Evil Subway - Read this if you eat at there!

Replies

• geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Learning about all the chemicals in their bread, I may think twice about having it.
    I've heard from a 'reputable' source that they actually use a FUNGUS called Saccharomyces cerevisiae in it too!
    Worse, this actually changes naturally occurring carbohydrates into ETHANOL!
  • just_Jennie1
    just_Jennie1 Posts: 1,233

I think people have enough common sense to realize that the footlong meatball with cheese is going to have more calories than the footlong turkey breast with no cheese...

You'd be surprised at the lack of sense you witness when working behind the counter at a Subway.

Oh yes.

Some of my favorites:

"I'll take the pepper JOHN cheese.":ohwell:
    "Give me some of those Japanese chips" (jalapeño) :huh:
    "Would you like a six inch or footling?" "Which ever is bigger." :noway:

I would add...

It's pronounced HA-LA-PEN-YO and not JAH-LA-PEH-NO......sheesh!

"I'll take a meatball marina"
    "What comes on the chicken bacon ranch?"

Isn't it called a meatball marinara?

And the chicken bacon ranch is called a "chicken bacon ranch melt" on the website. Not sure if it lists all the things that are supposedly on it on the menu in the store but I can see why they'd wonder if there was anything additional on it.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    If/When I eat at Subway, I usually leave the cheese off. It really doesn't add any taste to the sandwich! It just adds calories, fat, and cholesterol.

The best is to do a turkey or ham salad. Have them put spinach in, instead of lettuce (which doesn't really have any nutritional value). Then load it up with all the veggies. Dressing on the side.

Learning about all the chemicals in their bread, I may think twice about having it.
    Cheese adds flavor if you like the taste of cheese . Everything adds calories, you make choices that work for you.
    You must only eat bread you make yourself, because almost all commercial bread includes those additives.
  • Just boycott the entire chain. duh. people are so f(*&^&* ignorant these days. demand a better life or you don't deserve one.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Just boycott the entire chain. duh. people are so f(*&^&* ignorant these days. demand a better life or you don't deserve one.

Strong first post :noway:
  • Keepcalmanddontblink
    Keepcalmanddontblink Posts: 718 Member
    I can only assume this person did their research. This is really scary for anyone who eats at Subway often. I used to eat there 1-2 times a week. Since I work from home now and don't eat out much, I don't eat there very often. Maybe once every 2 months. This is very sad news since I really like eating there.

http://www.hangthebankers.com/the-subway-deception/

From the article:

"Somebody should inform Subway that to make real whole-wheat bread all you really need is whole-wheat flour, yeast, salt, water, and maybe some honey. But that doesn’t really do anything for shelf life or the fact that the stores do not bake their breads.

While all the sandwiches contain chemical additives, refined bleached flour, preservatives, artificial colors, MSG, refined sugars, GMOs, and over 50 ingredients, only three contain nitrates. Yea! Far out! Only three!"
    Sorry for the nitpicky bit here, but they do bake their bread. They just don't make the dough, let it rise, and shape it. They get the dough frozen, let it thaw, rise and bake it. I used to work there
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    OP, really?

i_zps08965b87.gif
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Oh goodie, a sugar train and now a Subway train! Just waiting for a McDonald's train to start, and we are good to go for the day. Toot toot!

Bing, bong....watch the closing doors.
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    I can only assume this person did their research. This is really scary for anyone who eats at Subway often. I used to eat there 1-2 times a week. Since I work from home now and don't eat out much, I don't eat there very often. Maybe once every 2 months. This is very sad news since I really like eating there.

From the article:

"Somebody should inform Subway that to make real whole-wheat bread all you really need is whole-wheat flour, yeast, salt, water, and maybe some honey. But that doesn’t really do anything for shelf life or the fact that the stores do not bake their breads.

While all the sandwiches contain chemical additives, refined bleached flour, preservatives, artificial colors, MSG, refined sugars, GMOs, and over 50 ingredients, only three contain nitrates. Yea! Far out! Only three!"

Lol, does the author know green leafy veggies are chock full of nitrates?

Is that true???? I think you're playing.....becasue I totally take your comments as gospel, for real. I'm turtley cereal...
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member

From the article:

Is that true???? I think you're playing.....becasue I totally take your comments as gospel, for real. I'm turtley cereal...

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/876436-stop-eating-green-veggies
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member

From the article:

Fun fact: the "no nitrates added" bacon you see everywhere these days? They all have celery salt.

Guess what the primary component of celery salt is.
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Looove me some subway! Eat there twice a week. Bummed they took away the medetteranian subs though. Werent teh greatest calorie content, but loved them.

I love them because you can get alot of bang for your buck, calorie-wise. Footlong sub full of veggies, some meat, and bread all in one sandwich and fills you up and quite honestly some days it is my lunch and dinner with 6" sub at each meal!
  • natstar26
    natstar26 Posts: 130 Member
    Subway is very high in sodium so you have to be careful and they do have a list of what not to order if you don't want high fat or sodium ect right on the glass as you order. If you aren't sure ask (they will probably have no clue lmao) or go online to their website and figure out whats the best option for you....
  • ksuh999
    ksuh999 Posts: 543 Member

From the article:

Yes. Vegetables have lots and lots of nitrates.

http://chriskresser.com/the-nitrate-and-nitrite-myth-another-reason-not-to-fear-bacon
  • Interesting article, but not well written.

"Studies have shown that it only takes about 1.8 ounces of processed meat to increase the proliferation of cancer by 50 percent, heart disease by 42 percent, and diabetes by 19 percent. These Subway sandwiches contain twice that amount. Yummmmmy!"

No reference to study, no context given. Was proliferation measured in humans, or in isolated cells etc?
  • twinkles2121
    twinkles2121 Posts: 137 Member
    Has anyone figured out what that spongy crap that Subway identifies as “chicken” actually is?

NOW we're asking the real questions :laugh:
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Just boycott the entire chain. duh. people are so f(*&^&* ignorant these days. demand a better life or you don't deserve one.

Strong first post :noway:
    :laugh: He dredged up an ancient thread for that??? yowsa.
  • RockWarrior84
    RockWarrior84 Posts: 839 Member

From the article:

Sorry for the nitpicky bit here, but they do bake their bread. They just don't make the dough, let it rise, and shape it. They get the dough frozen, let it thaw, rise and bake it. I used to work there

That is what I thought. Typical person running across an article and randomly and posts it like fact.

Here let me go the national inquirer for some facts.....oh hey check it out man give birth to triplets.