So many people with respectively high final GWs....

Options

Replies

• Alta_
    Alta_ Posts: 5
    Options
    I started at 192 and set my goal for 140. Once I reached it I knew I could do more and am now 124. Setting too low of a goal can be intimidating and setting a "higher number" goal can seem more attainable and might be more motivating because of that. I think a lot of people keep going once they reach that goal and see how their body looks at that size. Everyone is different though
  • Sarahsteve7kids
    Sarahsteve7kids Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I get where the OP is coming from but I chuckle over the flip side of it. When I say I am 5'4" tall and that my goal weight is 120 I'm told by MANY, 'oh that's too small for your height, you'll bet skinny"! I find comments like that more amusing. When I state I weighed that for years it is usually followed by "well your older now you 'should' weigh more"! A statement I totally disagree with!
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    If someone loses 175 pounds, literally half of their body weight....they can set whatever hell goal they want as far as I'm concerned.
  • srslybritt
    srslybritt Posts: 1,618 Member
    Options
    I see it a lot with women, especially. For example, a 5'4" female starts out with a weight of 350 pounds, and her goal is to get to 175 pounds. That's still obese! I see this a lot where people set goal weights when they are probably underestimating their potential! I understand people want to set realistic goals, but why go so far when you only just a little more to go before your REAL moment of victory? The "healthy" range! Really, if you've set a high final goal weight, consider the fact that with a little more time, you can do even more than that! All it takes is a little more time.

You know, a 50% reduction in body size is pretty im....what's that? OP is 20? Oh, i'm sorry. She clearly knows everything, as i did at that age. Carry on:flowerforyou:
    As someone 1 year OP's senior, I feel I should take offense to this...
  • Oi_Sunshine
    Oi_Sunshine Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    Maybe try reaching your goal before chastising others for not having good enough goals.

I love you. In a non-creepy, platonic, internet stranger sort of way.
    I'm going to shut up, now.
  • Geojerm
    Geojerm Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I'm not one to judge someone else's goals, personally. I think goals like cutting your weight in HALF or more is substantial and is a great goal to have. I think what you're not realizing is that our goals are constantly changing. Just because that's someone's initial GW, doesn't mean that when they reach it they won't reassess and figure out they want to do more. Or maybe they're totally satisfied with it, that's for them to decide.

And what is a "REAL" moment of victory anyway? Can you really decide that for other people?

^^ this (very well put)
  • AliceSwarthout
    AliceSwarthout Posts: 808 Member
    Options
    :laugh: seriously though
    YAY FOR THE FIRST BODY SHAMING TOPIC OF THURSDAY!

From a 20 year old.

Who has a lot of life experience.
  • Geojerm
    Geojerm Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    My goal was to lose 5 pounds. I just did it 14 times. Grand total of 70 pounds. Not once did I set a goal of 70.

i love this !!
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    *walks in, looks around, suspects troll post, walks back out*
  • calibriintx
    calibriintx Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    tumblr_inline_n4ioi6W0Dw1rnvwt1.gif
  • sfbaumgarten
    sfbaumgarten Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    delightful.

incredibly.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    So I set my goal for 180, maybe 170 if i am feeling ambitious. How do you know that that would make me obese? Do YOU know my BF%? DO you know my body composition and the weight of my muscles and bones in comparison to my fat? Maybe I'll have 20 extra pounds of skin after losing over 100 pounds? Hmm?

I don't know if you were trying to be inspirational and have your own "Fat girl at the track" moment but it backfired just as harshly as that did.

We do not need your approval for our weightloss goals. Losing weight for many of us is so so much more then simply "losing weight" for many of us we are releasing the past. Each pound lost is a moment in our life where we let go of one of our bad choices. Each pound lost brings us another ounce of confidence. Each pound lost is a slap in the face for every person who called us lazy, who hurt us, who broke us down.

So how DARE you belittle our victories. Just because you were not happy at 160 does not mean that "He' or "She" cannot be happy at 160. Because to me, or to many of us, our goal weight, not matter what it is, is a victory because we overcame our own trials and tribulations.

Good luck with your fitness aspirations, OP. I genuinely hope you are able to obtain them and find the peace, happiness, and victory you seek, just as I wish this for every person on here NO MATTER WHAT THEIR FITNESS GOALS ARE. (this, of course, excludes goals that support eating disorders because those are not fitness oriented and deserve proper help and medical attention, but I will support overcoming the disease)

Glozell-Preach.gif
  • Pixi_Rex
    Pixi_Rex Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    I see it a lot with women, especially. For example, a 5'4" female starts out with a weight of 350 pounds, and her goal is to get to 175 pounds. That's still obese! I see this a lot where people set goal weights when they are probably underestimating their potential! I understand people want to set realistic goals, but why go so far when you only just a little more to go before your REAL moment of victory? The "healthy" range! Really, if you've set a high final goal weight, consider the fact that with a little more time, you can do even more than that! All it takes is a little more time.

Stop being stupid and stop caring about what other people want in their lives, it doesn't affect you if someone who is 5'4 wants to be 175 pounds, so what the hell does it matter?
  • cparter
    cparter Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    After seeing the ops previous posts, it is safe to say that one should not throw stones if you are living in a glass house. There are a lot of openings for someone to judge/slander/etc. the OPs idea of healthy change. The OP still stink this is about dieting vice a sustainable lifestyle change. Dieters rebound and gain. People who realize this is a lifetime change may have set backs as well but they have learned about eating meals (not starting themselves) and her comments on starvation mode borders on unsafe because they are clueless clamour with no sustance.
  • kconrad1712
    kconrad1712 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    If someone has to lose weight, be it 5 pounds or 25 pounds or 175 pounds, EVERY SINGLE DAMN POUND is a victory. If it was so easy to get to your goal, you wouldn't be here either. You have no right to judge others' goals. Live and let live. You are neither an expert on goal setting, nor an expert of determining what will make others happy.

So, move along. We don't need your kind in here!
  • LassoOfTruth
    LassoOfTruth Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    As said person that started at 325, and my goal is 195. What does it matter to you what my goal is? I just don't want to be 325 anymore, and 195 sounds like a nice number.
  • MegE_N
    MegE_N Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Oh look, the 'concern police' are out again, judging other people because they just "care so much."

Go home. A person who loses 100+ lbs is much healthier than they were, even if they are still listed in the 'obese' range. It is a huge accomplishment, and anyone who has succeeded in doing so (I know I haven't) deserves all the praise and admiration in the world.
  • Oi_Sunshine
    Oi_Sunshine Posts: 819 Member
    Options

Stop being stupid and stop caring about what other people want in their lives, it doesn't affect you if someone who is 5'4 wants to be 175 pounds, so what the hell does it matter?

Aw, it's another person I love! :love: :flowerforyou: :heart:
  • bethlaf
    bethlaf Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    When someone starts with a very high weight, it's best to set a goal that is perhaps higher than the "healthy" range. Have some compassion and imagine how daunting having a goal of 200 pound loss must be. Many larger people set several goals. Maybe start with a goal of losing 50 pounds/getting out of the morbid obese category to just obese, then maybe another goal to get into just the "overweight" territory, then a final goal. And even if they never get to in the "healthy" range, losing 175 pounds is still a huge achievement and the person has probably vastly improved their health.
    THIS!!! how is my mini goal anyones business but my own ?
    personally i set micro goals all the time !.
    i just passed 2 last month , 50lbs lost , and now out of morbidly obese- and under 40 BMI ..
    even the goal on my ticker is not my Ulitimate goal , but it is a good goal none the less...
    goals are meant to be achieved , and then SURPASSED. and set a new goal.
    thats the point.
    We set mini goals every day ...
    get up on time , get to work on time , do a good job , dont kill anyone ....
    get home, take care of kids/pets/spouses dont kill anyone
    feed self and others dont kill anyone ...