Tips for a ROOKIE REGISTERED for a FULL MARATHON

Options

Replies

• Chimis_Siq
    Chimis_Siq Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    Your goal for now should be to build a base. Running several days a week.
    ^ This!

I think it's absolutely possible for you to finish a marathon a year from now (so don't listen to the naysayers), but the first step is really just to establish a base of running. C25K is a great place to start. Get to the point where you can run 5K, then keep doing that 3-4x/week. Once you have that well established and you're feeling comfortable, you're ready to start running longer distances. But for now, you just need to build a running base.

FWIW, I went from being a non-runner to running a marathon in about 18 mos. Run some races at intermediate distances (5K, 10K, half marathon) before marathon day, just so you have some experience under your belt. It will go better if you know what to expect.

It sounds like you have a pretty realistic goal: to finish the race. And if you aren't concerned about time (which you should NOT be), you can totally do this. It will be tough, and it will take a genuinely huge time commitment, especially as you get closer to the marathon date. But you can do it.

Thank you! I know the hill is steep, but I will finish. No matter if its in 5 hrs, or 7. It will get done. :)

Good luck to you!

I do want to add one more thing: I'm not trying to be all negative or anything, but it is entirely possible that you will encounter an injury along the way, which could interfere with your plans. It happens, and since you're going to be increasing mileage a lot fairly quickly, it really is a real possibility for you. (which is not to say it WILL happen, but that it COULD happen). Just remember it's more important to take care of your body and health than it is to finish this particular race at this particular time. It's really easy (or at least it was for me) to get in a mindset where you are focused entirely on just achieving this one giant goal, to the detriment of all else in your life. But don't forget to listen to your body and take care of it along the way.

That said, I wish you all the best over the next 11 months!

Yes, you are so right. Thank you :)
  • segovm
    segovm Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    I never tried to run a marathon. I used to jog all the time when I was a kid and doing twenty plus miles on a long day out wasn't all that unusual.

Honestly if you just enjoy running you'll figure out if a marathon is right for you and as others have mentioned, injuries are sort of the big wild card. I think most folks are suggesting the whole go slow route just because with running, if you press too hard, the body is remarkably unforgiving.

Probably because I took things at a jog instead of a run, there wasn't a whole lot of difference between 10 miles and 20 miles for me. I never had a voice screaming in my head that I needed to stop or I couldn't go on. I just jogged because I enjoyed jogging. I can't imagine why I would do anything for fun if it made me miserable.

I admire big goals though so good luck with it. Try not to hurt yourself because as others have mentioned, a lot of times when you get hurt running the only solution is to not run for a good long time.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    I ran my first marathon in 1992. Ran tons of them since, along with lots of other events.

I can never understand why "runners," won't support a bucket list marathon runner. If someone wants to just go finish a marathon and scratch it off, let them.

Yes, I will run for life, but not everybody wants to. Some people just want to do a marathon, get the t-shirt and then get on with their lives.

I guess I get defensive "for them" because my fiance is one of them.

that is all

Who was being unsupportive?

by unsupportive I meant, she registered for an event, has a date, and many are telling her to ditch that plan. "1000 X" switch to the half.

I think she has plenty of time, to run/walk, then acclimate to a run and have a nice time in May of next year.

I'm sorry...but I don't offer blind support. I prefer to offer support what will encourage the person to continue on and get to the end injury free. With being a runner yourself, you should know how blind support can cause injury....and long lasting injury....to a runner. I would prefer to see the OP cross the finish line, injury free and her body built to take on the task of building up the aerobic capacity of what a marathon will take from you and continuing on to become a consistant member of our running world.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    In...

...to see how this goes.
  • kdeanosu
    kdeanosu Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    bump
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOA. LOL.

I will do it.

I will finish.

I got this.

If I cared what all the critics told me I wouldnt do it :). Not my style.

I do have a year. I do have the physical capability. Ive been working out, eating healthy for a year..that is my base. I start working towards a run now and next year this time I will be running.

Like I said Im not doing it to become worlds best runner. Im doing it to finish. I promised myself I would.

Your goal gives you a thin margin for error. C25K and B210K total about 15 weeks ... four months down assuming everything stays on schedule. Figure another 12-16 weeks for most beginner half marathon programs and we're well over half a year gone .. again, assuming everything goes perfectly as hoped. The problem is that training rarely goes as hoped. Injuries, illness, weather, and life intervene. Plan A is a full marathon from no running base in less than a year ... ambitious. What is plan B?
    Plan B is finish the marathon. lol.

That's wonderful until you roll an ankle, tweak a muscle or joint, get the flu, or any other minor setback occurs. All or nothing isn't usually the wisest course of action.
  • Chimis_Siq
    Options
    WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOA. LOL.

I will do it.

I will finish.

I got this.

If I cared what all the critics told me I wouldnt do it :). Not my style.

I do have a year. I do have the physical capability. Ive been working out, eating healthy for a year..that is my base. I start working towards a run now and next year this time I will be running.

Like I said Im not doing it to become worlds best runner. Im doing it to finish. I promised myself I would.

Your goal gives you a thin margin for error. C25K and B210K total about 15 weeks ... four months down assuming everything stays on schedule. Figure another 12-16 weeks for most beginner half marathon programs and we're well over half a year gone .. again, assuming everything goes perfectly as hoped. The problem is that training rarely goes as hoped. Injuries, illness, weather, and life intervene. Plan A is a full marathon from no running base in less than a year ... ambitious. What is plan B?
    Plan B is finish the marathon. lol.

That's wonderful until you roll an ankle, tweak a muscle or joint, get the flu, or any other minor setback occurs. All or nothing isn't usually the wisest course of action.

You are right, but I cant plan like that. What if a bus hits me before the race? What if I die?

Its all how you look at it. I will deal with injuries if /when they come, I will try 100% to train smartly to be there on race day and to finish on race day.
  • iwannabinnarnia
    iwannabinnarnia Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I agree with others who have said to switch to a half. A friend and I decided on a whim to sign up for a half marathon. Neither of us were really 'in shape'... but we 'trained' for about 8 months or so for it. It was the hardest thing we have ever done. We walked the whole thing and it wiped us out and again that was a HALF.... and I lost a toenail over it. If we had started with a full marathon we would've probably never finished, or hurt ourselves trying to finish. Now I know everyone is different, and you just might succeed and I do wish you luck! BUT... I would suggest starting with a half.. see how it goes... you can always do a full one the next year... Sooooooo..... switch to a half... and get professionally fitted shoes, your toenails will thank you.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Hello All! I REALLY appreciate the honesty. Some of you probably think Im a little dumb for doing this race,.....

See this right here, no one thinks that. No one is calling you dumb or thinking you're dumb. What they are doing is trying to keep you from getting hurt. There are a lot of experienced runners in here giving fantastic advice for free, and the consensus is that a half marathon is much more appropriate goal. And guess what? Running a half marathon is still a kick *kitten* accomplishment. I've never done it, and God willing, I never ever ever will. You'll have me and about 95% of the human race beat by miles.

It's not dumb to shoot for the moon. We all admire what you've done so far and what you hope to accomplish. What would be dumb, however, is to ask for advice, then receive a ton of great advice from people with experience, and then throw that advice out of the window.
  • Some_Watery_Tart
    Some_Watery_Tart Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    Ok, I just want to ask the obvious question: OP, do you know if you ENJOY running? Because marathon training is absolutely grueling even for those who love to run.

I'm not trying to talk you out of it. If you enjoy running, and you're in good health, there's no reason not to try. I just wanted to make sure you thought about this part. Because if you discover that you hate running, this is going to suck--bad.
  • Chimis_Siq
    Options
    Hello All! I REALLY appreciate the honesty. Some of you probably think Im a little dumb for doing this race,.....

See this right here, no one thinks that. No one is calling you dumb or thinking you're dumb. What they are doing is trying to keep you from getting hurt. There are a lot of experienced runners in here giving fantastic advice for free, and the consensus is that a half marathon is much more appropriate goal. And guess what? Running a half marathon is still a kick *kitten* accomplishment. I've never done it, and God willing, I never ever ever will. You'll have me and about 95% of the human race beat by miles.

It's not dumb to shoot for the moon. We all admire what you've done so far and what you hope to accomplish. What would be dumb, however, is to ask for advice, then receive a ton of great advice from people with experience, and then throw that advice out of the window.

Im not NOT taking the advice. Ive said many times I appreciate it. THe only advice im NOT taking is to NOT run a marathon. Ive signed up, its going to happen :).
  • Chimis_Siq
    Options
    Ok, I just want to ask the obvious question: OP, do you know if you ENJOY running? Because marathon training is absolutely grueling even for those who love to run.

I'm not trying to talk you out of it. If you enjoy running, and you're in good health, there's no reason not to try. I just wanted to make sure you thought about this part. Because if you discover that you hate running, this is going to suck--bad.

I dont know yet. lol...but I like to challenge myself, I like to see my body accomplishing things Ive always dreamt of doing, I like seeing my body change. Ive tried every type of exercise, an running is the only overwhelming one ive never attempted. It will be my holy grail. :)
  • CharliesInCharge
    CharliesInCharge Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    So yeah. I did it. lol..Im running a FULL marathon MAY 2015. I cant run. Well maybe for 30 seconds.

I did it because in 6 days I will have had 1 yr on this fitness journey. Ive come leaps and bounds. Long story short..I was immobile at 272 lbs a year ago to now being active, almost 50 lbs lighter, and ALIVE! Sorry Im also 29! :)

SO to reward myself for my year, Ive registered for a FULL Marathon. Im a rookie. I know the road is going to be long, but I got this! (I think ..lol).

Any tips for a first time Marathoner would be amzing! Something that you learned doing yours that noone told you. I want the good the bad and the ugly. Female advice also greatly appreciated for obvious reasons.

HELP skinny at heart person out! :)

Here's my tip: switch to a half.

Why? First, I'm not saying it's impossible. Anything is possible. However, I had people tell me the things I'm going to tell you, but I didn't listen. Unlike you, I was able to run for 30 seconds. I was able to run for 3 hours, and had a 1:45 half marathon under my belt. I lost 30lbs here, and was in the best shape of my life. And then I got all "I can do anything" and signed up for a marathon.

You have a lot to be proud of, and I can understand wanting that feather in your cap after all you've accomplished, and a marathon is a huge feather. However, as someone who has put in the time and mileage and ran a marathon prematurely (and I'm doing several more in the fall, but I gave it another good year and 2000 miles ran), I will say that a marathon is not something you just "run" into blindly. Sign up for a 5K. Then a 10K. Then a half marathon. A marathon that is properly trained for and ran is not easy, even for the most experienced runner.

Bottom line: you can't run for 30 seconds. You're still overweight (212 lbs). Even if you lose another incredible 50lbs (really, great job on that), you're looking at most likely a 5-6 hour haul, and that's assuming you can train and your body reacts well to the workload.

could not have said it better... I started again (I had run a few 5k's 25yrs ago) with a 5k in Dec 2012.. ran a 10k in October 2013 and just in May of 2014 did my first half

my times are decent but I still don't feel I could do a full any time soon.. A half is a great great accomplishment that I am damn proud of

5K: first one Dec 2012 34:42
    10k oct 2013 55;52
    best 5k nov 2013 24:47

half may of 2014 .. 2 hr 15 min.

I still look at the half time on my profile page and think I am on someone elses page

don't bite off something too big.. run a half ;)
  • ejoy77
    ejoy77 Posts: 19 Member
    Options

This is also very true. I really enjoy running, and yet there were still times when I was training for the marathon when it was so difficult, and I questioned why I had ever signed up in the first place. I won't lie: those super long training runs can be HARD.

Also, when you first start running, before you've established a fitness base, it's (sometimes) not that much fun. I mean, you are teaching your body to exert itself in a whole new way, and part of that can be really uncomfortable.

But I still think you shouldn't get ahead of yourself. Right now, building the running base is the place to start. You have 11 months to figure out if you can stick this out, if it's worth it, and if you like it. I think it's entirely within the realm of possiblity that you can (and will!) do the marathon. But I also think, if you decide half way through the year that a half marathon is a better goal for you right now, then that's a totally incredible and respectable goal as well. You've got the rest of your life to work toward a marathon, or beyond that!
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

Im not NOT taking the advice. Ive said many times I appreciate it. THe only advice im NOT taking is to NOT run a marathon. Ive signed up, its going to happen :).

but that ***IS THE ADVICE***

*backs out of thread*
  • Chimis_Siq
    Options

This is also very true. I really enjoy running, and yet there were still times when I was training for the marathon when it was so difficult, and I questioned why I had ever signed up in the first place. I won't lie: those super long training runs can be HARD.

Also, when you first start running, before you've established a fitness base, it's (sometimes) not that much fun. I mean, you are teaching your body to exert itself in a whole new way, and part of that can be really uncomfortable.

But I still think you shouldn't get ahead of yourself. Right now, building the running base is the place to start. You have 11 months to figure out if you can stick this out, if it's worth it, and if you like it. I think it's entirely within the realm of possiblity that you can (and will!) do the marathon. But I also think, if you decide half way through the year that a half marathon is a better goal for you right now, then that's a totally incredible and respectable goal as well. You've got the rest of your life to work toward a marathon, or beyond that!

I really appreciate this post. Totally right. Fitness wise, I believe im not that behind. I have worked up over the past year and gained alot of appreciation for how strong my body is. I did the c25k last night and could have probably pushed harder but I didnt want to injure or tire myself out its only day 1. There have been many things in my life that people tell me are not possible...however...i have and will continue to push myself. It fuels the fire. You are right if 8 months in I really just dont want to run the full, I dont have too..even a 5 k is a win in my book. Ill keep re-evaluating my goals as I move forward and hit months down the road :)
  • swangwcb
    swangwcb Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    So yeah. I did it. lol..Im running a FULL marathon MAY 2015. I cant run. Well maybe for 30 seconds.

I did it because in 6 days I will have had 1 yr on this fitness journey. Ive come leaps and bounds. Long story short..I was immobile at 272 lbs a year ago to now being active, almost 50 lbs lighter, and ALIVE! Sorry Im also 29! :)

SO to reward myself for my year, Ive registered for a FULL Marathon. Im a rookie. I know the road is going to be long, but I got this! (I think ..lol).

Any tips for a first time Marathoner would be amzing! Something that you learned doing yours that noone told you. I want the good the bad and the ugly. Female advice also greatly appreciated for obvious reasons.

HELP skinny at heart person out! :)

Hellllloooo first and foremost welcome to the grind!

I am running my 6th marathon in the fall and each time I learn something new.

For my first marathon, I followed Nike's 16 week training schedule to a Tee. Didn't miss a beat. That being said, there are a lot of marathon plans out there and you need to find what works for you. Every year, I end up finding one that I like the looks of and now tweak it. Training doesn't typically start until 16 weeks out, but as you said in your initial post you can't run right now. 26.2 is a realllly looong waaays to go not knowing if you even like distance running. I'm not going to discourage as I think this is great but I suggest you start some mild training now. Get your distance up to about 6 miles. Most training plans assume you can run that and factor that in to their 16 week plans. If this is something you really want to do, its not impossible - it will take a lot of work leading up to February, before actual training starts. That all being said, things I think you should know:

* Running is a mental game. Somedays you will love it, other days you will hate it. Some runs will be amazing and others won't. You need to be able to decipher for yourself these days and not allow them to get you down. Find yourself a running mantra for the tough days. Mine is, "One day you will no longer be able to do this, today is NOT that day" There are tons out there and all you need to do is to google.

*Running is personal. Determine within yourself why you want to do this and write those reasons down and have the list readily available for times when you question it. Try not to look at your runs as work but rather release. I get some of my best ideas on a run. But know running is the one place you can go and that moment will be all yours.

*As daunting as the marathon can be, there are so many wonderful aspects on race day that will make you forget your nerves. I run Chicago every year which has 1.2 million people present and the streets are lined with spectators and supporters. I don't know which marathon you signed up for but courses that are highly touted help you beat the mental and emotional stresses on race day.

* Learn how to eat properly. When you start training, you feel HANGRY all the damn time. Your body will adjust but its not a reason to not carefully monitor your intake. A lot of people gain weight during marathon training. Carbo- loading sounds like fun but not as effective as people once thought. Runners diets consist of a lot of veggies, fruits, low fat dairy and grains. This all brings me to another very important, TMI topic: POOP. If you do not properly control your nutrition leading up to AM runs or race days - you may find your bowel movements to be off or needing to poop in the middle of a run with nowhere to go. In the days leading up to races, you need to cut back on high-fat, High-protein, large amounts of dairy and High- processed foods. The reason being is how it creates a waste in your body and how your body needs to dispel of it. Runner's world is a great magazine that explained this to me a loooong time ago. Active.com also posts a lot of informative pieces.

* Learn how to fuel. Use your long runs to figure out how to fuel yourself. Which Gu's, Gels, chomps, drinks, etc. work. Typically, you shouldn't need to refuel until after 6 miles and then every 6 after that. I find gels to be gross, they just don't work for me so I like Gatorade's line of chews and pretzels. You will also need to determmine how and when to take water and electrolyte. Invest in a runners belt for training, if you have a well-run marathon, you won't need to carry it then. To get a variety of different fueling samples, I use Runner's Box subscription service, each month they'll send you a box full of runner's goodies.

* Porta potties are gross. Invest in a small pouch that either goes on your running belt or you can use for race day that you can carry bandaids, wipes and other necessary items in. (*cough* lady products * cough* )

* Your body will do weird things while it adapts, your TOM may change - it may get better or worse depending on your body. You will learn very quickly how and what affects your body. You will feel pain in places you didn't know existed.

* Go to a running store, get fitted for shoes and change them every 3-6 months to avoid injury. While there invest in a foam roller ( trigger point is fantastic) Body glide ( no one likes chub rub - use this around your bra, arms and most definitely between your legs), running sunglasses, garmin ( or something other than a phone app that give you an accurate mileage) and Tech tees and shorts. This is special material that is sweat-wicking and breathable. NEVER wear cotton. If you have big boobs, get a maximum compression sports bra and strap those ladies down! They will also fit you for this at any good running store. Make sure anything that you wear on race day, you have tested on a long run.

* Get a 26.2 support crew - a group of people who will follow you around and cheer you on in the marathon and set a plan so you know when you will see them. This is a bonding activity every year for me and BFF. But instead of counting down mile markers, you will focus on when you will next see your group.

* Getting your period on race day or any day around it sucks. Especially if you crap or have any type of issues. If you are on BC and control it, skip it altogether you will be so much happier.

* Get a reallllly good playlist and have a "go -to" song. Whenever you get hit in the middle of a run and just aren't feeling it anymore, go to your song and get yourself pumped back up. It usually helps if its upbeat. Mine right now is Macklemore's Can't hold us

* DO YOUR TEMPO RUNS! They make a huge difference in pace!

* CROSS-TRAIN! It helps with pacing and avoiding injury. Spinning and swimming is great cross-training.

*Do not skip strength training. Make sure to focus on your core and lift on both lower body and upper body. Even though running seems to be a lower body activity, you will draw a lot of energy from pumping your arms as well.

* Keep in mind, you will get passed and you will pass others. But your only competition is you, your own time and your own goals. Its no one else's race except yours.

* Do yoga. Especially if you hate regular stretching. Its a lot less boring in my opinion but its really good for opening up the hips which runners often neglect.

* LIsten to your body. it will tell you what it needs.

That's all I have for now, I'm sure there's more. Feel free to friend me or message me with any questions. Hope this helps! Its just one foot in front of the other! Best of luck!

^^^^^ THIS, SO MUCH THIS
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,670 Member
    Options
    Have a back up plan. I had friend try to run one and felt fully prepared. On the day of the marathon, she got some major blisters and foot pain about 15 miles into it. Couldn't finish because of the pain. Good thing she had some friends there to drive her back to her own vehicle. Couldn't imagine having to walk back the last 11 miles.
    You may or may not finish. If you don't, don't get stuck out there.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Chimis_Siq
    Options
    Have a back up plan. I had friend try to run one and felt fully prepared. On the day of the marathon, she got some major blisters and foot pain about 15 miles into it. Couldn't finish because of the pain. Good thing she had some friends there to drive her back to her own vehicle. Couldn't imagine having to walk back the last 11 miles.
    You may or may not finish. If you don't, don't get stuck out there.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Good tip :) My fam will be out there and my brother is running it too.
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    I would like to run a marathon in my late mother's honor. 2 years ago I picked up running. Last year I ran a half marathon. I run 3-5 days a week and I'm a road race junky. Seriously my catch phrase might as well be "I can't, I have a race that day" I'm finally going to run a marathon at the end of July. I'll have run 2 half marathons by then. One last year and one 2 weeks ago as it was part of my training schedule.

I feel that if I complete my training now I'll be ready for it. I won't be setting any records but I ran my halves in 2:10:13 and 2:10:21 so I am running 9:57 miles at that distance and I'll be happy for 10:20 miles for my marathon.

I think 2 years under my belt and on my feet is a good enough leadup. My first race happened at the beginning of July in 2012. I was working up to a 5K at that point but got peer pressured into a 10K. I did a fair amount of walking during that race on that day but I can totally run a 10K pillar to post except for walking through water stations which I always do because that short break yields benefits and I don't wear my water.