WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JUNE 2014

Options

Replies

• GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,660 Member
    Options
    Beth – 3 days with no headaches – how exciting; :wink: hoping the diet changes make it more and more days! Are you changing the whole family, or just the son with issues?

Kayzoola – the late garden should work! Just take care of yourself and your baby plants in that heat! :drinker:

Tamara – welcome, great idea to do your “super” cleaning one chunk at a time!

YannieJannie - Glad to hear you “played” and went to the movies!

Vicki W. – welcome – this group is very supportive..

Barbie – GREAT NSV! Music instead of food! Hope you and Jake are back on an even keel

Margaret – to delicate to shower – oh my have we come a long way!

Meg – I have to turn on the news… Wow! This looks very scary… hope you are ok.

Amyloutoyou – logging is; for me; the key! :smile:

Phyllis from Reno – log it, stay within the calories and Surprise! It works

JB – oh my, I feel so sad for her :cry: I just can not imagine all what a family goes through with a child with such an awful illness.

Anybody have a MFP safe banana based recipe? I was at the market and they had a bag with 10 big bananas in it for 59cents, I had to buy it - I could freeze them but was thinking I'd cook something tomorrow - I need a dessert for a gathering on Friday--would like something I could have some of... any ideas?

I am tired - I am headed to bed.

Kim in N. california
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    JB, it seems like you all have a long road ahead for you. But you seem like a close knit family and it does take that. I wish you all the luck and send prayers.

Joyce, Indiana
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Good morning all!

Alison: so glad you slept well; you need it. :flowerforyou:
    DeeDee: thanks for asking. Feeling a bit less freaked out, but I feel my heart when I’m having stress (a moment of anger, or longer-term stress). Looking forward to talking with the cardiologist; hope it’s someone who will actually have a conversation with us.
    Sylvia: thanks for the explanation of a “dunking kit”.
    Carol: you sound less stressed. Glad you’re getting the knee checked out. Take care of yourself! The townhouse idea (from Yanniejannie) sounds very good; I lived in something like that once and enjoyed it.
    Yanniejannie: how interesting that your daughter preferred sleeping on the carpet. Did she have a reason?
    Katla/Moondoggz: Sweets can be enjoyed in moderation (if moderation works for you). But maybe you have a different reason for avoiding sweets, Katla.
    JB: glad you’re feeling better. I remember my guy being sick during a vacation. He was lying in bed, used tissues all over the place. Felt so sorry for him when he croaked out: “I’m totally full of snot…” :smile: Mariah is in for a tough year; heartbreaking…. :flowerforyou:
    Heather: exercise is good for depression; hope it will help your son.
    Vicki: hope you are safe. Congrats on your loss (weight/inches)!
    Kim: you’ve done a great job of planning and following through on your plans! So glad you have found things you love to do for work. That’s inspiring.
    Beth: hope your son can extend his “streak”!
    Barbie: the non-food treat was great; sometimes I find myself doing that as well and I consider that a victory.
    Meg: hope you’re safe too!

Had a tiring and annoying day yesterday; hope today will be better. Going to the PT for my lower back/hip; I've had a severe muscle cramp since Friday. Hope he can help.
    My job may be in danger (has been up in the air for a while). Tomorrow I may find out more. Positive thoughts are welcome!

Hope everyone has a good day.

Cynthia :flowerforyou:
  • sandydoyle33
    Options
    Hello Ladies,

This is what I posted as my introduction and then I saw this topic.

Hello. New here to this site and the whole tracking your food and exercise. Have been working out at a physical fitness facility that is part of a major hospital in Virginia. Was doing and 8 week program called Functional Fitness within the fitness center. Wonderful program. Has helped to find exercises that I now love doing. I loving working out in the Therapy Pool. I can do a 1 1/2 - 2 hour workout in the therapy pool and not be sore the next day. I have also found out which classes I am not ready to take yet because they made me very sore.

I was diagnosed 5 years ago with Fibromyalgia after about 5 years of having to endure the doctor's skepticisim about my symptoms and illness. But I finally found a wonderful Dr. that told me if I stuck with him, he would help me find out what was going on with my body and sure enough, not even 6 months later I had my diagnosis.

I had been a medication for my fibro, but last summer I was able to take myself off the medication because I had started walking every day, twice a day for 30 - 45 minutes. But then towards the end of the summer I fell when I stepped on black walnut and ended up fracturing my wrist, twisting my ankle, getting tendinitis in my right foot and a very sore and scraped left knee.

Last April I made a decision that I would start working out again, but realized that I needed more than my own motivation and more than just walking. So I did some research and checked out fitness facilities and decided to join the medical fitness facility.

I love it and enjoy going to work out. Since joining I have lost 4 lbs and 2 inches, in addition to gaining endurance and strength.

It has not been an easy road or journey and there have been plenty of times when I have wanted to give up and just lay in bed. But I have realized that doing that doesn't really help me, it makes my fibro worse. But I have also learned to listen to my body and to know when not to push myself any further because if I do I will dearly pay the price with being unable to function for 2 - 3 weeks.

It is difficult to not push myself to do more when I feel like I can, but trust and believe me when I think of the consequences of doing that I know I can't.

So, with that said, I am here to encourage and being encourage, to support and be supportive and to hopefully make some new friends along the way.

My June goal is to keep working out and lose another 4 lbs in the process.

My total weight lost goal is 40 lbs.

Just recently started a new business venture and am working towards making that a success as well.

Thank you all and look forward to reading more posts and topics.

Sandy Doyle
    In Beautiful Berryville, VA
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    I saw this on Twitter, from Kevin Hart (an actor; I admit I had to Google him):
    "Ate salad for dinner! Mostly croutons & tomatoes. Really just one big, round crouton covered with tomato sauce. And cheese. I ate a pizza."

:laugh:
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,823 Member
    Options
    Morning ladies~
    I dont know what is going on with me.. I sabatoge (sp) myself every blessed day..
    did great till I got home the DH grilled a hamburger for me,so had that on a fold it flat bread.. which was all alotted into calories
    then I was still starving so what did I eat,had a bowl and a half of raisin bran with unsweetened almond milk and 2 chocolate covered graham crackers, I think I stayed under but ate right up to my exercise calories:explode:
    I eat well during the day. it is at night when I am starving , will have to figure that out......
    I havent lost an ounce in I dont know how long, I am up 10 lbs and am disgusted with myself...
    I havent been to the gym, though I race walk 3-4 miles almost every day..
    being menopausal doesnt help either..im through it I think,but still
    I am always a early packer, so I have some stuff on our dining table set for vacation at the end of the month when the DGd come from wisconsin...
    I need someone at night, to be next to me and slap me upside the head when I reach for something:blushing:
  • LKM54
    LKM54 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Grandmallie, you should not be disgusted with yourself instead be kind to yourself. Clearly, you are struggling right now maybe some emotional issues are going on or you really need to change up your dietary restrictions. I am 53 and refuse to be starving and if that means the weight comes off really slow then so be it. I just think judging and berating yourself does nothing but take you deeper into your self loathing. Maybe work on positive affirmations and talking to yourself. Figure out what is going on and respect that this may be a coping skill right now. We need to love ourselves regardless of our weight or how we are doing on a diet. It should not be our identifying self. Hugs, Moondoggz
  • kwilson51
    kwilson51 Posts: 10
    Options
    Good Morning ladies.....I am also hoping for a "lighter" June. Just started logging food and exercise . Day three.......I look forward to reading more posts from you all. This menopausal crap sucks and weight is a huge part of this "mature" age of mine....(51) Have a great day!
    Kim
  • tammytylerjones
    tammytylerjones Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Morning all,

Another day moving DD#2 totally out of her college apt. She'll be home for the summer on Thursday. I think it will be her last... it's exciting times for her as she escapes the nest! Spent 6 hours in the car (3 up 3 back from Charlottesville) but still managed to get in 10,000 steps and eat right. Back on track. Off to walk and enjoy a gorgeous day here in Va Beach.

Getting used to the idea of moving to Charlottesville for retirement... thanks for all the advice/encouragement!! :smile:

Hugs to those of you who are struggling... Cheers to you who are moving forward!!
    xoxo
    tammy :flowerforyou: in Va Beach.
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,781 Member
    Options
    Good Morning!

Jb ... Mariah and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.

Kim ... I'm changing the whole family's diet ... if there are trigger foods available, he may be tempted! Fresh, homemade, preservative free is good for all of us ... some of the other things (like chocolate and cheese) are going to be harder.

Cynthia ... hope your job is not in jeopardy, but if it is, that there's a greater opportunity waiting for you!

Sandy in VA ... welcome!

Beth in Western New York
  • nccarolb
    nccarolb Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Good morning! Does anyone else ever want to just make the world stop for a few minutes while they catch their breath (and maybe catch up on sleep)? My son had to work until 11 p.m. last night after being told he was getting off at 10 p.m. I sat in the car the for over an hour in the heat and humidity--sweated buckets and played so much solitaire that my eyes were crossing! I was ever so happy to get home to my bed!

Thanks for all of the advice and good wishes about exercising with my knee out of commission. I will look up some "sitting" exercises today and try to implement them tonight.

Thanks, too, for the comments about condo living. I would love to have a townhouse type condo, but I'm not sure there are any in the area. Well, I do know of one place, but they are not in a particularly desirable part of town. I will be working with a real estate agent, so maybe she will know of something. In the complex I'm leaning towards, there are four units per floor. They are separated into two and two by the hallway. The two that adjoin are joined by the two bathrooms, laundry room, and kitchen, so the shared walls are not in living or sleeping areas. That I like very much. If I choose that complex, I want a rear unit so that I would have a balcony or patio (most of them look over grassy and wooded areas) and be away from the parking lot (no car lights in my windows). I'll have to figure it all out!

JB, I'm glad to hear a report with such an upbeat tone. Even though the procedures sound painful and discouraging, I hope there is some comfort in the doctors believing that treatments are worth using.

Beth, I am so happy that your son has had some relief. Hallelujah! When the always sick kid says he has no pain, you want to just dance and cry for joy.

My ex MIL called the other day and told me to be sure to tell her if she could help me in any way. (I've known her since 1980 and my daughter and I are the only two in town to respond if she needs help so she REALLY wants me to stay in the area.) I think I'm going to ask her to help with the expense of getting the house cleaned since I'm not going to be able to do the work myself. I have been searching my Groupon and Living Social deals for house cleaning, carpet cleaning, etc. and I've found some. My son has to finish all of his school work today so he is going to be free to work for ME beginning tomorrow! If I can get someone to deep clean the bathrooms and the rest of the kitchen and wash windows, I think I can manage the rest. BTW, the new paint and light fixtures look great. My handyman should be back tomorrow to begin the last bit of painting. Then I can get everything back to its home!

I thoroughly enjoyed my WordPress training yesterday! It was fun and exciting. There is lots more to learn but I can at least post and edit.

I have whined about the things that have gone wrong over the past week, but I need to also express the delight I had in getting to see my best female friend almost every day last week--a real joy since it's usually months and months between visits. I've also gotten to spend some quality time with my best male friend, and spending time with friends is a blessing and deserves to be celebrated.

Now, I'm off to to get some work done and to find some food. I've not yet gotten hungry this morning. BUT, I have pre-logged my food and have healthy stuff to eat today!

Have a great day!

Carol in NC
  • terewilliams
    terewilliams Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Hey Ladies,

I have really missed you. I asked DeeDee to let you all know that my son was hospitalized with some cardiac problems. I want to thank all of you for your prayers, hugs and thoughts. Megblair1, Margaretturk, Grandmallie, Katla49, Barbiecat, Yanniejannie, DeeDee2211, and cityjaneLondon thank you for the personal notes, well wishes and prayers.:love:

My son was released late Sunday afternoon and is at home.:smile: His father called an ambulance for him Tuesday afternoon because he was having shortness of breath.:sad: He refused the ambulance but his father was able to talk him into going to the hospital in his truck. He had just been in the hospital with an infected boil 2 weeks previously. Anyway, they concentrated on his heart this time. His entire lower body was swollen to the point that it looked like it would burst if you touched him; his resting heart rate was 137 and his blood pressure was normal. He had been treating himself with gout medicine because he thought he was having a gout attack. Last but not least, his admission screening weight was 465.2! :sad: All said and done he had fluid built up all over his body and around his heart (approximately 100 pounds worth); had an accelerated heartbeat, weakened heart muscles, severe sleep apnea and additional complications from gross obesity.:sad: What he thought was gout swelling was in fact the beginning of heart failure. They finally were able get 40 pounds of fluid off him and delivered an electrical shock to his heart to get it back in rhythm. OMG! It was quite a week! He has been counseled about his weight and must lose 265 pounds. I am encouraging him to sign up with MFP.

So now, I’m back! :happy: Its June and I must make up for lost time and the 4 pounds I picked up over my journey for the last couple of weeks. My goals for June are to 1) release 7 pounds; 2) to the gym at least 4 days each week; 3) walk the dog 5 days each week; and 4) have 8 glasses of water each day.

Tere
  • Cindy781
    Cindy781 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Good morning Ladies,

Hubby and I worked in the yard yesterday. In spite of the heat and wind it is looking great. I enjoyed sitting on the side patio indulging in a little glass of white wine last night. The breeze cooled off to a perfect hot flash cooling temperature.:smile:

Tere, welcome back. Sending healing thoughts for your son.

Grandmallie, go easy on yourself. This is a continual journey with easy days and difficult ones.

Jb, praying for you and your family.

Cynthia, if one door closes, it is because God has something better for you.

Welcome new ladies.

Hope everyone has a wonderful day,

Cindy in OK
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Heather: Depression is a sneaky thing and difficult to combat. I’ve been a victim at times and find a number of things helpful. The feeling of being able to fight back is probably the most helpful thing in the “toolbox.” I hope your son will be able to find things that he can do to help himself. My list includes medication and supplements, solar temperature lights and exercise. The ability to help myself has been wonderfully empowering. It sounds as though he’s already using some of the same tools. I wish him luck. I’m happy you’ll get the opportunity to see friends and cook them a fabulous meal.:flowerforyou:

Kalley: Good to see you posting again. I hope the meeting with your DB goes well.:flowerforyou:

Bwcetc: I’m so happy your son has had a few headache free days and hope he continues to be headache free. We’ve had lots of dietary experiments to combat DH’s health issues. Some of them have been very successful. After he got medication for his MS it has been easier and we’ve been able to let gluten back into our lives. Experimentation was interesting, and also expensive. Good food is the foundation of our health, so it is very much worthwhile. I’m hoping for his sake that you’re able to isolate your son’s trigger foods quickly and that the list is short.:flowerforyou:

Kayzoola: I hope you’re able to get your gardening sorted out. I don’t know where you are in the PNW but in our area we have a LONG growing season and can do fall crops of some of the things we miss in the spring. Tomato plants are big and still available at the garden stores. My beans never came up and I’m considering trying again for a fall crop.:flowerforyou:

Tamara: Welcome. Where are you from?:flowerforyou:

Yanniejannie: The boat ride was fun. I was tucked behind a windshield so my hair didn’t fly, but I love the image it conjures up. :laugh: :flowerforyou:

Vicki W: Welcome! I hear you about the weight coming back. I had a similar experience years ago. This time I’m staying on the diet even though I reached my goals. I’m still counting EVERY calorie but I’m getting more calories because I’m maintaining rather than losing. There are a few of us in this for maintenance support. Once you get the weight back off, I hope you’ll stick around.:flowerforyou:

Rori: I’ve been thinking about Meg, too. I’ll join you in sending prayers for her and all those in the storm area.:flowerforyou:

Barbie: I didn’t know you had a farm in the past. I wanted one when I was a kid. DH grew up on acreage and wasn’t enthused about the lifestyle but he was willing to accommodate me. I found we could afford acreage or a nice house, but not both. I picked the house.:flowerforyou:

Meg: I’m thinking of you in the storms and hope that you’re house isn’t damaged. I remember something about the basement flooding in the past. I hope it stays dry.:flowerforyou:

Amyloutoyou: Logging your meals is the most important step you can take toward improving your own health. Good luck.:flowerforyou:

Michele: We love Mexican Train dominoes and hope to get the neighbors hooked. We often play when the family is together for holidays.:flowerforyou:

TahoeReno: I hope you can open yourself to the possibilities here. What we believe can often guarantee a poor outcome, or inspire a successful one.:flowerforyou:

jb in Portland: Prayers for Mariah and the whole family. I’m glad they’re being aggressive with her treatment plan & pray it is successful. Are they still on the east coast?:flowerforyou:

Alison: It sounds like you’re stress eating. You’ve had enough stresses in the last year to account for it. What to do about it is the question. I hope you’ll find your balance soon. Have you tried stocking up on veggies like celery and carrots to help with the munchies? Hugs.:flowerforyou:

Tere: Welcome back! I’ve been thinking about you. I hope your son is on track to improve his health now & also hope he takes your advice about joining MFP. Social support will be important for success if he is at all like me. It is really tough when our children are caught in a negative lifestyle. I hope you have the support you need, too.:flowerforyou:

DH wants me to fix breakfast, so I’ll see you all later.

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

June Goals:
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least two glasses of water daily.
  • GiGisGreat
    Options
    New to the group. Getting it together after I ate my way out of a bad winter & finally faced the MUSIC yesterday. Ready to go & stay on track with logging food & exercise daily. Love the motivation & support here. Let's go everyone!!
    GiGi in Va.
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,372 Member
    Options
    Good afternoon everyone!:flowerforyou:

Tere - Glad to hear your son's immediate crisis is over. Unfortunately we can't do the hard work for them!:ohwell: :cry:

Meg, Vicki - I hope you are safe in the storms. I saw some news items on the internet. :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Jb- sounds as if the doctors are throwing everything at it, which means they have hope she will be cured.:flowerforyou: Such a terrible worry for you all. But children are do amazingly resilient.:love:

Just been out with DH to fetch in a bit of shopping. We're having Hairy Dieters paella tonight. It's delicious! I'm using our still madly producing broad beans instead of French beans. I'm determined to eat back fewer of my exercise calories so I can lose these 2 pounds that have crept up on me. Today I did 470 cals on the machines and 73 on strength training. But it's never enough! ! ! ! ! ! So from today no little sneaky bits or mints I have eaten late at night. Everything accounted for. I took a couple of too big skirts to the charity shop today:brokenheart: , two of my favourites and very expensive.:cry: I also remembered to take some unwanted gifts, still in their packets and some books. I think the young girl in there could learn to be a bit more gracious as she just said, 'take it to the back'. An older lady intervened and was more thankful. :tongue: There was a brand new leather wallet in there, still boxed, and a silk scarf with its ticket on. I don't expect them to fall all over me, but a warm smile and a thank you is nice!:grumble:

My French beans are being eaten by something as they come up so I have netted the area as I suspect the pigeons.:grumble: Only one yellow courgette has survived out of four so I have stuck a couple more seeds in. I am still waiting to see how many runner beans make it out of the ground - so far about half!:tongue:

Tomorrow we have a trip planned to Chichester. I want to look beautiful, :blushing: , so I will just do half an hour of strength training and forgo the machines so I have time for showering, blow drying and make up. We will be walking a lot, so hope to use up some calories that way. We should get round the cathedral, the art gallery, lunch in a pub and a visit to the museum of rural houses through the ages. I don't like motorways so we are going through the back ways and will cut through the South Downs so it should be a pretty ride. Coming back I might just sit in the back seat and let DH take the motorway. For some stupid reason I feel safer in the back!:blushing: :laugh: :tongue:

Love to all. Say safe.

Heather in showery Hampshire UK
  • possummama
    possummama Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I just found this thread and it is fantastic!
    My goals for this month:

Enjoy some of my exercise more, for example taking a beautiful invigorating walk outside instead of making myself reach a mile/time goal on the treadmill, swimming with my grandson instead of laps in the pool, etc..

Log my food intake religously and honestly.

gg
    Port Huron, MI, US
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    My third day of logging in to this thread. ;-)

I just sent for body fat calipers and the Jillian Michaels Shred DVD, which I'm not planning on starting til next month.

Hanging around being unproductive until my body pump class at 12:20 today.

I finished my anatamy chaptor for group fitness instructor certificate and read Chapter 2. I still have to finish the questions and then start chapter three, which is Kinesthesiology.

I've been getting 8 glasses of water in for the past 4 days.

Hope everyone is doing well working on their June goals ;-)

Jacqueline in NYC
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,660 Member
    Options
    Cynthia – job loss is so hard, and having it hanging over your head is crazy stressful.:grumble: Take care of yourself – sending good thoughts your way! LOLOL on the twit:laugh:

Sandy – welcome! You sound like you have a great start – much farther down the path than I was when I found MFP, we are a supportive chatty bunch – welcome

Alison – come here! With the time differences someone might be around!!! We won’t slap you but maybe distract you or remind you of a better choice:smile:

Kim W – welcome, we are both Kims – I usually sign off as Kim in N. California…

Tammy – great job getting all those steps and driving!

Beth - makes sense, and gets rid of the need to make 2 meals – and some of the treats like chocolate can be done out of the house, it will all be a challenge, but eating at a friends or at an event will be crazy… hopefully in 2-4 months you can add in things and make the change less huge! :happy:

Carol – YES, I often want the world to stop even for just an hour! You sound so much better, I was concerned you sounded down and that’s not your usual style.:wink: I think taking your MIL up on her offer is a great idea! WordPress training would be great; I used it for my blog for a while but found it to hard to have look as I wanted. So have just been using a facebook page instead.

Tere - How scary:sad: , so glad he was caught in time and his dad got him to go to the hospital. There are a lot of men on MFP, there seem to be some really supportive ones too. Does he live nearby? Is he staying with you for a while? Be kind to yourself this has been a stressful time, and I know you will continue to worry.

GiGi – Welcome

Heather – sounds like a great trip, enjoy your outing! Here they encourage us to put kids in the back and if possible in the center of the back seat it is supposed to be the safest. When you are in NY you are not renting a car are you?:noway: If you don’t like England’s motorways NYCity would scare the pants off you!

Checking on all the storms - hoping everyone in storm zones are safe! I am so glad that our issues are water and earthquakes, having my roof blow off is a crazy thought! We are starting a heat wave today - it is supposed to get to 90 today and 100+ over the weekend, my house has lots of large trees so the shade is a great help - as my old house has no air conditioning... so its fans and shade for me.

Smiles Kim in N. California
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,895 Member
    Options
    Hello to all: Hope those in the path of storms are all safe. We had a few thunder storms here last night but nothing severe thank goodness.

Cynthia - Hope things turn out well with the job. That is crazy stressful not knowing.

jb - Prayers for Mariah and family. Sounds like a really tough year. My DGD had a friend who was in a similar situation. This little girl made paper dolls and put a photo of her face on them then gave them to her friends. The paper dolls were taken on all sorts of adventures and pictures were taken. Then all of the pictures were put in a book. We took pictures of DGD and her paper doll friend riding my horse, swimming at the pool and at the children's museum. At the end of the summer this little girl had a book full of pictures of herself doing many fun things that she could not do in person because of her treatment.

So far today I have done my water works class and checked on the kitties I am cat-sitting for a friend besides doing a little housekeeping. Need to work some more on organizing and purging my files.

Allison - Don't beat yourself up over eating late. I often find that when I am tired I want to eat. I somehow think it will give me more energy but it doesn't work that way. Evening is when I crochet or read because then my hands and mind are busy and I am much less likely to eat. I crochet prayer shawls for our church and the prayers and meditations help too.

Healing angels to all who need them and congratulations to those with victories. Sue in SD