre-dispositioned chance of getting Diabetes
    - Not get winded by going up a flight of stairs
    - Stop my ankles from cracking while walking
    - Constantly sleeping!
    - Only going to get bigger and bigger
    - To experience life as a thin, healthy female
    - To buy whatever the f--- I want when I walk in a clothing store
    - To love the camera instead of running and hiding from it
    - To feel confident and comfortable with affection and being touched
    - To look in the mirror and feel amazing
  • missdalena
    missdalena Posts: 4
    Options
    Because I want to be me again.

Because I don't want to admit defeat.

Because I am smoking hot under this 30-35 pounds.

I want to like pictures of me again.
  • MikePXstream
    MikePXstream Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry for your loss. You are setting a good example for your children and grandchildren. Prayers to you for comfort.:flowerforyou:
    I had some heart issues when I was 28 years old and had three small children. I started eating healthy. My husband and brother teased me about eating stuff that taste like cardboard and spending time exercising when I could just take medications. I buried my husband last year and one of my brothers who was only 2 years older than me. I am helping my other brother he has had several bypass and stent surgeries. He is getting his diet under control. He no longer takes insulin but there is no more they can do for his heart.
    :heart: My why is to show our children and grandchildren that you have to live for tomorrow or you will not have a tomorrow.
  • HikariAlta
    HikariAlta Posts: 6
    Options
    Why? Because I was just diagnosed with T2 diabetes. I have PCOS, and weight is a struggle for me.

It is a challenge I accept.

My goals:
    - Consistent, truly normal blood sugar, not "good enough" for a diabetic levels
    - an A1C of 5.0
    - weight loss in the neighborhood of 20 lbs.
    - increased strength and endurance
  • IzzyRoseDixon
    IzzyRoseDixon Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I want to set a good example for my daughter.
    I want to be able to play with her for more than 10 minutes without feeling exhausted.
    I want to be able to own and ride horses again - no point me working my butt off to get through uni so I could get a job that would support a horse if I'm then too fat to look after one.
    I want to be able to get a Berta bridal wedding dress when my fiancé and I have saved enough to get married.
    I want to proud of my body again.
    I don't want to end up like my dad - morbidly obese with numerous health problems.
  • Yoshirio
    Yoshirio Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    What a great thread-bumping for later.
  • KMclymont
    KMclymont Posts: 19
    Options
    This topic drew my attention my why is to be a healthy nurse and to be around to see my kids become successful adults.WOW this really made my foggy mind more clearer, I was just playing around not tracking really, changing my calories from time to time and starting over every single day. I felt so defeated and this morning reading this I found the answer, I had no clear and precise WHY.Thinking about the question and finding what's most important to me just gave me that ah ah moment I heard people talking about. This I know will renew my zest to get fit and healthy. Thank you.
  • StarPlatinumORA
    StarPlatinumORA Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I was writing a really long post but the basic reason is because I HAVE TO lose weight, for pressing health reasons. Then it became a turning point in my life. I realised I genuinely want this, so I'm actually happy and positive about it, despite the horrible reason for it!

oh, and I might have been beaten but...

7bY0v.jpg
  • tarcotti
    tarcotti Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I started a year ago because of vanity. I just wanted to look better. It wasn't enough and I quit after loosing almost 30 lbs. I think the reason I quit was because of depression. I'm starting up again and the reason now is because I want to be healthier for when my husband and I get pregnant. I think my "why" is a much better reason now :)
  • iamom507
    iamom507 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    [/quote] To fit in an airplane seat without worrying if I'm crowding the person next to me. Well....that might be too much to ask considering the size of those seats. Haha! [/quote]

This!

I want my husband to look at me like he did when we were dating
    I want to buy clothes that do not have an X in them
    I want to visit my family without the talk about my weight/health
    I want to live a long time to see my children raise their families
  • Sweetie_darling
    Sweetie_darling Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I think I am my why. Because I deserve it. I deserve the time, effort, focus, care and appreciation. I'm going to take this time for myself, unashamedly and unapologetically. I can't use other people as an excuse to give up if I have decided I am the priority.

It's not even so much about the weight loss anymore, I want everything that comes along with it- confidence, sense of accomplishment, strength, peace. I don't want to crave external validation anymore, I want to know I'm enough all on my own.

Xx
  • MikePXstream
    MikePXstream Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    KMclymont - You are very welcome. Sometimes just a little outside influence is all it takes to get the gears spinning again. I am glad you have clarity now. use that to fuel your motivation and strive to do your best to achieve your goals. Feel free to reach out to me any time.
    This topic drew my attention my why is to be a healthy nurse and to be around to see my kids become successful adults.WOW this really made my foggy mind more clearer, I was just playing around not tracking really, changing my calories from time to time and starting over every single day. I felt so defeated and this morning reading this I found the answer, I had no clear and precise WHY.Thinking about the question and finding what's most important to me just gave me that ah ah moment I heard people talking about. This I know will renew my zest to get fit and healthy. Thank you.
  • hidbee
    hidbee Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    BECAUSE I AM AWESOME AND I DESERVE IT!

and my legit life goal is to be 100. 30 down, 70 to go!
  • happieharpie
    happieharpie Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    My initial reason was JUST health. After losing 40 or so pounds, I will not lie, my vanity did definitely kick in.

At my present 80+ weight loss! I feel better than I have in 30 years, or even possibly ever. That is what keeps me

Keep in' on. Eat grain? Eat dairy? Eat salt? Eat sugar? FEEL LOUSY!! I'm not stupid- now that I know the equation, I

Just don't do things that make me feel rotten.
  • mdt07
    mdt07 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I've had a number of reasons why and for some reason they didn't keep me moving towards my ultimate goal. This time I have a few things have occurred at the same time and I have looked deep inside and asked "Do you really want to be this size in a year?" But I realized that I have asked myself that questions many times before and the answer was "no" but yet I was that size or larger in a year. So this time around...I'm about 30 days in I ask myself "do you want to be this size tomorrow?" the response is "NO" and I then act accordingly (continue with my meal plan, take the extra steps to be active) to achieve the goal of changing for tomorrow. My List of Whys:

-I was appalled that my doctor recommended me for weight loss surgery
    -I don't want my child to be embarrassed because she has the fat mom
    -I want to continue to say I don't have high blood pressure, diabetes or any of the other markers that a number of overweight people deal with
    -I want to forget the saying muffin top
  • LaurenFoss10
    Options
    What is my why? I hate the way I look in and out of clothes and after months of self loathing I decide to start doing something about it. I was always skinny, pre kids. I am short so carry weight much differently. After my first daughter in 2006 I have started battle self image issues. I now am at nearly 150 pounds, and become depressed when I need to get dress because nothing looks good to me. My why moment was this weekend. I want to get back to normal weight some where between 115-120 so I can wear jeans, feel confident again and prepare for a tummy tuck. Any and all support is welcomed :smile: