Tips for a ROOKIE REGISTERED for a FULL MARATHON

Options

Replies

• Chimis_Siq
    Chimis_Siq Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    So yeah. I did it. lol..Im running a FULL marathon MAY 2015. I cant run. Well maybe for 30 seconds.

I did it because in 6 days I will have had 1 yr on this fitness journey. Ive come leaps and bounds. Long story short..I was immobile at 272 lbs a year ago to now being active, almost 50 lbs lighter, and ALIVE! Sorry Im also 29! :)

SO to reward myself for my year, Ive registered for a FULL Marathon. Im a rookie. I know the road is going to be long, but I got this! (I think ..lol).

Any tips for a first time Marathoner would be amzing! Something that you learned doing yours that noone told you. I want the good the bad and the ugly. Female advice also greatly appreciated for obvious reasons.

HELP skinny at heart person out! :)

Hellllloooo first and foremost welcome to the grind!

I am running my 6th marathon in the fall and each time I learn something new.

For my first marathon, I followed Nike's 16 week training schedule to a Tee. Didn't miss a beat. That being said, there are a lot of marathon plans out there and you need to find what works for you. Every year, I end up finding one that I like the looks of and now tweak it. Training doesn't typically start until 16 weeks out, but as you said in your initial post you can't run right now. 26.2 is a realllly looong waaays to go not knowing if you even like distance running. I'm not going to discourage as I think this is great but I suggest you start some mild training now. Get your distance up to about 6 miles. Most training plans assume you can run that and factor that in to their 16 week plans. If this is something you really want to do, its not impossible - it will take a lot of work leading up to February, before actual training starts. That all being said, things I think you should know:

* Running is a mental game. Somedays you will love it, other days you will hate it. Some runs will be amazing and others won't. You need to be able to decipher for yourself these days and not allow them to get you down. Find yourself a running mantra for the tough days. Mine is, "One day you will no longer be able to do this, today is NOT that day" There are tons out there and all you need to do is to google.

*Running is personal. Determine within yourself why you want to do this and write those reasons down and have the list readily available for times when you question it. Try not to look at your runs as work but rather release. I get some of my best ideas on a run. But know running is the one place you can go and that moment will be all yours.

*As daunting as the marathon can be, there are so many wonderful aspects on race day that will make you forget your nerves. I run Chicago every year which has 1.2 million people present and the streets are lined with spectators and supporters. I don't know which marathon you signed up for but courses that are highly touted help you beat the mental and emotional stresses on race day.

* Learn how to eat properly. When you start training, you feel HANGRY all the damn time. Your body will adjust but its not a reason to not carefully monitor your intake. A lot of people gain weight during marathon training. Carbo- loading sounds like fun but not as effective as people once thought. Runners diets consist of a lot of veggies, fruits, low fat dairy and grains. This all brings me to another very important, TMI topic: POOP. If you do not properly control your nutrition leading up to AM runs or race days - you may find your bowel movements to be off or needing to poop in the middle of a run with nowhere to go. In the days leading up to races, you need to cut back on high-fat, High-protein, large amounts of dairy and High- processed foods. The reason being is how it creates a waste in your body and how your body needs to dispel of it. Runner's world is a great magazine that explained this to me a loooong time ago. Active.com also posts a lot of informative pieces.

* Learn how to fuel. Use your long runs to figure out how to fuel yourself. Which Gu's, Gels, chomps, drinks, etc. work. Typically, you shouldn't need to refuel until after 6 miles and then every 6 after that. I find gels to be gross, they just don't work for me so I like Gatorade's line of chews and pretzels. You will also need to determmine how and when to take water and electrolyte. Invest in a runners belt for training, if you have a well-run marathon, you won't need to carry it then. To get a variety of different fueling samples, I use Runner's Box subscription service, each month they'll send you a box full of runner's goodies.

* Porta potties are gross. Invest in a small pouch that either goes on your running belt or you can use for race day that you can carry bandaids, wipes and other necessary items in. (*cough* lady products * cough* )

* Your body will do weird things while it adapts, your TOM may change - it may get better or worse depending on your body. You will learn very quickly how and what affects your body. You will feel pain in places you didn't know existed.

* Go to a running store, get fitted for shoes and change them every 3-6 months to avoid injury. While there invest in a foam roller ( trigger point is fantastic) Body glide ( no one likes chub rub - use this around your bra, arms and most definitely between your legs), running sunglasses, garmin ( or something other than a phone app that give you an accurate mileage) and Tech tees and shorts. This is special material that is sweat-wicking and breathable. NEVER wear cotton. If you have big boobs, get a maximum compression sports bra and strap those ladies down! They will also fit you for this at any good running store. Make sure anything that you wear on race day, you have tested on a long run.

* Get a 26.2 support crew - a group of people who will follow you around and cheer you on in the marathon and set a plan so you know when you will see them. This is a bonding activity every year for me and BFF. But instead of counting down mile markers, you will focus on when you will next see your group.

* Getting your period on race day or any day around it sucks. Especially if you crap or have any type of issues. If you are on BC and control it, skip it altogether you will be so much happier.

* Get a reallllly good playlist and have a "go -to" song. Whenever you get hit in the middle of a run and just aren't feeling it anymore, go to your song and get yourself pumped back up. It usually helps if its upbeat. Mine right now is Macklemore's Can't hold us

* DO YOUR TEMPO RUNS! They make a huge difference in pace!

* CROSS-TRAIN! It helps with pacing and avoiding injury. Spinning and swimming is great cross-training.

*Do not skip strength training. Make sure to focus on your core and lift on both lower body and upper body. Even though running seems to be a lower body activity, you will draw a lot of energy from pumping your arms as well.

* Keep in mind, you will get passed and you will pass others. But your only competition is you, your own time and your own goals. Its no one else's race except yours.

* Do yoga. Especially if you hate regular stretching. Its a lot less boring in my opinion but its really good for opening up the hips which runners often neglect.

* LIsten to your body. it will tell you what it needs.

That's all I have for now, I'm sure there's more. Feel free to friend me or message me with any questions. Hope this helps! Its just one foot in front of the other! Best of luck!

Yes, ! JUut what I needed! So you are saying BC-skip it?

Use your BC to skip your period! Don't skip te BC! LOL

I was like huh? lol gotcha.
  • itodd4019
    itodd4019 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I ran my first marathon in 1992. Ran tons of them since, along with lots of other events.

I can never understand why "runners," won't support a bucket list marathon runner. If someone wants to just go finish a marathon and scratch it off, let them.

Yes, I will run for life, but not everybody wants to. Some people just want to do a marathon, get the t-shirt and then get on with their lives.

I guess I get defensive "for them" because my fiance is one of them.

that is all

Who was being unsupportive?

by unsupportive I meant, she registered for an event, has a date, and many are telling her to ditch that plan. "1000 X" switch to the half.

I think she has plenty of time, to run/walk, then acclimate to a run and have a nice time in May of next year.
  • Chimis_Siq
    Options
    WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOA. LOL.

I will do it.

I will finish.

I got this.

If I cared what all the critics told me I wouldnt do it :). Not my style.

I do have a year. I do have the physical capability. Ive been working out, eating healthy for a year..that is my base. I start working towards a run now and next year this time I will be running.

Like I said Im not doing it to become worlds best runner. Im doing it to finish. I promised myself I would.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Start running
  • Amberlynnek
    Amberlynnek Posts: 405 Member
    Options

I will do it.

I will finish.

I got this.

I do have a year. I do have the physical capability. Ive been working out, eating healthy for a year..that is my base. I start working towards a run now and next year this time I will be running.

Like I said Im not doing it to become worlds best runner. Im doing it to finish. I promised myself I would.

That right there is all you need to tell yourself.
  • itodd4019
    Options
    yes you do!!! Yes you can. Most marathons have a 16 minute pace minimum. Keep that in mind as you train. You do not need to get to a 10 min mile or anything. When you walk, walk with purpose.

Right now, Gidget, my fiance, is knocking out 13 minute miles including walk breaks. Her run pace is about 12 mm. Her long run is 8 miles. She had never run a lick until about 6 months ago. and we are 46 years old.

get a pic of your metal and put it all over the place

believe in you

edit to change, it's been about 6 mos for Gidg, and we are old.
  • ReneeDawalga5100
    ReneeDawalga5100 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    bump
  • runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    So yeah. I did it. lol..Im running a FULL marathon MAY 2015. I cant run. Well maybe for 30 seconds.

I did it because in 6 days I will have had 1 yr on this fitness journey. Ive come leaps and bounds. Long story short..I was immobile at 272 lbs a year ago to now being active, almost 50 lbs lighter, and ALIVE! Sorry Im also 29! :)

SO to reward myself for my year, Ive registered for a FULL Marathon. Im a rookie. I know the road is going to be long, but I got this! (I think ..lol).

Any tips for a first time Marathoner would be amzing! Something that you learned doing yours that noone told you. I want the good the bad and the ugly. Female advice also greatly appreciated for obvious reasons.

My honest honest opinion. Do not back off now that you have signed.

If pace is not your goal and if you are not concerned if you had to use run/walk method to complete the race .... I would blindly suggest you. DO IT.

But pick up the training plan accordingly. And stick to it.

Humans are capable of achieving anything they set for provided the goals are set reasonably.
  • runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    yes you do!!! Yes you can. Most marathons have a 16 minute pace minimum. Keep that in mind as you train. You do not need to get to a 10 min mile or anything. When you walk, walk with purpose.

Right now, Gidget, my fiance, is knocking out 13 minute miles including walk breaks. Her run pace is about 12 mm. Her long run is 8 miles. She had never run a lick until about 6 months ago. and we are 46 years old.

believe in you

+1
  • ejoy77
    ejoy77 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Your goal for now should be to build a base. Running several days a week.
    ^ This!

I think it's absolutely possible for you to finish a marathon a year from now (so don't listen to the naysayers), but the first step is really just to establish a base of running. C25K is a great place to start. Get to the point where you can run 5K, then keep doing that 3-4x/week. Once you have that well established and you're feeling comfortable, you're ready to start running longer distances. But for now, you just need to build a running base.

FWIW, I went from being a non-runner to running a marathon in about 18 mos. Run some races at intermediate distances (5K, 10K, half marathon) before marathon day, just so you have some experience under your belt. It will go better if you know what to expect.

It sounds like you have a pretty realistic goal: to finish the race. And if you aren't concerned about time (which you should NOT be), you can totally do this. It will be tough, and it will take a genuinely huge time commitment, especially as you get closer to the marathon date. But you can do it.
  • DYELB
    DYELB Posts: 7,407 Member
    Options
    I would shoot for walking a majority of it if possible. Completion is what matters, not time.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options

I will do it.

I will finish.

I got this.

Your goal gives you a thin margin for error. C25K and B210K total about 15 weeks ... four months down assuming everything stays on schedule. Figure another 12-16 weeks for most beginner half marathon programs and we're well over half a year gone .. again, assuming everything goes perfectly as hoped. The problem is that training rarely goes as hoped. Injuries, illness, weather, and life intervene. Plan A is a full marathon from no running base in less than a year ... ambitious. What is plan B?
  • Chimis_Siq
    Options

believe in you

Go Gidget! I have friends that are runners and told me..if a 90 yr old can finish, suck it up and do it. lol
  • Chimis_Siq
    Options

I will do it.

I will finish.

I got this.

Your goal gives you a thin margin for error. C25K and B210K total about 15 weeks ... four months down assuming everything stays on schedule. Figure another 12-16 weeks for most beginner half marathon programs and we're well over half a year gone .. again, assuming everything goes perfectly as hoped. The problem is that training rarely goes as hoped. Injuries, illness, weather, and life intervene. Plan A is a full marathon from no running base in less than a year ... ambitious. What is plan B?
    Plan B is finish the marathon. lol.
  • Chimis_Siq
    Options
    ^ This!

I think it's absolutely possible for you to finish a marathon a year from now (so don't listen to the naysayers), but the first step is really just to establish a base of running. C25K is a great place to start. Get to the point where you can run 5K, then keep doing that 3-4x/week. Once you have that well established and you're feeling comfortable, you're ready to start running longer distances. But for now, you just need to build a running base.

FWIW, I went from being a non-runner to running a marathon in about 18 mos. Run some races at intermediate distances (5K, 10K, half marathon) before marathon day, just so you have some experience under your belt. It will go better if you know what to expect.

It sounds like you have a pretty realistic goal: to finish the race. And if you aren't concerned about time (which you should NOT be), you can totally do this. It will be tough, and it will take a genuinely huge time commitment, especially as you get closer to the marathon date. But you can do it.

Thank you! I know the hill is steep, but I will finish. No matter if its in 5 hrs, or 7. It will get done. :)
  • itodd4019
    Options

I will do it.

I will finish.

I got this.

this math does not work for her marathon goal. The B210K is all about building a continuous run, and getting to a 60 minute run. She never has to run a cotinuous 60 minutes. Heck, she never has to run a continuous 15. Also the 12-16 week programs are based on a continuous run start point.

edit to add - ok, I will stop now. I get all involved, it's in my nature.

:tongue:
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

I will do it.

I will finish.

I got this.

That right there is all you need to tell yourself.

Unfortunately it doesn't all boil down to mentality.

I am all for setting big goals, but I also strongly believe that that has to be balanced with being realistic. The points SonicDeathMonkey and others made were not criticism, it was realism. People with a strong running base get injured all the time training for a marathon, a new person to running will have an even higher risk.
    I coach a Learn to Run program (same as C25k), less than half the people who start make it through the program, many because of dealing with even minor injuries.
    Unfortunately when it comes to running injuries, many require time off to recover (some you can run through).

Like others have said, it is posssible, if everything goes right. And I hope it does for you. But I don't think it is wise to pretend like it is as simple as just willing it to happen.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    So I do think the human body is capable of alot more then we give it credit for.

My body may/ may not give out during the race. I may / may not finish it, but you better believe I dont quit, even if I have to crawl to get there. Im taking things slow yet moving forward and being efficient. I will get fitted shoes. I will stretch. I will definitely meet my nutrition and sleep needs. I will ice. I will learn to love it.

Thank you all again! Alot of useful information!

But why? Humans have a lot of experience at the marathon distance. There has been tons of research on running and distance running. We know that the body adapts to running over time, that it takes a year to make the first round of adaptations that will prepare you to train for a marathon.

Why crawl across the finish line when you could cross it at a sore but satisfied jog 24 months from now? Where is the glory in under training? It's kind of like saying, "I'd like to try plyometrics, so I think I'll just go jump off the roof."

Guess what races experienced runners are most likely to describe as challenging? The 10k. The mile. Those distances are HARD to run right.

You know what's really difficult and admirable for a beginning runner? Consistently hitting 25 miles a week for a year. That's a great goal and will make you a fabulous runner for the long term. You do that and you'll be able to do any race at any distance any time you choose.

You are right. I guess I was just saying if in fact I die towards the end. lol I obviously plan on finishing, running, and doing well...I have a year to adapt to running, and 16 weeks before Ill really hit the "training" for the purpose of the marathon run.

Thanks again.

Running will teach you more than I ever can.

I mean, who knows - maybe you'll enjoy running for 7 hours. I can tell you that my mantra for my three hour runs was "It will not end. Keep running."

I'm also a little envious of the 6+ hours a week you have to devote to it. I want to run a marathon and am capable of completing the training...I just don't have the time right now.

And I'm not going to go in there without preparing myself. It's one thing to ask for help when your body craps out on you. It's totally different thing to put yourself in that position on purpose and then have others spend their time fixing the situation.
  • ejoy77
    ejoy77 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    ^ This!

Thank you! I know the hill is steep, but I will finish. No matter if its in 5 hrs, or 7. It will get done. :)

Good luck to you!

I do want to add one more thing: I'm not trying to be all negative or anything, but it is entirely possible that you will encounter an injury along the way, which could interfere with your plans. It happens, and since you're going to be increasing mileage a lot fairly quickly, it really is a real possibility for you. (which is not to say it WILL happen, but that it COULD happen). Just remember it's more important to take care of your body and health than it is to finish this particular race at this particular time. It's really easy (or at least it was for me) to get in a mindset where you are focused entirely on just achieving this one giant goal, to the detriment of all else in your life. But don't forget to listen to your body and take care of it along the way.

That said, I wish you all the best over the next 11 months!
  • Chimis_Siq
    Options

My honest honest opinion. Do not back off now that you have signed.

If pace is not your goal and if you are not concerned if you had to use run/walk method to complete the race .... I would blindly suggest you. DO IT.

But pick up the training plan accordingly. And stick to it.

Humans are capable of achieving anything they set for provided the goals are set reasonably.

We are the same person in a past life! I will def train smart. Yes humans are wonderful beings!